Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Two major industries likely to be abolished today

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Two major industries likely to be abolished today

When the likely happens and Obama wins the presidency, the humongous industry of "racism" that has grossly lined the pockets of wonderful human beings such as Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson will no longer hold water. Millions of Americans will now have to look in the mirror and finally blame themselves for their personal shortcomings, daily travails and human foibles that befall every one of us, no matter what color our skin. Personal accountability -- what a concept.

Industry #2 to bite the bullet will be feminism. Any "women's rights" leader who attempts to address the country with a straight face after the shameless sexist virtual raping of Sarah Palin, all done gleefully by the liberal, tolerant, progressive left, will be a transparent joke.

Now that that's out of the way, no matter who you choose, get off your ass today and exercise your right to vote!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;2840866]When the likely happens and Obama wins the presidency, the humongous industry of "racism" that has grossly lined the pockets of wonderful human beings such as Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson will no longer hold water. Millions of Americans will now have to look in the mirror and finally blame themselves for their personal shortcomings, daily travails and human foibles that befall every one of us, no matter what color our skin. Personal accountability -- what a concept.

Industry #2 to bite the bullet will be feminism. Any "women's rights" leader who attempts to address the country with a straight face after the shameless sexist virtual raping of Sarah Palin, all done gleefully by the liberal, tolerant, progressive left, will be a transparent joke.

Now that that's out of the way, no matter who you choose, get off your ass today and exercise your right to vote![/QUOTE]

And those are both good things for this country.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, the bitter have come to drink.... :rolleyes:

Racism is alive and well. Doing better than the auto industry.

Sarah Palin has only two people to blame for her debacle of arrogance, stupidity, and shallowness -- Sarah Palin and John McCain. I'm embarrassed for you that you so gullibly swallowed the cheap sell.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TerryBadway;2840884]And those are both good things for this country.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. Unless you're one of the millions who have made victimhood and living off of guilt payments a career. Then it sucks.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2840889]Ah, the bitter have come to drink.... :rolleyes:

Racism is alive and well. Doing better than the auto industry.

Sarah Palin has only two people to blame for her debacle of arrogance, stupidity, and shallowness -- Sarah Palin and John McCain. I'm embarrassed for you that you so gullibly swallowed the cheap sell.[/QUOTE]

I'm not bitter in the least. With the exception of slight fluctuations in my paycheck, my life has hummed along rather nicely no matter which party has been in power.

Obama winning will expose a lot about this country -- exposing much of what was bad while exposing much about it that is great. As for a racist country electing a black man, only a true democrat could do that math.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;2840892]Absolutely. Unless you're one of the millions who have made victimhood and living off of guilt payments a career. Then it sucks.[/QUOTE]

Well, I am black, and I earned my degrees via merit (Had 80% percentile stats to the programs of which I applied). Earned my post-grad job through a diversity fair where I was the 1 person hired out of 30 2nd round candidates. I remain the only POC in an executive track position on my side of the organization. That being said, I still had people (overtly and covertly) question whether I "belonged."

While I think part of your argument is right, I hope you also recognize that there's a HUGE gray area with some of these issues. You say "Guilt Payments", as if nothing was owed. There was a debt, you don't deny that, do you?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed that an Obama election is a major blow to identity politics and racial; grievance politics in general. He has essentially repudiated both. And Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are now basically out of business as the self-appointed "leaders" of the black community. I think we can all agree that's a good thing.

As far as Palin goes, the most sexist thing about her candidacy was her selection, as far as I'm concerned. It screamed: "Women are so stupid they'll vote for any woman, for no other reason than that she's a woman."

I don't believe any of the criticism she received was particularly sexist. The fact is, she had astonishingly little knowledge of national issues and was roughed up because of that. If Barack Obama didn't know what the Bush doctrine was, or couldn't offer a coherent explanation about the financial crisis, or cited the proximity of his state to Canada as a national-security credential, he, too, would have been mocked. She was the worst veep pick in history.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TerryBadway;2840910]
    While I think part of your argument is right, I hope you also recognize that there's a HUGE gray area with some of these issues. You say "Guilt Payments", as if nothing was owed. There was a debt, you don't deny that, do you?[/QUOTE]

Yep, there are gray areas. As to your question, I'll ask a few of my own. Why is it my debt? When is it considered paid off? Is Obama owed the debt? If so, why? If not, why not?

