Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Should Cheney Do With His 433,333 Halliburton Stock Options?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CTM;2844845]You're my kind of conservative.

Good answer..

Obama sold Idealism, I'm skeptical but will withhold judgment until he proves me right. Hopefully he doesn't[/QUOTE]

Ah you sir, are exactly correct. I don't understand where people get their close-mindedness into thinking that someone with a different ideology is a terrible person. The truth of the matter is that I see a lot of myself, in terms of personal traits, in Obama, although we have almost polar opposite views. That doesn't mean he cannot be a good leader. Won't lie though, the Emmanuel pick is already making me a little skeptical. Not the greatest of choices for bipartisanship.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;2843182]Once Obama gets sworn into office and Cheney goes back into civilian life Dick will finally get a chance to taste some of those big war profits he's generated over the years. The current value of his Halliburton stock options is between $8 - $9 million - and that's a conservative estimate. Only problem is once Barack is Prez there's the distinct possibility the value of Halliburton's stock can go down significantly.

My advice to Dick: call those options ASAP and then try to sell them off ASAP. Pawn them off to some suckers. You may not get as much war bucks as you originally thought but $6 mil in profit ain't too shabby.[/QUOTE]

I would cash those options in ASAP...before the capital gains tax triples under Obamas re-distribution of wealth.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheney has Halliburton stock?

Is that even legal?

;)

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsVault03;2843215]Dude, maybe this will make you feel better: if Bush and Cheney hadn't sucked so hardcore, there would have been a significantly smaller chance that Obama would be elected. So please, stop being arrogant, stop gloating, and if you would like to have some intelligent conversation sans political rhetoric, we would all appreciate.[/QUOTE]

If I could poop twenty dollar bills I'd build a giant golden robot and ride it around town

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keep It!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Smashmouth;2843183]I hope once he cashes them in he drops dead before he even gets to smell the money[/QUOTE]

classy

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2844905]Cheney has Halliburton stock?

Is that even legal?

;)[/QUOTE]

Dick "5 Vietnam Deferments" has stock options in Halliburton. He had to get rid of his stocks before he became VP because of the obivious conflict of interest it created but held onto his stock options - which are almost the same thing and created the same conflict of interest during Bust Jr.'s presidency.

The holder of stock options has the right to buy stock in a corporation at a price set at the time of the agreement - regardless of whether the price of those stocks skyrockets through the stratusphere in the future - which is exactly what happened after Halliburton's stock after the invasion of Iraq. I don't know the exact rate of growth of Halliburton's stock the past 5 years but I'm pretty sure it's well over 3200%.
    Last edited by VincenzoTestaverde; 11-06-2008 at 10:50 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SanAntonio_JetFan;2844966]classy[/QUOTE]

We all know Dick Cheney is the epitome of class.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;2845155] I don't know the exact rate of growth of Halliburton's stock the past 5 years but I'm pretty sure it's well over 3200%.[/QUOTE]

[B]5-Nov-08[/B] 19.55 20.56 18.87 19.22 20,328,100 [B]19.22 [/B]

[B]5-Nov-03[/B] 23.92 24.50 23.82 24.35 7,789,000 [B]11.51 [/B]

Safe to say you do not know the exact rate of HAL's stock growth over the last 5 years. Appreciate though how you never let facts get in the way of a good rant.:rolleyes:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheney's Halliburton Stock Options Soar to $9.2 Million

Thursday, September 15, 2005

WASHINGTON -- Senator Frank R. Lautenberg reiterated his call for Vice President Dick Cheney to forfeit his continuing financial interest in the Halliburton Co (HAL), in light of the surging value of Vice President Cheney's Halliburton holdings. [B]Vice President Cheney continues to hold 433,333 Halliburton stock options, now worth $9,214,154.93 (at close yesterday.) [/B]
    "As Halliburton's fortunes rise, so does the Vice President's, and that is wrong," said Senator Lautenberg. "Halliburton has already raked in more than $10 billion from the Bush-Cheney Administration for work in Iraq, and now they are being awarded some of the first Katrina contracts. It is unseemly for the Vice President to continue to benefit from this company at the same time his Administration funnels billions of dollars to it."

