Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The OFFICIAL (with apologies to Warfish) 2008 ELECTION THREAD

The OFFICIAL (with apologies to Warfish) 2008 ELECTION THREAD

It's officially November 4, so let's use this thread for all commentary, predictions, results, electioneering, and random election thoughts throughout the day. Share your voting experiences too, if you want.

We're living history, and we can use this thread to document some of it. This day will be like few others.

First time going to vote. Can't wait.

You just made me think of this, and I don't know why;

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAdzBaPDmJk[/url]

Obama with the 1st victory of the day. He takes Nixville Notch, NH 15-6. :yes:

[QUOTE=Tyler Durden;2840651]Obama with the 1st victory of the day. He takes Nixville Notch, NH 15-6. :yes:[/QUOTE]

as NIxville Notch goes, so goes the country

[QUOTE=piney;2840650]You just made me think of this, and I don't know why;

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAdzBaPDmJk[/url][/QUOTE]

A fellow Republican? :D

Hall Of Fame
    He's also up 17 to 10 from Hart's Location, NH [B]and The Good Doctor Ron Paul is officially in 3rd place![/B]

Obama = 32
    McCain = 16
    The Good Doctor Ron Paul = 2

[url]http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5grwUADvRzUMaEoHj9bHMtdylvOLAD947U5400[/url]

Obama wins in earliest vote

16 minutes ago

DIXVILLE NOTCH, N.H. (AP) Barack Obama came up a big winner in the presidential race in Dixville Notch and Hart's Location, N.H., where tradition of having the first Election Day ballots tallied lives on.

Democrat Obama defeated Republican John McCain by a count of 15 to 6 in Dixville Notch, where a loud whoop accompanied the announcement. The town of Hart's Location reported 17 votes for Obama, 10 for McCain and [B]two for write-in Ron Paul[/B]. Independent Ralph Nader was on both towns' ballots but got no votes.

The first Dixville Notch voter, following tradition established in 1948, was picked ahead of the midnight voting and the rest of the town's 21 registered voters followed suit in Tuesday's first minutes.

Town Clerk Rick Erwin said the northern New Hampshire town is proud of its tradition, but added that the most important thing is that the turnout represents a 100 percent vote.

President Bush won the votes in Dixville Notch and Hart's Location in 2004 on the way to his re-election.

Hall Of Fame
    What the GOP leadership in the House expects:

Electoral College Projection: Obama 353 v. McCain 185

Projected Senate Makeup: 56-42-2 (58-42 d/on Lieberman 7 seat D Gain)

Projected House Makeup: 268-167 (32 seat D gain)

This would be staggering... two huge election losses in a row for the GOP. Unprecedented and only overshadowed historically by the first black President. I mean 100+ seat margin in the House, and a near filibuster proof majority in the Senate (also it's possible some GOP defections to the Dems after the election). I have no link for this, however you'll have to trust me... it comes from an extremely reliable and high ranking source :yes:

No worries Paulie, I'd have started one.....but some jackass behind my house working for Verizon managed to cut my Comcast cable & internet line. No Interweb and worse, no TV on Election Day!

[QUOTE=Warfish;2840916]No worries Paulie, I'd have started one.....but some jackass behind my house working for Verizon managed to cut my Comcast cable & internet line. [B]No Interweb and worse, no TV on Election Day![/B][/QUOTE]

:eek:

[QUOTE=Tanginius;2840855]What the GOP leadership in the House expects:

Electoral College Projection: Obama – 353 v. McCain – 185

Projected Senate Makeup: 56-42-2 (58-42 d/on Lieberman – 7 seat D Gain)

Projected House Makeup: 268-167 (32 seat D gain)

This would be staggering... two huge election losses in a row for the GOP. Unprecedented and only overshadowed historically by the first black President. [B]I mean 100+ seat margin in the House, and a near filibuster proof majority in the Senate (also it's possible some GOP defections to the Dems after the election). [/B] I have no link for this, however you'll have to trust me... it comes from an extremely reliable and high ranking source :yes:[/QUOTE]

Well, that's pretty frightening. I don't care what the party is, no one side should have such a massive advantage like that.

