Thread: gulf war syndrome is real

gulf war syndrome is real

[url]http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16069-gulf-war-syndrome-is-real-says-us-report.html[/url]

im sorry but you had to be a brain dead moron to believe about 200k US soldiers were lying about their dibilitating symptoms to get money.

just something else to consider when we are pre-emptively invading places, going to war has negative impacts far beyond just the money spent and the lives lost - survivors can and will have problems after the event.

I wonder what caused it.......since we KNOW Saddam had no WMD's back then, and certainly never would have used them, right?

Organophosphate nerve gas, eh? Maybe George Bush Sr. used it on his own troops, just like the younger Bush did on 9/11?

And I'm curious, did we "pre-emptively invade" Iraq in Gulf War I, or did they invade Kuwait first? Maybe the so-called Iraq Invastion of Juwait was just them asking their neighbor (courteously) if that hd any Suger, or perhaps a spare Egg, as neighbors are wont to do. I knew that War was made up fron the start!

Ah, if only the Evil Bush NeoCon Empire hadn't taken over.....the world would be a green haven of green tech-driven happiness, with sunshine and flowers and smurfs as far as the eye can see.....la la, la la la la, la la la laaaaaa.......

[QUOTE=bitonti;2869098][url]http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16069-gulf-war-syndrome-is-real-says-us-report.html[/url]

im sorry but you had to be a brain dead moron to believe about 200k US soldiers were lying about their dibilitating symptoms to get money.

[/QUOTE]

Who said that? Someone on here or was it in the news?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2869154]I wonder what caused it.......since we KNOW Saddam had no WMD's back then, and certainly never would have used them, right?

Organophosphate nerve gas, eh? Maybe George Bush Sr. used it on his own troops, just like the younger Bush did on 9/11?

And I'm curious, did we "pre-emptively invade" Iraq in Gulf War I, or did they invade Kuwait first? Maybe the so-called Iraq Invastion of Juwait was just them asking their neighbor (courteously) if that hd any Suger, or perhaps a spare Egg, as neighbors are wont to do. I knew that War was made up fron the start!

Ah, if only the Evil Bush NeoCon Empire hadn't taken over.....the world would be a green haven of green tech-driven happiness, with sunshine and flowers and smurfs as far as the eye can see.....la la, la la la la, la la la laaaaaa.......[/QUOTE]

lol...me and you have a lot in common, 'Fish.

Its the oil, everyone knows how bad it is! Just ask Al Gore!

[QUOTE=Warfish;2869154]I wonder what caused it.......since we KNOW Saddam had no WMD's back then, and certainly never would have used them, right?

Organophosphate nerve gas, eh? Maybe George Bush Sr. used it on his own troops, just like the younger Bush did on 9/11? [/quote]

It wasn't the nerve gas that caused it, it was army "pre-emptive" treatment of said gas.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2869154]

Ah, if only the Evil Bush NeoCon Empire hadn't taken over.....the world would be a green haven of green tech-driven happiness, with sunshine and flowers and smurfs as far as the eye can see.....la la, la la la la, la la la laaaaaa.......[/QUOTE]

my points are as follows - first those who said it was fake (probably not posting on the board anymore) should be ashamed of themselves, second, that if there's 200k with gulf war syndrome, how many will get gulf war II syndrome? third, we need to seriously consider the consequences before going to war. I don't think this country has truly done that since WWII. I.e. if Congress doesn't declare it officially we shouldn't go.

[QUOTE=bitonti;2869346]It wasn't the nerve gas that caused it, it was army "pre-emptive" treatment of said gas.[/quote]

So like I said, G. Bush Sr. is responsible. Right?

[QUOTE=bitonti;2869346]first those who said it was fake (probably not posting on the board anymore) should be ashamed of themselves[/quote]

Ok. I don't persoanlly recall these posters claims, but I am sure you'll link their vile and heinous comments for us all to judge.

[QUOTE=bitonti;2869346]second, that if there's 200k with gulf war syndrome, how many will get gulf war II syndrome?[/quote]

I don't know. How many? I can only assume you know, right?

I can also only assume you know what causes Gulf War II syndrome. Could you be a dear, and let the VA Docs know, so they can get a leg up on it? Thanks.

[QUOTE=bitonti;2869346]third, we need to seriously consider the consequences before going to war. I don't think this country has truly done that since WWII. I.e. if Congress doesn't declare it officially we shouldn't go.[/QUOTE]

So if Congress had declared formal War against Iraq in Gulf War I, the 200,000 U.S. troops who got Gulf War Syndrome would be ok then? You lost me here.

Are you saying no one "seriously considered" the consequences of War before Gulf War I? I'm curious, who advised the Millitary to use these pre-treatements claimed to be the cause? Was it, perhaps, doctors? or no?

