Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: President Obama and the Democratic Majority: The New Direction of America

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2843574]Keep hoping that. Maybe it'll make it true.[/QUOTE]

Hoping?:eek:

It's my worst nightmare.

I would love to think Obama will be a centrist. If he was he would be less liberal than Bush in many respects.

There is just ZERO evidence that he will be.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CTM;2843606]Uhh, only that if all that crap does happen their be a republican revolution in 4 years..

Geez, you guys act like there going to destroy America but we'll just keep voting them in..

He was elected president, not divined king.[/QUOTE]

And again, everything on this list has been promised or discussed either by Obama or by duly elected Democrat members of the House and/or Senate.

It's not my list. It's theirs.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2843601]Yes, I am.

I am not happy where we've been the last eight years, and now I get to be unhappy where we're headed for the next eight.[/QUOTE]

Since you are independent and not a party hack, why not wait to see if Obama actually does reach out to the other side, as he says he will, and wait to see if he actually focuses on big issues (economy, energy, health care) rather than trivial liberal nonsense like the Farness Doctrine that he is on record opposing.

Your cynicism may ultimately be vindicated, but seeing as you are not one of those GOP Team Player types who has to oppose Obama no matter what he does, why not wait a few months and see if he tries to do what he says he'll try to do?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2843601]Yes, I am.

I am not happy where we've been the last eight years, and now I get to be unhappy where we're headed for the next eight.[/QUOTE]

Wow, surprisingly honest.

Good for you.

But do yourself and keep an open mind. See what Obama and the Dems do first before you freak out.

As I'm sure you know, liberal Presidential nominees usually make centrist Executives.

All hope is not lost for you. And check out the gravity bong diagram I posted in the Mass decrim' thread. It should help.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;2843575]I suspect he is going to have a very talented and not very left leaning cabinet around him that will be far less dogmatic than either Reid or Pelosi. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he keeps Gates in defense and we see Rubin at Treasury neither of whom are left wing lunatics.[/QUOTE]

I can hope for it. I just have no reason to expect it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2843585]So....if he's not doing anything on MY list, and he's "A Uniter, Not a Divider", what's YOUR list Para? Or will you just report Nuu's talking-points PR bit and do no actual thinking of your own and just assume everything Obama said is 100% accurate and nothign else will happen?[/QUOTE]

I believe his #1 priority will be energy reformation. I agree with your oil company and alternative energy statements. He will use this reformation as a jump stater of our economy by creating jobs and making our country a producer once again.

After that, who knows...but I certainly don't buy your reparations, amnesty, nuclear Iran, subprime mortgages, and higher taxes statements.

The fairness doctrine is something I hope fails, and I don't recall him ever supporting it.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2843609]And again, everything on this list has been promised or discussed either by Obama or by duly elected Democrat members of the House and/or Senate.

It's not my list. It's theirs.[/QUOTE]

michele bachman was discussing mccarthyist probes and no liberals said that would become reality under a mccain administration. jesus christ.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2843613]Since you are independent and not a party hack, why not wait to see if Obama actually does reach out to the other side, as he says he will, and wait to see if he actually focuses on big issues (economy, energy, health care) rather than trivial liberal nonsense like the Farness Doctrine that he is on record opposing.

Your cynicism may ultimately be vindicated, but seeing as you are not one of those GOP Team Player types who has to oppose Obama no matter what he does, why not wait a few months and see if he tries to do what he says he'll try to do?[/QUOTE]

Because I do not trust Pelosi. Becuase I do not trust Reid. And because I have no reason to trust Obama.

When you explin to me why a party who just utterly crushed their opposition would suddenly walk away from many of the issues they support, after an almost 10+ Million Voter Victory mandate and an electoral college ass-whupping and an opposition party today as broken and fractured as Joe Theisman's Leg, then I'll be mellow.

Till then, I expect many policies to be implemented that I will strongly disagree with. Why you would expect me to be happy with that is.......

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;2843619]I believe his #1 priority will be energy reformation. I agree with your oil company and alternative energy statements. He will use this reformation as a jump stater of our economy by creating jobs and making our country a producer once again.

After that, who knows...but I certainly don't buy your reparations, amnesty, nuclear Iran, subprime mortgages, and higher taxes statements.

