Thread: President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran sent an letter congratulating Obama

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran sent an letter congratulating Obama

First time since the Revolution they have sent such a letter to a President elect..:rolleyes:

By NAZILA FATHI
    Published: November 6, 2008
    TEHRAN — President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran sent an unusual letter congratulating President-elect Barack Obama on Thursday for his victory in the American presidential race, even though the two nations have had no diplomatic ties for nearly 30 years.

Skip to next paragraph
    Related
    Times Topics: Mahmoud AhmadinejadMr. Ahmadinejad has written letters to world leaders in the past, including one to President Bush. But this is the first time an Iranian leader has congratulated the winner of an American election, at least since the Iranian revolution.

Diplomatic ties between Iran and the United States were severed in 1979, when radical students attacked the United States Embassy in Tehran and took American diplomats hostage.

Iranian leaders continue to use hostile language toward the United States, and Mr. Ahmadinejad had said that he did not think a black candidate could be elected because of racial discrimination.

“I congratulate you for attracting the majority of votes in the election,” Mr. Ahmadinejad wrote in his message, an Iranian news agency, ISNA, reported. “As you know, opportunities that are bestowed upon humans are short lived,” he wrote, adding that he hoped Mr. Obama would make the most of the opportunity.

The delivery of the letter coincided with a move by the Bush administration to put more pressure on Iran by adding measures that prohibit financial institutions from helping Iranian banks, the government or others in the country, the Treasury Department said Thursday.

Previously, American financial institutions were allowed to handle certain money transfers that might have directly or indirectly helped Iranian interests. But the action announced Thursday ended what the Treasury Department called “the last general entry point for Iranian banks.” Still, exceptions will be granted in certain cases, like individual remittances and humanitarian aid.

In his letter, Mr. Ahmadinejad said that people in America and around the world expected Mr. Obama to make major changes in domestic and foreign policy, and to limit American interference in other parts of the world.

“People in the world expect war-oriented policies, occupation, bullying, deception and intimidation of nations and imposing discriminatory policies on them and international affairs, which have evoked hatred toward American leaders, to be replaced by ones advocating justice, respect for human rights, friendship and noninterference in other countries’ affairs,” the letter said, according to ISNA.

“They also want the U.S. intervention to be limited to its borders, especially in the sensitive region of the Middle East,” it said. “It is expected to reverse the unfair attitude of the past 60 years to restore the rights of people in Palestine, Iraq and Afghanistan.”

Mr. Obama has said that he would engage in aggressive diplomacy with Iran, and that he might offer economic incentives if Iran were more cooperative on issues like terrorism and nuclear development.

His position has stirred concerns among some world leaders. The Israeli foreign minister, Tzipi Livni, expressed her concerns on Thursday after Mr. Obama’s victory became clear, saying that he should not talk to Iran because it might send the wrong signal.

“We live in a neighborhood in which sometimes dialogue — in a situation where you have brought sanctions and then switch to dialogue — is liable to be interpreted as weakness,” Ms. Livni said in an interview on Israel Radio.

Iran’s foreign policy is decided by the supreme religious leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

It was not clear whether Mr. Ahmadinejad had the ayatollah’s approval to send a message to Mr. Obama, but his letter to Mr. Bush raised speculation that Iran was trying to open a dialogue with the United States.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    that's great news!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Ahmadinejad's power is slipping in Iran.

Still, I hope that President Obama does NOT appoint John Kerry to be Secretary-of-State. :pray:

:jets18

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlbanyJet;2848184]I think Ahmadinejad's power is slipping in Iran.

Still, I hope that President Obama does NOT appoint John Kerry to be Secretary-of-State. :pray:

:jets18[/QUOTE]

Gov Bill Richardson is a lock for the job. I'm sure Obama knows he's the best man for the job. He's the best pick imo.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

You can bet Kerry gets some type of cabinet position since BO owes him a bunch!

I wonder if BO will make the same mistake Clinton and Bush made in naming a woman as Sec. of State?

