Thread: Rahm "Rahmbo" Emanuel article from April

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Rahm "Rahmbo" Emanuel article from April

The first time I really heard of Emanuel was while reading a Newsweek article this past April during a flight to Hong Kong. Looks like he will be the next Chief of Staff (not confirmed as far as I know) and this article, from [I]well before[/I] Obama was even nominated, gives some good insight into this guy. Tough SOB.

[IMG]http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/09KIgVU7T9fKh/610x.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE]Rahm Emanuel has been described as a street fighter with a killer instinct—as explosive, profane, wired and ruthless—sometimes as a compliment, sometimes not. But no one has ever cast him in the role of elder statesman, at least up until now. Emanuel, a 48-year-old congressman who grew up, somewhat weirdly, to study ballet and practice Chicagopolitics, has generally adapted to his situation in a combative, not diplomatic, manner. As an indifferent high-school student, he badly cut his finger on the beef-slicing machine at Arby's. That night, after his high-school prom, he jumped into Lake Michigan. The tip of his finger became infected and he nearly died. Ever since, Emanuel has relished raising his hacked-off middle figure at his foes. In conversation with almost anyone about anything, Emanuel uses the F word like a sergeant in a World War II motor pool.

(continued...)[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.newsweek.com/id/130605[/url]
    Last edited by jetstream23; 11-05-2008 at 05:58 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rahm is one tough SOB, and no shrinking violet, that;s for sure. If he's the boss, the f'ing trans will run on time in that White House.

That said, while he is partisan in general terms, he is not an ideologue. He played a central role in getting the Dem powers that be to lose "litmus tests" like abortion when picking candidates to run in conservative districts. He has broadened the Democratic party significantly with people like Heath Shuler.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I posted this in another thread, but it is worth repeating.;)

Story of him stabbing knife into table while yelling "Dead man" a bit concerning, not indicative of a "unifier".

Also, I don't think Chief of Staff needs to be confirmed.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2844422]I posted this in another thread, but it is worth repeating.;)

Story of him stabbing knife into table while yelling "Dead man" a bit concerning, not indicative of a "unifier".

Also, I don't think Chief of Staff needs to be confirmed.[/QUOTE]

Correct. It's not a cabinet post.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2844422]I posted this in another thread, but it is worth repeating.;)

[B]Also, I don't think Chief of Staff needs to be confirmed[/B].[/QUOTE]

I meant Emanuel has not confirmed that he has been offered or accepted the job yet, although people close to him say he has gotten the offer. You are correct, no Confirmation needed.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Emanuel is one of those spineless Democrats who skirts the war issue by badmouthing the Iraq war while still voting to give Bush a blank check for his military budget.
    Like Pelosi, he is an elitist to the core.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2844421]Rahm is one tough SOB, and no shrinking violet, that;s for sure. If he's the boss, the f'ing trans will run on time in that White House.

That said, while he is partisan in general terms, he is not an ideologue. He played a central role in getting the Dem powers that be to lose "litmus tests" like abortion when picking candidates to run in conservative districts. He has broadened the Democratic party significantly with people like Heath Shuler.[/QUOTE]

he recruited all the blue dog dems in 2006

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, I don't think Chief of Staff needs to be confirmed.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I see him as more of a "get it done" kind of guy than anything else. He is center left in his own views but if Obama tabs him as COS, he will make Obama's goals his goals, and I pity any pol that gets in the way. Clearly, he would, without a second thought, end the career (or attempt to) of any dem pol he felt was not toeing the line for the whitehouse.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;2844437]he recruited all the blue dog dems in 2006[/QUOTE]

Yup.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=HDCentStOhio;2844422]I posted this in another thread, but it is worth repeating.;)
    [B]
    Story of him stabbing knife into table while yelling "Dead man" a bit concerning, not indicative of a "unifier".[/B]

Also, I don't think Chief of Staff needs to be confirmed.[/quote]

HD, it's a quote from Animal House:

[quote] Bluto: What the f*ck happened to the Delta I used to know? Where’s the spirit? Where’s the guts?! This could be the best day of our lives, but you’re gonna make it the worst. (Mockingly) Oh, we’re afraid to go with you, Bluto, we might get in trouble. [B]Well then just kiss my ass from now on! Not me, I’m not gonna take this! Wormer, he’s a dead man! Marmalade, dead! NEIDERMYER…[/B]

Otter: Dead! Bluto’s right. Psychotic, but absolutely right. We’ve gotta take these bastards. I think this situation absolutely requires a very stupid and futile gesture on somebody’s part.[/quote]Pretty damn funny, if you ask me.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;2844844]HD, it's a quote from Animal House:

Pretty damn funny, if you ask me.[/QUOTE]

Funny, yes, but from a tough Chicago politician already missing finger it can easily be misinterpreted. ;)