I can only assume you know, as you seem so knowledgeable on this topic.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2869377]So like I said, G. Bush Sr. is responsible. Right?

Ok. I don't persoanlly recall these posters claims, but I am sure you'll link their vile and heinous comments for us all to judge.

I don't know. How many? I can only assume you know, right?

I can also only assume you know what causes Gulf War II syndrome. Could you be a dear, and let the VA Docs know, so they can get a leg up on it? Thanks.

So if Congress had declared formal War against Iraq in Gulf War I, the 200,000 U.S. troops who got Gulf War Syndrome would be ok then? You lost me here.

Are you saying no one "seriously considered" the consequences of War before Gulf War I? I'm curious, who advised the Millitary to use these pre-treatements claimed to be the cause? Was it, perhaps, doctors? or no?

I can only assume you know, as you seem so knowledgeable on this topic.[/QUOTE]

warfish maybe you have some sort of syndrome that causes extreme sarcasm.

[QUOTE=bitonti;2869382]warfish maybe you have some sort of syndrome that causes extreme sarcasm.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps so.....I think it might be from reading too many of Plumbers posts, honestly.

Still, you havn't answered my questions, have you?

[QUOTE=Warfish;2869422]
    Still, you havn't answered my questions, have you?[/QUOTE]

don't have a ton of time right now but I will say that YES people may have considered the consequences before going but they didn't consider them seriously enough.

how have all these police actions over the years helped our country? and im not talking about the people who make the bombs, altho that might be the answer to my question.

[QUOTE=bitonti;2869447]don't have a ton of time right now but I will say that YES people may have considered the consequences before going but they didn't consider them seriously enough.[/QUOTE]

No worries my friend, we're just talk'in here.

But since you mention it, who specificly (in the case of your topic, Gulf War Syndrome) "didn't consider the consequences enough"?

Bush?

The Millitary?

Or the Medical Doctors of the time?

[quote]how have all these police actions over the years helped our country? and im not talking about the people who make the bombs, altho that might be the answer to my question.[/QUOTE]

Well, we happen to agree on this issue to a point. Warfare should require a Congressional approval of the acti.....oh, wait.

Forgive me, but if the distinction of matter on this issue for you is "Did Congress Declare War" or "Did Congress Only authorize the President to Wage War", you've lost me again. Other than a few words, they mean (in the real world) exactly the same thing. Congress had their say in just about every conflict we've been involved in.

As for the good they've done, well, I would defer to someone like Equilibrium (an expert in the field). But I suppose something like "beat communism" wouldn;t mean much to you, as you have a warm spot in your heart for that economic and political system.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2869464]
    As for the good they've done, well, I would defer to someone like Equilibrium (an expert in the field). But I suppose something like "beat communism" wouldn;t mean much to you, as you have a warm spot in your heart for that economic and political system.[/QUOTE]

The case can be made we were better off with 1 huge sane enemy rather than 100 little crazy ones.

equilibrium is smart but he's often wrong. The dude might actually be Henry Kissinger, but that doesn't mean he can answer these questions satisfactorily.

oh and to further answer your question yes the buck stops with President,

deciding to stop Saddam from taking Kuwait, here's a quesiton- why should we care? morally this stuff happens all the time, the difference is we have an energy policy that trumps concerns like what about the solider's health or how can we win this war.

one might read my posts and come to the conclusion I am anti-war, that is far from the case. I'm anti-losing, and this country hasn't won one for decades.

Banned
    Warfish, it's possible that chemical weapons used by the Iraqis caused Gulf War syndrome. it's also just as possible, if not more so, that chemical agents introduced by the our military into the environment of Southern Iraq may have caused it - not an outrageous charge at all considering it has already happened at least once with Agent Orange during the Vietnam War.
    Last edited by VincenzoTestaverde; 11-18-2008 at 08:39 PM.

Don't raise my taxes. I expect us to go to war and kick azz. I don't care what happens when these guys get back. They signed up didn't they?

They injected those guys with a cocktail of things before they went -- some of the agents used (including the anti-malaria stuff) is know to be persistent in the system. Mix that with he strange environment, depleted uranium and an atmosphere of burning oil wells and you'll be waiting another decade for better theories on what specifically caused this.

[QUOTE=bitonti;2869486]oh and to further answer your question yes the buck stops with President,

deciding to stop Saddam from taking Kuwait, here's a quesiton- why should we care? morally this stuff happens all the time, the difference is we have an energy policy that trumps concerns like what about the solider's health or how can we win this war.

one might read my posts and come to the conclusion I am anti-war, that is far from the case. I'm anti-losing, and this country hasn't won one for decades.[/QUOTE]

This is ridiculous, you cannot call the Gulf War I a loss or even remotely compare it to the current war. These are two very very different situations.

The first gulf war was a success they achieved all of their goals.