Thread: Red Sox reach out to Burnett's agent, showing interest

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Red Sox reach out to Burnett's agent, showing interest

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3712873

Boston Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein spoke with A.J. Burnett's agent by phone Tuesday to express the team's interest in the free-agent right-hander, a baseball source said.

Epstein's decision to reach out and call agent Darek Braunecker was a clear sign that the Red Sox are ready to jump into the fray and compete with Toronto, the New York Yankees and several other clubs for Burnett, an 18-game winner for the Blue Jays in 2008.

Until recently, it appeared that Boston's sights were focused primarily on a free agent hitter -- most notably, first baseman Mark Teixeira. With Josh Beckett, Jon Lester, Daisuke Matsuzaka and Tim Wakefield in the rotation and Justin Masterson a candidate to move over from the bullpen, several people with knowledge of Boston's thinking had said the team wasn't interested in signing another high-priced starter.

The possibility exists that Boston is now getting involved as a ploy to drive up the price on Burnett for his other suitors -- which include three American League East rivals. But Newsday reported Tuesday that the Red Sox are now "fully engaged,'' and a source told ESPN.com that the team considers Burnett a "priority.''

"They've got a lot of balls in the air,'' the source said of the Red Sox, "but they're involved now.''

Braunecker declined to comment on Burnett's negotiations. But earlier this winter, baseball officials and agents speculated that Burnett might be seeking a contract with a higher average annual value than Jason Schmidt's three-year, $47 million deal with the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Burnett signed a five-year, $55 million contract with Toronto in December 2005, but recently exercised a contractual clause to opt out of the deal with two years and $24 million remaining.

Although a deal in the neighborhood of Carlos Zambrano's five-year, $91.5 million contract with the Chicago Cubs might seem far-fetched to many baseball executives, the number of interested suitors can only serve to drive up Burnett's price.

Along with the Yankees, Blue Jays and Red Sox, the list of Burnett's top suitors includes the Baltimore Orioles, Atlanta Braves and world champion Philadelphia Phillies.

Burnett, 31, has had injury issues in his career. But he posted an 18-10 record with a 4.07 ERA this season and established career highs with 34 starts and 221 1/3 innings.

The market for front-line starting pitchers has gotten off to a fast start. The Yankees and Milwaukee Brewers have already offered CC Sabathia long-term deals worth more than $100 million each this month. And FoxSports.com, citing two unnamed executives, reported that agent Scott Boras is seeking a "Barry Zito-type'' $18 million per year contract for 36-year-old Derek Lowe. Zito signed a seven-year, $126 million deal with the San Francisco Giants in December 2006.

Several news outlets have said the Yankees are contemplating a five-year, $80 million offer for Burnett, but those reports couldn't be confirmed. But a source said reports of Toronto making a four-year, $54 million offer to Burnett are inaccurate.

All Pro
    No surprises that the Red Sox are showing interest. I still believe the Yanks end up inking him. Hopefully it doesn't take a 5/80 deal, but we'll see.

Hall Of Fame
    The Sox will throw their name out there if only to at least to jack up the price on the Yanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    The Sox will throw their name out there if only to at least to jack up the price on the Yanks.
    I agree, but I think they do have a sincere interest.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    I agree, but I think they do have a sincere interest.
    As do I. Not that their starting rotation is in shambles, but they could use some help.

Veteran
    Read on CnnSI the Sox are going to go hard after Tex...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by gqxluvx View Post
    Read on CnnSI the Sox are going to go hard after Tex...
    Makes no sense to me. If they sign Tex, where does Youkilis play? Lowell isn't getting traded, no one wants him. And they're set in the outfield with Bay-Ellsbury-Drew. And Fathead at DH.

Banned
    If the Red Sox sign Burnett they'll have two starting pitchers who absolutely own the Yankees. That sucks.

Banned
    Makes no sense to me. If they sign Tex, where does Youkilis play? Lowell isn't getting traded, no one wants him. And they're set in the outfield with Bay-Ellsbury-Drew. And Fathead at DH.
    I don't get the Tex to Boston rumors either. The Red Sox are not trading Kevin Youkilis and they won't get equal value for Lowell. Burnett makes sense but not Texiera. This is clearly a case of Theo Epstein jacking up the price on the Yankees.

