Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yanks Trade for Nick Swisher

Hall Of Fame

Yanks Trade for Nick Swisher

Why?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3700869

I hope this isn't the "real" firstbaseman Cashman was talking about

Hall Of Fame
    I suppose I'm ok with this if he's a bench bat. The guy can play anywhere in the OF as well as 1B

All Pro
    If all they are looking for at 1B is a guy who hits .219, then why not just keep Giambi?

Hopefully this isn't really going to be our 1B next season. At least the price was cheap.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    I suppose I'm ok with this if he's a bench bat. The guy can play anywhere in the OF as well as 1B
    Let's cross our fingers and hope that's all that it is. Not a bad move if that's the case, so I'll wait to make a judgement on this one.

Banned
    He won't be a bench bat...either CF or 1B.

Veteran
    He would be a good bench guy who could play multiple positions...don't know if he can do anything full time..

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Let's cross our fingers and hope that's all that it is. Not a bad move if that's the case, so I'll wait to make a judgement on this one.
    Yeah, let's see how it plays out. But on the surface, I'm hating it less than my initial reaction. A switch hitter who can play 4 positions, gets on base pretty well. Sounds more like a replacement for Betemit than anything.

All Pro
    Yeah, let's see how it plays out. But on the surface, I'm hating it less than my initial reaction. A switch hitter who can play 4 positions, gets on base pretty well. Sounds more like a replacement for Betemit than anything.
    Now we're talking.

Hall Of Fame
    You're not paying Swisher 5.3 million next year (and growing) to be a bench bat. He's starting somewhere, my guess is they see him as a Centerfielder, but he'll be a bad one at that.

Veteran
    any idea how he is defensively at first? I know in the outfield he is a little above average...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    You're not paying Swisher 5.3 million next year (and growing) to be a bench bat. He's starting somewhere, my guess is they see him as a Centerfielder, but he'll be a bad one at that.
    That's not an outrageous amount for a solid bench player in baseball make these days. Not at all. Especially for the Yanks.

All Pro
    Maybe somewhat of a platoon situation in CF with Gardner getting some time as well. I really don't see him as our starting 1B. That's really not a huge amount of money, especially for the Yanks.

Hall Of Fame
    That's not an outrageous amount for a solid bench player in baseball make these days. Not at all. Especially for the Yanks.
    Uh, yes it is.

Maybe the Yankees have some money burning a hole in their pockets, but find me one player making 5 million plus who was acquired specifically to be a bench player. It doesn't happen.

I would be shocked if they acquired Swisher to use as a bench bat, my guess is they see him as their Centerfielder, but he's below-average out there.

All Pro
    I don't think he'll be an everyday player anywhere. He'll be a guy that plays 2-3 games out of 5 at 1B and in the OF, spelling $5 mil is very much appropriate for that role in today's game... No way does Cash make him our guy at first.

Hall Of Fame
    Uh, yes it is.

Maybe the Yankees have some money burning a hole in their pockets, but find me one player making 5 million plus who was acquired specifically to be a bench player. It doesn't happen.

I would be shocked if they acquired Swisher to use as a bench bat, my guess is they see him as their Centerfielder, but he's below-average out there.
    The Red Sox traded for Mark Kotsay last year to be a bench/role player. $7 million.

Hall Of Fame
    The Sox also pay Julio Lugo $9.25 million to back up Jed Lowrie and $5 million to Coco Crisp to back up Jacoby Ellsbury

All Pro
    Not really the same thing, he was only on their payroll for two months.

All League
    i like this trade. they didn't give up anything and he can play multiple positions. his avg sucks but he has power and walks.

Hall Of Fame
    The Red Sox traded for Mark Kotsay last year to be a bench/role player. $7 million.
    The Oakland A's paid 5.3 million of his 7.3 million salary last year, he was only being paid the prorated portion of 2 million by the Red Sox.

The Sox also pay Julio Lugo $9.25 million to back up Jed Lowrie and $5 million to Coco Crisp to back up Jacoby Ellsbury
    Both players were signed/traded for to be starters, only when they disappointed did they become backup players, but that was not by design.

The Yankees, on the other hand, are acquiring a high salary player in your eyes specifically to be a bench player.

Apples and oranges.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    Not really the same thing, he was only on their payroll for two months.
    And Lugo's been there for two years.