Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not $250K - Not $200K - Not Even $150K. It's Now Down To $120K For Tax Increase!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Not $250K - Not $200K - Not Even $150K. It's Now Down To $120K For Tax Increase!

For the second time in a week, a prominent Democrat has downgraded Barack Obama's definition of the middle class -- leading Republicans to question whether he'll stick to his promise not to raise taxes on anyone making under $250,000.

The latest hiccup in the campaign message came Friday morning on KOA-AM, when New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson pegged the middle class as those making $120,000 and under.

[B]"What Obama wants to do is he is basically looking at $120,000 and under among those that are in the middle class, and there is a tax cut for those," Richardson said in the interview, according to a clip posted on YouTube.[/B]

There's no indication that Obama has changed his tax policy, which states that anyone making under $200,000 would get a tax cut under his administration, and nobody making under $250,000 would be hit with a tax increase. Richardson actually recited that part of Obama's plan correctly earlier in his radio interview.

But Sarah Palin accused Obama of shifting the threshold Friday afternoon at a rally in York, Pa.

"So now we're down to less than half of the original income level," she said, citing Richardson's interview. "We can't let this happen."

And the Republican National Committee quickly blasted out an e-mail saying, "At this rate, it won't take long until Obama is again raising taxes on Americans making as little as $42,000 a year."

"When Barack Obama comes to your door this Halloween, there will be no treats -- just taxes," the e-mail said.

Joe Biden caused headaches for the campaign Monday when he told a Scranton, Pa., TV station that Obama's tax break "should go to middle class people -- people making under $150,000 a year."

John McCain said the tax threshold was "creeping down," while the Obama campaign accused him of lying about Obama's tax policies.

[url]http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/31/low-richardson-pegs-middle-class-making/[/url]

:jets18

You might respond by saying that Barack Obama himself didn't say $120K. But President Obama will not be making unilateral decisions. The Democratic party vultures are circling - no opposition party anywhere to stop them. :eek:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully after the Democrats remove the stench of the Bush administration from the publics nose the Republicans will run a solid candidate who stands for a brigther economic future by unleashing the individual from the tyrany of big government. Until that day comes the Democrats get to set the agenda.

The Republicans have no one to blame but themselves for the position they are in. They could have done great things, they didn't.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlbanyJet;2834593]For the second time in a week, a prominent Democrat has downgraded Barack Obama's definition of the middle class -- leading Republicans to question whether he'll stick to his promise not to raise taxes on anyone making under $250,000.

The latest hiccup in the campaign message came Friday morning on KOA-AM, when New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson pegged the middle class as those making $120,000 and under.

[B]"What Obama wants to do is he is basically looking at $120,000 and under among those that are in the middle class, and there is a tax cut for those," Richardson said in the interview, according to a clip posted on YouTube.[/B]

There's no indication that Obama has changed his tax policy, which states that anyone making under $200,000 would get a tax cut under his administration, and nobody making under $250,000 would be hit with a tax increase. Richardson actually recited that part of Obama's plan correctly earlier in his radio interview.

But Sarah Palin accused Obama of shifting the threshold Friday afternoon at a rally in York, Pa.

"So now we're down to less than half of the original income level," she said, citing Richardson's interview. "We can't let this happen."

And the Republican National Committee quickly blasted out an e-mail saying, "At this rate, it won't take long until Obama is again raising taxes on Americans making as little as $42,000 a year."

"When Barack Obama comes to your door this Halloween, there will be no treats -- just taxes," the e-mail said.

Joe Biden caused headaches for the campaign Monday when he told a Scranton, Pa., TV station that Obama's tax break "should go to middle class people -- people making under $150,000 a year."

John McCain said the tax threshold was "creeping down," while the Obama campaign accused him of lying about Obama's tax policies.

[url]http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/31/low-richardson-pegs-middle-class-making/[/url]

You might respond by saying that Barack Obama himself didn't say $120K. But President Obama will not be making unilateral decisions. The Democratic party vultures are circling - no opposition party anywhere to stop them. :eek:[/QUOTE]

Your posts are one embarrassment after another. You really need to take a reading comprehension course.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy-y-y-y;2834927]Your posts are one embarrassment after another. You really need to take a reading comprehension course.[/QUOTE]

Explain.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlbanyJet;2834593]For the second time in a week, a prominent Democrat has downgraded Barack Obama's definition of the middle class -- leading Republicans to question whether he'll stick to his promise not to raise taxes on anyone making under $250,000.

You might respond by saying that Barack Obama himself didn't say $120K. But President Obama will not be making unilateral decisions. The Democratic party vultures are circling - no opposition party anywhere to stop them. :eek:[/QUOTE]

What the sheeple don't know is that the lower income folks usually end up paying more anyhow b/c they need goods and services that others provide for them!

In my case, if BO wins and raises my taxes, I'll simply raise my rates and pass the my tax increase on to those who hire me which is usually those with less income than I make!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    And a business owner who is smarter than you will take away your customers. Congrats

[QUOTE=asuusa;2838811]What the sheeple don't know is that the lower income folks usually end up paying more anyhow b/c they need goods and services that others provide for them!

