Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: here's more: Govt mandated free labor, otherwise known as slavery

here's more: Govt mandated free labor, otherwise known as slavery

[url]http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/2008/11/change-obama-announces-creation-of-his.html[/url]

we use to have this in the USSR, 1 saturday a month, called Subotnik. Everyone had to go. People hated it, and looked how it worked out....

[quote=dermlord;2846649][URL]http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/2008/11/change-obama-announces-creation-of-his.html[/URL]

we use to have this in the USSR, 1 saturday a month, called Subotnik. Everyone had to go. People hated it, and looked how it worked out....[/quote]

50 hours of community service as a requirement for a HS diploma actually sounds like a great idea to me. College? Not so much.

[QUOTE=doggin94it;2846654]50 hours of community service as a requirement for a HS diploma actually sounds like a great idea to me. College? Not so much.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't the service time for college students result in a $4,000 tuition credit though?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I actually think that is a good idea, it teaches social responsibility and helps kids become more mature. My son's high school has a Christian Service requirement for all four years that gradually becomes more intense as the boys move on in years. It is my opinion that it helps make them men and see no problem with it being encouraged for all young people.

[QUOTE=doggin94it;2846654]50 hours of community service as a requirement for a HS diploma actually sounds like a great idea to me. College? Not so much.[/QUOTE]

I had to do it as a requirement to graduate from my Catholic high school. I had no problem with it, and accepted it as a part learning the whole "Christian service" aspect.

However, I really don't agree with a federal mandate. In fact, I really, [B]really [/B]disagree with it. Big time. If Obama wants to encourage schools to adopt this program, fine, that's cool... but don't force it on anyone.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=pauliec;2846676]I had to do it as a requirement to graduate from my Catholic high school. I had no problem with it, and accepted it as a part learning the whole "Christian service" aspect.

However, I really don't agree with a federal mandate. In fact, I really, [B]really [/B]disagree with it. Big time. If Obama wants to encourage schools to adopt this program, fine, that's cool... but don't force it on anyone.[/QUOTE]

I love the federal mandate. My kids also go to parochial school and have the requirement already.

I can't wait to hear the public school constituant response. I can't wait to hear the libs who cried about 'big brother' and how Bush administration was gutting our rights.

It will be great theatre.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2846676]I had to do it as a requirement to graduate from my Catholic high school. I had no problem with it, and accepted it as a part learning the whole "Christian service" aspect.

However, I really don't agree with a federal mandate. In fact, I really, [B]really [/B]disagree with it. Big time. If Obama wants to encourage schools to adopt this program, fine, that's cool... but don't force it on anyone.[/QUOTE]

+ a billion

I too had to do this at my high school. It was definitely a positive thing. But you know what? If me (or moreso my parents at the time) had decided that wasn't right for me, then I could have gone to a different school. Mandating this, or any other choice across the board is just scary.

I will say it until I am blue in the face: IT IS NOT THE ROLE OF GOVERNMENT TO MANDATE TO ITS PEOPLE HOW TO LIVE THEIR LIVES OR MAKE DECISIONS FOR THEM.

Government should exist soley to defend liberties, not take them away.

[QUOTE=Guido Monzino;2846694]+ a billion

I too had to do this at my high school. It was definitely a positive thing. But you know what? If me (or moreso my parents at the time) had decided that wasn't right for me, then I could have gone to a different school. Mandating this, or any other choice across the board is just scary.

I will say it until I am blue in the face: IT IS NOT THE ROLE OF GOVERNMENT TO MANDATE TO ITS PEOPLE HOW TO LIVE THEIR LIVES OR MAKE DECISIONS FOR THEM.

Government should exist soley to defend liberties, not take them away.[/QUOTE]+1776

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2846701]+1776[/QUOTE]

I am irate. I am officially changing my name to Guido Thomas Jefferson Monzino and running for Senate.

Monzino in 2010.

[QUOTE=Guido Monzino;2846710]I am irate. I am officially changing my name to Guido Thomas Jefferson Monzino and running for Senate.

Monzino in 2010.[/QUOTE]

Can I be your campaign manager?

volunteering is great, parents and private and public schools making kids volunteer is great. The FEDERAL GOVERNMENT requiring "volunteering" is slavery. And read carefully it won't just be students, he will "ask" ALL americans. 1984.

[QUOTE=dermlord;2846742]volunteering is great, parents and private and public schools making kids volunteer is great. The FEDERAL GOVERNMENT requiring "volunteering" is slavery. And read carefully it won't just be students, he will "ask" ALL americans. 1984.[/QUOTE]

MANDATED "volunteering" -- yeah, that's not double speak or anything.

[i]Everyone is equal, but some are more equal than others.[/i]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

...oops, I read this quick and missed that it would be [I]required[/I]...that is fine for a private school that I have made the choice to send my kid, however encouraging and requiring from all in a public school is something else all together.

That being said I've done a great deal of volunteer work over the past years, a large part in the form of coaching kids, and it is by far the most satisfying part of my week.

[QUOTE=Guido Monzino;2846694]+ a billion

Government should exist soley to defend liberties, not take them away.[/QUOTE]

+1

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

i'd be OK with the federal government incentivizing (is that a word?) public schools to institute this, but requiring it is another thing. and i'd be happy if my kids went to such a school. they're young right now, 5 & 7, but they've had some exposure to charity/community service work and have a really good, positive attitude about it that I hope we'll be able to continue.

[quote=RutgersJetFan;2846667]Doesn't the service time for college students result in a $4,000 tuition credit though?[/quote]

If its optional, I'm all for it (although not sure where the funds to pay for that credit would come from). The difference between college and HS, to me, is that in HS, the state gives you educational mandates; in that environment, mandating community service as part of education is pretty unobjectionable. In college, you choose your own educational course, with the institution you are attending setting some basic guidelines. The government should have nothing to say about it.

On the other hand, if the government wants to condition its Pell grants or student loans on community service . . . that's something else I can get behind.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=jetswin;2846770]...That being said I've done a great deal of volunteer work over the past years, a large part in the form of coaching kids, and it is by far the most satisfying part of my week.[/QUOTE]

Except for the parents, right coach ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Guido Monzino;2846694] IT IS NOT THE ROLE OF GOVERNMENT TO MANDATE TO ITS PEOPLE HOW TO LIVE THEIR LIVES OR MAKE DECISIONS FOR THEM.

Government should exist soley to defend liberties, not take them away.[/QUOTE]

Awesome. Now if you could just talk Republicans into adopting a platform reflecting this sentiment you might have something here...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Piper;2846786]Except for the parents, right coach ;)[/QUOTE]

lol...yeah, I left that part out :D

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2846792]Awesome. Now if you could just talk Republicans into adopting a platform reflecting this sentiment you might have something here...[/QUOTE]

The Libertarian Party is already on that