Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: "Outfitgate" The Great Palin Wardrobe Contoversy Discussion 2008 (Merged x1)

[QUOTE=isired;2820029]well put, i agree for the most part, but i'm not sure McCain thinks this is the best strategy to win the presidential election - it's unfortunately the ONLY one that would get him his party's nomination.[/QUOTE]
    Well he really adopted the strategy after he won the nomination. He could have picked his first choice of Tom Ridge or Lieberman but he was afraid of upsetting the righties. He could have fought for the center, but he gave up that fight by picking Palin.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2820008]
    I didn't hear you objecting then Bit. Seems this aversion to having a wealthy wife is a rather new development for you. [/quote]

i never liked THK or even her husband. 2004 was a while ago but i was never a fan of the super rich wife.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2820008]
    Opinion, not fact. You have no idea (nor do I) how much their clothes cost, or what was given and was what purchased.[/quote]

just like one can tell the value of a car on looks, one can do the same with clothes.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2820008]
    That you beleive Presidential Politics is a Beauty Pageant, until it's the other side that engages in looking good?[/QUOTE]

I don't care if people play the game, just don't pretend you don't. palin is talking about real america and small business owners on one hand and other the other she's racking up 150k in shopping bills. that's hypocracy to say you are a hockey mom and all these other things but actually she's just another celeb.

[QUOTE=bitonti;2820054]
    I don't care if people play the game, just don't pretend you don't. palin is talking about real america and small business owners on one hand and other the other she's racking up 150k in shopping bills. that's hypocracy to say you are a hockey mom and all these other things but actually she's just another celeb.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm kinda tired of defending someone I don't really like (Palin) in any form, so this'll be it for me.

But I don't hear her doing what you claim.

I hear her say she WAS a "Normal, everyday, Hockey Mom" which is still something of a strech, of course.

Now, she's a VP Candidate. With that comes looking good for the National Audience. I don't exactly support using campaign funds to do so, but I also don't think it's a legitimate beef if they do, the funds are there to help them campaign and win, and appearance is part of that, obviously.

I just think it's funny (and sad) that this is the issue today, 2 weeks from Election Day.

Politics as usual for usual Politicans I suppose.

Banned
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2820054]i never liked THK or even her husband. 2004 was a while ago but i was never a fan of the super rich wife. [/QUOTE]

Wow bit. You are truly the king of bullsh*t artists.

[QUOTE=bitonti;2820054]just like one can tell the value of a car on looks, one can do the same with clothes. [/QUOTE]

What about ridiculous stages to give convention speeches on? Can you do the same with that? :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=bitonti;2820054]I don't care if people play the game, just don't pretend you don't. palin is talking about real america and small business owners on one hand and other the other she's racking up 150k in shopping bills. that's hypocracy to say you are a hockey mom and all these other things but actually she's just another celeb.[/QUOTE]

She's running for public office, something you yourself has claimed to be nothing more than a beauty pagent. The woman is a redneck from Alaska whose only positive attribute at this point is her good looks, so the campaign is going to accentuate that.

The Dems have so much more to run on this year than this kind of crap. I'm shocked they are resorting to this right now.

All Pro
    It's funny seeing the same people who were up in arms about a $400 hair cut brush off a $150K shopping spree like it's no big deal.

[QUOTE=bitonti;2819742]you should vote for a man who is honest enough to not use his own campaign donations on luxury items.[/QUOTE]honest...obama...you really want to go there?

[QUOTE=nuu faaola;2819943]He did, via student loans, like most people.[/QUOTE]

Probable so, and Percy Sutton probably has Alzheimer's disease.

But, I wonder how Obama financed his trips during his college years (1981) to
    Indonesia,Pakistan(under Marshal Law)and India?

I know, I know, cheap air line tickets and staying with family and friends.

I guess he knew how to stretch a dollar from way back when.:)

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2820091]Well, I'm kinda tired of defending someone I don't really like (Palin) in any form, so this'll be it for me.

But I don't hear her doing what you claim.

I hear her say she WAS a "Normal, everyday, Hockey Mom" which is still something of a strech, of course.

Now, she's a VP Candidate. With that comes looking good for the National Audience. I don't exactly support using campaign funds to do so, but I also don't think it's a legitimate beef if they do, the funds are there to help them campaign and win, and appearance is part of that, obviously.

I just think it's funny (and sad) that this is the issue today, 2 weeks from Election Day.

Politics as usual for usual Politicans I suppose.[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree. I don't like Palin but don't think this is a big deal. They should have made it a part of the advertising budget, or found a way that it wouldn't be so glaring.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=chicadeel;2820144]I know, I know, cheap air line tickets and staying with family and friends [B]and terrorists or freinds and family that are terrorists[/B]..[/QUOTE]

fixed

More mystery on the wardrobe

October 23, 2008, 1:20 pm

Wardrobe Mysteries Linger
    By Michael Luo and Eric Wilson

About that wardrobe …

There are still aspects of the Republican National Committee’s shopping sprees on behalf of Gov. Sarah Palin and her family that are murky.