In my case, if BO wins and raises my taxes, I'll simply raise my rates and pass the my tax increase on to those who hire me which is usually those with less income than I make![/QUOTE]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Obama will raise taxes so he can give tax relief to people who pay no taxes in the first place! He will screw the middle class all the way up to the upper class! That you can bet on!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I fully expect my taxes to increase, and I do not make $250K, 200K, 150K, 100K........

I fully expect my costs-per-month to increase due to tax increases on businesses.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan;2839622]Obama will raise taxes so he can give tax relief to people who pay no taxes in the first place! He will screw the middle class all the way up to the upper class! That you can bet on![/QUOTE]

There's very little middle class left. They may look and act like middle class,
    but they are really lower class if you count their credit card debt. And outstanding credit will be the next thing to blow up here. America has been Disneyland for too long and the real world has caught up to us. The next generation will pay for their parents' financial foolishness.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2839642]I fully expect my taxes to increase, and I do not make $250K, 200K, 150K, 100K........

I fully expect my costs-per-month to increase due to tax increases on businesses.[/QUOTE]

I agree - tax increase on businesses will just pass the increase along to the consumer. When business taxes are reduced, however, the savings go in to the owners pockets and not to the consumer.

Screwed and screwed, no matter.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy-y-y-y;2839649]There's very little middle class left. They may look and act like middle class,
    but they are really lower class if you count their credit card debt. And outstanding credit will be the next thing to blow up here. America has been Disneyland for too long and the real world has caught up to us. The next generation will pay for their parents' financial foolishness.[/QUOTE]

I rarely agree with you, but I fear you may be right here...everyone had to have a friggin plasma tv...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reading comprehension not a strong suit, huh?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2839642]I fully expect my costs-per-month to increase due to tax increases on businesses.[/QUOTE]

That very well could happen. Although I find it mildly amusing that the opposite never happens. Say Obama announced he was going to cut business taxes...would companies start lowering prices? No...they would stick the difference in their pockets. It would just prolong an inevitable rate increase on product...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tucker134;2839673]I rarely agree with you, but I fear you may be right here...everyone had to have a friggin plasma tv...[/QUOTE]

Suburbanites had to have giant pickups and HUMMERS, I guess to smooth out the drive-thru bumps at Wendy's. Young couples had to move from starter homes to giant houses when they got the second kid, even though generations of italian and irish families were able to raise ten kids in the so-called starter homes. Every middle manager felt entitled to an expensive house, when giant houses are only for the very highest managers in the rest of the world. It's a real mystery what went wrong.:rolleyes:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2839692]That very well could happen. Although I find it mildly amusing that the opposite never happens. Say Obama announced he was going to cut business taxes...would companies start lowering prices? No...they would stick the difference in their pockets. It would just prolong an inevitable rate increase on product...[/QUOTE]

Well, depends. Some companies would reduce prices, to undercut competitors. Some would not, and would pocket the difference.

You fill your gas tank up lately? Was $2.33 a Gallon for Mid-Level gas for me this morning. Clearly, the Oil Companies did not hold prices steady even though cost (in this case, price of oil itself) fell sharply. Remember, not many months ago, it was $4.00.

I would fully expect a similar reduction if tax rates were lowered. Not a huge savings, but a competative-based one.

But sure, some would certainly pocket the difference.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tucker134;2839673]...everyone had to have a friggin plasma tv...[/QUOTE]

Yup. that's it. All us middle class people spent all our money on TV's. It had absolutely nothing to do with food, housing, insurance, diapers, doctors etc.

It's only the TV's....go have a Bud Light :rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There seems to be much complaining about consumers here, but what about holding our leadership accountable for telling Americans that the way to support their country during a time of war is to spend, spend, spend?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2839698]Yup. that's it. All us middle class people spent all our money on TV's. It had absolutely nothing to do with food, housing, insurance, diapers, doctors etc.

It's only the TV's....go have a Bud Light :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

This is very legit and I do not mean to imply that all middle-class have squandered money on luxury items. I recently moved from a metro area to the
    country and see people maxing out their credit cards on heating oil. And driving old subarus because they're the chepest 4wd vehicles.

But there is another segment of people who have got into debt trying desperately to appear successful.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;2839709]T, but what about holding our leadership accountable for telling Americans that the way to support their country during a time of war is to spend, spend, spend?[/QUOTE]

Because our current leadership sucks and will hopefully be replaced.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2839698]Yup. that's it. All us middle class people spent all our money on TV's. It had absolutely nothing to do with food, housing, insurance, diapers, doctors etc.

It's only the TV's....go have a Bud Light :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Of course, I agree it's not "everyone". But it's alot of folks, and I know because I live in lower-middle-class neighborhoods, and know lower-middle-class people, and am related to lower-middle-class relatives.

Almost all of them have Big Screen Plasmas and the like.

I can't speak for all, only the ones and neighborhoods I know.