Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: President Obama and the Democratic Majority: The New Direction of America

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Straight from the horse's mouth.

Note the specificity of these priorities:

[QUOTE]Sen. Barack Obama told CNN on Friday that turning around the economy and energy independence are his priorities for 2009 if he is elected president.

In an interview with Wolf Blitzer in Des Moines, Iowa, Obama was asked to name his top priority from a list of issues, including taxes, health care, education, energy policy and immigration.

"[[B]The] top priority may not be any of those five. It may be continuing to stabilize the financial system. [/B]We don't know yet what's going to happen in January," he said. "None of this can be accomplished if we continue to see a potential meltdown in the banking system and financial system. So that's priority No. 1: making sure the plumbing works."

[B]Obama said priority No. 2 is energy independence:[/B]

"We have to seize this moment, because it's not just an energy independence issue; it's also a national security issue, and it's a jobs issue. We can create 5 million new green energy jobs." Watch: Fixing the economy top priority, Obama says

[B]Priority No. 3: Health care reform[/B].

[B]Priority No. 4: "Making sure we have tax cuts for the middle class as part of a broader tax reform effort."[/B]

Obama later expanded his discussion on how tax cuts relate to a bigger economic plan.

"The tax cut that I talked about may be part of my priority No. 1, because I think that's going to be part of stabilizing the economy as a whole," he said.

"I think we're going to need a second stimulus. Part of my commitment is to make sure that the stimulus includes a tax cut for 95 percent of working Americans. It may be the first bill I introduce." Watch Obama talk about the details of his tax plan

[B]Priority No. 5: Reforming the education system.
    [/B]
    Separately, Obama was asked about his pledge to have a bipartisan administration, and whether it included room for his opponent.

"Well, I will tell you what," Obama said. "I would certainly consider any position for John McCain where I thought he was going to be the best person for our country."

He also blasted McCain for not catching Osama bin Laden.

McCain has said in a presidential debate that he knows how to capture bin Laden but has failed to explain how he may accomplish that task.

It's something that's not lost on Obama.

"Clearly, Sen. McCain doesn't know how to capture bin Laden, because he was supportive of a huge strategic blunder when it came to accomplishing the task," he said. "I will focus on what [Defense Secretary Robert] Gates and others have indicated as our No. 1 security threat, and that is bin Laden and Al Qaeda." Watch Obama say McCain doesn't know how to catch Osama bin Laden

Obama also discussed a possible strategy for stabilizing the war-torn country of Afghanistan -- and the resurgence of the Taliban and al Qaeda in nearby Pakistan.

"[Pakistan] are a fledging Democratic government. ... We have to support their efforts to democratize. That means ... not just providing military aid. It means also helping them to provide concrete solutions to the poverty and lack of education that exists," he said.

Obama has said that he would address Pakistan policy to secure the border and crack down on terrorist camps.

"We must make it clear that if Pakistan cannot or will not act, we will take out high-level terrorist targets like [Osama] bin Laden if we have them in our sights," he has said.

The Illinois senator also proposes to cut down on narcotics trafficking by offering alternative livelihoods to poppy farmers.

On Afghanistan, Obama has said in the past that he would send at least two additional combat brigades to Afghanistan and would seek greater contributions -- with fewer restrictions -- from NATO allies. Watch Obama talk about his policy in Afghanistan

Obama would focus on training Afghan security forces and supporting an Afghan judiciary, with more resources and incentives for American officers who perform these missions. He also proposed an additional $1 billion in nonmilitary assistance each year, with meaningful safeguards to prevent corruption and to make sure investments are made, not just in Kabul but also in Afghanistan's provinces.

McCain, meanwhile, would send three additional brigades to Afghanistan and double the size of the Afghan army to 160,000 troops.

He also proposes to pay for the Afghan troop increase through an international trust fund financed by the United States and its allies, and would apply the counter-insurgency technique being employed in Iraq to the Afghanistan conflict.

McCain has said he would appoint an "Afghanistan czar" based in the White House who would report directly to the president.

On the Afghanistan/Pakistan border issue, McCain said he would crack down on narcotics trafficking in the country and would focus on strengthening local tribes on th[/QUOTE]e border between Pakistan and Afghanistan to fight terrorism there.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=Warfish;2843448]--Taxes will be raised (Obama claims only on ~$250-$150K and up. Many fear it will be $42K and up or worse). But taxes will be raised. [/quote]I LOL'd right off the bat. "Many fear it will be $42k and up or worse." - please add this:
    A guy in my office has a neighbor whose brother's girlfriend fears that we will all be taxed a full 75% of our salaries - OR WORSE. She plans to go on unemployment Jan 20th, leaving ~75 Westchester County women without their weekly manicure.

seriously, i'm a left-leaning independant, and 75% of your 'scary statements' sound OK (or at least necessary) to me. I'll pay an extra ~$5k+ in taxes next year, which sucks, but we've got to start paying the piper for the last few years, we can't just leave it to our children, and theirs.
    Last edited by isired; 11-05-2008 at 10:55 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2843553]You can read, can't you Nuu?