The fairness doctrine is something I hope fails, and I don't recall him ever supporting it.[/QUOTE]

He is on record opposing the fairness doctrine, as recently as June.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;2843619]I believe his #1 priority will be energy reformation. I agree with your oil company and alternative energy statements. He will use this reformation as a jump stater of our economy by creating jobs and making our country a producer once again.
    [/QUOTE]
    This is what I'm hoping as well..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2843609]And again, everything on this list has been promised or discussed either by Obama or by duly elected Democrat members of the House and/or Senate.

seriously warfish I don't believe that - there might be fringe activists who believe those things but trust me the list you posted is not even close to the Obama platform.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, the pessimism is all yours, so I ask again, if things are going to get so much worse, how do they stay in power?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2843631]He is on record opposing the fairness doctrine, as recently as June.[/QUOTE]

Which would make it a clear and easy litmus test if it is delivered to him by the Reid/Pelosi Congress, no?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2843636]seriously warfish I don't believe that - there might be fringe activists who believe those things but trust me the list you posted is not even close to the Obama platform.[/QUOTE]

So other than Reparations, what on my list is only supported by the "fringe" and not some prominant membr ofteh Dmeocrat Party?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper;2843638]Which would make it a clear and easy litmus test if it is delivered to him by the Reid/Pelosi Congress, no?[/QUOTE]

imo, Yes.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper;2843608]
    I would love to think Obama will be a centrist. If he was he would be less liberal than Bush in many respects.

There is just ZERO evidence that he will be.[/QUOTE]

there's alot of evidence, one just has to look for it.

Obama's entire career politically has been as a uniter not a divider.

the speech that put him on the map was about centrism.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2843625]Because I do not trust Pelosi. Becuase I do not trust Reid. And because I have no reason to trust Obama.

When you explin to me why a party who just utterly crushed their opposition would suddenly walk away from many of the issues they support, after an almost 10+ Million Voter Victory mandate and an electoral college ass-whupping and an opposition party today as broken and fractured as Joe Theisman's Leg, then I'll be mellow.

Till then, I expect many policies to be implemented that I will strongly disagree with. Why you would expect me to be happy with that is.......[/QUOTE]

All I can tell you is that these are not trivial times, and that Obama has laid out five very specific priorities, and he was elected on that platform. He knows as well as anyone --because he is a incredibly shrewd and pragmatic politician-- that voters will have little patience if he diverts from that agenda to install nonsense like the "fairness doctrine" (which he is on record opposing) and reparations for slavery, which would, frankly, be political suicide for a guy who has built his reputation as being the sort of black pol who does not engage in the politics of racial grievance a la Sharpton or Jackson.

He also knows very well how disastrous Bill Clinton's first hundred days were, largely because he spent them trying to get stuff like "gays in the military" passed instead of tending to the economy.

Obama is a liberal, but he is also a pragmatist.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CTM;2843637]Well, the pessimism is all yours, so I ask again, if things are going to get so much worse, how do they stay in power?[/QUOTE]

Why do you think they wouldn't? Very little on the list is a secret, they ran on much of these things.

And they wiped the piss out of the Right doing so.

I think many of them will feel they have a MANDATE to pass these things and more. mandates in Politics are rare. A 10+ Million voter ass-kicking rarer still.

I see no reason why they would not persue all the issues they wish to see happen now. The people, for now, are with them.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2843645]there's alot of evidence, one just has to look for it.

Obama's entire career politically has been as a uniter not a divider.

the speech that put him on the map was about centrism.[/QUOTE]

Evidence comes in votes or actions, not words.

Remember who used "uniter not a divider" first. Would you call that [B]evidence[/B] that Bush reached across the aisle?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2843640]So other than Reparations, what on my list is only supported by the "fringe" and not some prominant membr ofteh Dmeocrat Party?[/QUOTE]

i don't have time to go point by point but

-he's not going to withdraw ALL forces from iraq. there are permanent bases there.

-he's not going to make people switch to alt-energy, he might provide subsidies but not penalties or fines.

-CEO accountability (a long shot to happen at all) will be penal i.e. limit their compensation only when they are found participating in fraudulent practices or have to get bailed out. Not just limit for the sake of limit.

-windfall profits tax sounds good on the campaign, very hard to get passed in congress. I doubt he's going to fight that battle.

-everyone with a brain knows the fairness doctrine is a joke. non-starter

long story short: what you put out there in that first post is an extremist platform, Obama doesn't have that platform.