I voted this morning. I have never seen crowds like this where I usually vote, at this little Presbyterian church in my neighborhood. I waited on line 15 minutes which, for my town, is pretty remarkable.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2840916]No worries Paulie, I'd have started one.....but some jackass behind my house working for Verizon managed to cut my Comcast cable & internet line. No Interweb and worse, no TV on Election Day![/QUOTE]

I bet you never thought you'd have to go to a bar to see the election coverage! :D

So, which channel will you guys be watching tonight? I'm actually debating that as far as who will have the best coverage.

CNN might be the best bet. They have a decent team but have really excellent on-screen graphics, especially in HD.

MSNBC is unwatchable. I watched Morning Joe this morning, and that's about all I can ever take. Scarborough and Peggy Noonan were ripping on Senator Lautenberg in front of Gov. Corzine. It was pretty good.

FOX isn't bad, for all the grief they get. I have always liked Brit Hume in kind of a familiar, grandfatherly way.

PBS is boring, as is CSPAN. The big 3 are comprised of all self-righteous d-bags.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2840980]Well, that's pretty frightening. I don't care what the party is, no one side should have such a massive advantage like that.

I voted this morning. I have never seen crowds like this where I usually vote, at this little Presbyterian church in my neighborhood. I waited on line 15 minutes which, for my town, is pretty remarkable.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I'm usually around voter #60-70 or so at the place I vote, today I was #130.

[QUOTE=pauliec;2841072]So, which channel will you guys be watching tonight? I'm actually debating that as far as who will have the best coverage.

CNN might be the best bet. They have a decent team but have really excellent on-screen graphics, especially in HD.

MSNBC is unwatchable. I watched Morning Joe this morning, and that's about all I can ever take. Scarborough and Peggy Noonan were ripping on Senator Lautenberg in front of Gov. Corzine. It was pretty good.

FOX isn't bad, for all the grief they get. I have always liked Brit Hume in kind of a familiar, grandfatherly way.[/QUOTE]

I'll be flipping through the channels, though mostly watching CNN. I like listening to the likes of David Gergen, Ed Rollins, Paul Begala, I am a fan of Chris Matthew's so I want to see his reaction if Obama does win on MSNBC, and defiantly Sean Hannity if Obama wins on FOX.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=piney;2840652]as NIxville Notch goes, so goes the country[/QUOTE]

LOL.

I think you're right.

I'll be first to congratulate Obama and hope to God that I'm wrong about him two years from now.

We should all hope that we get the kind of economic growth under him that we got under President Clinton and a Republican Congress. If Congress goes Democrat in a large way (i.e. enough to override filibusters) we are ALL going to get hosed.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2840855]What the GOP leadership in the House expects:

Electoral College Projection: Obama 353 v. McCain 185[/QUOTE]

Really? That is my exact prediction in my "Predict the Electoral College" thread.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;2841080]I'll be flipping through the channels, though mostly watching CNN. I like listening to the likes of David Gergen, Ed Rollins, Paul Begala, I am a fan of Chris Matthew's so I want to see his reaction if Obama does win, and defiantly Sean Hannity if Obama wins.[/QUOTE]

Keith Olbermann running down the street drunk and naked is also a possibility.

[IMG]http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q190/jusblayze11/Streaking.jpg[/IMG]

All Pro
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2841072]So, which channel will you guys be watching tonight? I'm actually debating that as far as who will have the best coverage.

FOX isn't bad, for all the grief they get. I have always liked Brit Hume in kind of a familiar, grandfatherly way.

PBS is boring, as is CSPAN. The big 3 are comprised of all self-righteous d-bags.[/QUOTE]

Agreed on everything except for FOX.

Hall Of Fame

PBS is boring, as is CSPAN. The big 3 are comprised of all self-righteous d-bags.[/QUOTE]

In the war room:
    CNN HD on the 50" plasma
    NBC HD on the 22" LCD
    HD Net on the 20" LCD

Sound will be switching between the three but more on NBC and HD Net as I prefer their analysts (Chuck Todd, Howard Fineman + Pat Buchanan on NBC... and Nate Silver on HD Net)

main PC will be CNN election results page for President
    2nd PC will be CNN election results page for Senate
    1 laptop PC will be CNN election results page for US House

In the rec room (pool table + darts), the 42" Plasma will be set to CNN HD

And for the smokers, I'll have a TV (old school 4:3) set to regular CNN or NBC

1 laptop will be floating around for guests to look at whatever they want

And of course, all PCs and laptops will have my election guide loaded up! :D
    Last edited by King Ryan; 11-04-2008 at 11:07 AM.