Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yanks to offer CC 6 years, $137.5M+ (not final)

All Pro

Yanks to offer CC 6 years, $137.5M+ (not final)

Per Buster Olney

As expected Friday, the New York Yankees officially tendered an offer to free-agent pitcher CC Sabathia.

The offer is expected to be six years in length and have a total value of slightly more than the record $137.5 million deal that pitcher Johan Santana signed with the Mets before last season.

Santana's deal had been the largest ever for a pitcher.

Friday represented the first day that free agents can be signed. The Yankees also are expected to make offers to free-agent right-handers A.J. Burnett and Derek Lowe.

Burnett has a four-year, $54 million offer from Toronto, while Lowe is looking for a five-year contract.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SUJets1988 View Post
    Per Buster Olney
    That is the exact same contract the Mets gave to Santana... Yankees are not ****ing around.

EDIT: LOL.. Cleary it states that in the article.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3226412

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    That is the exact same contract the Mets gave to Santana... Yankees are not ****ing around.

More than Santana.

All Pro

Yea, they're going to top it.

Banned
    Unless Sabathia decides to take less from someone else, Sabathia will be pitching in pinstripes on Opening Day, Yankees will not be out bid. There is also a pretty good chance we will outbid anyone for Burnett as well. Yankees have a lot of extra money this off season.

Sabathia
    Wang
    Burnett
    Joba
    Pettitte

That's a championship rotation.

Sabathia
    Wang
    Burnett
    Joba
    Pettitte

On paper, maybe.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bluffo View Post
    On paper, maybe.
    Lets say the Yankees do get CC and Burnett, who has a better rotation? on paper..

Banned
    Absolutely ridiculous amount of money.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Absolutely ridiculous amount of money.
    Yankees can afford it with all those contracts going off the books. Moose, Pavano, Giambi, and others. '

Speaking of Pavano, anyone hear that interview the other day where he said his years in NY where exhausting, exhausting? really? All 26 starts you had really wore you out? You threw 145 innings in 4 ****ing years!
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 11-14-2008 at 09:33 PM.

Cashmans words. "Even if we get all the players we want, dream situation we still will be paying less than we did last year resigning guys"

So the Yankees certainly will make a big splash. They have the money. I expect CC to be a yankee before Thanksgiving. Probably this week sometime. AJ Burnett or Derek Lowe, one will be a Yankee also. The Yankees made it clear they want at least 2 SP added to the rotation.
    I really wish we would go hard after Mark Teixeira, but it doesn't look like thats happening...
    Another boneheaded move by Cashman getting Swisher to be the 1B instead of a young stud like Teixeira.....

Banned
    Yankees can afford it with all those contracts going off the books. Moose, Pavano, Giambi, and others. '

Speaking of Pavano, anyone hear that interview the other day where he said his years in NY where exhausting, exhausting? really? All 26 starts you had really wore you out? You threw 145 innings in 4 ****ing years!
    Do you know how long it will take you to make that amount of money. You'll have to work 1,000 lifetimes. The amount of money that goes out to these guys is ludicrous. It's simply unbelievable.

Hall Of Fame
    Do you know how long it will take you to make that amount of money. You'll have to work 1,000 lifetimes. The amount of money that goes out to these guys is ludicrous. It's simply unbelievable.
    Why is it ludicrous? How many people in the world can pitch like CC can?

Banned
    Can't say I don't disagree, but these guys have a gift, and they are a product..

Veteran
    Unless Sabathia decides to take less from someone else, Sabathia will be pitching in pinstripes on Opening Day, Yankees will not be out bid. There is also a pretty good chance we will outbid anyone for Burnett as well. Yankees have a lot of extra money this off season.

Sabathia
    Wang
    Burnett
    Joba
    Pettitte

Where's Hughes or Kennedy on this list? Santana > CC I don't care how much CC is offered Santana is still better...and yes I am a Yanks fan...Did we officially give up on Hughes or Kennedy?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bluffo View Post
    On paper, maybe.
    lol, no?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LSJF View Post
    Where's Hughes or Kennedy on this list? Santana > CC I don't care how much CC is offered Santana is still better...and yes I am a Yanks fan...Did we officially give up on Hughes or Kennedy?
    No, but they are obviously getting pushed back if we sign a few established starters. I don't have much faith in Kennedy, but I still believe Hughes has top starter potential. He's only 22 years old, a year in AAA might do him some good, but as we know injuries are a part of the game...

Banned
    Can't say I don't disagree, but these guys have a gift, and they are a product..
    A gift at playing a game. Listen, I love sports more then the next guy, but it's unbelievable the amount of money is paid to players, baseball especially.

Banned
    I'd rather have Sabathia + Hughes than just Santana.

Banned
    For now it appears all of last off seasons talk of a Wang-Joba-Hughes-Kennedy homegrown led staff has been put on hold. Still if Andy comes back for one more year at much cheaper money and Hughes gets another year of seasoning between AAA and spot starts with the big club, I see him as part of the rotation for years to come. Obviously he was somewhat hyped and rushed but two years of injuries ensuring he never had any uninterupted work was probably the biggest reason he looked so bad at times.

Now if the Yanks sign 2 out of CC-Burnett and Lowe I would think either Hughes or Kennedy will be traded if the right deal comes along. Kennedy may not have much value right now so he would have to be part of a package.

CC-Wang-Burnett-Joba and anyone would be some rotation. If the pen is as good as it should be, which you can never tell year to year post roids and amphetamines, the Yanks will be nasty.

My prediction is the 2009 rotation will be:

CC
    Wang
    Burnett/Lowe
    Pettitte
    Joba

And the 2010 rotation will be:

CC
    Joba
    Wang
    Burnett/Lowe
    Hughes

Between Burnett and Lowe, I'm hoping for Burnett but am fully aware that he could end up being a huge mistake. The fact that he arguably has the best stuff of anyone in baseball makes me want to take that risk.