Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposition 8 Passes

Proposition 8 Passes

[QUOTE](CNN) -- The Los Angeles County Registrar's Office stopped issuing same-sex marriage licenses after the apparent passage of a ballot measure to eliminate the right of gay couples to marry, the agency said Wednesday.

Voters in California, Arizona and Florida weighed in on constitutional bans on same-sex marriage.

[B]As of 11:30 p.m. ET, 52 percent of voters had approved California's Proposition 8, with 99 percent of precincts reporting.[/B]

[B]"This is a great day for marriage," Ron Prentice, chairman of ProtectMarriage.com, said in a statement. "The people of California stood up for traditional marriage and reclaimed this great institution."[/B]

The amendment to the state constitution overrides a state Supreme Court ruling in May that legalized same-sex marriage. iReport.com: Share your thoughts on same-sex marriage

The decision to suspend the marriage licenses was based on the Secretary of State's semi-official canvass results from Election Night and a California State Constitutional provision that says a proposed amendment "shall be submitted to the electors and if approved by a majority of votes thereon takes effect the day after the election," Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk Dean Logan said in a news release.

The agency said it would act accordingly if it is directed to reverse course or take further action in the future.

Thousands of demonstrators took to the streets of Los Angeles Wednesday to vent their disappointment at the apparent passage of a ballot initiative to ban gay and lesbian marriages.

The demonstrators peacefully rallied in West Hollywood, holding placards and waving gay pride flags. Elsewhere, hundreds of protesters staged a half-hour sit-in outside CNN's Los Angeles bureau on Sunset Boulevard. The demonstrators chanted slogans and banged on the building's glass doors but then dispersed without incident.

Talk show host Ellen DeGeneres said she is "saddened beyond belief" over the proposed amendment. iReport.com: Historic day was 'bittersweet'

DeGeneres, who wed actress Portia de Rossi in August, said in a statement Wednesday to The Associated Press that she, "like millions of Americans, felt like we had taken a giant step toward equality" by electing Barack Obama as president.

[B]The measure was one of three stunning blows to supporters of same-sex unions in Tuesday's election, after voters in Arizona and Florida also approved constitutional amendments recognizing marriage only as a union between one man and one woman.

In Arizona, where a similar measure failed in 2006, Proposition 102 passed with 56 percent of the vote. Florida voters approved that state's amendment, 62 percent to 38 percent.[/B]

Arizona, California and Florida were the only states to weigh constitutional amendments banning same-sex unions this year, down from 11 states in the 2004 election.[/QUOTE]

Big win for those who believe in traditional marriage. Since I believe most cases of homosexuality are innate and not by choice, I don't think this is fair. Thoughts from others?

[QUOTE=Crease29;2844956]Big win for those who believe in traditional marriage. Since I believe most cases of homosexuality are innate and not by choice, I don't think this is fair. Thoughts from others?[/QUOTE]

I agree with your biological theory. Why can't everyone be happy if we just call it a "civil union" or something else (just not marriage) and give it all the same rights as a marriage? Wouldn't this satisfy most of the people, or is the term "marriage" a deal breaker.

and more importantly, how does this effect Goerge Takai's recent nuptials?

Here in Mass we welcome all the gays and we can can all smoke pot! But we can't got to dog races.

Jets Insider VIP
    I believe its a genetic defect. Marriage should be restricted to a man and woman, but am ok with civil unions.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;2844960]and more importantly, how does this effect Goerge Takai's recent nuptials?[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure he still got Beamed Up.

Who gives a rat's azz if they want to call it marriage. No one cares about marriage, well until they get divorced.

My take:

There shouldn't be any government acknowledgement of "marriage." It's a religious term and ought to be left to religions to decide.

Any couple --straight or gay-- ought to be able to get a "civil union" license.

BTW, if you look at the exits re: Prop 8, you will see that this is only a fleeting victory for the people who backed it. Nobody under 50 voted for the thing.

Opposition to gay "marriage" or whatever you want to call it will literally die out in time.

[QUOTE=nuu faaola;2845118]
    Opposition to gay "marriage" or whatever you want to call it will literally die out in time.[/QUOTE]

x2

I think it'll take perhaps another generation, and by the time I'm in my 40's or 50's (20-30 years from now), it'll be legal in several states.

It is harsh nuu, but it's just going to take a lot of elder folk dying off for gay marriage to be viewed as it should.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2845118]My take:

There shouldn't be any government acknowledgement of "marriage." It's a religious term and ought to be left to religions to decide.

