Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Proposition 8 Passes

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=adb280z;2846428]Why would someone purposely choose a lifestyle that has been discriminated against throughout history?[/QUOTE]

Someone's obviously never had their salad tossed.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2846437]Someone's obviously never had their salad tossed.[/QUOTE]

Then that someone has never truly lived.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    re: homosexuals making a "choice" or not - isn't the fundamental issue here one of attraction? do we control what attracts us to other people, to what extent, and for what cause? most of us have a 'type' of woman that we're attracted to (see the "hotties" forum for proof of this - the vida guerra fans are generally not attracted to keira knightley, and vice versa...). was this a choice as well? and if not, how easy would it be to disregard it and force yourself to be attracted to the opposite extreme?

and if they made a "choice" to be gay, did we all (those of us that are hetero) make a choice? i know i sure didn't. did you who claim this was a choice, at some point in your life, find yourself sexually attracted to both sexes, and [I]choose[/I] to live your life feeding the attraction to the opposite sex and shunning the attraction to the same sex?

IMO, unless you can answer YES to that last question, you don't really believe what you claim to.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=isired;2845231]it is beyond me how people that are so supposedly enlightened - and laid back (californians) - can support such nonsense. who the hell cares? if marriage is a religious issue, doesn't each religion have 'punishments' in place for breaking the rules? shouldn't that be the settlement? why would you even want legislation interfering with your beliefs? if you asked me, you're opening a door that you don't want open there.[/QUOTE]

For all of you guys...two things apparently caused a groundswwell of support FOR the ban:

1) SF Mayor Gavin Newsom's poorly thought out sound bite "...(gay marriage) is here! [I]Whether you LIKE IT OR NOT...IT"S COMING!"[/I]..." They kept playing that "Whether you like or not" sound bite at every chance. Newsom sounded shrill and came off as really arrogant

2) Commercials that showed 2nd graders being taught about 2-mommy marriages in school (:rolleyes::rolleyes:)...really effective for the ban-supporters

jmo

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;2846927]For all of you guys...two things apparently caused a groundswwell of support FOR the ban:

1) SF Mayor Gavin Newsom's poorly thought out sound bite "...(gay marriage) is here! [I]Whether you LIKE IT OR NOT...IT"S COMING!"[/I]..." They kept playing that "Whether you like or not" sound bite at every chance. Newsom sounded shrill and came off as really arrogant

[/QUOTE]

Mayor Patrick Bateman strikes again...

[IMG]http://nycblog.citysearch.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/11/08/patrick_bateman.jpg[/IMG]

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whether you like it or not!

[IMG]http://www.tagbanger.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/americanpsycho.jpg[/IMG]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetFanTransplant;2845342]
    2. Gay marriage is a first step on a slippery slope. Claims are being made that once gay marriage is approved, this will lend itself to individuals (by virtue or by pushing the limits) to attempt to prove marriage outside the species is a right as well.
    [/QUOTE]

I was in class today ignoring my professor thinking about this slippery slope issue, can't one just argue banning gay marriages is a slippery slope to banning other type of marriages, say.. interracial marriages. These ridiculous slipper slope arguments can go both ways..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2845677]So, government shouldn't get involved in marriage, but they should in communication?[/QUOTE]

Dude, the government defines marriage in the law, that's the entire problem. Since the government establishes what a marriage is,when it comes into being and what rights & responsibilities it confers on the couple, AND it is bound to provide equal protection under the law... how can they legitimately deny them to gays?

Religions only perform the solemnization of marriages -- and they could continue to refuse to perform these ceremonies until the cows come home. That's separation of church and state.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2846934]Whether you like it or not!

[IMG]http://www.tagbanger.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/americanpsycho.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

LOL

American Gay Psycho

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=WestCoastOffensive;2846927]For all of you guys...two things apparently caused a groundswwell of support FOR the ban:

2) Commercials that showed 2nd graders being taught about 2-mommy marriages in school (:rolleyes::rolleyes:)...really effective for the ban-supporters

jmo[/quote]thanks, it's good to get some unfiltered info. doesn't sound like a great strategy there, Gavin. just goes to show you, there are dummies on every side.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=mallamalla;2845716]I find it simply amazing that 74% of African Americans, the same people who cry racism at any opportunity and the same people who claim that bigotry and hate are the reasons for their current status, voted in support of this amendment. This at a time when nearly 100% of gays voted for a black president. Classic example of the "oppressed" becoming the oppressor.

I also find it disturbing that in this economy 74 million dollars was raised in supporting/turning down this amendment.[/QUOTE]

So you're of the opinion that people are BORN gay?