Thread: Syracuse fires Greg Robinson

Syracuse fires Greg Robinson

SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Syracuse head coach Greg Robinson, who was hired to resurrect a faltering program and instead saw it plummet to historic lows, was fired on Sunday.

[+] EnlargeAP Photo/Kevin Rivoli

Greg Robinson's job security at Syracuse was shaky for some time. He leaves the program with nine wins just shy of four seasons.

Robinson, who had the only two 10-loss seasons in school history, was 9-35 in three-plus seasons at the helm and 3-23 in the Big East. He had another year on a contract that paid him $1.1 million per season.

Syracuse (2-8, 1-5) lost to Connecticut 39-14 Saturday night.

Athletics director Daryl Gross said Sunday he has informed Robinson he's decided "to move our football program in a new direction."

The Orange have road games remaining against Notre Dame and No. 19 Cincinnati.

Robinson's dismissal could best be described as anti-climactic. In September, Gross said the program had yet to show the "obvious progress" necessary for Robinson to keep his job beyond this season.

Last month, The New York Times reported that Gross had hired search consultant Chuck Neinas and had already reached out to Connecticut coach Randy Edsall to gauge his interest about succeeding Robinson. Edsall is a Syracuse graduate.

Robinson, whose sunny personality seems blindingly bright amid his gloomy fan base, said then he believed the Orange would win soon.

"When it happens, it doesn't gradually happen," Robinson said of success. "It explodes. We're all battling our ass off. I'm really excited about it."

Gross has waved off speculation that he will hire Lane Kiffin, the former Oakland Raiders coach who was fired in September. The two of them worked together at USC.
    Obviously inevitable, no mention of who the interim coach is however.

The question now is who will they hire.

Edsell was ambiguous about his interest earlier, but since 'clarified' his position-saying he is not interested.

Who do you get to take this job? I've heard alot about the facilities needing to be upgraded. If true, does the administration recognize this as part of the problem? I would think any candidate interested in anything more than a paycheck would sign here on the condition the facilities were brought up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    The question now is who will they hire.

Edsell was ambiguous about his interest earlier, but since 'clarified' his position-saying he is not interested.

Who do you get to take this job? I've heard alot about the facilities needing to be upgraded. If true, does the administration recognize this as part of the problem? I would think any candidate interested in anything more than a paycheck would sign here on the condition the facilities were brought up to date.
    I haven't seen Edsall clarify yet, where did you see that?

His answer to the question the other night after the game was rather ambiguous if I remember correctly. He sure didn't put any doubts to rest. Lane Kiffin is up there, but I doubt he wants to come here.

Regarding the facilities, I think a year of tangible improvement might warrant some spending there. The football team has lost money (pathetic) the last two years I believe. To get Edsall, I say it takes $1.5-$2M per year over 4 years (he makes $1.2 now) and we would probably have to buyout his contract at $1.5M. That's almost a $10M commitment for the coach alone, from a program that is losing money by the year. The facilities aren't horrendous, obviously not a major draw (although some people rave about them). Once the program generates some green ink for a year or two, they can throw some coin at the facilities.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

No link, but it was reported on one of the sports-talk stations here, probably WFAN. According to them he was "not interested."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    No link, but it was reported on one of the sports-talk stations here, probably WFAN. According to them he was "not interested."
    I read a similar article in the school paper this morning. His comments were basically the PC rap... "I'm not interested in other opportunities... I'm the coach of Connecticut... I'm preparing for next week's game..."

Not interested to me would be a little more concrete. Money talks, and Syracuse will be willing to pay.

I don't even know if I like the guy, don't know much about him... but it looks like he may very well be here in a short time.

Yes...there's a few links out there with Edsell saying 'not interested in being a candidate', but you're right. I don't believe anything 100% til the job is filled by somebody else.

Here's a local link on the latest. Fairly speculatory(blog by Donny Webb at the Post Standard), but it's something to chew on:

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootb...hrow_into.html

All Pro
    If they have some money why don't they throw it to someone proven in the college ranks like a Bowden or something. Isn't Tommy Bowden available?

They need to get a name in here that can recruit.

Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post
    If they have some money why don't they throw it to someone proven in the college ranks like a Bowden or something. Isn't Tommy Bowden available?

They need to get a name in here that can recruit.
    Not a terrible idea, certainly more experience and more successful than Edsall. I agree, the biggest thing we need is a recruiting footprint. Problem with Bowden is that he has coached his whole career at southern schools. Granted, maybe he does have some northeast recruiting ties, but I think Edsall definitely has the advantage there.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SUJets1988 View Post
    Not a terrible idea, certainly more experience and more successful than Edsall. I agree, the biggest thing we need is a recruiting footprint. Problem with Bowden is that he has coached his whole career at southern schools. Granted, maybe he does have some northeast recruiting ties, but I think Edsall definitely has the advantage there.
    you may be right but do you think recruits might change thier mind if they weighed the options and said lets see do I want to play for a edsall or a bowden........seems pretty clear to me.....