The Vice President has attempted to fend off criticism by signing an agreement to donate the after-tax profits from these stock options to charities of his choice, and his lawyer has said he will not take any tax deduction for the donations. Valued at over $9 million, the Vice President could exercise his stock options for a substantial windfall, benefiting not only his designated charities, but also providing Halliburton with a tax deduction.

[B]The Vice President also continues to receive "deferred salary" from Halliburton. While in office, he has received the following salary payments from Halliburton:

Deferred salary paid by Halliburton to Vice President Cheney in 2001: $205,298 Deferred salary paid by Halliburton to Vice President Cheney in 2002: $162,392 Deferred salary paid by Halliburton to Vice President Cheney in 2003: $178,437 Deferred salary paid by Halliburton to Vice President Cheney in 2004: $194,852 [/B]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;2845667]Cheney's Halliburton Stock Options Soar to $9.2 Million

Thursday, September 15, 2005

WASHINGTON -- Senator Frank R. Lautenberg reiterated his call for Vice President Dick Cheney to forfeit his continuing financial interest in the Halliburton Co (HAL), in light of the surging value of Vice President Cheney's Halliburton holdings. [B]Vice President Cheney continues to hold 433,333 Halliburton stock options, now worth $9,214,154.93 (at close yesterday.) [/B]
    "As Halliburton's fortunes rise, so does the Vice President's, and that is wrong," said Senator Lautenberg. "Halliburton has already raked in more than $10 billion from the Bush-Cheney Administration for work in Iraq, and now they are being awarded some of the first Katrina contracts. It is unseemly for the Vice President to continue to benefit from this company at the same time his Administration funnels billions of dollars to it."

The Vice President has attempted to fend off criticism by signing an agreement to donate the after-tax profits from these stock options to charities of his choice, and his lawyer has said he will not take any tax deduction for the donations. Valued at over $9 million, the Vice President could exercise his stock options for a substantial windfall, benefiting not only his designated charities, but also providing Halliburton with a tax deduction.

[B]The Vice President also continues to receive "deferred salary" from Halliburton. While in office, he has received the following salary payments from Halliburton:

Deferred salary paid by Halliburton to Vice President Cheney in 2001: $205,298 Deferred salary paid by Halliburton to Vice President Cheney in 2002: $162,392 Deferred salary paid by Halliburton to Vice President Cheney in 2003: $178,437 Deferred salary paid by Halliburton to Vice President Cheney in 2004: $194,852 [/B][/QUOTE]

Did I miss where you showed a 3200% increase in HAL's value over the last 5 years? Must have missed it.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper;2843389]I don't think I have to worry about it. He is beholdent to Reid/Pelosi and the democrat machine.[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of a Jimmy Buffett song; Gypsies in the Palace

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2845697]Did I miss where you showed a 3200% increase in HAL's value over the last 5 years? Must have missed it.[/QUOTE]

Well I'm sure I'm allowed to talk about this because it's semi-public, however I'll stick with what facts we have from the article as well as historical price data from finance.google.com. I will not be discussing any confidential info or anything not published here already.

HAL just before the election in 2000 = $18.50
    HAL currently = $18.25 (was as high as $55+ within the past year even)

So you're thinking, not much gain, in fact it's a loss since he took over. However you'd be forgetting their 2:1 split in 2006. Then maybe you'd have to realize that the options were granted during his tenure at Haliburton, so you have to actually look at the prices from 1995 until 2000 to see what the grant price is. You'd then realize that the range is anywhere from $9 to $20 or so and then there is yet another 2:1 stock split in 1997.