BTW, if you look at the exits re: Prop 8, you will see that this is only a fleeting victory for the people who backed it. Nobody under 50 voted for the thing.

Opposition to gay "marriage" or whatever you want to call it will literally die out in time.[/QUOTE]

+1

Its all semantics. I don't know why some people are so uptight about the use of the word marriage. If you're straight and believe marriage is a religious event, then that's fine and great for you. But why the hell do you care about a gay couple that you don't even know? It has absolutely no impact on your life whatsoever.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Phoenixx;2845079]Pretty sure he still got Beamed Up.[/QUOTE]

At first I thought I read that this would invalidate marriages that took place after the legalization in June. But then I heard Rachel Maddow (who I'm sure would know) say that all such marriages would remain valid. :confused:

I agree..the Gov't should only recognize everyone as having a civil union and not categorize it as marriage. Marriage is a church thing..leave it to the churchies....

Veteran
    I voted NO, I couldn't care less who gets married, seems to me most people that are married are miserable. Be careful what you wish for.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Guido Monzino;2845158]+1

Its all semantics. I don't know why some people are so uptight about the use of the word marriage. If you're straight and believe marriage is a religious event, then that's fine and great for you. But why the hell do you care about a gay couple that you don't even know? It has absolutely no impact on your life whatsoever.[/QUOTE]

As long as there is a civil union option that will offer the same exact benefits to same sex couples that marriage does, then I personally don't have a huge problem. I understand that its the principle of the matter for those directly impacted, but I'm more concerned that someone isn't entitled to health benefits or visitation rights of their long term partner, than just a label.

Not opposed to what Nuu suggested - it will never happen, but that seems like a perfect solution for everyone.

[/QUOTE]

I've never agreed with you more.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

it is beyond me how people that are so supposedly enlightened - and laid back (californians) - can support such nonsense. who the hell cares? if marriage is a religious issue, doesn't each religion have 'punishments' in place for breaking the rules? shouldn't that be the settlement? why would you even want legislation interfering with your beliefs? if you asked me, you're opening a door that you don't want open there.

Worst case scenario. Fiscal Libs won all over the palce, social conservatives continue to waste time crushing gays.

I favor Civil Unions, with exact same rights/responsibillities as Marriage, but with a idfferent name to denote the different arangement of man + man rather than man + women.

No wonder Repubs keep losing, the faith-based side is killing them with these kinds of unimportant (to be against) issues.

[QUOTE=isired;2845231]it is beyond me how people that are so supposedly enlightened - and laid back (californians) - can support such nonsense. who the hell cares? if [B]marriage is a religious issue[/B], doesn't each religion have 'punishments' in place for breaking the rules? shouldn't that be the settlement? why would you even want legislation interfering with your beliefs? if you asked me, you're opening a door that you don't want open there.[/QUOTE]

To me, marriage originates as a religious institution, and as such, under a strict interpretation of separation of church and state should be up to the individual religions to decide. The government should only be issuing civil union licenses to everyone. If the government only issues civil union licenses then everyone is being treated equally under the law.

If your religion doesn't support your marriage then break off from that religion. You certainly wouldn't be the first group to do so and you obviously don't agree with the beliefs of that religion anyways.

Yes this is largely a semantics issue but most arguments invloving the interpretations of laws ultimately are.

I never understood the argument that gay marriage undermines hetero-marriage. Can someone explain how a gay couple's marriage in San Francisco has any bearing on my my marriage?

If the opposition just wants to prevent gay marriages, then they should just say so.

For a long time I was where most of you are -- Civil Unions with same rights as marriage. However, I have been persuaded that the law must simply treat both gays & straights equally in regard to marriage. There are two related reasons: 1) I can assure you that gays insist that a differently named/ substantively equal Civil Union is not adequate and 2) If we are to provide equal protection under the laws, I don't see how you can not offer marriage to gays without implying that they have some kind of inferior status.

Now this does not mean, in any way, that any Church has to perform or recognize these marriages.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    [QUOTE=isired;2845231][B]it is beyond me how people that are so supposedly enlightened - and laid back (californians) - can support such nonsense[/B]. who the hell cares? if marriage is a religious issue, doesn't each religion have 'punishments' in place for breaking the rules? shouldn't that be the settlement? why would you even want legislation interfering with your beliefs? if you asked me, you're opening a door that you don't want open there.[/QUOTE]

What I found curious, was the passing of prop 8, which makes gay marraige illegal passed, but another bill that would have required parental notification when a minor has an abortion did NOT pass. Just doesnt seem to jive with one another imo.

Rock the vote!!!!(Revis to the pro-bowl)!!:)