Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The OFFICIAL (with apologies to Warfish) 2008 ELECTION THREAD

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2842744]He cut taxes and worked with Republican Congress. Obama will be working with a Democrat controlled Congress to raise taxes and discourage business growth. Big difference.[/QUOTE]

Dude come off the ledge, if they raise all our taxes and these dire consequences you are talking about occur, they'll get voted out in 4 years. Pretty simple. Frankly, it can't get any worse then it is now..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CTM;2842752]Dude come off the ledge, if they raise all our taxes and these dire consequences you are talking about occur, they'll get voted out in 4 years. Pretty simple. Frankly, it can't get any worse then it is now..[/QUOTE]

That's my only silver lining... I'm hoping the country will want more economic freedom after the results of the next four years

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2842719]Yes. Keep him away for life. The state's job is to keep us away from violent criminals, not to enact revenge.

I'd be pretty upset if my life was made better by putting someone to death. Simply removing him from society is enough. He's already dead to me.[/QUOTE]

So you're against paying for a junkies 2-3 year prison sentence but all for keeping a murdering scumbag set up in the bighouse for the rest of his life?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2842744]He cut taxes and worked with Republican Congress. Obama will be working with a Democrat controlled Congress to raise taxes and discourage business growth. Big difference.[/QUOTE]

We shall see.

From where I am sitting (with no dog in this fight) it could not get any worse than where you are after Mr Bush.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone know how Al Franken is doing?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets1028;2842750]It's up to the same people who sentence him to prison..Yes it is cheaper. Call me what you want. But why should i have to pay my taxes for a man who kills innocent people, or kills children, for life in prison? When he should be put to death to begin with for the disgusting crimes he has committed. Doesn't seem fair. There should be no charity cases for people like that, nobody should pay their money for them to live.[/QUOTE]
    I don't believe the state should have the authority to kill another. And a capital murder case often ends up costing the state more. Multiple high profile appeal cases are not cheap.

When we are convinced that we 100% of murder convictions are correct, then I'd consider it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;2842754]So you're against paying for a junkies 2-3 year prison sentence but all for keeping a murdering scumbag set up in the bighouse for the rest of his life?[/QUOTE]

Well, for the junkie, the cost/benefit analysis is way out of our favor. For the murderer, it's based on morals.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2842746]Clinton cut taxes? LOL[/QUOTE]

What are you laughing at?

Are you just uninformed? He cut taxes (not as much as he should have but he did cut) and there was a Republican Congress that kept him in check to some degree.

[QUOTE]The Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 (Public Law 105-34) reduced several federal taxes in the United States.

[B]Subject to certain phase-in rules, the top capital gains rate fell from 28% to 20%. The 15% bracket was lowered to 10%.[/B]

Starting in 1998, a $400 tax credit for each child under age 17 was introduced, which was increased to $500 in 1999. This credit was phased out for high income families.

The act exempted from taxation profits on the sale of a personal residence of up to $500,000 for married couples filing jointly and $250,000 for singles.

The $600,000 estate tax exemption was to increase gradually to $1 million by the year 2006.

Family farms and small businesses could qualify for an exemption of $1.3 million, effective 1998. Starting in 1999, the $10,000 annual gift tax exclusion was to be corrected for inflation.

The act also provided tax relief for education savings and retirement accounts. Some expiring business tax provisions were extended.

[B]It was signed into law by President Bill Clinton on August 5, 1997.[/B]

[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by jetstream23; 11-04-2008 at 10:35 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2;2842756]Anyone know how Al Franken is doing?[/QUOTE]

[img]http://www.geocities.com/perry_peterson_1999/franken4.jpg[/img]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;2842735]True, but you would have junkies running rampant, not that they don't now, but there would be staggering numbers.

You'd have to be even more worried about simply letting your kids go outside and play. Want to sell your house? Think you're going to get market value in a neighborhood that has been ambushed by dope fiends?

Not to mention, many drug users are violent. No one cares about potheads. I think all of us, or atleast a nice sized majority have been there and done that. No one is worried about a stoner sticking a knife in their throat over pocket change. However, that kind of sh*t happens all the time with bottom of the barrell junkies.[/QUOTE]Junkies are junkies - they don't adhere to laws because we make them. They do what they have to do to get their next fix. Might as well not pay lots of money to find them, prosecute them, try them, and incarcerate them.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2;2842756]Anyone know how Al Franken is doing?[/QUOTE]

He and Rev Jackson are at church praying for a last min upset.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MACPAC;2842767]He and Rev Jackson are at church praying for a last min upset.[/QUOTE]

Franken not Sharpton.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2842757]I don't believe the state should have the authority to kill another. And a capital murder case often ends up costing the state more. Multiple high profile appeal cases are not cheap.

When we are convinced that we 100% of murder convictions are correct, then I'd consider it.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying put death to everybody, but say serial killers and child molesters who are convicted and its 100% true they have committed those crimes, put them to death. The death penalty can't be more money than a prisoner serving 50 years in the jail.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2842760]What are you laughing at?[/QUOTE]

Ooh, cap gains taxes! What happened in his first term? Were you paying attention to politics back then?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HessStation;2842768]Franken not Sharpton.[/QUOTE]

Must read before replying. :D

Still my point stands.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    FOX seems to think Obama wins FLA

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Franken is up 3%.

Can you imagine "Senator Al Franken"? :D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets1028;2842769]I'm not saying put death to everybody, but say serial killers and child molesters who are convicted and its 100% true they have committed those crimes, put them to death. The death penalty can't be more money than a prisoner serving 50 years in the jail.[/QUOTE]

Every conviction is 100% true, until they over-turn it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2842770]Ooh, cap gains taxes! What happened in his first term? Were you paying attention to politics back then?[/QUOTE]

Yes, were you?

Democrat President + Republican Congress has been good in the past. A Dem. Prez and Dem. Congress will be a disaster IMO.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2842753]That's my only silver lining... I'm hoping the country will want more economic freedom after the results of the next four years[/QUOTE]

Yes and with our luck the republicans will give us another social conservative..