So let's figure it out...

gain on 9/15/05
    9214154.93 / 433333 = $21 per share

Price on 9/15/05
    around 33

average Grant price =
    33 - 21 = 11

take into account 2:1 split in 2006
    11 / 2 = 5.5 grant price
    433,333 * 2 = 866,666

Current spread / gain
    18.25 - 5.5 = 12.75

12.75 * 866,666 = 11,000,000+ as of close today for known/published figures

Please note these are rough estimates and they do not take into account any options that were 'underwater' at the time of the article or options not mentioned here

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2845973]Well I'm sure I'm allowed to talk about this because it's semi-public, however I'll stick with what facts we have from the article as well as historical price data from finance.google.com. I will not be discussing any confidential info or anything not published here already.

HAL just before the election in 2000 = $18.50
    HAL currently = $18.25 (was as high as $55+ within the past year even)

So you're thinking, not much gain, in fact it's a loss since he took over. However you'd be forgetting their 2:1 split in 2006. Then maybe you'd have to realize that the options were granted during his tenure at Haliburton, so you have to actually look at the prices from 1995 until 2000 to see what the grant price is. You'd then realize that the range is anywhere from $9 to $20 or so and then there is yet another 2:1 stock split in 1997.

So let's figure it out...

gain on 9/15/05
    9214154.93 / 433333 = $21 per share

Price on 9/15/05
    around 33

average Grant price =
    33 - 21 = 11

take into account 2:1 split in 2006
    11 / 2 = 5.5 grant price
    433,333 * 2 = 866,666

Current spread / gain
    18.25 - 5.5 = 12.75

12.75 * 866,666 = 11,000,000+ as of close today for known/published figures

Please note these are rough estimates and they do not take into account any options that were 'underwater' at the time of the article or options not mentioned here[/QUOTE]
    This is all fine and good, but the esteemed poster in question clearly made the statement that HAL [B]stock[/B] grew over 3200% in the last 5 years. The number bolded is infact split adjusted for the 2006 2 for 1. In any case, you must admit that the increase is no where near 3200%. Have to say it is sweet of you to try to come to the aid of your mathematically challenged brother, though.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2845992]This is all fine and good, but the esteemed poster in question clearly made the statement that HAL [B]stock[/B] grew over 3200% in the last 5 years. The number bolded is infact split adjusted for the 2006 2 for 1. In any case, you must admit that the increase is no where near 3200%. Have to say it is sweet of you to try to come to the aid of your mathematically challenged brother, though.[/QUOTE]

Sorry if your boy Dick Cheney and his 5 Vietnam deferments were only able to make 8-9 million off the Halliburton stock opions. I guess even Dick Cheney's war profiteering schemes aren't fully immune to him and the republican party's inept economic policies.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;2845995]Sorry if your boy Dick Cheney and his 5 Vietnam deferments were only able to make 8-9 million off the Halliburton stock opions. I guess even Dick Cheney's war profiteering schemes aren't fully immune to him and the republican party's inept economic policies.[/QUOTE]

So I will take this as a "classy" admission that you had your facts wrong.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2846004]So I will take this as a "classy" admission that you had your facts wrong.[/QUOTE]

Why would you think he cares about facts?

People who succeed are evil, remember?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2845992]This is all fine and good, but the esteemed poster in question clearly made the statement that HAL [B]stock[/B] grew over 3200% in the last 5 years. The number bolded is infact split adjusted for the 2006 2 for 1. In any case, you must admit that the increase is no where near 3200%. Have to say it is sweet of you to try to come to the aid of your mathematically challenged brother, though.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, the max increase from when he received them through now was a > 1000% increase earlier this year

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2846102]I agree with you, the max increase from when he received them through now was a > 1000% increase earlier this year[/QUOTE]

So you hate smart people?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper;2846105]So you hate smart people?[/QUOTE]

interesting thought extrapolation... not quite sure how you arrived there, but interesting none-the-less