Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: market rally

market rally

The major U.S. indices closed higher today on optimism ahead of the conclusion of tonight’s President Election. According to Bloomberg, today’s stock rally was the most on a Presidential Election Day in 24 years.

Hall Of Fame
    24 years.... 24 years... hmmmm....... who did we elect 24 years ago? :scratch:

Jets Insider VIP
    If Obama wins and Democrats DON'T get a big swing in Congress, I expect the market to take off tomorrow. A lot of people want some change but not unrestrained Democrats pushing tax and spend.

[QUOTE=bitonti;2842091]The major U.S. indices closed higher today on optimism ahead of the conclusion of tonight’s President Election. According to Bloomberg, today’s stock rally was the most on a Presidential Election Day in 24 years.[/QUOTE]

So what? Invest for the long-term, baby.

Jets Insider VIP
    Sell the rally.

Now that Obama has been elected, let's see what happens tomorrow.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 11-05-2008 at 12:56 AM.

[QUOTE=jetstream23;2843162]Sell the rally.

Now that Obama has been elected, let's see what happens tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

I think the rule of thumb is that the stocks will close the month about 2-3% higher and then another 1-2% to close out the year.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2842091]The major U.S. indices closed higher today on optimism ahead of the conclusion of tonight’s President Election. According to Bloomberg, today’s stock rally was the most on a Presidential Election Day in 24 years.[/QUOTE]

So yesterday's optimism about the potential of the election has turned into today's pessimism about the actual result?

[QUOTE]Stocks fall as investors ponder Obama presidency
    Wednesday November 5, 2:59 pm ET
    By Sara Lepro, AP Business Writer [/QUOTE]

[url]http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081105/wall_street.html[/url]

I have to think that, given the ovbviosu direction of the polls, an Obama presidency has already been "priced into" stocks at this point. The idea that we should be treating daily swings --up or down-- in a volatile market as some sort of referendum on the election is a little silly.

We are entering a recession. Corporate earnings are falling. Stocks are declining.

That's what happens in a recession.

[QUOTE=nuu faaola;2844117]I have to think that, given the ovbviosu direction of the polls, an Obama presidency has already been "priced into" stocks at this point. The idea that we should be treating daily swings --up or down-- in a volatile market as some sort of referendum on the election is a little silly.

We are entering a recession. Corporate earnings are falling. Stocks are declining.

That's what happens in a recession.[/QUOTE]

Nonsense.

Obama > $, his magic will lift the economy just as his presence will cool global warming.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2844106]So yesterday's optimism about the potential of the election has turned into today's pessimism about the actual result?[/QUOTE]

Buy the rumor, sell the news.

The bottom line is that absolutely nothing has changed in the fundamentals. We will be making new lows in the next couple of months.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=sackdance;2844129]Nonsense.

Obama > $, his magic will lift the economy just as his presence will cool global warming.[/QUOTE]

Also, scientists will soon discover that Obama's poo cures cancer and AIDS.

It tanked today!

How happy are you right now?

[QUOTE=MnJetFan;2844214]It tanked today![/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    Worst first day stock performance following an election in history.

bit, you've been all over the forum today but not come back to your own thread here. What are your thoughts? I'm hearing that the market rallied yesterday on obviously unfounded rumors that McCain could steal the election. Today's realization that our economic system under Obama could be in for a world of hurt seems to have caused a huge selloff. Dow down 5.05% since Obama elected.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 11-05-2008 at 06:23 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Looking like tomorrow [I]could[/I] be worse. S&P futures and markets in Asia all looking lower again overnight.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2844836]Looking like tomorrow [I]could[/I] be worse. S&P futures and markets in Asia all looking lower again overnight.[/QUOTE]

Yea I would look at the pharma companies now. They are getting verry worried about what will happen to them.

I loved the title of the post though....comical..absolutely comical.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The market continues to slide.

What happened to the rally caused by Obama euphoria?

Who do you think would be hit hardest by increase in corporate tax?

You are def. right. If GW could of gotten a 3rd term the market would be skyrocketing.

[QUOTE=Piper;2844997]The market continues to slide.

What happened to the rally caused by Obama euphoria?

Who do you think would be hit hardest by increase in corporate tax?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=sec.101row23;2844874]
    I loved the title of the post though....comical..absolutely comical.[/QUOTE]

there was a market rally and it was because of optimism. maybe it was optimism of an early bed time, or maybe it was optimism of stability. but it happened...

as for every other day since then that doesn't prove Obama was the wrong choice. it just proves we are in a volitile market, reflecting an economy in crisis.