Serious questions.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;2840949]Yep, there are gray areas. As to your question, I'll ask a few of my own. Why is it my debt? When is it considered paid off? Is Obama owed the debt? If so, why? If not, why not?

Serious questions.[/QUOTE]

Shakin...Those are the great questions. And those questions are at the heart of the battle for not only programs (affirmative action, diversity programing, social investment), but the answers to those questions are the primary drivers for the resentment between the races. And we may agree on some of these, and strongly disagree on others, but I can accept (to an extent) that other side of the argument.

The thing is.....We first have to answer, was/is there a debt owed?

My answer to that would be, Certainly.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TerryBadway;2840977]Shakin...Those are the great questions. And those questions are at the heart of the battle for not only programs (affirmative action, diversity programing, social investment), but the answers to those questions are the primary drivers for the resentment between the races. And we may agree on some of these, and strongly disagree on others, but I can accept (to an extent) that other side of the argument.

The thing is.....We first have to answer, was/is there a debt owed?

My answer to that would be, Certainly.[/QUOTE]

There were horrible injustices, too many to count, for ages. But I have to go back and answer your question with the same questions. How do we define the debt? How do we know when it's paid off? Aren't those programs you listed payment? What percentage of the debt is considered paid off by those programs? What do we owe the other ethnic groups and races that were horribly oppressed? Who is "we?" As relative successes, aren't you and me "we?" Or is it just me? Does "we" include white trailer trash in Appalachia?

Clearly it would be impossible to arrive at concrete answers to the questions...and I don't expect that we will here today. So I'll just say that I appreciate and respect your replies, and leave it at that.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;2840866]When the likely happens and Obama wins the presidency, the humongous industry of "racism" that has grossly lined the pockets of wonderful human beings such as Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson will no longer hold water. Millions of Americans will now have to look in the mirror and finally blame themselves for their personal shortcomings, daily travails and human foibles that befall every one of us, no matter what color our skin. Personal accountability -- what a concept.[/quote]
    It's funny, my good friend is a far lefty anti corporate Nader type. He's always been very strongly and vocally behind AA issues and he said something similar to me.

He said that he almost doesn't want Obama to win because people will incorrectly reach the same conclusion you have. (on edit: I didn't agree with him, but I also think slime like Sharpton and JJ will be alive and thrive everytime someone disagrees with Obama)

[quote]

Now that that's out of the way, no matter who you choose, get off your ass today and exercise your right to vote![/QUOTE]

How was Palin shamelessly, sexist virtual raped? We can't criticize and make fun because she's a women? You sound as bad as the people you vilify in your first example
    Last edited by CTM; 11-04-2008 at 10:25 AM.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rich and poor racism is alive and growing. The trend of the ever widening gap between the have's and have nots is growing at an alarming rate.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TerryBadway;2840977]The thing is.....We first have to answer, was/is there a debt owed?

My answer to that would be, Certainly.[/QUOTE]

My answer is no.

Throughout recorded (and unrecorded) human history, "winners" of conflicts have taken advantage of "losers" in every way humanly possible.

Put simply, Africa (and South America) lost (and in many ways their leaders helped themselves lose), Europe and her colonies "won", and the result is what happened (and has happened everywhere on earth throughout history up till recent times): Slavery.

Africans were not the first slaves, nor the worst treated slaves, in history. Doesn't make what happened right in any form whatsoever, but should put it into a more appropriate historical perspective.

So unless you feel something is owed by every single winner in recorded history, to every single loser in recorded history, then no, nothing is "owed" specificly to today's American Blacks.

More importantly, the people who suffered are all dead, as are the pople who made them suffer. Trying to forward past guilt and past vitimization to today is flatly intellectually dishonest.

