Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Texas v Texas Tech...battle for #1

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Agreed.

Really hope that a Big Ten team (Penn State) doesnt make it just to get stomped out by a SEC or Big 12 Opponent.
    PSU is the only threat to a Big 12/SEC Nat'l Championship if they don't drop a game. Otherwise it's a lock so long as 2-1 loss teams come out of both.

By the way, this game tonight is exactly why you saw conferences like the SEC voting for a playoff and conferences like the Big 10 and Big East voing it down. They want nothing to do with matchups like you saw tonight.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan View Post
    PSU is the only threat to a Big 12/SEC Nat'l Championship if they don't drop a game. Otherwise it's a lock so long as 2-1 loss teams come out of both.

By the way, this game tonight is exactly why you saw conferences like the SEC voting for a playoff and conferences like the Big 10 and Big East voing it down. They want nothing to do with matchups like you saw tonight.
    Great point. Totally accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by edcopp View Post
    The undefeated (presumably) Champ of the Big10, coached by an 82 year old JoePa will never be shut out of the National Championship Game now...
    Michigan St is a damn good football team. They have a very underrated o-line and Ringer's play is what it is, not to mention a trio of good WR's. No way I'm putting them in that game just yet.

Penn St, will probaly e #2 for now, but if Texas Tech wins out, including wins against Oklahoma St, Oklahoma (in Norman), and vs. Missouri or Kansas... it'll be more impressive than anyone Penn St. will be beat.

What happens if Alabama falls to Florida in the SEC title, and both Texas Tech and Penn St. win out?? By winning the Big 12, Texas Tech would have to be in the championship game, but who will they play? Does an undefeated PSU team get to the play in the national championship game over a 1 loss SEC champion Florida team??

Quote Originally Posted by FYtheSG View Post
    What happens if Alabama falls to Florida in the SEC title, and both Texas Tech and Penn St. win out?? By winning the Big 12, Texas Tech would have to be in the championship game, but who will they play? Does an undefeated PSU team get to the play in the national championship game over a 1 loss SEC champion Florida team??
    Yes, TT would play PSU.

I don't think there's any chance all 3 go undefeated, and personally I don't think TT will either. IMO Oklahoma is going to beat them, PSU loses to MSU, and the Big 12 champ faces the SEC champ when all is said and done. Unless there's a 2 loss team in there, in which case I think USC could sneak in.

Veteran
    Michigan St is a damn good football team. They have a very underrated o-line and Ringer's play is what it is, not to mention a trio of good WR's. No way I'm putting them in that game just yet.
    that's penn states last game of the season, its at home and its senior night... no way they lose that game.

Quote Originally Posted by sandz View Post
    that's penn states last game of the season, its at home and its senior night... no way they lose that game.
    Look, after the past two years of college ball, it's just absurd to think that any team, at any time, is a lock to win anything. Last year you had WVU and Missouri one week away from a Nat'l Championship and you got LSU v OSU, and it's even more wide open this year than it was the last.

All Pro
    Look, after the past two years of college ball, it's just absurd to think that any team, at any time, is a lock to win anything. Last year you had WVU and Missouri one week away from a Nat'l Championship and you got LSU v OSU, and it's even more wide open this year than it was the last.
    Ohio State blew Michigan State off the field, and Penn State went into Columbus and shut down the Buckeyes in prime time. I really don't see any way PSU loses to the Spartans... Not with that much at stake.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

When TT scored the finally TD and went up by 5, why didnt they go for 2 and try for a 7 point lead? Instead they kicked the extra point and went up by 6. That made no sense at all.

The only reason I can think of why they didnt go for 2 was the risk of Texas intercepting the 2 point conversion and getting 2 points themselves to cut it to 3. And being that TT had to kickoff from there own endzone that could've given Texas one attempt at a long FG to tie the game had they just fallen on the kick or fair cought the kick.
    Last edited by LockeJET; 11-02-2008 at 07:04 AM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    When TT scored the finally TD and went up by 5, why didnt they go for 2 and try for a 7 point lead? Instead they kicked the extra point and went up by 6. That made no sense at all.

The only reason I can think of why they didnt go for 2 was the risk of Texas intercepting the 2 point conversion and getting 2 points themselves to cut it to 3. And being that TT had to kickoff from there own endzone that could've given Texas one attempt at a long FG to tie the game had they just fallen on the kick or fair cought the kick.
    I thought the same thing. Why not go for 2? But what a game!! Great football.

Yep.

My problem with this whole deal. We have already seen what Big 10 teams do in the Nat'l Champ game, and Penn St. just isnt that good. The Big 12 play NO defense, but they can score like the best of them.

SEC football is whole new ball game. My boys F'ed themselves by losing to Ole Miss, but you cant tell me that we wouldnt blow Penn St. out of the water.

NFL will always be KING until NCAA comes up with a playoff system.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JiF View Post

Great post, dead on.

Yep.

My problem with this whole deal. We have already seen what Big 10 teams do in the Nat'l Champ game, and Penn St. just isnt that good. The Big 12 play NO defense, but they can score like the best of them.

