Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Catholic bishops will fight Obama on abortion

Catholic bishops will fight Obama on abortion

[url]http://apnews.myway.com/article/20081112/D94D7AHG0.html[/url]

Good for them...nice to see a stand being taken against our President-elect on this issue.

Jets Insider VIP
    Top two threads this morning. Gays and abortions.

And you Republicans wonder why you lost. De-dee-de!

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    [QUOTE=Tucker134;2856926][url]http://apnews.myway.com/article/20081112/D94D7AHG0.html[/url]

Good for them...nice to see a stand being taken against our President-elect on this issue.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]And several prelates promised to call out Catholic policy makers on their failures to follow church teaching. Bishop Joseph Martino of Scranton, Pa., singled out Vice President-elect Biden, a Catholic, Scranton native who supports abortion rights..[/QUOTE]

What about Church teaching on “Just wars”?

Is this going to be discussed?

Who cares what they say? American Catholics generally ignore their teachings on birth control, abortion, the death penalty, driving, poverty etc.?

Keep your religion at home please. Its not good for politics & politics is not good for it.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2856938]Top two threads this morning. Gays and abortions.

And you Republicans wonder why you lost. De-dee-de![/QUOTE]

Don't think the other thread was about "gays" per se, but rather the crazy reaction of a group of people, who happen to be homosexual, expressing their right to protest and assemble while not respecting the same right for those of the opposing viewpoint.

I wonder if they will be as effective as the Pope himself at stopping the Iraq war?

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2856938]Top two threads this morning. Gays and abortions.

And you Republicans wonder why you lost. De-dee-de![/QUOTE]

Yeah, you ain't kidding.

That being said, Obama does have a very spotty history on abortion right. He's very liberal when it comes to late-term abortions.

What's wrong with someone standing up in an appropriate manner for what they believe in?

This is still America, right?

You goobers are on the wrong side of every issue...it's actually funny..& sad at the same time. I just had a kid, a beautiful baby girl...& going through the process w my wife it became 100% apparent that there was a LIFE growing inside her- it's not about religion, I was just happy to see the bishops stand up to Obama...

So...let's stick up for people convicted of Capital murder, & forget about the rights of the unborn...& defend middle aged gay men who attack an old lady who's exercising her 1st amendment rights...congrats, you're all losers.

[QUOTE=pauliec;2857194]Yeah, you ain't kidding.

That being said, Obama does have a very spotty history on abortion right. He's very liberal when it comes to late-term abortions.[/QUOTE]

You should look more into that vote on the late-term stuff on a non-righty website. His position wasn't at all radical -- that was myth.

[QUOTE=Tucker134;2857211]You goobers are on the wrong side of every issue...it's actually funny..& sad at the same time. I just had a kid, a beautiful baby girl...& going through the process w my wife it became 100% apparent that there was a LIFE growing inside her- it's not about religion, I was just happy to see the bishops stand up to Obama...

So...let's stick up for people convicted of Capital murder, & forget about the rights of the unborn...& defend middle aged gay men who attack an old lady who's exercising her 1st amendment rights...congrats, you're all losers.[/QUOTE]

Actually we're winners: My preference will soon be in the White House, the Senate & House are in the hands of my party & the Supreme Court will soon be moving in the direction I prefer. Your side ... not so much. Hey, at least you've still got Fox news...

[QUOTE=fukushimajin;2857215]You should look more into that vote on the late-term stuff on a non-righty website. His position wasn't at all radical -- that was myth.[/QUOTE]

Babies are punishment..no not at all radical..just a myth

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNzmly28Bmg[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2857194]Yeah, you ain't kidding.

That being said, Obama does have a very spotty history on abortion right. He's very liberal when it comes to late-term abortions.[/QUOTE]

My understanding is that position you speak of is propaganda based..

I understand Obama voted against it because it didn't have a health of the mother clause.
    Last edited by CTM; 11-13-2008 at 11:19 AM.

[QUOTE=CTM;2857372]My understanding, that like most everything else, that position you speak of is propaganda..

[/QUOTE]

Ouch...

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2857379]Ouch...[/QUOTE]

Ohh lol..No, sorry, I didn't mean it that way. Just meant how these wedge issues are often exaggerated to stir up emotions. I didn't mean most of what you believe is propaganda..