I continue to give the example: My family came here to the States in 1970's. Clearly, I have NO debt wahtsoever to you or anyone else for Slavery, or even the racism of the 50's and 60's. But I have suffered personally to "right the wrong" that no one alive today actually suffered under.

What we, as a people, should be working on is equallity. Not racial revenge.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2841018]My answer is no.

Throughout recorded (and unrecorded) human history, "winners" of conflicts have taken advantage of "losers" in every way humanly possible.

Put simply, Africa (and South America) lost (and in many ways their leaders helped themselves lose), Europe and her colonies "won", and the result is what happened (and has happened everywhere on earth throughout history up till recent times): Slavery.

Africans were not the first slaves, nor the worst treated slaves, in history. Doesn't make what happened right in any form whatsoever, but should put it into a more appropriate historical perspective.

So unless you feel something is owed by every single winner in recorded history, to every single loser in recorded history, then no, nothing is "owed" specificly to today's American Blacks.

More importantly, the people who suffered are all dead, as are the pople who made them suffer. Trying to forward past guilt and past vitimization to today is flatly intellectually dishonest.

I continue to give the example: My family came here to the States in 1970's. Clearly, I have NO debt wahtsoever to you or anyone else for Slavery, or even the racism of the 50's and 60's. But I have suffered personally to "right the wrong" that no one alive today actually suffered under.

[B]What we, as a people, should be working on is equallity. Not racial revenge[/B].[/QUOTE]

+1 :yes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;2840998]There were horrible injustices, too many to count, for ages. But I have to go back and answer your question with the same questions. How do we define the debt? How do we know when it's paid off? Aren't those programs you listed payment? What percentage of the debt is considered paid off by those programs? What do we owe the other ethnic groups and races that were horribly oppressed? Who is "we?" As relative successes, aren't you and me "we?" Or is it just me? Does "we" include white trailer trash in Appalachia?

Clearly it would be impossible to arrive at concrete answers to the questions...and I don't expect that we will here today. So I'll just say that I appreciate and respect your replies, and leave it at that.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha.....I agree, this issue has a ton of depth and complexity, and to spend the time necessary to explore these arguments on a message board is moot.

I will say though, that I define we as "all of us." The way I contribute to paying back "the country's debt," Is through not only my tax dollars (no matter how minute that might be), but through donating some of my time and money to underprivileged communities here in Chicago (Black, Latino, and Polish residents).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2841018]My answer is no.

What we, as a people, should be working on is equallity. Not racial revenge.[/QUOTE]

So tell me, how do we work on equality?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;2840866]Industry #2 to bite the bullet will be feminism. Any "women's rights" leader who attempts to address the country with a straight face after the shameless sexist virtual raping of Sarah Palin, all done gleefully by the liberal, tolerant, progressive left, will be a transparent joke.![/QUOTE]

Virtual raping? Is that like a high tech lynching?

Please. Palin is a lightweight regardless of her sex.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2841018]More importantly, the people who suffered are all dead, as are the pople who made them suffer. Trying to forward past guilt and past vitimization to today is flatly intellectually dishonest.
    [/QUOTE]

Are you serious?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TerryBadway;2841048]So tell me, how do we work on equality?[/QUOTE]

Well, thats the rub isn't it?

For some, the way to do that is reverse racism. For some, it's legislating equallity of opportunity and equallity of funding for existing programs (like education). For some, it's something else.

For me, racism is wrong, regardless of the reason. When you penalize one race (in the law) for the benefit of another, thats racism.

Trust me Terry, I see and get your side (some of the best discssions I've ever had in my life were back in highs school with one specific black friend of mine, priceless times and discussions I would never trade for anything). I understand your point of view, I just think there are better ways to reach our goals than racial revenge, and the bitterness that it causes which is more counterproductive than productive.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2841018]More importantly, the people who suffered are all dead, as are the pople who made them suffer. Trying to forward past guilt and past vitimization to today is flatly intellectually dishonest.[/QUOTE]

False. Try again.