Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ****New Jersey Nets 08-09 Season****

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

****New Jersey Nets 08-09 Season****

should be interesting, no Kidd,Jefferson,etc i like the squad.

Here is what this years starting lineup will probably look like

This Year
    PG: Devin Harris
    SG: Vince Carter
    SF: Bobby Simmons
    PF: Yi Jianlian
    C: Brook Lopez (R)

with the bench looking like

C-Josh Boone
    F-Sean Williams
    F/C- Ryan Anderson (R)
    G-Chris Douglas-Roberts (R)
    G-Kenyon Dooling
    F-Eduardo Najera
    G-Jarvis Hayes

Head Coach Lawrence Frank

I think this is a playoff team, not yet a Finals Contender though.
    Last edited by Cack89; 10-22-2008 at 01:29 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You had to add the extra asterisk, didn't you?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    haha i know, well considering were talking one New Jersey team, might as well talk another.

=)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nets are one of those squads that could either be the worst team in the NBA or a surprise team that wins around 40 games and makes the playoffs with little or no talent like the 76ers last year or the Jazz a few years ago.

Harris will have a nice year. Vince is Vince, overpaid player who will be expected to carry this team offensively on his back but probably can't. Lopez has looked good - he looks like a real find. Simmons is just a guy. Jianlan could develop into a decent role player.

This organization is clearly rebuilding and gunning for Lebron two years from now.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    They stink. Yi is the worst basketball player.....ever. He's flat footed and can not roll of a screen and knock down a jumper.

Break ground in Brooklyn already especially if you want a realistic shot at Lebron.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    In SI's preview issue they have them last in the east and the least improved team in the league.

I would of liked to see them keep RJ and get rid of Carter

I want to see what the young players do before calling the season, but it looks like its gonna be another long year

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its an interesting squad this year. I think, going back to the Kidd trade, they probably had the best offseason a team has had( other than the Celtics last year in their heist of Garnett), in some time. But the question remains if they can make it work and if the coach can find a way to use everyone. Frank has been awful with his rotations and he does not allow any of his bench guys to get a feel for the game. Maybe now that the stars are almost all gone he will have an easier time with that.

Harris is a good player. Great defender and a little pocket rocket that can get to the rim. Im not sure how well he plays in transition with the other guys. Yi is an athlete, but hasnt shown it yet in the NBA. Vince is not a fast break player. Williams and Roberts are best suited for that but neither would likely start alongside Harris. If Yi can ever find his way out of foul trouble he has really great potential. He has no fundamentals on defense, but offensively the guy can be a terror. I like RJ, but the Nets got a potential superstar back in Yi, a level RJ would never be at. If Yi figures it out he could be Dirk Nowitzki in a few years. Lopez is solid and never should have fallen in the draft. Im not sure why he did to be honest, but I have been disappointed with him in the preseason. He looked much tougher in college and has looked a little on the nervous side in the bit I have seen of him thus far in the preseason.

The bench is deep, but Im not sure very good. I loved Williams in college and thought he would make a good pro, but he has not developed well, hasnt bulked up, and Im not even sure what he can do. He should be watching tapes of Marcus Camby, but right now he just seems too content. With the amount of size the team has he could go by mid-year. Boone is average. No confidence in his offensive game limits him. Roberts and Anderson are both solid guys from college that I think can be good, especially Douglas-Roberts. I think he will get some major minutes by seasons end if he doesnt hit a rookie wall.

I like the team, but who knows how they go. Like someone else mentioned they could be a surprise of just do nothing and be the worst in the league.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is going to be a long season, but the bench actually has some competence. Can't remember the last time we had a two-way backup PG like Dooling, and Hayes/CDR/Anderson should provide some scoring off of the bench. Seems like Williams has regressed, though. He's a goof ball. Boone is a solid backup big man who does the dirty work.

Rotation prediction:

Harris/Dooling
    Carter/Douglas-Roberts
    Simmons/Hayes
    Yi/Anderson
    Lopez/Boone

Odd men out:

Ager
    Hassell
    Najera
    S. Williams (could play a little depending on matchups)
    Swift

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    i was at one of the preseason games and lopez looks like a stud, he can do it all. Yi is far away from being an all around player. He cant play D, dribble or rebound. However, he is an excellent shooter. I think this team will have an above average offense but terrible defense. 7th or 8th seed at best for the nets in 09 is my prediction.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Nets will be decent. Nothing more then that.

PG- very solid here. Harris is definitely a capable starters. Great speed, terrific hands but he is a big time flop. Remember this year, refs will give out technical fouls for flopping and it won't be tolerated like in the past. His offensive game surprised me especially since he shot the three ball decently with NJ last year.

SG- VC is still a damn good player when he's motivated. He's obvious the leader and the longest tenured Net so they'll be looking at him for big things. I expect a 23 6 5 type VC year. Wonder how CDR will do especially since the Nets have implemented the attack offense, some of which was Callipari's at Memphis.

SF- Bobby Simmons had some good seasons in LA, that's how he got his contract. Injury prone but he's a solid player at best. Looked good in preseason. Hayes we all know is instant offense.

PF- Going to be very interesting to see what Yi does. Great offensive skill set but strength and defense are huge problems in his game. Sean Will has good athletic tools but he's a hack. The guy from Cal looked solid and he plays tough.

C- Lopez. Loved him out of college and he is the real deal. Can shoot the mid range, finish at the basket, rebound good and he protects the paint.

So many new players and young players, I wouldn't expect more then 33-38 wins for you guys.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    It will be a long year for the Nets.

As a fan I am optimistic be realistic.

I think early on they will struggle alot, but I think some of the young players like Harris and Lopez in particular will show flashes.

As the season progresses I think they will get better, but I dont see this team making the playoffs this year.

Yi really scares me, watching him play in the preseason he hasn't shown me ANYTHING to think he will progress to a Nowitski type, he is soft, can't play D and all I have seen him do is knock down an occasional jumpshot.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gqxluvx View Post
    It will be a long year for the Nets.

As a fan I am optimistic be realistic.

I think early on they will struggle alot, but I think some of the young players like Harris and Lopez in particular will show flashes.

As the season progresses I think they will get better, but I dont see this team making the playoffs this year.

Yi really scares me, watching him play in the preseason he hasn't shown me ANYTHING to think he will progress to a Nowitski type, he is soft, can't play D and all I have seen him do is knock down an occasional jumpshot.
    Well, the only difference between him and Dirk is hitting more jump shots

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound View Post
    Well, the only difference between him and Dirk is hitting more jump shots
    Fair enough, but I think Dirk is much better rebounder and passer.

Yi (as much as I have seen him) has been inconsistent with his jumpshot as well. The talent is there, but we will have to wait and see.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Solid effort last night...Yi played well and VC played under control..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Figures the Nets get the Pistons WITH AI...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGKIDD325 View Post
    Figures the Nets get the Pistons WITH AI...
    It's not like they were going to do much with them without AI.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't believe they won that game...good win...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a re-building team, so why do Hassell and Simmons play?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Simmons play because he is making alot of money...Hassell I have no idea why..he plays tough D and hustles but cant make a shot...CDR is hurt...

I don't think this team is going to the playoffs..and nor do I want them to...I would like a top 5 pick...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gqxluvx View Post
    Simmons play because he is making alot of money...Hassell I have no idea why..he plays tough D and hustles but cant make a shot...CDR is hurt...

I don't think this team is going to the playoffs..and nor do I want them to...I would like a top 5 pick...
    The Simmons money is a sunk cost, like everyone else's. Losing games costs money too. I think they'll have a higher pick than 5, though.