Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: McCain's concession speech was damn impressive

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=SONNY WERBLIN;2843471][URL]http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122584386627599251.html[/URL][/quote]

while i agree that trying to name a sewage plant after bush is shameful, i think the author is kidding himself that bush's popularity plummet had anything to do with him reaching across party lines, and while only time will tell, i'll be astounded if W isn't regarded as the flat-out worst president in the history of america. some of the bad things that happened on his watch were probably a matter of bad timing (for his sake), though his corporate america and big oil leanings certainly won't help him escape blame. but there are a great many 'bads' that are squarely on him and his crew: not finishing the job in afghanistan, running a poorly conceived, planned and executed war in iraq, stomping on both the constitution and the will of the people, etc., etc., etc.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;2843426]I'm actually more concerned that he has described the Constitution as a "flawed document", and stated that he believes the problem with recent Supreme Court appointees is their lack of ampathy for minorities, the poor, the disadvantaged, etc . . . This is pretty scary in that Justice is supposed to be blind. Heck, that's why she wears a blindfold. Honeslty, I was never really sure what he meant by this. I don't believe he actually means that if you are a poor disadvantaged minority a judge should consider this as a favorable part of whatever argument you are advancing. But, I'm not sure what else it could mean.[/QUOTE]

He didn't refer to the Constitution as a "flawed document". In fact, he actually referred to it as [B]"a remarkable political document that paved the way for where we are now." [/B]

He said that the Constitution "reflected a fundamental flaw of this country...."
    in not addressing the issue of slavery.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;2843599]He didn't refer to the Constitution as a "flawed document". In fact, he actually referred to it as [B]"a remarkable political document that paved the way for where we are now." [/B]

He said that the Constitution "reflected a fundamental flaw of this country...."
    in not addressing the issue of slavery.[/QUOTE]

Your first mistake is expecting intellectual honesty from a "conservative".

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shuler82;2843235]FCUK McCain and his speech.

He had the last 5 months to show America that he disowned the dirty, ugly politics of the neo-cons, yet he fully embraced whatever he could to win. hardly a 'maverick'.

Now, after losing, he wants to pretend to be bi-partisan and seem like he's reaching across the aisle?

it's too little, too late. i lost all respect for the man a long time ago.[/QUOTE]

Then you sir, are a very, very small boy if you cannot respect a man who has dedicated his life to serve his own country, and humbly welcome his opponent into office.

Perhaps you should look in the mirror and see what is wrong with your country, and not point fingers at a political party, and the people that represent it.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=CanadaSteve;2843794]Then you sir, are a very, very small boy if you cannot respect a man who has dedicated his life to serve his own country, and humbly welcome his opponent into office.

Perhaps you should look in the mirror and see what is wrong with your country, and not point fingers at a political party, and the people that represent it.[/quote]I don't agree with shuler, I think mccain's speech was very, very strong... but i can see where he's coming from. i find it so bizarre that after watching candidates scratch each other's eyes out for months, we're expected to buy it when they give their 'whole-hearted' support to their opponent in defeat. we see it on every level, from local elections, to intra-party primaries (hillary and bill clinton say "hi") on up to the presidency...

not sure if shuler falls into this category, but i also think mccain/palin disappointed many non-extreme repubs much in the way that kerry disappointed middle-of-the-road people looking for a decent alternative to bush (like myself) in 2004.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;2843599]He didn't refer to the Constitution as a "flawed document". In fact, he actually referred to it as [B]"a remarkable political document that paved the way for where we are now." [/B]

in not addressing the issue of slavery.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for correcting me. Just goes to show you that you can not believe everything you read. I am reminded not simply to repeat what I read, but to search for the truth. I still have concerns regarding his desire to have Supreme Court judges who have more empath to the poor, minority, disadvantage, etc.. Cases should be decided on the merits, not on the status of the paerties invovlved.

But like I've said in other threads, even though I did not vote for BO my greatest desire is that he is a wonderful success and governs from the center.

