Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Outfitgate" The Great Palin Wardrobe Contoversy Discussion 2008 (Merged x1)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a blip on the radar when it comes to Palin's deficiencies. Anyone that doesn't vote for her ticket due to this just woke up from a long nap. Its not a huge deal to me but in light of the way she has portrayed herself it is disappointing.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I, for one, was happy to see that little Piper got that Louis Vuitton bag. Every 6 year old should have one.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SanAntonio_JetFan;2819568]Obama is spending the least money of any candidate ever.

He's so frugal.[/QUOTE]

he's spending campaign money on legitimate campaign expenses, not shopping sprees.

joe the plumber shops at neiman marcus and saks right?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Obama's shoes are McCain plants.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;2819535]Wow. Really? Didn't every conservative get up in arms about Edwards $400 haircut. Now you are criticizing Obama for spending money raised on the campaign trail?

That's absurd[/QUOTE]

Edwards did parade around the country lecturing (for hefty speaker fees, BTW) about the "two Americas" all the while getting celebrity stylists to cut his hair and have escapades at the Beverly Hills Hotel. Any arrows slung in his direction by conservatives were well deserved.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2819642]Edwards did parade around the country lecturing (for hefty speaker fees, BTW) about the "two Americas" all the while getting celebrity stylists to cut his hair and have escapades at the Beverly Hills Hotel. Any arrows slung in his direction by conservatives were well deserved.[/QUOTE]

And Palin keeps talking about how's she's a "Hockey Mom" and understands exactly what middle class people are going through.

Either way, *****ing about either is stupid in my opinion. It was stupid 4 years ago when talking about Edwards, and it's stupid today when talking about Palin.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2819642]Edwards did parade around the country lecturing (for hefty speaker fees, BTW) about the "two Americas" all the while getting celebrity stylists to cut his hair and have escapades at the Beverly Hills Hotel. Any arrows slung in his direction by conservatives were well deserved.[/QUOTE]

And Palin implies she is Jane "six-pack" when she isn't, sure she's as dumb as the average person on the corner and her kids are as disfunctional as the average American's but she's got Gucci taste apparently. At least Edwards made his money on his own.

I thought about this some, and if I really went wild on clothes, I mean really wild -- I could imagine spending maybe 30K on myself. For a woman, I'll go a little higher 40K. Seriously, I had a three-piece suit custom made from the most expensive Italian fabric in the store for my wedding and four custom shirts to go with it -- and I spent $1,500. She bought the equivalent of 100 custom Italian suits? How? Think about the time she must have spent doing this, its almost inconceivable.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Bit... let's hope this is the closest he gets to Adlai "Lost by a landslide twice" Stevenson.

[IMG]http://www.flintjournal.com/125/paper/galleries/history/image/pulitzer.jpg[/IMG]

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=fukushimajin;2819676]And Palin implies she is Jane "six-pack" when she isn't, sure she's as dumb as the average person on the corner and her kids are as disfunctional as the average American's but she's got Gucci taste apparently. At least Edwards made his money on his own.

I thought about this some, and if I really went wild on clothes, I mean really wild -- I could imagine spending maybe 30K on myself. For a woman, I'll go a little higher 40K. Seriously, I had a three-piece suit custom made from the most expensive Italian fabric in the store for my wedding and four custom shirts to go with it -- and I spent $1,500. She bought the equivalent of 100 custom Italian suits? How? Think about the time she must have spent doing this, its almost inconceivable.[/QUOTE]

Wow, where to start here.....

1. Obama has also played the "man of the people, regular Joe" card plenty of times. It's not exactly uncommon in a Political race, despite it's obvious dishonesty. Bashing Palin for something they all do is intellectually dishonest.

2. Her Kids are "dysfunctional"? Because one got pregnant? What happened to Liberal tolerance and understanding? In the grand scheme of dysfunction, Palin's kids are distinctly middle-of-the-road-average.

3. When it comes to cost, the answer is easy.....Designers. Your custome suit, which I am sure was great, was not designer. I would bet good money Palin's clothers were. as were Michelle Obama's, John McCain's, Cindy McCains, Hillary Clintons, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. End of teh day, reports say she will be donating these clothes away.

And if cost of clothes in what Bitonti has accurately desribed as a "Beauty contest" is an issue, how about the cost of clothes worn in Holywood? In TV News? Those folks wear far more expensive clothes just for fun, not to get elected to the second highest office in the US.

Look, in a world where we have buckets of legitimate qualification, communication, understanding and policy issues to beat up Palin for, in an election Obama has already all but won, it reeks of something stinky and unpleasant that some folks still feel the need to lower themselves to these types of clearly hypocritical attacks.