Democrats HAVE openly supported both issues, and this list is not for Obama alone (he isn't ruling alone, is he?) but also includes his Democrat ultra-majority and their agenda.

Are you so afriad of these things Nuu? Thsi is what you wanted. Now you have it, and you're afraid of it?[/QUOTE]

Oh, please. There are Republicans who support white supremacy and nuking Mecca. Does that mean those would have been on McCain's agenda?

Obama is in charge now. He has been incredibly specific as to what has priorities are. (see my earlier post.)

That's your answer.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=isired;2843560]I LOL'd right off the bat. "Many fear it will be $42k and up or worse." - please add this:
    A guy in my office has a neighbor whose brother's girlfriend fears that we will all be taxed a full 75% of our salaries - OR WORSE. She plans to go on unemployment Jan 20th, leaving ~75 Westchester County women without their weekly manicure.[/QUOTE]

Funny.....if Obama wasn't on record voting "yes" to increase taxes for everyone making over $42K.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2843563]Oh, please. There are Republicans who support white supremacy and nuking Mecca. Does that mean those would have been on McCain's agenda?

Obama is in charge now. He has been incredibly specific as to what has priorities are. (see my earlier post.)

That's your answer.[/QUOTE]

So you guarantee no talk of Raparation then Nuu? No talk of it at all in the next four years, eh?

And no Fairness Doctrine either, no talk of THAt the next four years either.

Guess we'll see soon enough, won't we. I'll be sure to accept your apology when they are raised.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2843564]Funny.....if Obama wasn't on record voting "yes" to increase taxes for everyone making over $42K.[/QUOTE]

Another lie you swallowed whole in this post:

[url]http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/more_tax_deceptions.html[/url]

[QUOTE]More Tax Deceptions
    August 8, 2008
    Updated: August 12, 2008
    McCain misrepresents Obama's tax proposals again. And again, and again.
    Summary

A TV spot claims Obama once voted for a tax increase "on people making just $42,000 a year." That's true for a single taxpayer, who would have seen a tax increase of $15 for the year if the measure had been enacted. But the ad shows a woman with two children, and as a single mother, she would not have been affected unless she made more than $62,150. The increase that Obama once supported as part of a Democratic budget bill is not part of his current tax plan anyway.

A Spanish-language radio ad claims the measure Obama supported would have raised taxes on "families" making $42,000, which is simply false. Even a single mother with one child would have been able to make $58,650 without being affected. A family of four with income up to $90,000 would not have been affected.[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2843563]Obama is in charge now. He has been incredibly specific as to what has priorities are. (see my earlier post.)

[/QUOTE]

Sorry. He is a talking head for Reid/Pelosi.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2843566]So you guarantee no talk of Raparation then Nuu? No talk of it at all in the next four years, eh?

And no Fairness Doctrine either, no talk of THAt the next four years either.

Guess we'll see soon enough, won't we. I'll be sure to accept your apology when they are raised.[/QUOTE]

Anybody can talk about reparations. There's "talk" of it now. But it ain't happening.

There clearly are Democrats who like the Fairness Doctrine. Obama is not on record as being one of them, as you implied in your post. It would have been a popular stance to take in the primaries (Clinton and Edwards did) and Obama didn't go there.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper;2843568]Sorry. He is a talking head for Reid/Pelosi.[/QUOTE]

Keep hoping that. Maybe it'll make it true.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper;2843568]Sorry. He is a talking head for Reid/Pelosi.[/QUOTE]

I suspect he is going to have a very talented and not very left leaning cabinet around him that will be far less dogmatic than either Reid or Pelosi. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he keeps Gates in defense and we see Rubin at Treasury neither of whom are left wing lunatics.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2843567][B][U][COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="7"]Another lie[/SIZE][/COLOR][/U][/B] you swallowed whole in this post[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]A TV spot claims Obama once voted for a tax increase "on people making just $42,000 a year." [B][U][COLOR="darkred"][SIZE="7"]That's true[/SIZE][/COLOR][/U][/B] for a single taxpayer[/QUOTE]

So to prove it's a lie, you post ar article that says it's true?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2843532]With Obama as President, and an ultra-majority, why would they NOT do it?[/QUOTE]

Your list is highly dramatic, over exaggerated, and just flat out false in some cases. The reason he will NOT do it is because I believe his primary goal will be to unite the country as we move forward and progress, not divide it. He doesn't engage in the Bush/Rove politics we have become accustomed to the past 8 years.