I'd love to see Tex on the Yankees but I'd much rather get Manny. 4 year contract for Manny is less risky than giving a 10 year contract to Tex plus Manny's one of the best clutch hitters in the game and right now outside of Jeter and Damon the Yankees have no clutch hitting.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    I don't get the Tex to Boston rumors either. The Red Sox are not trading Kevin Youkilis and they won't get equal value for Lowell. Burnett makes sense but not Texiera. This is clearly a case of Theo Epstein jacking up the price on the Yankees.

I'd love to see Tex on the Yankees but I'd much rather get Manny. 4 year contract for Manny is less risky than giving a 10 year contract to Tex plus Manny's one of the best clutch hitters in the game and right now outside of Jeter and Damon the Yankees have no clutch hitting.
    The Yanks aren't going after Tex or Manny. I think you're going to have to get used to that fact. It's pitching or bust.

The nightmare scenario that might be playing out here is this:

Boston offers Burnett a huge contract and he takes it and runs. Afterwards, Sabathia rejects the Yanks and goes to play out west. The Yankees are stuck only signing Lowe.

Ouch.

Banned
    The Yanks aren't going after Tex or Manny. I think you're going to have to get used to that fact. It's pitching or bust.

The nightmare scenario that might be playing out here is this:

Boston offers Burnett a huge contract and he takes it and runs. Afterwards, Sabathia rejects the Yanks and goes to play out west. The Yankees are stuck only signing Lowe.

Ouch.
    Hank Steinbrenner apparently wants Manny and it's his money.

I wouldn't be surprised if your nightmare scenario came true. Boston has more than enough money to sign Burnett and CC apparently wants to go to California.

Veteran
    While Tex to Bos doesn't seem to be a fit, maybe Lowell's hip is worse than expected? That's the only thought I can come up with...

I would love Manny for a short deal..but I don't think Boras will do that..and we would have to move a DH/OF player to make room..

CC is a must sign..if he doesn't then it will be a bad off season...if he really wants to play out west and leaves 2-30 mill on the table what can you do?

I am not high on Burnett but you can't argue with his stuff..if they don't sign CC then I would rather have Lowe than Burnett...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    Hank Steinbrenner apparently wants Manny and it's his money.

I wouldn't be surprised if your nightmare scenario came true. Boston has more than enough money to sign Burnett and CC apparently wants to go to California.
    Hank Steinbrenner has a loud mouth with the media, but little real say on baseball decisions. Hal and Brian are running the show, and they're letting Hank run his mouth as the perfect diversion.

Hall Of Fame
    While Tex to Bos doesn't seem to be a fit, maybe Lowell's hip is worse than expected? That's the only thought I can come up with...

I would love Manny for a short deal..but I don't think Boras will do that..and we would have to move a DH/OF player to make room..

CC is a must sign..if he doesn't then it will be a bad off season...if he really wants to play out west and leaves 2-30 mill on the table what can you do?

I am not high on Burnett but you can't argue with his stuff..if they don't sign CC then I would rather have Lowe than Burnett...
    Only signing Lowe accomplishes nothing. He wouldn't even fill Mussina's shoes from last year.

Without Sabathia, the Yankees are still the 3rd best team in the division, and even if they are able to sneak in the playoffs, the rotation isn't good enough to take them deep in them.

Banned

So far the offers I've heard that Manny has been getting offered are all 2-3 year deals for less money than he's asking. What I heard on WFAN was that Boras originally wanted 4 years $100 mil. Sounds like a lot for a guy who is a loose cannon and 36 years old but that's actually a less risky contract and cheaper than the 10 years $200 mil it would take to get Tex.

Moving a DH/OF is an after-thought Cashman could take care of.

I definitely agree with you about CC. Especially after missing out on Santana last year. Lowe is less risky than Burnett though I wouldn't have a problem with either one of them.

Veteran
    Only signing Lowe accomplishes nothing. He wouldn't even fill Mussina's shoes from last year.

Without Sabathia, the Yankees are still the 3rd best team in the division, and even if they are able to sneak in the playoffs, the rotation isn't good enough to take them deep in them.
    I agree Guido, BUT if we were not to sign CC..I have more faith in Lowe handling the pressure than Burnett

if we were to sign CC then also sign Burnett he will have less pressure than if he was our only FA pitching signing..just my opinion..AJ has great stuff and might be great...but im still not 100% sold..