The simple fact is, if we got a line-item-detail of both Campaigns and Parties use of campaign donations, I am sure we'd all find tons of things we could object to individually. It's not like Obama and Co. didn;t rent a Stadium and festoon it with Roman Columns you know.;)

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sarah is WAY hotter though.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2819524]ya know how hard it is to spend 150k on clothes and shoes?

meanwhile these shoes have already been resoled once

[IMG]http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/1954/19vt2.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

So I should vote for a guy who can't afford a pair of shoes?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2819708]

The simple fact is, if we got a line-item-detail of both Campaigns and Parties use of campaign donations, I am sure we'd all find tons of things we could object to individually. It's not like Obama and Co. didn;t rent a Stadium and festoon it with Roman Columns you know.;)[/QUOTE]

Go line by line in any campaign you won't find anything as egregious at this.

there's a difference between legitimate and non-legitimate expenses 150k on clothes is not a legitimate expense. The fact GOP'ers say they are donating these clothes to charity is a tacit admission of guilt. Because if they didn't (or maybe if they did) it is not above board.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let me guess what this means. Obama MUST know what is better for the economy right?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2819587]he's spending campaign money on legitimate campaign expenses, not shopping sprees.

joe the plumber shops at neiman marcus and saks right?[/QUOTE]

Was the Greek Columns and Holy Savior Poli-show a "legitimate campaign expense".;)

Really Bit, I DO expect better than this from you. I guess you think Obama really is just like you, eh? Just a regular guy, with holes in his shoes JUST LIKE YOU!

Lol.:rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chirorob;2819731]So I should vote for a guy who can't afford a pair of shoes?[/QUOTE]

you should vote for a man who is honest enough to not use his own campaign donations on luxury items.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2819736]Go line by line in any campaign you won't find anything as egregious at this.

there's a difference between legitimate and non-legitimate expenses 150k on clothes is not a legitimate expense. The fact GOP'ers say they are donating these clothes to charity is a tacit admission of guilt. Because if they didn't (or maybe if they did) it is not above board.[/QUOTE]

/points at Bit.

/Laughs.

:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Bit]O-bah-mah! O-bah-mah! O-bah-mah![/QUOTE]

In the future Bit, thats all we need from you if you have nothing of worth to say.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2819708]Wow, where to start here.....

1. Obama has also played the "man of the people, regular Joe" card plenty of times. It's not exactly uncommon in a Political race, despite it's obvious dishonesty. Bashing Palin for something they all do is intellectually dishonest.

2. Her Kids are "dysfunctional"? Because one got pregnant? What happened to Liberal tolerance and understanding? In the grand scheme of dysfunction, Palin's kids are distinctly middle-of-the-road-average.

3. When it comes to cost, the answer is easy.....Designers. Your custome suit, which I am sure was great, was not designer. I would bet good money Palin's clothers were. as were Michelle Obama's, John McCain's, Cindy McCains, Hillary Clintons, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. End of teh day, reports say she will be donating these clothes away.

And if cost of clothes in what Bitonti has accurately desribed as a "Beauty contest" is an issue, how about the cost of clothes worn in Holywood? In TV News? Those folks wear far more expensive clothes just for fun, not to get elected to the second highest office in the US.

Look, in a world where we have buckets of legitimate qualification, communication, understanding and policy issues to beat up Palin for, in an election Obama has already all but won, it reeks of something stinky and unpleasant that some folks still feel the need to lower themselves to these types of clearly hypocritical attacks.

The simple fact is, if we got a line-item-detail of both Campaigns and Parties use of campaign donations, I am sure we'd all find tons of things we could object to individually. It's not like Obama and Co. didn;t rent a Stadium and festoon it with Roman Columns you know.;)[/QUOTE]

I'll deal with the dysfunction first: When your two eldest kids in this day and age have no plans for college and who aren't skilled craftsmen, you have dysfunctional kids, period. That's well below average for any sort of professional, upwardly mobile family. All of this is fine, but you cannot run for office on the strength of your morals & family without making this sort of thing subject to some public evaluation.

Flatly, no, you will not find this kind of waste in other campaigns -- it all gets reported and would be exposed by the other side or by the press if it existed. Clothing is an extremely unusual expense and is a huge red-flag -- at least under NY law. My understanding is that a campaign isn't supposed to furnish anyone with personal property. A laptop or phone might be the closet thing. (You're a great fellow, but you always argue "everybody does it!)

Its true that I didn't buy designer, buy why would Palin need to for the campaign trail? Why not a dozen professional outfits and some nice blazers? How do you get to 150K?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2819741]Was the Greek Columns and Holy Savior Poli-show a "legitimate campaign expense".;)
    [/QUOTE]

yes it was. He had higher than average demand for people to see him speak, and he upgraded the size and scope of venue. That's a legitimate campaign expense. He served the people with that expense.

If McCain/Palin needed to upgrade to a stadium to give a big speech that's legit as well.

What isn't legit is using campaign donations for luxury clothes, and keeping those clothes. That's illegal.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some tax attorneys are saying that she will have to pay taxes on the use of the clothes, even if they are "owned" by the GOP and they are donated to charity. I don't like her, but that sounds kind of harsh to me.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2819708]Look, in a world where we have buckets of legitimate qualification, communication, understanding and policy issues to beat up Palin for, in an election Obama has already all but won, it reeks of something stinky and unpleasant that some folks still feel the need to lower themselves to these types of [B]clearly hypocritical attacks[/B]. [/QUOTE]

if it has to be bolded to connect with people, i'll bold it: [b]john edwards[/b].