Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The African American Vote

[QUOTE=pauliec;2844016]What has the Democratic Party done for black people lately?

Your "fake America" comment is a cop-out.[/QUOTE]

Make one of there own... President of the United States

:rolleyes:
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 11-05-2008 at 02:46 PM.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2844014]So the Right is simply racist and doesn't care about representing A.A.'s then? That seems to be your claim.

With Minority populations rising far faster than Caucasions, perhaps this domination of democrats in both A.A. and Latino voting is indeed the end of the Rpeublican Party. 95% of A.A., almost 65% of Latino.[/QUOTE]

look around the McCain phoenix 'victory' party last night I don't think there was a black face in the room.

you are deflecting the question. I didn't say they were racist. I said how do GOP address the concerns of Black people? Today? Yesterday? Tomorrow?

does the GOP even know or care What are the concerns of Black people?

Instead of asking how does the GOP fix it's AA problems you should ask how did we get here? Because the answers are very much intermingled.

oh and FWiW Bush playing country guitar while black 9th ward drowned didn't exactly endear himself to the black community. and when FEMA was all over the Iowa flooding, what is a black New Orleans citizen supposed to think?

In other words if you want a real honest answer to your question you have to look at the issues from a black person's perspective. And if the GOp can't do that then there is no real interest in gaining their vote.

[QUOTE=bitonti;2844031]
    you are deflecting the question. I didn't say they were racist. I said how do GOP address the concerns of Black people? Today? Yesterday? Tomorrow?[/quote]

Actually Bit....thats what I was asking. You've just re-asked it and truned it at me. If I knew, I wouldn't have asked the question.

[QUOTE=bitonti;2844031]does the GOP even know or care What are the concerns of Black people?[/quote]

I don;t know, so they?

[QUOTE=bitonti;2844031] Instead of asking how does the GOP fix it's AA problems you should ask how did we get here? Because the answers are very much intermingled. [/quote]

I don;t know, how did we get here?

[QUOTE=bitonti;2844031]oh and FWiW Bush playing country guitar while black 9th ward drowned didn't exactly endear himself to the black community. and when FEMA was all over the Iowa flooding, what is a black New Orleans citizen supposed to think?[/quote]

So Bush and FEMA don't care if Blacks drown, only Iowans. That would be bad for winning votes, I agree.

[QUOTE=bitonti;2844031]In other words if you want a real honest answer to your question you have to look at the issues from a black person's perspective. And if the GOp can't do that then there is no real interest in gaining their vote.[/QUOTE]

I'm white and don't have a "black perspective" myself, so hence I am asking.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;2844021]No High School (4%)
    Obama 63%
    McCain 35%

H.S. Graduate (20%)
    Obama 52%
    McCain 46%

Some College (31%)
    Obama 51%
    McCain 47%

College Graduate (28%)
    Obama 49%
    McCain 48%

Postgraduate (17%)
    Obama 58%
    McCain 40%[/QUOTE]

please..

That isn't what I was implying and what you posted isn't relevant anyway..

[QUOTE=Warfish;2844037]
    I'm white and don't have a "black perspective" myself, so hence I am asking.[/QUOTE]

well that's my point this is basically the GOP's problem in a nutshell. They have no black perspective. and I'd bet you have more black perspective than the GOP.

how to fix it? they need to get some. And not fake perspective like Condi Rice.

for starters - I'm not black but as someone who lives inside of a city I don't feel like the GOP cares about the city. They starve local municipalities and rebuild in Iraq. But the Septa Bus is still overcrowded, the trains are a farce compared to Europe - infrastructure is basically crumbling.

or how about all this war on terror stuff - but people in NYC vote Democratic in droves? Why shouldn't they be scared of the next 9-11? it was the people of ny who died but they aren't scared - no it's people in red states buying gas masks and duct tape who believe terrorists are coming after them in their small town and the only way to deal with it is endless war. that culture of fear doesn't speak to a city dweller. living in a city is dangerous, there's no room for paranoia, no one would get anything done.

or how about these bancrupcy bills that makes it easier for credit companies to go after every last red cent out of people in debt. Do we think that hurts or helps people?

or how about tax cuts for the rich or estate tax repeal - how does that help AA?