[QUOTE=CTM;2857403]Ohh lol..No, sorry, I didn't mean it that way. Just meant how these wedge issues are often exaggerated to stir up emotions. I didn't mean most of what you believe is propaganda..[/QUOTE]

Oh, ok... a slight misunderstanding there :D

And you're right, that's the problem with most of these wedge issues. Their propagation hinges on people's emotions.
    Last edited by JetsFan2012; 11-13-2008 at 11:24 AM.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Tucker134;2857211]You goobers are on the wrong side of every issue...it's actually funny..& sad at the same time. I just had a kid, a beautiful baby girl...& going through the process w my wife it became 100% apparent that there was a LIFE growing inside her- it's not about religion, I was just happy to see the bishops stand up to Obama...

So...let's stick up for people convicted of Capital murder, & forget about the rights of the unborn...& defend middle aged gay men who attack an old lady who's exercising her 1st amendment rights...congrats, you're all losers.[/QUOTE]

As someone who is a Catholic and went to Catholic school and was a pro-life republican up until 8 years ago I could see where you're coming from. You genuinely believe abortion is murder and have good intentions.

The problem is abortion done early in the pregnancy is not murder. The fetus is a clump of cells and can't survive outside of the mother's womb.

The next problem is reconciling the conservative movement's stand against abortion with it's stand against welfare and government programs like medicare and medicaid. If there is no abortion and women, specifically poor single mothers, are forced to have more children what happens once these kids are born? The GOP can preach self-responsiblity and religion all it wants it isn't realistic. No abortion means millions more mouths to feed, pay for education and healthcare expenses.

I can respect someone who is pro-life if they support increased government assistance for these kids getting born but most, if not all, republicans don't.

It's like the George Carlin joke. Conservatives care about you like crazy before you're born but once you're born you're on your own.

[QUOTE=CTM;2857372]My understanding is that position you speak of is propaganda based..

I understand Obama voted against it because it didn't have a health of the mother clause.[/QUOTE]

health of mother is the LAMEST cop-out argument ever from the pro-choice side....nice try...the process of having a baby is an endangerment to the health of the mother by itself...u can get any unscrupulous OB-GYN to say that in order to get a late-term abortion...congrats on reading BS talking points, very original. My brother was an ob-gyn out of med-school- total BS argument- next

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Buster;2856939]What about Church teaching on “Just wars”?

Is this going to be discussed?[/QUOTE]

Yes, because the church is wrong in everything, isn't it?

Did it ever occur to you, or to anyone on this board about this topic, that the church is the only one that is actually trying to stand up for the rights of the unborn child that is not considered a person?

Anyone here need a refresher course? I think so.......

"In the eyes of the law....The slave is not a person."
    Virginia Supreme Court decision, 1858
    "An Indian is not a person within the meaning of the Constitution."
    George Canfield--American Law Review, 1881.
    "The statutory word 'person' did not in these circumstances include women."
    British Voting Rights case, 1909
    "The Reichsgericht refused to recognize Jews as persons in the legal sense."
    German Suprem Court decision, 1936

But yes, it is those evil churches that can do no right in the world, and the liberators of truth that do wonders...
    Seriously, its time to actually start thinking about some of these topics, and put this concept of Left/Right superiority to bed.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;2857449]

The problem is abortion done early in the pregnancy is not murder. The fetus is a clump of cells and can't survive outside of the mother's womb.

The next problem is reconciling the conservative movement's stand against abortion with it's stand against welfare and government programs like medicare and medicaid. If there is no abortion and women, specifically poor single mothers, are forced to have more children what happens once these kids are born? The GOP can preach self-responsiblity and religion all it wants it isn't realistic. No abortion means millions more mouths to feed, pay for education and healthcare expenses.

[/QUOTE]

This is quite possibly one of the weakest arguments I have read.....

So, we should accept the fact that millions of potential lives should be lost because otherwise they would wind up being poor children anyway? How nice...

And Roe v. Wade actually states that an abortion cannot take place once the fetus could live outside the mothers wombs....thanks to technology, that can, and will keep, happening earlier and earlier in a pregnancy...

Where they gonna go now with this argument?