Nothing against women being SoS, but ragheads have no respect for the fairer sex!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree 100% with everything you said.
    John Kerry would be a terrible choice for secretary of state.
    And yes Ahmedinejads power is slipping. He was recently disgraced/humiliated when his interior minister and close friend was fired by parliament over a fake degree.

As Ive said many times before. Ahmedinejad's power is over-estimated by most Americans. He is a weak leader and this latest act by parliament shows just how weak he is. Thank god we didnt do anything foolish like launch airstrikes against Iran as this would only have strengthened Ahmedinejad and united the people with him.

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    Two men with ties to terrorists exchanging pleasantries. I expect them to become great friends. They have a lot in common.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahmadinejad never really had much power in Iran to begin with.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=2009fatman;2847553]First time since the Revolution they have sent such a letter to a President elect..:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

How is this a bad thing?

Obama's positive image around the globe is an asset, not a liability.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;2851050]How is this a bad thing?

Obama's positive image around the globe is an asset, not a liability.[/QUOTE]

An asset to who exactly?The countries around the globe will benefit from this election , including Iran,Syria and N.Korea.

Does any of that make him an asset to us?

He is still going to raise taxes and socialize healthcare in this country

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetfan_Johnny;2851125]The countries around the globe will benefit from this election , including Iran,Syria and N.Korea.[/QUOTE]

How so?

It's an asset to the US because it gives us more respect around the world. This type of respect is priceless in international relations and especially in the fight against terror.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;2851207]How so?

It's an asset to the US because it gives us more respect around the world. This type of respect is priceless in international relations and especially in the fight against terror.[/QUOTE]

I understand your point but the counties that terrorist used for a safe haven will not be impacted by his great image and to be perfectly honest it is not important what the Germans or the French think.

If he cuts into the defense budget , as i believe he will, that will be a much bigger liability than any gain made by his good image.

not to mention raising taxes and socializing healthcare
    Last edited by Jetfan_Johnny; 11-10-2008 at 12:02 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetfan_Johnny;2851226]I understand your point but the counties that terrorist used for a safe haven will not be impacted by his great image and to be perfectly honest it is not important what the Germans or the French think.

If he cuts into the defense budget , as i believe he will, that will be a much bigger liability than any gain made by his good image.

not to mention raising taxes and socializing healthcare[/QUOTE]

We will see whether or not safe haven countries are impacted by Obama. That is yet to be determined, and my only point is that a positive global image certainly can't hurt.

You are dead wrong when you say that Germany and France are not important. Thinking that we can take on this fight solo and the views of our allies don't matter is what got us in our current mess.

Raising taxes and instituting universal health care have nothing to do with this topic.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetfan_Johnny;2851226]I understand your point but the counties that terrorist used for a safe haven will not be impacted by his great image and to be perfectly honest it is not important what the Germans or the French think.

not to mention raising taxes and socializing healthcare[/QUOTE]

So there's absolutely no waste in our defense(offense) budget?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;2851284]We will see whether or not safe haven countries are impacted by Obama. That is yet to be determined, and my only point is that a positive global image certainly can't hurt.

You are dead wrong when you say that Germany and France are not important. Thinking that we can take on this fight solo and the views of our allies don't matter is what got us in our current mess.

Raising taxes and instituting universal health care have nothing to do with this topic.[/QUOTE]

where were the Germans and French when the multinational force deployed in their backyard to deal with Milosovic was made up largely of US forces. If i remember correctly that was done under a white house with a great image!

You have to excuse me i dont get excited that a President of a nation that sponsors terrorism is happy with our election results.
    Last edited by Jetfan_Johnny; 11-10-2008 at 12:50 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2851362]So there's absolutely no waste in our defense(offense) budget?[/QUOTE]

sure there is , i never said there wasn't. But we are at a time of tranisition for today's military.

The military as it is, was designed to fight a convential enemy n a convential war. The military needs to be better equipped and make better use of technology. None of this can happen if you start trimming their budget.

There is plenty of waste all over the budget I am not arguing that but instead of cutting defense why not get rid of programs that are all waste like schip