If GOP took care of the cities or the people inside of them it would have half a chance with AA. but it would rather build bridges to nowhere. Basically long story short I don't think AA feel GOp cares about them. And there's not alot of evidence to fight that perception.
    Last edited by bitonti; 11-05-2008 at 02:41 PM.

[QUOTE=bitonti;2844057]well that's my point this is basically the GOP's problem in a nutshell. They have no black perspective. and I'd bet you have more black perspective than the GOP.

how to fix it? they need to get some. And not fake perspective like Condi Rice.

for starters - I'm not black but as someone who lives inside of a city I don't feel like the GOP cares about the city. They starve local municipalities and rebuild in Iraq. But the Septa Bus is still overcrowded, the trains are a farce compared to Europe - infrastructure is basically crumbling.

or how about all this war on terror stuff - but people in NYC vote Democratic in droves? Why shouldn't they be scared of the next 9-11? it was the people of ny who died but they aren't scared - no it's people in red states buying gas masks and duct tape who believe terrorists are coming after them in their small town and the only way to deal with it is endless war. that culture of fear doesn't speak to a city dweller. living in a city is dangerous, there's no room for paranoia, no one would get anything done.

or how about these bancrupcy bills that makes it easier for credit companies to go after every last red cent out of people in debt. Do we think that hurts or helps people?

or how about tax cuts for the rich or estate tax repeal - how does that help AA?

If GOP took care of the cities or the people inside of them it would have half a chance with AA. but it would rather build bridges to nowhere. Basically long story short I don't think AA feel GOp cares about them. And there's not alot of evidence to fight that perception.[/QUOTE]

Probably would also be a good idea to stop saying cities aren't part of "Real America," too.

Actually this is a great topic that Fish is leading towards.

Bottom line is the minority populations (Latino, Black..etc.) hold more influence than they ever have and are only going to continuously get more involved with the way current trends have shown. Throw in the growing populations and the fact that now, more than ever, Blacks and Latinos are getting advanced educations at an ever-increasing rate, and conservatives must find a way to appeal to their values and their socio-economic goals as well. They can't just discount them as the GOP has done in previous elections anymore, and yesterday was concrete proof of that. The GOP has done nothing to show they value the black vote since I've been alive.

And I don't think it's a product of any sort of racism whatsoever, I just think that they didn't consider them influential enough on a national level to make enough of a difference. Such is not the case anymore.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=nuu faaola;2843994]

It's pride, not prejudice.[/QUOTE]

Yeah.

Sure it is.

You and the liberal media are in lock-step.

(when white voters get the same exemption without lib hand-wringing, get back to me, lol)

[QUOTE=32green;2844083]Yeah.

Sure it is.

You and the liberal media are in lock-step.

(when white voters get the same exemption without lib hand-wringing, get back to me, lol)[/QUOTE]

Catholics did in 1960 for Kennedy.

They voted 51-49 Democrat in 1956 for Stevenson over Eisenhower. In 1960, they went 83-17 for Kennedy. That's an exponentially bigger shift in voting preferences than what Obama got. (Blacks voted more than 80% for Kerry in 2004.)

That "back to you" fast enough.

LOL.
    Last edited by nuu faaola; 11-05-2008 at 03:00 PM.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2843986]I'm asking what the "right" can do to change a 90-97% to 3% defeat in this vital group every single election, policy wise?[/QUOTE]

IMO, Obama winning may help in this regard simply because african americans may become more engaged in the issues of the day because of an Obama presidency and begin to decide that maybe they prefer certain conservative policies. In reality as a population, african americans are, for the most part, socially conservative. I've often wondered why the republican party, which seems to put such great stock in the "religious right", has been unable to cultivate a following among the "relligous minority".

As an aside, I'm curious what effect the Obama ascendancy will have on peoples views of the ongoing necessity of affirmative action based on minority status. I've always believed "affirmative action" type policies should be limited to financial considerations and only be utilized to help the poor (regardless of color) advance in our society.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    [QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2844075]Actually this is a great topic that Fish is leading towards.

