Thread: Voting

Voting

A obligation and a right! One would think when you are voting one should take the time to read the instructions. I ask this in the case of Coleman/Franken. It seems some people didn't bother to read the instructions but still want their vote to be counted. If the instx. say fill in the dot do not put a circle or underline the candidates name why bother voting. If you are to stupid to read you are to stupid to vote!

[QUOTE=MnJetFan;2852426]A obligation and a right! One would think when you are voting one should take the time to read the instructions. I ask this in the case of Coleman/Franken. It seems some people didn't bother to read the instructions but still want their vote to be counted. If the instx. say fill in the dot do not put a circle or underline the candidates name why bother voting. If you are to stupid to read you are to stupid to vote![/QUOTE]

If it's clear who the voter intended to vote for, than there vote should count. If it isn't clear than contact the voter to double check, what's wrong with letting everyone who voted, vote count? This might take long, but it's more important to get it right, then disenfranchise many Americans, stupid or not...
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 11-10-2008 at 08:30 PM.

[QUOTE=Tyler Durden;2852439]If it's clear who the voter intended to vote for, than there vote should count. If it isn't clear than contact the voter to double check, what's wrong with letting everyone who voted, vote count? This might take long, but it's more important to get it right, then disenfranchise many Americans, stupid or not...[/QUOTE]

What's wrong with expecting voters to follow instructions? If I don't follow voting instructions, then I've forfeited the right for my vote to count. Why shouldn't I be responsible for my actions? :eek:

[QUOTE=asuusa;2852528]What's wrong with expecting voters to follow instructions? If I don't follow voting instructions, then I've forfeited the right for my vote to count. Why shouldn't I be responsible for my actions? :eek:[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I just believe everyone who wanted to vote, should have there vote counted.

the funny thing is, this conversation would be the other way around if the results were different.

No never.

[QUOTE=piney;2852560]the funny thing is, this conversation would be the other way around if the results were different.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=piney;2852560]the funny thing is, this conversation would be the other way around if the results were different.[/QUOTE]

Possibly, but it seems to always be in heavy 'rat areas where this problem happens!

If you take HS or College entrance exams and you dont follow instx. you fail plain and simple. To stupid to follow instx to stupid to vote!

Hall Of Fame

No, we know how to read instructions.:D

But seriously, after what happened in 2000, with all the press coverage, and now HBO movies on the subject, you would think people would be more careful about following instructions. Now asking to bring human judgement into "voter intent" is a recipe for fraud and shenanigans.
    Last edited by HDCentStOhio; 11-11-2008 at 08:11 AM.

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2852980]No, we know how to read instructions.:D

But seriously, after what happened in 2000, with all the press coverage, and now HBO movies on the subject, you would think people would be more careful about following instructions. Now asking to bring human judgement into "voter intent" is a recipe for fraud and shenanigans.[/QUOTE]

Nonsense. Look on fivethirtyeight or at the Minnesota Board of elections website -- they have pre-defined examples of what under-votes will count and which won't. The problem in Florida is that there was no pre-determined system which opened the door to the Federal Court action and the heist which took place therefrom. Are Republicans so deeply corrupt that they have to project that quality on everyone else? I am confident that in a state with a Republican Governor, a Democratic Secretary of State and a healthy mix of both in the Judiciary and the canvass boards -- a good result will come out of this. I put Franken's chances at slightly under 50-50.

What is disgusting here is Coleman's willingness to throw the system under the bus (with zero justification) to try to eke out some advantage or prepare excuses for himself if he goes on to lose.

I guess no one on the right is paying attention to their boy Ted Stevens and what is going on in his election?

Felons can't vote, but you can re-elect one in Alaska GO GOP!!!

[QUOTE=asuusa;2852631]Possibly, but it seems to always be in heavy 'rat areas where this problem happens![/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=asuusa;2852631]Possibly, but it seems to always be in heavy 'rat areas where this problem happens![/QUOTE]
    Yes, just saw an article where some recounts gained Al F'n Franken 500+ votes. Where did these "errors" happen? Democratic precincts. And you guys try to present Franken as the guy who's getting screwed? Unbelievable.

[QUOTE=sackdance;2853284]Yes, just saw an article where some recounts gained Al F'n Franken 500+ votes. Where did these "errors" happen? Democratic precincts. And you guys try to present Franken as the guy who's getting screwed? Unbelievable.[/QUOTE]

You say "Democratic Precincts" as though you mean precincts controlled by democrats. This is not the case, they are precincts where more democrats vote. Each precinct is monitored by people of both parties. Mathematically andlogically, it is of course the case you'll find errors that will likely add to the democrats vote totals where more democrats vote. Also, since Democratic precincts tend to be more urban and are consequently busier you have a higher likelihood of tabulation errors. The most common one is transposing numbers like wiritng "23" when you mean "32" -- or, placing a 1 very close to the line of the box where you record the score, then missing the 1 when you do the precinct tabulation.

I don't know who thinks Franken is getting screwed, but these periods of adjusting numbers takes place after every election -- its just that nobody cares because its almost never this close. Coleman seems like he's the one being a baby.