Thread: Chris Mathews on Scarborough on the Job of Journalists

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Chris Mathews on Scarborough on the Job of Journalists

[QUOTE=Mathews on Scarborough]CM "The worst thing you can do in journalism is try to figure out motive. There's no way to determine it," Matthews said.

And later on......

CM: I want to do everything I can to make this thing work this new presidency work.

JS: Is that your job?

CM: Yeah that's my job.

JS: Your job as a journalist is to make this presidency work?

CM: To make this work successfully, because this country needs a successful presidency more than anything right now.

CM: How can you not root for the success of the new president?[/QUOTE]

Thoughts?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2845903]Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

He's just way, way, way off, as far off as he could imaginably be.

Now Scarborough's umbrage would be more genuine if he hadn't gone on stage to support Dubya at the 2004 GOP convention, but he happens to be right in this instance.

I happen to like both men as talented broadcasters, but neither resembles anything like a journalist at this point.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Matthews is completely, totally, unequivocally full of ****. I don't think there is one real "journalist" on MSNBC anymore.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2845903]Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I think Chris Matthews is hoping for more leg furrowing..

He's a clown..

Rooting for success as an american is one thing but this exchange is shameful:

[QUOTE]CM: I want to do everything I can to make this thing work this new presidency work.

JS: Is that your job?

CM: Yeah that's my job.[/QUOTE]

what is he propaganda minister?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2845912]He's just way, way, way off, as far off as he could imaginably be.

Now Scarborough's umbrage would be more genuine if he hadn't gone on stage to support Dubya at the 2004 GOP convention, but he happens to be right in this instance.

I happen to like both men as talented broadcasters, but neither resembles anything like a journalist at this point.[/QUOTE]

I know it's difficult in this day and age, but is Scarborough a "journalist" or is he a Opinion-based Editorial-type? I honestly don;t know what he claim (or is paid) to be. Personally, I always thought he was Hannity-lite and an Opinion guy.

Whereas Mathews is, to the best of my knowledge, a Journalist.

You tell me, I don;t kow.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2845925]I know it's difficult in this day and age, but is Scarborough a "journalist" or is he a Opinion-based Editorial-type? I honestly don;t know what he claim (or is paid) to be. Personally, I always thought he was Hannity-lite and an Opinion guy.

Whereas Mathews is, to the best of my knowledge, a Journalist.

You tell me, I don;t kow.[/QUOTE]

They are both opinionated talking heads, basically.

Scarborough was a GOP Congressman. Matthews was a Dem staffer who reportedly has ambitions to run for the Senate. And they pretty much wear those biases on their sleeves.

The problem with MSNBC is that they have no non-talking heads to anchor, so everything is opinion driven. The only "journalists" in that outfit are the actual reporters (like Andrea Mitchell and David Gregory) and Chuck Todd, who is basically a number cruncher.

It's a bad format for news.

I will say that both Scarborough and Matthews are talented broadcasters who know A LOT about politics, and I do watch and enjoy both "Morning Joe" and "Hardball" with some frequency. But I realize neither show is particularly objective.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mathews has lost his mind over the past few years.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2845945]They are both opinionated talking heads, basically.

Scarborough was a GOP Congressman. Matthews was a Dem staffer who reportedly has ambitions to run for the Senate. And they pretty much wear those biases on their sleeves.

The problem with MSNBC is that they have no non-talking heads to anchor, so everything is opinion driven. The only "journalists" in that outfit are the actual reporters (like Andrea Mitchell and David Gregory) and Chuck Todd, who is basically a number cruncher.

It's a bad format for news.

I will say that both Scarborough and Matthews are talented broadcasters who know A LOT about politics, and I do watch and enjoy both "Morning Joe" and "Hardball" with some frequency. But I realize neither show is particularly objective.[/QUOTE]

I think that is a very fair answer.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;2845948]Mathews has lost his mind over the past few years.[/QUOTE]

+ 1

I used to like him. If he wants to help the Presidency he should have applied for Press Secretary. It's not his job to make the Presidency work by spinning stories under the guise of journalism.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2845957]+ 1

I used to like him. If he wants to help the Presidency he should have applied for Press Secretary. It's not his job to make the Presidency work by spinning stories under the guise of journalism.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, there was a point where I liked him as well. I'm not really sure what happened to him, but he has been an absolute joke the past few years.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can he admit he helped make this Presidency happen with his biased reporting?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2845962]Can he admit he helped make this Presidency happen with his biased reporting?[/QUOTE]

I think you're giving him too much credit. MSNBC, like Fox News, preaches to the converted.