Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Voting Experiences (The Ballot Box)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Voting Experiences (The Ballot Box)

Here in Chicago, it took me and the residents of Precinct 8:Ward 1 at least an hour and a half to vote (Got on line at 6:10 am).

Reason Why: Chicago chooses to use archaic voters boxes, (Scratch Pen to fill out arrow). The voter registration data is also handled manually, so lines breakout via Precinct, Ward, Last name, once you enter the building (god forbid todays temperature would've been the Chicago avg. for this time of year). Please, never mind basic modern advances such as the computer, our modern strategies such as the assembly line.

I've only voted in the states of New York and Wisconsin before today, and I can clearly say now that the voting experience differs greatly by locale. Until we as a country (This is an area where fed involvement is needed) do something to unify this process, we will continue have the voter fraud, voter denial, and voter disenchantment that we hear about every four years. This effects all of us.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    voted in Philly today, there were alot of people but not long lines. pretty solid operation

the actual machine itself is a non-Diebold "paper touch" system - it's a piece of paper over the buttons, you click the led lit buttons and hit a big green VOTE button - machine looks about 35 years old - which I approve of - it's just old enough to speed things up considerably but not new enough to change every Obama vote into a McCain vote via computer hack.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Voted in Vermont today. Pulled into the local armory parking lot at 8:25, voted, pulled out of the parking lot at 8:30. Scored my "I voted" sticker for a free scoop at Ben and Jerry's, which will almost certainly be Chunky Monkey.

Paper ballots

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    it just took me 2 minutes in line here in Jerz

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I early voted in Florida last week...15 min wait:yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Stan Blinka;2840919]I early voted in Florida last week...15 min wait:yes:[/QUOTE]

Good God, I hope you guys have your crap together this time. How about a call before we go to bed? Another fiasco like last time and I say sell Florida to Cuba.;)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TerryBadway;2840845]Here in Chicago, it took me and the residents of Precinct 8:Ward 1 at least an hour and a half to vote (Got on line at 6:10 am).

Reason Why: Chicago chooses to use archaic voters boxes, (Scratch Pen to fill out arrow). The voter registration data is also handled manually, so lines breakout via Precinct, Ward, Last name, once you enter the building (god forbid todays temperature would've been the Chicago avg. for this time of year). Please, never mind basic modern advances such as the computer, our modern strategies such as the assembly line.

I've only voted in the states of New York and Wisconsin before today, and I can clearly say now that the voting experience differs greatly by locale. Until we as a country (This is an area where fed involvement is needed) do something to unify this process, we will continue have the voter fraud, voter denial, and voter disenchantment that we hear about every four years. This effects all of us.[/QUOTE]

I voted last week in Chicago, and had a short (20 minute wait). The central stations (for early voters) were actually quite modern and used touch-screens that printed out paper records you could inspect.

The ballot was also absurdly long, full of judges, calls for constitutional conventions and referendums on our crappy governor, which is why it took the Obamas like 20 mins to fill them out this morning.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2840973]I voted last week in Chicago, and had a short (20 minute wait). The central stations (for early voters) were actually quite modern and used touch-screens that printed out paper records you could inspect.

The ballot was also absurdly long, full of judges, calls for constitutional conventions and referendums on our crappy governor, which is why it took the Obamas like 20 mins to fill them out this morning.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that section of uncontested judges was just obnoxious.

Nuu, where are you in Chicago?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TerryBadway;2840987]Yeah, that section of uncontested judges was just obnoxious.

Nuu, where are you in Chicago?[/QUOTE]

BTW, Terry, you mentioned you were on the northside. Where?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy-y-y-y;2840991]BTW, Terry, you mentioned you were on the northside. Where?[/QUOTE]

Wicker Park - Bucktown......I live near the Milwaukee, Damen, North (six corners) intersection.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2840856]voted in Philly today, there were alot of people but not long lines. pretty solid operation

the actual machine itself is a non-Diebold "paper touch" system - it's a piece of paper over the buttons, you click the led lit buttons and hit a big green VOTE button - machine looks about 35 years old - which I approve of - it's just old enough to speed things up considerably but not new enough to change every Obama vote into a McCain vote via computer hack.[/QUOTE]

Hey bit, who'd you vote for?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2840856]but not new enough to change every Obama vote into a McCain vote via computer hack.[/QUOTE]

and it sounds like quick and efficient way to vote under all those bogus ACORN names!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TerryBadway;2840987]Yeah, that section of uncontested judges was just obnoxious.

Nuu, where are you in Chicago?[/QUOTE]

I live downtown, in River West.

I see we are both on the Blue Line!

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    I voted in Chesapeake, Va. It took me an hour. Very long lines. But once you got to the checkers, it went quickly. We used the plastic card into the electronic ballot box touch screen type thing.

I hope the lines aren't long tonight when I go back to vote again. Oops! Did I say that out loud???!?!?!? :D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;2841004]Hey bit, who'd you vote for?[/QUOTE]

he definitely voted for McCain :yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Voted in North Jersey at 8 AM...was in and out in 3 minutes.

It was fairly busy, but it was organized well which cut back on the wait time.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2841009]I live downtown, in River West.

[B]I see we are both on the Blue Line[/B]![/QUOTE]

I'm so happy for you, I'm just a tingle! :D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    in and out in here in Camden...which is a shame, because i was hoping to use voting as a nice excuse to be late to class, but what can you do...

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2841017]he definitely voted for McCain :yes:[/QUOTE]

Nah, he's a Nader-ite. :D

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I voted at 10:00 a.m. Steady stream of people but no wait.

Black markers in little ovals! OLD SCHOOL BABY!!!!