Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Will Obama play something like a dead grandmother on election eve?

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2840724]That's your choice, and you should have the right to not leave anything for the next generation should you so choose. Just like I should have the right to leave something for my kids, as I would like to choose.[/QUOTE]

There's plenty of ways to get that money to your kids. Call a good attorney now.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=FF2;2841076]There's plenty of ways to get that money to your kids. Call a good attorney now.[/QUOTE]
    I know, but why should I have to play that game? Why can't my life's work be passed down to my descendants without the need for excessive litigation and contracts? My ancestors sacrificed to give me a more comfortable life, why can't I do the same?

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2841094]I know, but why should I have to play that game? Why can't my life's work be passed down to my descendants without the need for excessive litigation and contracts? My ancestors sacrificed to give me a more comfortable life, why can't I do the same?[/QUOTE]

Because this isn't England. Bush isn't King and boundless wealth doesn't traverse generation lines.

9 times out of 10 if a person actually has enough money to be counted under the estate tax, those kids are getting millions regardless.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2841094]I know, but why should I have to play that game? Why can't my life's work be passed down to my descendants without the need for excessive litigation and contracts? My ancestors sacrificed to give me a more comfortable life, why can't I do the same?[/QUOTE]

Because we have to distribute your wealth. Not everyone worked as hard or as smartly as you did so we need to give them your money, not let YOU choose who or how to give it.

When my taxes go up one of the first things that I decrease, unfortunately, is charitable giving. Low taxes enable me to support the economy and the less fortunate the way I want to, but we'll see if the government decides that they can spend my money better in the coming years. From what I've seen in the past, the government is the most inefficient and wasteful user of capital. I think very carefully where I send every $1.....my kid's 529 college funds, Phoenix Children's Hospital, Disabled American Veterans, MS Society, etc. The government collectively takes our money to study cow farts and build bridges to nowhere.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2841101]Because this isn't England. Bush isn't King and boundless wealth doesn't traverse generation lines.

9 times out of 10 if a person actually has enough money to be counted under the estate tax, those kids are getting millions regardless.[/QUOTE]

What a crap argument. Do you even know what the estate tax threshold will be come 2011? Hint, its not the 3.5 million you guys have been throwing around. That only applies 2009.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2841114]Because we have to distribute your wealth. Not everyone worked as hard or as smartly as you did so we need to give them your money, not let YOU choose who or how to give it.

When my taxes go up one of the first things that I decrease, unfortunately, is charitable giving. Low taxes enable me to support the economy and the less fortunate the way I want to, but we'll see if the government decides that they can spend my money better in the coming years. From what I've seen in the past, the government is the most inefficient and wasteful user of capital. I think very carefully where I send every $1.....my kid's 529 college funds, Phoenix Children's Hospital, Disabled American Veterans, MS Society, etc. The government collectively takes our money to study cow farts and build bridges to nowhere.[/QUOTE]

Glad to see a sane post. :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2840153]I agree. While everyone speculates on last minute surprises [B]I highly doubt Obama had anything to do with her death[/B]. He doesn't need the sympathy vote with an election eve surprise.[/QUOTE]

At first I wanted to blast you for even thinking that but then I thought, you know what, I bet McCain's staff looked into the possibility. :rolleyes: