Thread: Rivalries 101 -

Veteran

Rivalries 101 -

The Americans Guide to an good old fashioned hateball...

For me it's the most important thing that seperates the US sports from Europe and South America.

I know its not nice and Roger Goodell wouldn't approve but it's just so much fun to paint banners and chant incessently about how many sexual encounters the opposing goalie's mother has had, and will continue to have over the course of a single match.

Yesterday there was the Argentinian derby Boca-River, in this dumbfounding era of sports television currently in Turkey we can watch matches live from the Argentinian, Portugese, Italian, English, German, Spanish and Scottish leagues. I haven't seen a french game but it's probably there

Boca won 1-0 away and after the game I saw these circulating: I can roughly understand that Boca questions the mascunlinty of River supporters but if anyone can translate verbatim it'll be much appriciated..

So I thought this might be a good thread where we can share the joy of hatred, and spread the word for hooligans everywhere.

Veteran
    Another highprofile Derby from this weekend was played in Madrid and Real beat Atletico 2-1 with a last minute penalty...

Jets Insider VIP
    One of my favorite stories involves the Bordeaux/Marseille rivalry.

This took place in the late 80’s where both teams had very charismatic Presidents, who were also very shady…if not borderline mafia. Also, this was a time were French club football was more on the European map than it is today.

Claude Bez for Bordeaux
    Bernard Tapie for Marseille

Anyways, VERY bad blood between the teams, and Presidents. Players who had the bad idea of switching teams were brutally taken care of during away games.

Anyways, Bordeaux was getting ready to play in Marseille which is literally the pulse of French football. Fanatical fans.

Bez announced he’d go to the game in a pink Cadillac. This sounds very gay but you didn’t laugh to this dude’s face. He was dead serious and everyone was calling his bluff. He did this to take a bit of pressure of the players and put the attention on him.

Lo and behold, the day of the game he shows up, in a pink Cadillac with Bordeaux plates and parks in the friggin parking lot. He walks by all the Marseille supporters, into the stands, getting insulted and spat on.

The players getting ready to play in the locker room, heard what had just happened…and came out of foaming at the mouths, ready to give everything for their president. Bordeaux won.

I love that story.

Veteran
    I grew up hating Bordeaux for the sole reason that they got beat by Fenerbahçe and gave them a reason to shoot their mouths off for a couple of years. They had a great team in those years, Tigana and Giresse pops into mind...

Back in those days Turkish football was as irrelevant as they get, England used to beat us 8-0 every chance they get, our club teams usually never made it out of the initial rounds of the European cups until Jupp Derwall came along and transformed Turkish football. Well that's another topic...

Paulie here's some artwork from Fossa De Leoni for you;

Veteran
    Barça 2 Real 0

After the El Classico the point difference is 12 now, Barça looks to be head and shoulders above the competition.

Veteran
    The Old Lady of Italian futbol beat Paulies boys to a pulp last night. Juve 4 Milan 2 was the final score and it could've even been worse for Milan.

It was a great match, Juve played almost perfect and it was a great great night for their supporters with obviously winning the match but also Gianluca Zambrotta got sent off in his first match back at Torino.

Veteran
    The spanish newspaper Marca ran a story about the all time 20 disloaylty acts in futbol. What do you guys think any others that should've made the list?

Oh and I love the Figo photos in the story:

1) Figo. Dal Barcelona al Real Madrid
    2) Roberto Baggio. Dalla Fiorentina alla Juventus
    3) Ruggeri. Dal Boca Juniors al River Plate
    4) Sol Campbell. Dal Tottenham all'Arsenal
    5) Batistuta. Dal River Plate al Boca Juniors
    6) Romario. Dal Flamengo al Fluminense
    7) Cruyff. Dall'Ajax al Feyenoord
    8) Caniggia. Dal River Plate al Boca Juniors
    9) Hugo Sanchez. Dall'Atletico Madrid al Real Madrid
    10) Mo Johnston. Del Celtic al Glasgow Rangers
    11) Tardelli. Dalla Juve all'Inter
    12) Luis Enrique. Dal Real Madrid al Barcellona
    13) Krancjar. Dalla Dinamo Zagabria all'Hajduk Spalato
    14) Paul Ince. Dal West Ham al Manchester United
    15) Laudrup. Dal Barcellona al Real Madrid
    16) Aldo Serena. Dal Torino alla Juventus
    17) Caceres. Dal River Plate al Boca Juniors
    18) Denis Law. Dal Manchester United al Manchester City
    19) Schuster. Dal Barcellona al Real Madrid
    20) Gatti. Dal River Plate al Boca Juniors

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    The spanish newspaper Marca ran a story about the all time 20 disloaylty acts in futbol. What do you guys think any others that should've made the list?

Oh and I love the Figo photos in the story:

1) Figo. Dal Barcelona al Real Madrid
    2) Roberto Baggio. Dalla Fiorentina alla Juventus
    3) Ruggeri. Dal Boca Juniors al River Plate
    4) Sol Campbell. Dal Tottenham all'Arsenal
    5) Batistuta. Dal River Plate al Boca Juniors
    6) Romario. Dal Flamengo al Fluminense
    7) Cruyff. Dall'Ajax al Feyenoord
    8) Caniggia. Dal River Plate al Boca Juniors
    9) Hugo Sanchez. Dall'Atletico Madrid al Real Madrid
    10) Mo Johnston. Del Celtic al Glasgow Rangers
    11) Tardelli. Dalla Juve all'Inter
    12) Luis Enrique. Dal Real Madrid al Barcellona
    13) Krancjar. Dalla Dinamo Zagabria all'Hajduk Spalato
    14) Paul Ince. Dal West Ham al Manchester United
    15) Laudrup. Dal Barcellona al Real Madrid
    16) Aldo Serena. Dal Torino alla Juventus
    17) Caceres. Dal River Plate al Boca Juniors
    18) Denis Law. Dal Manchester United al Manchester City
    19) Schuster. Dal Barcellona al Real Madrid
    20) Gatti. Dal River Plate al Boca Juniors
    I was going to post the Figo story.

The first classico in Barcelona after he defected to Real was explosive; They were jeering him the whole game calling him Judas.

One fan brought in a pigs head and threw it on the field.
    Welcome back.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    I was going to post the Figo story.

The first classico in Barcelona after he defected to Real was explosive; They were jeering him the whole game calling him Judas.

One fan brought in a pigs head and threw it on the field.
    Welcome back.
    That pig's head was only second to the motorcycle thrown to the pitch by Inter fans in the catagory of "foreign objects thrown on the field" IMO.

I also remember the Fiorentina fans smashing the clubs windows and harrasing the employees after Baggios transfer to Juve was announced...

And Rangers fans used famously used to disregard goals scored by Mo Johnston, and they had an alternative points table not to mention death threats and his lawn being set on fire.

Veteran
    The Merseyside derby will be played in the FA Cup as well this year...

Here's a sample of the love from the blue****e: