Thread: Report: Mets' Heilman wants starting spot or trade

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Report: Mets' Heilman wants starting spot or trade

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3714657

Aaron Heilman, who had more than 20 starts for the New York Mets before moving to the bullpen in 2006, wants to get back into the starting rotation.

If that doesn't happen, Heilman's agent says, then the pitcher would like to go somewhere where he can be a starter again.

"The object the entire time has never been to get out of New York," Heilman's agent, Mark Rodgers, told the New York Daily News. "The object is to get out of the bullpen. The most success he's ever had as a pitcher has been as a starting pitcher. He was drafted by the Mets as a starting pitcher."

The Daily News reported that Mets front-office personnel are divided about what to do with Heilman, with Jeff Wilpon, the team's chief operating officer, in favor of keeping him.

"The objective is not to be traded," Rodgers told the newspaper. "The objective is to get out of the bullpen."

But a Mets team official told the Daily News on Wednesday that the Mets are maintaining their stance of keeping Heilman, 30, as a reliever, regardless of how many established starters they might have.

Heilman, drafted out of Notre Dame in 2001, made 25 starts from 2003 to 2005, going 5-13 with a 5.93 ERA. In 2006, however, he was moved to the bullpen, where he has served as a set-up man. Last season, he finished 3-8 with a 5.21 ERA, with five blown saves, and gave up 44 earned runs, the most in his three seasons as a reliever.

Practice Squad
    Heilman, drafted out of Notre Dame in 2001, made 25 starts from 2003 to 2005, going 5-13 with a 5.93 ERA
    Those stats are the reason he isn't a starting pitcher. Last year he couldn't even get the side out in relief, why would we start him to get in a 5 run hole from the outset?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by mudcat21 View Post
    Those stats are the reason he isn't a starting pitcher. Last year he couldn't even get the side out in relief, why would we start him to get in a 5 run hole from the outset?
    He did get better after they changed his arm angle.

In 05, he threw a one hitter against Florida.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    He did get better after they changed his arm angle.

In 05, he threw a one hitter against Florida.
    Honestly, I wouldn't be necessairily opposed to letting him compete with people like Niese and Parnell for the 5th starter spot (As long as the Mets keep/upgrade over Perez), but the Mets seem to have no interest in such a scenario.

He seems almost guaranteed to be traded, hopefully we get something decent in return. I'm a little skeptical that Heilman can be a large part of a trade for someone like Street, but you never know.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Honestly, I wouldn't be necessairily opposed to letting him compete with people like Niese and Parnell for the 5th starter spot (As long as the Mets keep/upgrade over Perez), but the Mets seem to have no interest in such a scenario.

He seems almost guaranteed to be traded, hopefully we get something decent in return. I'm a little skeptical that Heilman can be a large part of a trade for someone like Street, but you never know.
    +1 i ve said it here before, if i was runnin the Mets, Heilman gets a shot at the 5 spot or he is traded thats it, he doesnt want to be a reliever nor does he have the mental make up for it. I honestly think he would do well as a starter. He has decent stuff just he is a nervous reck. If the mets have no intention of starting him eat your losses and move on. After the last two years of missin the playoffs the way we did, there is no way a guy like heilman can come out of the pen again in flushing

All Pro
    If I was the Mets I would give him a shot at the rotation. I always thought he could be a decent starter. The extra motivation might help him a little as well. I also think he could give more value as a starter than what type of player he would bring in return. That being said, I think the Mets end up trading him.

Hall Of Fame
    What makes Aaron Heilman think he's in a position to demand anything?

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    Let him demand a trade to the Phillies.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by mudcat21 View Post
    He should have been given a shot to start in 07, at this point I think that ship has sailed though. Time for him to go elsewhere.

Hall Of Fame
    this is long overdue....give the guy a shot.....they mets have not done right by this guy if you ask me.

All League
    Cut him loose, the guy has been a colossal disappointment time after time. Nothing but a tease, incapable of putting together more than 6 months of good pitching at a time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    He stinks. I guess all Mets players let the New York hype get to their head. Joba Chamberlain is 1000X the pitcher Heilman is and he's been nothing but patient and classy with the Yankees' indecisiveness with him.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Icer View Post
    Cut him loose, the guy has been a colossal disappointment time after time. Nothing but a tease, incapable of putting together more than 6 months of good pitching at a time.
    you are entitled to your opinion...but i don't agree.

We drafted him out of ND as a successful starter (i think he had something like 1 loss and a 1+ era his senior year)....first thing we did was **** with his delivery, then we get him back on track some time later, switch him to his natural motion....throw him a start...and what does he do? throw a 1 hitter vs Josh Beckett and a decent Marlins team in 2005 (i was there, it was an electric game). So now we go to him and say hey Aaron, we need a setup guy real bad...take one for the team....which he DOES.

So here we are 3 years later, Heilman doesn't seem to have value to us anymore as a reliever...lets give the guy a shot. Without Ollie and Pedro we are gunna need a starter or 2 or 3 for that matter. As far as the bullpen goes, its pretty obvious we are going to either overpay for a closer or trade for one, and Ayala, Sanchez, Felliciano, Smith, and the rest of the pen should be able to hold it down. I for one would love to see what Kuntz can do next year.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    you are entitled to your opinion...but i don't agree.

We drafted him out of ND as a successful starter (i think he had something like 1 loss and a 1+ era his senior year)....first thing we did was **** with his delivery, then we get him back on track some time later, switch him to his natural motion....throw him a start...and what does he do? throw a 1 hitter vs Josh Beckett and a decent Marlins team in 2005 (i was there, it was an electric game). So now we go to him and say hey Aaron, we need a setup guy real bad...take one for the team....which he DOES.

So here we are 3 years later, Heilman doesn't seem to have value to us anymore as a reliever...lets give the guy a shot. Without Ollie and Pedro we are gunna need a starter or 2 or 3 for that matter. As far as the bullpen goes, its pretty obvious we are going to either overpay for a closer or trade for one, and Ayala, Sanchez, Felliciano, Smith, and the rest of the pen should be able to hold it down. I for one would love to see what Kuntz can do next year.
    You can make the excuses for Heilman but at the end of the day he's a mediocre pitcher. He's like the Mets version of Hughes/Kennedy except he's been in the league alot longer and had more chances. Mets fans have a tendency to overrate their own players and Heilman is quickly becoming a big example of that.

Mets are better off resigning Perez and getting another free agent to be the 5th starter and kicking Heilman out of town.