Bottom line is the minority populations (Latino, Black..etc.) hold more influence than they ever have and are only going to continuously get more involved with the way current trends have shown. Throw in the growing populations and the fact that now, more than ever, Blacks and Latinos are getting advanced educations at an ever-increasing rate, and conservatives must find a way to appeal to their values and their socio-economic goals as well. They can't just discount them as the GOP has done in previous elections anymore, and yesterday was concrete proof of that. The GOP has done nothing to show they value the black vote since I've been alive.

And I don't think it's a product of any sort of racism whatsoever, I just think that they didn't consider them influential enough on a national level to make enough of a difference. Such is not the case anymore.[/QUOTE]

Good topic.

Large businesses are also figuring out how to work in this new environment.

The country is changing fast....

[QUOTE=Warfish;2843986]I'm asking what the "right" can do to change a 90-97% to 3% defeat in this vital group every single election, policy wise?[/QUOTE]

Deliver on economic opportunity creating a real stake in our society by the growing legions of middle class blacks and Hispanics. When you allow the financial instruments to crumble on your watch and kill the small but growing minority middle class you tend to lose any good faith you may have built up in the past.

The demographics are changing and as we learned in this election its all about the economy.

[quote=Warfish;2843996]You tell me "they alwasy vote Democrat" as if I was unaware.

I'm not asking for somethign I already know. If it's an issue of POLICY, how then does the "right" win over African american voters, at least to improve on a 95% to 5% crushing every election.

If it's an issue of policy, what policy is is? How can teh right be conservative and win these voters? Or is the answer that African americans are, as a whole, simply Liberal and nothing Conservative will ever win them over?[/quote]

Obviously, by adopting the policies of the democrats.

Seriously, though, a few places to start:

1) Affirmative action

and 2) Urban development

If Republicans want to attract more black voters, they need to run on the premise of increasing taxes and increasing entitlements. Having a black candidate would help too.

Veteran
    Repercussions? lol

what they repubs can do.

They can appoint a black Supreme court justice, 2 black secretary of states, a black secretary of education...
    Oh wait they already did all that.
    Now will hear how those people are "not really black" (but Obama is) despite the fact that they grew up without any privileges and actually earned their positions. And there in lies the rub... the democrats have been running a "vote plantation". They convince minorities that they are the only ones on their side, that they need to rely on government assistance in obtaining jobs, education, etc. That the government will somehow make up for centuries of discrimination, and the NEED to rely on it. They throw a little money their way, not enough to actually help them, but enough to keep them dependent.
    And the ones that actually make it on their own and succeed and take responsibility for themselves are branded "Uncle Toms", like someone's comment about Condi Rice "not really being black."
    The Republicans believe that the government should not stand in the way of the individual, while the Dems have convinced the minorities that the government will pave the way for them and make it easy. So the ideological divide is so wide that no matter who the republicans nominate, the blacks will still vote democratic. If Obama was running on republican ticket, there is no doubt in my mind he would have been LAbeled "not really black".

they can promise to pay reparations (citation needed)

Veteran
    Tax incentives for minority run businesses or businesses meeting certain minority benchmarks. Local Repubs can reduce local taxes on businesses in minority areas to encourage business growth in those areas.
    Coming from the right you have to continue think trickle down.

I think the problem is that for the most part, what many in the black community think are vital to the survival and growth of the inner city the Republicans are seemingly against. (welfare/social programs/etc).

I think the Republicans have to stop using the language and rhetoric that most conservatives use which basically gives the impression that they think people who are on welfare are lazy and criminal.

Don't believe me, look at Michele Malkin's column in the Post today...Peggy the Moocher is the happiest person in America today.

Yeesh...how do you expect to win over a group when you constantly make it seems as though you think that group is lazy?

The conservatives use language like "we believe in individual responsibility, not handouts" alienates most minorities, because right or wrong it is perceived as an attack on minorities.

The Republicans have to change the way they discuss these social programs, and not necessarily their goals.

They need to stress reforming welfare not eliminating it. They need to talk about equality and not reverse racism.

The entire language they use is combative when dealing with African-Americans whether intentional or not.

What is the saying, you attract more bees with honey?

As long as conservatives make welfare sound like a crime, make AA sound like injustice, they will be at odds with the Black community.

I think you can limit and even abolish social programs if you cease to sound as if you are at war with those who benefit from those same programs.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2844014]So the Right is simply racist and doesn't care about representing A.A.'s then?[/QUOTE]

The so called "base" is.