Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The African American Vote

The African American Vote

[QUOTE=CNN.com]Black Men (5% of Voters) 95% Obama 5% McCain
    Black Women (7% of Voters) 96% Obama 3% McCain 1% Other[/QUOTE]

I'm curious. Which policies or promises of Obama do you think resonated so deeply with African American Voters, that it won him an impressive 96% of all (regardless of party) voters in this block?

How could Republicans or any other Party "win over" the African American vote, to do better than this ~4%?

[QUOTE=Warfish;2843969]I'm curious. Which policies or promises of Obama do you think resonated so deeply with African American Voters, that it won him an impressive 96% of all (regardless of party) voters in this block?

How could Republicans or any other Party "win over" the African American vote, to do better than this ~4%?[/QUOTE]like i posted before,its affirmation.reformation.i don't think its any one policy or any policy at all.he's a brother who's president and that shows black people that they have come this far and won.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2843969]I'm curious. Which policies or promises of Obama do you think resonated so deeply with African American Voters, that it won him an impressive 96% of all (regardless of party) voters in this block?

How could Republicans or any other Party "win over" the African American vote, to do better than this ~4%?[/QUOTE]

yes and Gore won 90%, Obama out performed him by a whopping 6%

How could Republicans or any other Party "win over" the African American vote, to do better than this ~4%?[/QUOTE]

Kerry got 88% of the black vote, I would assume Clinton and Gore may have gotten an even larger number. Blacks favor the Democrats, I don't see how a Republican can ever do well with them. Latino's also heavily favored Obama, and have historically favored Democratic party. Being that Latino population has been growing by the millions each election.. the GOP is in big trouble if they don't make in grounds with these people. If it wasn't for McCain being the GOP nomineee, Obama probably would have swept Nevada, New Mexico, Colorado, and Arizona. The map has changed.

All League
    Obviously that percentage shows many voted based on race, but Blacks almost always vote heavily for Democrats. There are examples of Black Republicans getting the minority of the Black vote.

[QUOTE=CTM;2843980]yes and Gore won 90%, Obama out performed him by a whopping 6%[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]How could Republicans or any other Party "win over" the African American vote, to do better than this[/QUOTE]

I'm asking what the "right" can do to change a 90-97% to 3% defeat in this vital group every single election, policy wise?

[QUOTE=Tyler Durden;2843984]Kerry got 88% of the black vote, I would assume Clinton and Gore may have gotten an even larger number. Blacks favor the Democrats, I don't see how a Republican can ever do well with them. Latino's also heavily favored Obama, and have historically favored Democratic party. Being that Latino population has been growing by the millions each election.. the GOP is in big trouble if they don't make in grounds with these people. If it wasn't for McCain being the GOP nomineee, Obama probably would have swept Nevada, New Mexico, Colorado, and Arizona. The map has changed.[/QUOTE]

The Latino vote is what helped out Bush big time in 2004.

African Americans always vote overwhelmingly Democratic. The difference yesterday was that they turned out more heavily, up to 13% of the electorate from 11% in 2004, which is something like an 18% interest.

Curiously, the numbers are very, very similar to Kennedy's surge in Catholic support in 1960.

It's pride, not prejudice.

All League
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2843986]I'm asking what the "right" can do to change a 90-97% to 3% defeat in this vital group every single election, policy wise?[/QUOTE]

Actively recruit their vote. that would be a start

[QUOTE=nuu faaola;2843994]African Americans always vote overwhelmingly Democratic. The difference yesterday was that they turned out more heavily, up to 13% of the electorate from 11% in 2004, which is something like an 18% interest.

Curiously, the numbers are very, very similar to Kennedy's surge in Catholic support in 1960.

It's pride, not prejudice.[/QUOTE]

You tell me "they alwasy vote Democrat" as if I was unaware.

I'm not asking for somethign I already know. If it's an issue of POLICY, how then does the "right" win over African american voters, at least to improve on a 95% to 5% crushing every election.