Of course, this is just my opinion and only time will tell. I believe the conduct and manner of his campaign speaks volumes. He will listen to his opponents and compromise. We will become more united in the next few years, and almost everything you listed is a form of division.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2843498]Why do you say that? These are all things Obama nd/or Democrats have promiced during the course of the election cycle.
    [/QUOTE]

they never promoted most of those things. The issues you are listing are not part of the Democratic platform. They are part of a fictional fox news/newsmax style depiction of the Democratic Platform.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2843566]So you guarantee no talk of Raparation then Nuu? No talk of it at all in the next four years, eh?[/QUOTE]

I guaruntee no talk of reparations by President Obama in the next 4 years. or the next 40 years.

It's a terrible idea for a variety of reasons, an idea which Obama has never supported. Ever.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;2843577]Your list is highly dramatic, over exaggerated, and just flat out false in some cases. The reason he will NOT do it is because I believe his primary goal will be to unite the country as we move forward and progress, not divide it. He doesn't engage in the Bush/Rove politics we have become accustomed to the past 8 years.

Of course, this is just my opinion and only time will tell. I believe the conduct and manner of his campaign speaks volumes. He will listen to his opponents and compromise. We will become more united in the next few years, and almost everything you listed is a form of division.[/QUOTE]

We'll see soon enough.

So....if he's not doing anything on MY list, and he's "A Uniter, Not a Divider", what's YOUR list Para? Or will you just report Nuu's talking-points PR bit and do no actual thinking of your own and just assume everything Obama said is 100% accurate and nothign else will happen?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2843576]So to prove it's a lie, you post ar article that says it's true?[/QUOTE]

Your post said "everyone"" making $42k. The story says the bill would have applied a $15 tax hike to singletaxpayers, and no hike at all to families. So its not "everyone," as you claimed.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is important now is who Obama surrounds himself with. He needs to surround himself with the qualified people regardless of party lines. This is what helped make Reagan so successful.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Declaring that Obama is going to implement reparations = Warfish is a sore loser.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MachineGunFunk;2843595]Declaring that Obama is going to implement reparations = Warfish is a sore loser.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I am.

I am not happy where we've been the last eight years, and now I get to be unhappy where we're headed for the next eight.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2843448]So, now that the election is settled, and Obama is our President-Elect and beginning the process of setting up his transition and planning for his Democratic Majority in both House, and Senate, what change can we assume will be coming in his first term?

--Taxes will be raised (Obama claims only on ~$250-$150K and up. Many fear it will be $42K and up or worse). But taxes will be raised.

--Windfall Profit Tax on Oil Companies, removal of Oil Company Tax breaks. The price of Gasoline will rise.

--Massive increases in the funding of alternative energy. Govt. incentives to switch to alt. energy, penalties implemented to those who refuse to convert.

--Amnesty of the ~20 Million Illegal Aliens in the US today. The "penalty" is yet to be determined, but these illegals will be on some form of "path to citizenship" by the end of his first term.

--Withdrawal from the "illegal" War in Iraq. By the end of his first term, the U.S. will have no forces in Iraq Whatsoever.

--Escalation of the War in Afganistan. Most of the forces removed from Iraq will serve in Afganistan.

--Minimum of two new Supreme Court Justices will be Nominated and pass. They will not face anything similar to what Roberts and ailito did, and they will generally be viewed as strong and dedicated Liberals.

--Implementation of the Fairness Doctrine for Radio.

--Creation of the "Civil Defense Force" as well funded and equipped as the U.S. Army.

--Added Govt. Oversight over all aspects of Wall Street and the Banking/Mortgage/Securities Field, with many new and strengthened regulations put in place. Priority will remin on loaning to low-income families.

--Possible legislation to limit CEO/Executive Compensation packages.

--Exploration of Slavery Reparations. May be passed and paid by the end of term one.

--A Peace accord between the U.S. and Iran, that allows Iran to develop civil-use Nuclear Facilities in exchange for U.S. financial aid and an Iranian promice not to develop Weapons.

[B]Am I missing anything major?[/B][/QUOTE]

Uhh, only that if all that crap does happen there will be a republican revolution in 4 years..

Geez, you guys act like there going to destroy America but we'll just keep voting them in..

He was elected president, not divined king.
    Last edited by CTM; 11-05-2008 at 11:12 AM.