[url]http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/obama_constitution/2008/10/27/144675.html[/url]

[QUOTE]Barack Obama, what are your thoughts on the Declaration and Constitution?”

“I-I-I think it’s a remarkable document –“ he began haltingly.

“Which one?” Helfrich interjected.

“The original Constitution as well as the Civil War Amendments,” he replied. “But I think it is an imperfect document, and I think it is a document that reflects some deep flaws in American culture, the Colonial culture nascent at that time.

“African-Americans were not -- first of all they weren’t African-Americans -- the Africans at the time were not considered as part of the polity that was of concern to the Framers. I think that as Richard said it was a ‘nagging problem’ in the same way that these days we might think of environmental issues, or some other problem where you have to balance cost-benefits, as opposed to seeing it as a moral problem involving persons of moral worth.

“And in that sense,” Obama continued, “I think we can say that the Constitution reflected an enormous blind spot in this culture that carries on until this day, and that the Framers had that same blind spot. I don’t think the two views are contradictory, to say that it was a remarkable political document that paved the way for where we are now, and to say that it also reflected the fundamental flaw of this country that continues to this day.”

Obama did not elaborate on the “fundamental flaw” that persists.[/QUOTE]

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2®;2843391]I would have shown W some respect if he had shown some for the Constitution.[/QUOTE]

Hear Hear!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;2843946]Thank you for correcting me. Just goes to show you that you can not believe [B]anything [/B]you read. I am reminded not simply to repeat what I read, but to search for the truth. I still have concerns regarding his desire to have Supreme Court judges who have more empath to the poor, minority, disadvantage, etc.. Cases should be decided on the merits, not on the status of the paerties invovlved.

But like I've said in other threads, even though I did not vote for BO my greatest desire is that he is a wonderful success and governs from the center.

[url]http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/obama_constitution/2008/10/27/144675.html[/url][/QUOTE]

Corrected. It's sad how much BS there is out there these days. It's everywhere, and there's really no way you can avoid it all. I don't think a lot of these people even care what they're telling us, they just want a headline or hits on a blog site or just want to twist things to fit their agendas.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy-y-y-y;2842950]A compassionate voice of reason who reached across party lines. Just like the McCain I heard about years ago. So where was this guy during the campaign? Perhaps, he hired a lot of people who gave him bad advice and turned him into someone he's not.[/QUOTE]

I voted for McCain and his concession speech certainly confirmed my belief in him as both a man and a President.

I also agree with you that his campaign was less then stellar.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy-y-y-y;2842950]A compassionate voice of reason who reached across party lines. Just like the McCain I heard about years ago. So where was this guy during the campaign? [B]Perhaps, he hired a lot of people who gave him bad advice and turned him into someone he's not[/B].[/QUOTE]

Karl Rove?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2®;2843391]I would have shown W some respect if he had shown some for the Constitution.[/QUOTE]

+1776

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy-y-y-y;2842950]A compassionate voice of reason who reached across party lines. Just like the McCain I heard about years ago. So where was this guy during the campaign? [/QUOTE]

I agree. If this was the John McCain that ran for President instead of the one who took every opportunity to bash Obama and used a hired pit bull (Palin) to do the same, he may have actually won this election. Assuming he also would have laid out his policies in a clear, coherent and consistent fashion.

I'll say it again, this will go down as the most ill-conceived and most poorly executed Presidential campaign to date.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;2844788]I agree. If this was the John McCain that ran for President instead of the one who took every opportunity to bash Obama and used a hired pit bull (Palin) to do the same, he may have actually won this election. Assuming he also would have laid out his policies in a clear, coherent and consistent fashion.

I'll say it again, this will go down as the most ill-conceived and most poorly executed Presidential campaign to date.[/QUOTE]

worse than Guliani?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    :D[QUOTE=piney;2844789]worse than Guliani?[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't think ANYONE could help Guliani. :D