Thread: I'm proud of Gen X and Gen Y

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm proud of Gen X and Gen Y

Our country is about to elect a black President.

I don't agree with his position on every issue, but whether I agree with him or not is not really important. I am proud that our country is finally at the point where most people can look past the color of a man's skin and elect him to the highest office in the nation based solely on his principles.

I was just talking politics with my 6 and 9 year old boys. They know who John McCain is and they know who Barrack Obama is and who's white or black doesn't even enter their minds. Not even a little bit.

I know racism still exists, I'm not naive. But I think the last two generations have gone a long way towards making it a thing of the past.

Tomorrow is going to be a big day in this country's history.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Post Thanks / Like
    Word...

Although there's some bad jokes making the rounds and I don't know if I can repeat here what my wifes 32 year old brother said to me today.

I think this is intensifying the distrust in some people..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CTM;2840290]Word...

Although there's some bad jokes making the rounds and I don't know if I can repeat here what my wifes 32 year old brother said to me today.

I think this is intensifying the distrust in some people..[/QUOTE]

Nice to see you hanging around these parts again Chan. Thought I'd never see any member of the Initial Party around these parts anymore.
    Last edited by HessStation; 11-03-2008 at 07:31 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HessStation;2840295]Nice to see you hanging around here Chan. Thought I'd never see any member of the Initial Party around these parts anymore.[/QUOTE]

Just for the record, I never left, I've been in this forum all along :D

Nice to see you too, I think it was you that had a nice shot the other day about how your not leaving cause your handle isn't initials.. I laughed...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CTM;2840303]Just for the record, I never left, I've been in this forum all along :D

Nice to see you too, I think it was you that had a nice shot the other day about how your not leaving cause your handle isn't initials.. I laughed...[/QUOTE]

Knew you would my friend. E-spats RULE!!!:yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HessStation;2840306]Knew you would my friend. E-spats RULE!!!:yes:[/QUOTE]

lol..

That they do... ;)

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Race means almost nothing to my kids. It's refreshing.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2®;2840413]Race means almost nothing to my kids. It's refreshing.[/QUOTE]

Especially in Boston.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2®;2840413]Race means almost nothing to my kids. It's refreshing.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean, but I'm not as optimistic as you. The perceived racists of today, the senior citizens, were the kids who horrified their parents in the 50's by listening to black music or were behind the civil rights movement of the 60's. I'm just speaking from personal experience, but I've noticed people become more racist as they get older.

There was also a time when it was preached that bringing people of races together would reduce racism. I find this also contrary to my experience.
    It seems to make things worse.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No matter who gets elected today, this is a historic election that SHOULD go far in eradicating the level of racism that still exists today.

Personally, I believe this will prove to be true in part. My guess is that there will be a notable reduction in racism over the next 4 years, however, I also believe there will be an INTENSIFIED degree of racism in the "angry whites" and/or the "reverse racists."

Lets all hope and pray that latter statement doesn't come to fruition. Also, lets all hope and pray that there are no celebratory or bitter defeat riots anywhere in the country.

Hopefully peace and civility will prevail throughout the night and the coming coming days.

$.02

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    gen X ok fine but hold the praise for gen Y until we hear about turn out

since the voting age was lowered to 18, the young never turn out... let's see if this is any different

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HessStation;2840295]Nice to see you hanging around these parts again Chan. Thought I'd never see any member of the Initial Party around these parts anymore.[/QUOTE]

CTM is well aware, that like Doggin, if he tried to leave our little family here in Politics permanently.......the Warfish would track him down and haunt him.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can neeeeever leave!";)

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy-y-y-y;2840901]I know what you mean, but I'm not as optimistic as you. The perceived racists of today, the senior citizens, were the kids who horrified their parents in the 50's by listening to black music or were behind the civil rights movement of the 60's. I'm just speaking from personal experience, but I've noticed people become more racist as they get older.

There was also a time when it was preached that bringing people of races together would reduce racism. I find this also contrary to my experience.
    It seems to make things worse.[/QUOTE]

I agree to an extent. But I am somewhat hopeful. These things take generations to change.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;2840259]Our country is about to elect a black President.

I don't agree with his position on every issue, but whether I agree with him or not is not really important. I am proud that our country is finally at the point where most people can look past the color of a man's skin and elect him to the highest office in the nation based solely on his principles.

I was just talking politics with my 6 and 9 year old boys. They know who John McCain is and they know who Barrack Obama is and who's white or black doesn't even enter their minds. Not even a little bit.

I know racism still exists, I'm not naive. But I think the last two generations have gone a long way towards making it a thing of the past.

Tomorrow is going to be a big day in this country's history.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

I told my parents, both children of the 1960's and 70's that this election, no matter what the final results is their legacy of the struggles and events of their generation. I as a borderline Gen X /Y'er am a product of my parents' generation's efforts to overcome the prejudices of their era and simultaneously (and contradictory) the creation of a seeming spiritual void that was replaced with an emphasis on personal self-satisfaction and material measurements of self-worth.

I feel Obama represents both those legacies suitably. To all you children of the 60's and 70's, we are your legacy, this election is just the first signal of the verdict of the history of it.