Some of the fashion experts consulted Wednesday, for instance, about the $150,000 in purchases that appeared on Federal Election Commission records were puzzled by where all of that money had gone, given what they had seen of Ms. Palin’s wardrobe.

Consider also the $4,902.45 charge at Atelier New York, a high-end men’s store, presumably for Ms. Palin’s husband, Todd, the famous First Dude.

Karlo Steel, an owner there, said he had gone through the store’s receipts for September, twice, and found no sales that matched that amount, nor any combination of sales that added up to the total. Because the store carries aggressively directional men’s wear, he caters to a small clientèle and knows most of his customers by name, as well as the history of their purchases.

When The Caucus called Mr. Steel back to ask him to also check August sales just in case, Mr. Steel said he found one purchase that came close to the amount in the campaign finance reports but said that he knew who that customer was and it certainly was not Mr. Palin. Neither was it Jeff Larson, the Republican consultant who showed up in campaign finance records as the one who footed the initial bill before being reimbursed by the R.N.C.

The store carries expensive cut-up T-shirts and tricky suits from avant-garde designers, like Raf Simons, Yohji Yamamoto and Ann Demeulemeester, none of whom typically create beltway-appropriate attire.

“We have no recollection of that sale and no idea what they are talking about,” Mr. Steel said.

There was similar confusion when The Caucus spoke with Jon and Wing Witthuhn, owners of Pacifier, a high-end children’s boutique in Minneapolis, where records show two charges of $98, one at Pacifier’s downtown location and another at its store in the northeast part of the city.

Mr. Witthuhn clearly recalled one of the $98 charges because it was the night of Sept. 3, just hours before Ms. Palin’s speech at the Republican National Convention. A woman burst into his store, he recalled, saying she needed outfits for several children, including a 6-month-old boy. Mr. Witthuhn explained they did not carry clothes beyond toddler age but helped her pick out a blue-striped convertible romper by Egg Baby ($60), a matching monkey-ear hat ($32) and Trumpette baby socks ($6).

After the woman explained her shopping was related to the convention and paid with a credit card number she read off of a Blackberry, it dawned on Mr. Witthuhn that he was potentially helping to outfit one of the country’s most famous infants—Trig Palin, Ms. Palin’s youngest.

Sure enough, when Mr. Witthuhn turned on the television that night, there was Trig Palin wearing the outfit purchased at Pacifier, right down to the socks—but sans the monkey-ear hat.

But as for the other $98 charge, both Mr. Witthuhn and his wife, Wing, were stumped. After going through their receipts, Mrs. Witthuhn found another $98 purchased on Sept. 9 but it was for clothing for a 2-year-old — the Palins do not have a 2-year-old.

The purchase was a little black t-shirt featuring the Ramones, as well as a striped hoodie, a pair of pants with a tiger on it and a pair of cargo pants, all from Tea Collection.

“Sounds like somebody is using it for personal use,” Mrs. Witthuhn said.

When Republican officials were queried, they said they had no concerns about any illegitimate charges and said they considered the matter closed.

At least one mystery, however, has been solved.

The F.E.C. records showed a “Lisa L. Kine” was reimbursed for more than $2,000 in charges, including those made at Pacifier, as well as others at Macy’s, the Gap, Steinlauf & Stoller, a sewing supply store in New York, and Oshman Brothers, for “tailoring supplies.” The New York address listed traces to Lisa Kline, not Kine. Could this be the mystery stylist for Ms. Palin?

Some blogs jumped to the conclusion that this must be Lisa Kline, the owner of several trendy boutiques in Los Angeles often frequented by celebrities, including Paris Hilton and Britney Spears.

The blog, daddytypes.com, fueled the speculation by e-mailing the Witthuhns a video of Ms. Kline, and Mr. Witthuhn said he was “pretty sure it’s her! CRAZY!!!”

Mrs. Witthuhn said today that her husband was “85 percent” sure but not 100 percent.

Calls on Wednesday by The Caucus to a business and home phone number found for the R.N.C.’s Lisa Kline in New York were not returned.

But a search of business records identifies the Los Angeles Lisa Kline as Lisa W. Kline, not L.

And Kate Diamond, a spokeswoman for Lisa Kline in Los Angeles, e-mailed that she wished she could accept the publicity from the connection but, alas, “Lisa has done no shopping for the Palins.”
    [URL="http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/23/wardrobe-mysteries-linger/?pagemode=print"]http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/23/wardrobe-mysteries-linger/?pagemode=print[/URL]

[QUOTE=parafly;2820123]It's funny seeing the same people who were up in arms about a $400 hair cut brush off a $150K shopping spree like it's no big deal.[/QUOTE]

See, the difference is, I wasn't "up in arms" over Edwards hair.

I just think it's funny to hear him bemoan "Two Americas" as if he were in the poor one, when he was clearly in the wealthy one.

Palin, on the other hand, did indeed live pretty much in the poorer of Edwards "Two Americas". They certainly weren't crying poverty (please don't misunderstand me here) but they weren't Edwards-level-Wealthy, or McCain-level or Kerry-level or even Obama-level.

That was then. Then they were what they claim.

Now is different. She's the VP Nom. No one expects her to come rolling out in Wal-Mart clothes, and if she did I think many of the folks here would call her dishonest, duplicitous, pandering, etc, etc, etc. Damned if she does, damned if she doesn't.

If she buys into expensive clothes to "look the part" she's a hypcorite liar.

If she stays cheap-o and is "just herself" she looks bad (or more accurately, average) and is called a dishonest pandering liar.

Like I said, damned if you do, damned if you don't. Obama can spend millions on Stadiums and Columns and Messiah-like Laser-Light Shows, and it's cool, but outfits (for a women) means evil *****?

I've been defending her here, not out of support, but because there are more legitimate issues to discuss than this kind of Tabloid Politics.

And I've been defending her because, as you yourself point out, many of the folks who defended Edwards, and defended Heinz-Kerry, are now crushing Palin. Hypocricy for Policial reasons is clearly a two-way-street round here.

But again, with all that said, it's all a laugh for me, I don;t even like Palin. Not at all.

I just have to laugh.

Joe the Plumber life, the media has covered.

"Outfitgate" and theobvious conspiracy of fraud the media has covered.

William Ayers? Who's that? He's just some well-respected Professor, no need to even talk to him.

I know, I know, the Evil Right Wing Media is helping McCain. Gotcha.

I should have merged these two threads a while back, sorry....my bad on that. :(

[QUOTE=Warfish;2820199]I just have to laugh.

Joe the Plumber life, the media has covered.

"Outfitgate" and theobvious conspiracy of fraud the media has covered.

William Ayers? Who's that? He's just some well-respected Professor, no need to even talk to him.

I know, I know, the Evil Right Wing Media is helping McCain. Gotcha.[/QUOTE]

You don't think the Ayers angle has been covered? I'm pretty sure everyone know who he is. Why else would people be calling Obama a terrorist?

The media like NEW stories however silly they are.

Jets Insider VIP
    War:

"One Side Sees Government as the Problem and Freedom as the Cure – The Other Side Sees Freedom as the Problem and Government as the Cure"

I have to laugh at this part of your sig. That may have been the case 20 years ago. But the Repubs have lost their way. Now the two sides have come down to "Big Government vs. Bigger Government".

[QUOTE=FF2®;2820214]You don't think the Ayers angle has been covered? I'm pretty sure everyone know who he is. Why else would people be calling Obama a terrorist?

The media like NEW stories however silly they are.[/QUOTE]

Right Wing Radio? Yes.

Politically Aware Partisans? Yes.

Mainstream, middle-of-the-road, CBS/ABC/NBC Watching America? No. Not there, and not in any kind of depth.

If anything, the coverage I've seen in the MSM has been glossy, shallow, fluff, usually designed to attack McCain for suggesting Obama may be anything other than perfect.

[QUOTE=Guido Monzino;2820216]War:

"One Side Sees Government as the Problem and Freedom as the Cure – The Other Side Sees Freedom as the Problem and Government as the Cure"

I have to laugh at this part of your sig. That may have been the case 20 years ago. But the Repubs have lost their way. Now the two sides have come down to "Big Government vs. Bigger Government".[/QUOTE]

My Sig has nothing to do with Republicans and Democrats. ;)

[QUOTE=sourceworx;2820103]Wow bit. You are truly the king of bullsh*t artists.[/quote]

thanks i come from a long and distinguished line of bs artists

[QUOTE=sourceworx;2820103]
    What about ridiculous stages to give convention speeches on? Can you do the same with that? :rolleyes:

[/QUOTE]

you don't keep the stage in your closet after it's done. not really the same.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2820184]Now is different. She's the VP Nom. No one expects her to come rolling out in Wal-Mart clothes, and if she did I think many of the folks here would call her dishonest, duplicitous, pandering, etc, etc, etc. Damned if she does, damned if she doesn't.

If she buys into expensive clothes to "look the part" she's a hypcorite liar.
    [/QUOTE]

fish you have to admit there's a wide middle ground between wal mart and spending what most people make in a year in one visit to neiman marcus. it's ok to wear expensive clothes... but these are closer to obscene... and purchased with campaign dollars.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2820242]My Sig has nothing to do with Republicans and Democrats. ;)[/QUOTE]

You mean we have another choice??? :eek: