Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: President Obamas Cabinet.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2844756]I like Sean Connery, but he has made some horrible decisions in his career.

In fact, everything he has ever done, except for The Last Crusade, The Untouchables, and the first five Bond films, has been a bad decision.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm. I did like him in "The Presidio" and "The Rock".

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2844756]I like Sean Connery, but he has made some horrible decisions in his career.

In fact, everything he has ever done, except for The Last Crusade, The Untouchables, and the first five Bond films, has been a bad decision.[/QUOTE]

Finding Forrester and Hunt for Red October are great movies. As is The Rock, if only for his "Winners go home and f-ck the prom queen" line.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Correction, I'll definitely add The Rock to my "doesn't suck" list. That's a fun movie, I stop and watch it whenever it's on TV.

Never saw The Presidio.

I didn't like The Hunt for Red October for two reasons: 1) Connery's phony Russian accent, and 2) Alec Baldwin as Jack Ryan?? Come ooooon.

Finding Forrester, despite it's few charms, was a big, cliched airline crash. You're the man now, dog.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's reports now that Colin Powell may be a candidate for SecDef.

If he gets it, his career would have taken an amazing path: SecState, National Security Advisor, Chairman of the JCS and now SecDef.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Equilibrium;2844996]There's reports now that Colin Powell may be a candidate for SecDef.

If he gets it, his career would have taken an amazing path: SecState, National Security Advisor, Chairman of the JCS and now SecDef.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the position Powell is being most linked with is Secretary of Education. He has long been involved and interested in the subject and obviously has the management skills to run a big department.

I do not think Obama will want him at State or Defense because he will not want to evoke memories of the Iraq War in that way.

The most rumored names for defense are Bob Gates, who Obama may ask to stay, or Chuck Hegel. Either would be great, imo.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2845123]Actually, the position Powell is being most linked with is Secretary of Education. He has long been involved and interested in the subject and obviously has the management skills to run a big department.

I do not think Obama will want him at State or Defense because he will not want to evoke memories of the Iraq War in that way.

The most rumored names for defense are Bob Gates, who Obama may ask to stay, or Chuck Hegel. Either would be great, imo.[/QUOTE]

Powell and his wife have long been the head of philanthropic educational initiatives, I even saw one about two years ago when he was raising funds for scholarships for disadvantaged and inner-city youth. Powell's choice for Education would be the fulfillment of his personal philanthropic interests.

As I posted earlier, my Obama campaign/ transition comittee associates have mentioned Gates, Hagel, Warner and Powell as possible candidates.

I have served under SecDef Gates for about three years and can say that Obama's retention of him would be an inspired choice, but Gates has sacrificed much and has hinted at leaving with the Bush Administration. I think in the interest of continuity and intellectual and administrative capacity at a time when preparation for the continued reduction of our commitments to Iraq for our eventual withdrawal by 2011 and his constant advocacy for more forces for Afghanistan as well as his handling of the DoD's budgetary fights, his remaining would be ideal.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Equilibrium;2845241]Powell and his wife have long been the head of philanthropic educational initiatives, I even saw one about two years ago when he was raising funds for scholarships for disadvantaged and inner-city youth. Powell's choice for Education would be the fulfillment of his personal philanthropic interests.

As I posted earlier, my Obama campaign/ transition comittee associates have mentioned Gates, Hagel, Warner and Powell as possible candidates.

I have served under SecDef Gates for about three years and can say that Obama's retention of him would be an inspired choice, but Gates has sacrificed much and has hinted at leaving with the Bush Administration. I think in the interest of continuity and intellectual and administrative capacity at a time when preparation for the continued reduction of our commitments to Iraq for our eventual withdrawal by 2011 and his constant advocacy for more forces for Afghanistan as well as his handling of the DoD's budgetary fights, his remaining would be ideal.[/QUOTE]

I hope Gates stays.

If not, either Warner or Hagel would be good choices. All are experienced, competent, non-ideological public servants, and --frankly-- I also think it is very important for Obama to have at least a couple Republicans in key cabinet positions.

He doesn't have to do it, but it would send a very good message.

(Related aside: I was a pretty apathetic Gore voter in 2000. I did not like how Bush got into office at all, but figured given his popular-vote loss and his "uniter" rhetoric he would have a unity cabinet of sorts. When the only Dem in his cabinet turned out to be keeping Norm Minetta at Transportation, it enraged me. If Obama gives the GOP a significant post --like defense or state-- I think he will send a message to conservatives that, however liberal he is, he respects their views.)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Highlander was badass. I liked Rising Sun too.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Marnie was good Connery.

But The Man Who Would Be King is outstanding Connery. Directed by John Huston too.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2846280]Marnie was good Connery.

But The Man Who Would Be King is outstanding Connery. Directed by John Huston too.[/QUOTE]

he had a good role in Time Bandits

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4vQ6y5gyoM[/url]