If it's an issue of policy, what policy is is? How can teh right be conservative and win these voters? Or is the answer that African americans are, as a whole, simply Liberal and nothing Conservative will ever win them over?

[QUOTE=BRONX JET;2843995]Actively recruit their vote. that would be a start[/QUOTE]

How? Explain what you mean specificly.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2843986]I'm asking what the "right" can do to change a 90-97% to 3% defeat in this vital group every single election, policy wise?[/QUOTE]

They can try, for a change.

Obama spent a ton of time early in this election cycle reaching out to evangelical Christians, going to places like Saddleback Church and working with the likes of Sam Brownback on poverty issues.

I don't think he thought he could win evangelicals, but he probably thought that, by showing up, he might be able to win 25% of them instead of the 20% Kerry got.

[QUOTE=nuu faaola;2843999]They can try, for a change.

Obama spent a ton of time early in this election cycle reaching out to evangelical Christians, going to places like Saddleback Church and working with the likes of Sam Brownback on poverty issues.

I don't think he thought he could win evangelicals, but he probably thought that, by showing up, he might be able to win 25% of them instead of the 20% Kerry got.[/QUOTE]

So Republicans don't go into Black Neighborhoods enough? How else can they "try" and what policies can they promote?

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication

I think at this point it's not even anything that's based in reality... Uninformed people think the dems are for the little guy and the Repubs big business. It's like minimum wage, perception is that it's good for low income earners, when in reality it's not.

Education would have to be the key..

[QUOTE=Warfish;2843996]You tell me "they alwasy vote Democrat" as if I was unaware.

I'm not asking for somethign I already know. If it's an issue of POLICY, how then does the "right" win over African american voters, at least to improve on a 95% to 5% crushing every election.

If it's an issue of policy, what policy is is? How can teh right be conservative and win these voters? Or is the answer that African americans are, as a whole, simply Liberal and nothing Conservative will ever win them over?[/QUOTE]

Well, they need to reach out on urban issues, improving public schools, improving access to college. Those are all winning issues.

Might also help them to stop boosting causes like the flying of the confederate flag in southern states, and other reminders of the racial politics they used to turn the south solidly Republican during the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.

[QUOTE=pauliec;2843991]The Latino vote is what helped out Bush big time in 2004.[/QUOTE]

You're right, something changed, Latino's went for Obama 2-1. Obama hammered McCain in the South West. The fastest growing region in the US.

These are all states Bush won.

Colorado- 53%-36%
    Nevada- 55%-43%
    New Mexico- 57%-42%

Warfish the question you need to ask isn't how does the GOP court the black vote?

but rather, what has the GOP done for black people lately? How does the GOP platform address the concerns of Black people?

or Why would a black person want to vote for a party that discounts most of the areas they live in as fake America?

answer those questions and you will see why the picture is what it is.

[QUOTE=bitonti;2844008]Warfish the question you need to ask isn't how does the GOP court the black vote?

but rather, what has the GOP done for black people lately? How does the GOP platform address the concerns of Black people?

or Why would a black person want to vote for a party that discounts most of the areas they live in as fake America?

answer those questions and you will see why the picture is what it is.[/QUOTE]

So the Right is simply racist and doesn't care about representing A.A.'s then? That seems to be your claim.

With Minority populations rising far faster than Caucasions, perhaps this domination of democrats in both A.A. and Latino voting is indeed the end of the Rpeublican Party. 95% of A.A., almost 65% of Latino.

[QUOTE=bitonti;2844008]Warfish the question you need to ask isn't how does the GOP court the black vote?

answer those questions and you will see why the picture is what it is.[/QUOTE]

What has the Democratic Party done for black people lately?

Your "fake America" comment is a cop-out.

[QUOTE=CTM;2844003]

Education would have to be the key..[/QUOTE]

No High School (4%)
    Obama 63%
    McCain 35%

H.S. Graduate (20%)
    Obama 52%
    McCain 46%

Some College (31%)
    Obama 51%
    McCain 47%

College Graduate (28%)