Thread: Hillary Clinton Possible Secretary of State

Hillary Clinton Possible Secretary of State

I noticed all the Sunday Morning Shows discussing this, as it was apparently made public by the Obama Administration that he was considering her for that job.

Suprised there is no thread on that development.

I'm curious what will come of the meeting between McCain and Obama tomorrow. It seems to me, Obama fancies himself as another Lincoln. You can learn a lot about a person by the books he reads, and Obama talked alot about Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin, during the campaign, which is a biography of Abraham Lincoln and the people he appointed to his cabinet.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 11-16-2008 at 07:32 PM.

[QUOTE=Tyler Durden;2865861]I'm curious what will come of the meeting between McCain and Obama tomorrow. It seems to me, Obama fancies himself as another Lincoln. You can learn a lot about a person by the books he reads, and Obama talked alot about Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin, during the campaign, which is a biography of Abraham Lincoln and the people he appointed to his cabinet.[/QUOTE]

Did Kearns Goodwin plagiarize that book? Or am I thinking of Biden?

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2865898]Did Kearns Goodwin plagiarize that book? Or am I thinking of Biden?[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, was that suppose to be amusing?

[QUOTE=Tyler Durden;2865914]I'm sorry, was that suppose to be amusing?[/QUOTE]

No, just depressing.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2865819]I noticed all the Sunday Morning Shows discussing this, as it was apparently made public by the Obama Administration that he was considering her for that job.

Suprised there is no thread on that development.[/QUOTE]

Really dumb choice if he does give her the job!

[QUOTE=asuusa;2866277]Really dumb choice if he does give her the job![/QUOTE]

Do you have a reason?

Jets Insider VIP
    At least it'll get this carpetbagger out of my state.

Obama has apparently read the old adage: "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." :D

That said, I can see some plusses and minuses to the move.

Upside: (1) She is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to world affairs and is already on a first-name basis with many world leaders. (2) She's clearly qualified. (3) Obama has talked about a "team of rivals"/Lincoln approach to building his cabinet, and this move would qualify.

Downside: (1) Bill's finances and foundation include tons of possible conflicts of interest. (2) It's a little tricky picking a secretary of state who declared repeatedly that you weren't ready to handle an international crisis. (Obviously, the folks Lincoln picked said worse stuff about him, but they didn't have YouTube in Lincoln's day, of course.) (3) She has historically been a lightening rod domestically and bringing her into the cabinet could have a polarizing effect (whether or not this matters for any practical reason at State I'm not really sure.)

[QUOTE=nuu faaola;2866838]Obama has apparently read the old adage: "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." :D

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you're not kidding. No way would the Sec. of State run against the sitting President in 2012.

Banned
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2866838]Obama has apparently read the old adage: "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." :D

That said, I can see some plusses and minuses to the move.

Upside: (1) She is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to world affairs and is already on a first-name basis with many world leaders. (2) She's clearly qualified. (3) Obama has talked about a "team of rivals"/Lincoln approach to building his cabinet, and this move would qualify.

Downside: (1) Bill's finances and foundation include tons of possible conflicts of interest. (2) It's a little tricky picking a secretary of state who declared repeatedly that you weren't ready to handle an international crisis. (Obviously, the folks Lincoln picked said worse stuff about him, but they didn't have YouTube in Lincoln's day, of course.) (3) She has historically been a lightening rod domestically and bringing her into the cabinet could have a polarizing effect (whether or not this matters for any practical reason at State I'm not really sure.)[/QUOTE]

Surprisingly a lot of Republicans seem to be in favor of Obama picking her.

Personally I actually would like to see McCain in that spot. Wouldn't that be something?

[QUOTE=sourceworx;2866853]Surprisingly a lot of Republicans seem to be in favor of Obama picking her.

Personally I actually would like to see McCain in that spot. Wouldn't that be something?[/QUOTE]

It would be something. But a lot of the foreign policy arguments during the campaign literally focused on the role of diplomacy, so McCain would be an odd choice for chief diplomat in that regard.

I suspect McCain's likely role in the Administration will be in the Senate, where he could be a point man across the aisle on an immigration or climate change bill early. There was a lot of common ground between him and Obama on those issues.

Plus, McCain will be eager to restore his "across the aisle" credentials and Obama will want an early bipartisan legislative initiative because he promised that sort of thing repeatedly during the campaign. When you run on "change," symbolism matters, and forging legislation with the guy you ran against is a good symbol.