SEC football is whole new ball game. My boys F'ed themselves by losing to Ole Miss, but you cant tell me that we wouldnt blow Penn St. out of the water.

UF needs PSU to lose in the worst way, much more so than anyone else. They still have a shot to get in, but it's only if Penn St drops one and then they win in the SEC championship. Or you see a 2-loss team win the Big 12 championship, which could always happen with the way the current swings are.

The sad part is that UF and USC might be playing better than everyone else right now anyways (and I despise the Pac-10, so that is a completely unbiased statement). I guess I can see why one would be upset about getting shut out because of their losses, but on the flipside, win the games that you're supposed to win and it won't happen in the first place. My problem isn't so much with the fact that there isn't a playoff, (I've accepted that's never going to happen, ever), it's just that the current system doesn't provide for any sort of leniency for losses, and it certainly doesn't rank teams fairly according to them. Teams get knocked way too hard for a loss rather than who they've actually beaten, and strength of schedule seems to mean nothing. Being a 1-loss team from the SEC or Big 12 is far more impressive than going undefeated in the Big 10. It's just silly to try and even argue otherwise.

UF needs PSU to lose in the worst way, much more so than anyone else. They still have a shot to get in, but it's only if Penn St drops one and then they win in the SEC championship. Or you see a 2-loss team win the Big 12 championship, which could always happen with the way the current swings are.

The sad part is that UF and USC might be playing better than everyone else right now anyways (and I despise the Pac-10, so that is a completely unbiased statement). I guess I can see why one would be upset about getting shut out because of their losses, but on the flipside, win the games that you're supposed to win and it won't happen in the first place. My problem isn't so much with the fact that there isn't a playoff, (I've accepted that's never going to happen, ever), it's just that the current system doesn't provide for any sort of leniency for losses, and it certainly doesn't rank teams fairly according to them. Teams get knocked way too hard for a loss rather than who they've actually beaten, and strength of schedule seems to mean nothing. Being a 1-loss team from the SEC or Big 12 is far more impressive than going undefeated in the Big 10. It's just silly to try and even argue otherwise.
    Not to much to agrue with this post. Pretty much spot on.

I will rooting for MSU in a BIG way!!! If they can come through, I am confident (maybe wishful thinking) that the SEC will have representation again in the Nat'l Champ game.

Florida still has to take care of business, but I like our chances against Bama if we get there.

The Big 12 Championship game might produce the other, unless USC gets the vote.

I like what you said about UF and USC playing the best football. The same thing happened last year, UGA should have played USC...IMO. They might get it wrong again.

I would think the next rankings would be

1. Alabama
    2. Penn St.
    3. Texas Tech
    4. Florida

Like I said before if Alabama wins out, they are #1, no question, undefeated in the SEC is an automatic #1 this year. If Texas Tech wins out, beating 2 or 3 top 10 teams along the way, there's no way Penn St. can stop them from overtaking the #2 spot.
    Texas Tech schedule is roughly equivalent than Penn St's schedule, except Penn St. best win was Ohio St, and Tech beat Texas.
    I don't see Tech winning against Ok St, @ Oklahoma, and against Missouri, but if they do, there's no way Penn St. deserves to play in the NC more than them.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I would think the next rankings would be

1. Alabama
    2. Penn St.
    3. Texas Tech
    4. Florida

Like I said before if Alabama wins out, they are #1, no question, undefeated in the SEC is an automatic #1 this year. If Texas Tech wins out, beating 2 or 3 top 10 teams along the way, there's no way Penn St. can stop them from overtaking the #2 spot.
    Texas Tech schedule is roughly equivalent than Penn St's schedule, except Penn St. best win was Ohio St, and Tech beat Texas.
    I don't see Tech winning against Ok St, @ Oklahoma, and against Missouri, but if they do, there's no way Penn St. deserves to play in the NC more than them.
    Nice breakdown. And I agree with you 100%.

Penn St. is going to lose. I am just not impressed. They have 2 games left on their schedule against a couple of really good RB's and solid defense. Javon Ringer and Shonn Greene are very talented backs that cant control a game and keep their opponents offense off the field.

Iowa or MSU is going to beat Penn St.

Nice breakdown. And I agree with you 100%.

Penn St. is going to lose. I am just not impressed. They have 2 games left on their schedule against a couple of really good RB's and solid defense. Javon Ringer and Shonn Greene are very talented backs that cant control a game and keep their opponents offense off the field.

Iowa or MSU is going to beat Penn St.
    You nailed it. PSU loses.

Always a mild PSU fan, but they would get their tails handed to them by any number of teams in Pac-10, SEC, Big 12. Worst case scenario would have been the Nittany Lions undefeated and then non-competitive in the championship game.

Big 10's rep has really fallen the last couple of years (throw ND in there, too).

Texas Tech - what an exciting team to watch. Killer QB, Crabtree is approaching phenom status, deep talent at RB WR and an OL that's nearly pro-caliber as a unit.

Nice call JiF.