Thread: Maradona Named New Coach for Argentina

Jets Insider VIP

Maradona Named New Coach for Argentina

I have a bad feeling about this..

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Diego Maradona offered job as Argentina national-team coach

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) -- Diego Maradona was offered a chance to coach Argentina's soccer team, but declined to say Tuesday whether he accepted.

Maradona and Carlos Bilardo were asked to lead the national team by Julio Grondona, head of the country's soccer association.

Maradona would be the coach and Bilardo the general director, but the pair would not confirm whether they accepted the positions after leaving the meeting with Grondona.

"We have to keep talking," Maradona said. "There are some things to resolve. This is just beginning."

Bilardo agreed: "Are things getting started? Yes."

Grondona has led the search for a coach following Alfio Basile's recent resignation for personal reasons he's yet to make public.

Bilardo is the head of the Sports Secretariat for Buenos Aires province.

Maradona's own coaching experiences have not been positive.

He led Deportivo Mandiyu in 1994 and Racing Club in 1995, and in both cases left before his contract was up.

Maradona regarded teammates from his 1986 World Cup champion side also worthy national coaches, players such as Jose Luis Brown, Pedro Troglio and Sergio Batista.

Maradona captained Argentina to the 1986 World Cup title and the 1990 final. The next year, his drug-plagued fall from grace began with a positive test for cocaine leading to a 15-month ban from the Serie A. At the 1994 World Cup he tested positive for a stimulant and received another 15-month ban. He retired as a player in 1997 after failing another doping test.

This decade Maradona, who remains wildly popular in Argentina, has reportedly been close to death while battling heart problems, high blood pressure and obesity.

Last year he was hospitalized twice for acute hepatitis blamed on alcohol abuse.

This will not be a positive for the team.

They need to have a true coach and I don't believe Diego is one.

Well, we won't have to worry about facing Argentina in any international competitions.

Diego Maradona AlladrugsIwanna?

Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Diego Maradona AlladrugsIwanna?

Brilliant.
    Has he cleaned himself up at all? I read that he lost some weight and was off the junk for good, but is that for sure? Or is he just waiting for an after-game victory party to let loose again...

Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Has he cleaned himself up at all? I read that he lost some weight and was off the junk for good, but is that for sure? Or is he just waiting for an after-game victory party to let loose again...
    Hope so. However, he could probably STILL play for the US team.

Veteran
    I'll always choose to remember him like this:

Good luck D10s!

wow, this is gonna be a disaster.

Ya'know, I sincerely hope this guy can contribute. I know, there's not lots of compassion for superstars that fall from grace. However, there's nothing more I'd like to see than this guy complete the turnaround and somehow make yet another giant contribution to the sport.

All Pro
    He's going to literally eat Lionel Messi.

Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Ya'know, I sincerely hope this guy can contribute. I know, there's not lots of compassion for superstars that fall from grace. However, there's nothing more I'd like to see than this guy complete the turnaround and somehow make yet another giant contribution to the sport.
    Maradona is one of sports' all-time greats, not just football/soccer, but ALL sports.

but that doesn't mean he's not a brain-dead idiot who can't even form a coherent sentence anymore. the guy is a mess, and he's gonna bomb as a coach. this is the stupidest thing the Argentinian Federation could've done.

Jets Insider VIP
    Drama already....

My guess is he won't coach one game.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ona/index.html

Report: Maradona may step down from Argentina

Just two weeks ago, Diego Maradona was named the new coach of the Argentinean national side, following the resignation of former coach Alfio Basile.

Maradona managed to see off many challengers, including the likes of Diego Simeone, Carlos Bianchi, and Sergio Batista, to officially be named as the new head coach on October 29, 2008.

It was expected that arguably the greatest footballer of all time would commence his role as of December this year, however that may not be the case if the latest reports are true.

The Argentine broadcast media have began to speculate today on a possible surrender of Maradona as coach of the national side, following a heated discussion with AFA president Julio Grondona, in a meeting that was to decide who would assist him in his coaching role.

The 1986 World Player of the Year could resign as a result, following the disagreements that took place earlier today. Maradona had hoped to bring in Oscar Ruggeri as his number two, however Grandona wanted nothing of it, which consequently caused further problems between the two men.

have to love the drama, I do