Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Auto Bailout

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Auto Bailout

Instead of "bailing out" these failing auto companies, that cannot seem to compete with foreign automakers, why not throw tax incentives to tax payers to buy American cars? Wouldn't this increase sales? I mean why not just give tax incentives to buy anything American made? especially during these times.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetfan78;2858768]Instead of "bailing out" these failing auto companies, that cannot seem to compete with foreign automakers, why not throw tax incentives to tax payers to buy American cars? Wouldn't this increase sales? I mean why not just give tax incentives to buy anything American made? especially during these times.[/QUOTE]

The bottom line is the auto companies need to change their mod of operation. I'm against doing anything that encourages them to continue their same failing ways

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only with BIG union concessions. If not tough luck!

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    How would you like to be a factory worker in Mississippi working for Toyota the past 5 years and find out your tax dollars are going to fund the pensions of employees competing at a rival automaker?

This auto bailout could be the worse one yet.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2861916]How would you like to be a factory worker in Mississippi working for Toyota the past 5 years and find out your tax dollars are going to fund the pensions of employees competing at a rival automaker?

This auto bailout could be the worse one yet.[/QUOTE]

It's sickening, and something only so nonsensical and devious that Nancy Pelosi could dream it up.

However much money they are going to give the Big 3, it won't be enough. They'll burn through whatever billion it is and then ask for more. Sometimes failing is a good thing.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetfan78;2858768]Instead of "bailing out" these failing auto companies, that cannot seem to compete with foreign automakers, why not throw tax incentives to tax payers to buy American cars? Wouldn't this increase sales? I mean why not just give tax incentives to buy anything American made? especially during these times.[/QUOTE]

That would probably be in violation of the NAFTA agreement.

I think a first easier step would be to replace as many federal government vehicles as possible with brand new Ford, GM and Chrysler cars. Take the old replaced cars and give them to our allies in the war on terror. These cars need to be replaced eventually (just accelerate the process) and it would pull a bunch of cars off the market. Also, the Big Three would get some of the money they need thru 'sales'

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2861916]How would you like to be a factory worker in Mississippi working for Toyota the past 5 years and find out your tax dollars are going to fund the pensions of employees competing at a rival automaker?

This auto bailout could be the worse one yet.[/QUOTE]
    I wonder if we should stop calling it bailout??

I read the plan was for the government to buy shares in the big 3. Which means, that the Government will partially own the biggest banks, insurers and automobile manufacturers in the country..

This capitalism stuff is for the birds anyway. I'm in retail and my company is being devastated right now because of this. When can I expect the government to "bailout" my company and save my job? Maybe I too can dotted line to the COC

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CTM;2862493]I wonder if we should stop calling it bailout??

I read the plan was for the government to buy shares in the big 3. Which means, that the Government will partially own the biggest banks, insurers and automobile manufacturers in the country..

This capitalism stuff is for the birds anyway. I'm in retail and my company is being devastated right now because of this. When can I expect the government to "bailout" my company and save my job? Maybe I too can dotted line to the COC[/QUOTE]

Why would Americans want to own crappy businesses? The government “investment” in failing businesses is a sham anyway. The taxpayer doesn’t get shares in these businesses, the government does. If the companies turn it around, the tax payer doesn’t get dividends or capital gains, the government just has more assets. That just means they have a license to spend even more. Both parties are looking to spend as much as possible, just in different ways.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2862996]Why would Americans want to own crappy businesses? The government “investment” in failing businesses is a sham anyway. The taxpayer doesn’t get shares in these businesses, the government does. If the companies turn it around, the tax payer doesn’t get dividends or capital gains, the government just has more assets. That just means they have a license to spend even more. Both parties are looking to spend as much as possible, just in different ways.[/QUOTE]
    Agreed. I was being sarcastic..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CTM;2863079]Agreed. I was being sarcastic..[/QUOTE]

I know -- I figured people might think I was disagreeing with you. I was just adding to your post.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2863081]I know -- I figured people might think I was disagreeing with you. I was just adding to your post.[/QUOTE]

I know you knew just didn't want other people to think I was being serious..

lol

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    "If we don't cut stimulus checks, disaster will strike." Doesn't do anything. "If we don't step in for AIG, disaster will strike!" Disaster strikes anyway; equity holders of AIG get screwed in favor of JPMorgan equity holders, equity markets unsure of government's intentions, markets continue to tumble. "If we don't bail out Fannie and Freddie, disaster will strike broader economy!" Disaster strikes anyway. "We need $700bn right now, no questions asked, or else disaster will strike! Hurry! And don't worry, we'll actually make money in the long run, trust us!" ("Okay, fine, you get your money, but we get to add our pork to it!")

"Oh, yeah, well, remember that $700bn? Well, now it is actually more like $2.5 trillion, and remember the "or else" part? Well, that kind of happened anyway...darndest thing. And remember those Tarp investments that we were going to make and profit from to prevent the "or else" that happened anyway? Well, we sort of don't plan on making them anymore because it was kind of a bad idea all along (though totally necessary at the time), so there goes the profit, but don't worry, now our new plan is going to work but don't ask questions, there's no time...for God's sake, if we don't bail out GM and Ford, disaster will strike!"

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2861944]It's sickening, and something only so nonsensical and devious that Nancy Pelosi could dream it up.

However much money they are going to give the Big 3, it won't be enough. They'll burn through whatever billion it is and then ask for more. Sometimes failing is a good thing.[/QUOTE]

We would be better off flushing cash down the toilet because it might actually clean some pipes out. That would be a better use than giving it to the automakers. They are bloated, inefficient and have little ability to innovate.

We might as well give Xerox $3 Billion to support typewriter manufacturing.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2863932]We would be better off flushing cash down the toilet because it might actually clean some pipes out. That would be a better use than giving it to the automakers. They are bloated, inefficient and have little ability to innovate.

We might as well give Xerox $3 Billion to support typewriter manufacturing.[/QUOTE]

Typewriters; the new 'green' word processing unit.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm. I don't remember this [I]much[/I] animosity when Wall Street firms were "bailed out".

Interesting. Well, actually not. You're all elitists anyway ;):P

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2866667]Hmmm. I don't remember this [I]much[/I] animosity when Wall Street firms were "bailed out".

Interesting. Well, actually not. You're all elitists anyway ;):P[/QUOTE]

Uh, yeah there was.

And I'm not an elitist. Stop.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bailout with strings-

1. "Green" and big tank-like vehicles on a smaller production scale.
    2. Employer and employee consessions
    3. No money shipped to Mexico
    4. Tax incentives to create manufacturing jobs here instead of Mexico.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2866667]Hmmm. I don't remember this [I]much[/I] animosity when Wall Street firms were "bailed out".

Interesting. Well, actually not. You're all elitists anyway ;):P[/QUOTE]

You might want to check with your Doctor abouit that. I hear Alzheimers can set in rather early these days, and I would hate to see you fall victim to that terrible affliction.

Just Say "No" to Bailouts and Nationalization.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with you here, well if they decide to do it.

[QUOTE=chicadeel;2866709]Bailout with strings-

4. Tax incentives to create manufacturing jobs here instead of Mexico.[/QUOTE]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chicadeel;2866709]Bailout with strings-

4. Tax incentives to create manufacturing jobs here instead of Mexico.[/QUOTE]

How about no money shipped anywhere! Let one of the big three go under.
    Most likely Chrysler. If GM wants money eliminate GMC and Buick and let Chevy and Caddie and Saturn be their 3 models. There must be union givebacks.