Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Yankees: Sabathia offer won't be on table 'forever'

  1. #1
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,458

    Yankees: Sabathia offer won't be on table 'forever'

    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3716104


    NEW YORK -- CC Sabathia will have a deadline to accept the New York Yankees' contract proposal.

    "We've made him an offer. It's not going to be there forever," Hal Steinbrenner said Thursday after he was approved as the team's new controlling owner during a meeting at Major League Baseball headquarters.

    New York offered a six-year contract to the pitcher last Friday, the first day teams were allowed to start talking money with free agents. The proposal exceeds Johan Santana's $137.5 million, six-year contract with the New York Mets both in total and average, a baseball official familiar with the negotiations said. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to divulge details.

    Greg Genske, Sabathia's agent, did not return a telephone message seeking comment.

    The Yankees are also interested in pitchers A.J. Burnett and Derek Lowe. While the team has discussed parameters of contracts for the pair, it had not made formal offers.

    Following the end of its streak of 13 consecutive playoff appearances, New York intends to make a major push for starting pitching. Mike Mussina announced his retirement Thursday, and the team intends to add several starters to a rotation that includes holdovers Chien-Ming Wang and Joba Chamberlain.

    Andy Pettitte has said he wants to return, but the Yankees want him to take a cut from his $16 million salary last season.

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,932
    I am getting a strange feeling that he is not going to sign with us..

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,240
    It's there forever.

    At this point Sabathia is trying to start a bidding war since I'm sure hes hearing the Yankees will outbid anything.

    Maybe he can get one of the teams he wants to play for to match the 140 but the Yankees would just blow that away as well. Sabathia is either going to have to play for the Yankees or piss the players union off.

  4. #4
    No one is going to match that $140 mil contract. I heard the Dodgers offer comes "Nowhere close" to the Yankees offer. Its about is CC going to take a discount to play near home, or is he going to use this time to make the money. I don't understand his need to play for a discount. He can spend his 6 years here in NY then take a discount with a Cal team to finish his career. He'll be good still probably at 34 yrs old when he would be a FA again. Right now CC should be focused on getting his monster contract as this will be the last one he gets. This is the perfect chance for him to really set himself up for life.

    The hold up is CC said he will make a decision after Thanksgiving I heard. He wants to hear all the offers first. I think the MOST that can be offered is a $120 mil contract. The teams that are in this aren't exactly rich teams.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,192
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    No one is going to match that $140 mil contract. I heard the Dodgers offer comes "Nowhere close" to the Yankees offer. Its about is CC going to take a discount to play near home, or is he going to use this time to make the money. I don't understand his need to play for a discount. He can spend his 6 years here in NY then take a discount with a Cal team to finish his career. He'll be good still probably at 34 yrs old when he would be a FA again. Right now CC should be focused on getting his monster contract as this will be the last one he gets. This is the perfect chance for him to really set himself up for life.

    The hold up is CC said he will make a decision after Thanksgiving I heard. He wants to hear all the offers first. I think the MOST that can be offered is a $120 mil contract. The teams that are in this aren't exactly rich teams.
    Just depends on the guy. I can't fault the guy for getting max $$. But, if he's offered say 110 million to play in a place he feels he'd be happier, I can't fault him for that either. I mean, it is over 100 MILLION dollars. he'll be OK financially either way.

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Monmouth County
    Posts
    2,137
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Just depends on the guy. I can't fault the guy for getting max $$. But, if he's offered say 110 million to play in a place he feels he'd be happier, I can't fault him for that either. I mean, it is over 100 MILLION dollars. he'll be OK financially either way.
    I agree, yes it is 30mm more but seriously, he would still be getting 110mm guaranteed. I would take that to live where I want to. There is only so much money you can spend in a lifetime. Also, the cost of living in NYC is much higher so the difference is less than 30mm.

  7. #7
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    410
    We've made him an offer. It's not going to be there forever
    So what's the deadline? Why mention a deadline if you aren't going to specify when?

  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,979
    Quote Originally Posted by gqxluvx View Post
    I am getting a strange feeling that he is not going to sign with us..
    What part of "he wasn't interested" before the deal made you think that?

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,099
    Quote Originally Posted by mudcat21 View Post
    So what's the deadline? Why mention a deadline if you aren't going to specify when?
    There is no deadline. Are the Yankees going to say "No, you took too long" if he comes back and wants it in a week or so? They at least want to see which way he's leaning so they can make a more educated play for Burnett and Lowe.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,099
    Why doesn't the Yankee brass take him around the city for a day? Pull the ol' Woody. Is he single? Let him go out with Jeter and Robby tonight...

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,537
    I'm nervous too. I'm thinking he's bidding the West Coast teams up as high as they'll go. Then he'll end up taking whatever that is, even if it is less than what the Yanks are offering.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    I'm nervous too. I'm thinking he's bidding the West Coast teams up as high as they'll go. Then he'll end up taking whatever that is, even if it is less than what the Yanks are offering.
    If a west coast team gets up to $125M+ or so, I think we're screwed. I'm definitely nervous about it. Nightmare scenario, CC goes out west and the Sox nab Burnett. Hal would be on the phone with Moose in a NY minute.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hoboken
    Posts
    7,629
    I've got a bad feeling about how this is going to play out. That's all I'll say right now.

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,537
    Quote Originally Posted by SUJets1988 View Post
    If a west coast team gets up to $125M+ or so, I think we're screwed. I'm definitely nervous about it. Nightmare scenario, CC goes out west and the Sox nab Burnett. Hal would be on the phone with Moose in a NY minute.
    Moose won't change his mind. If that happens, we'll be screwed and 2009 will look a lot like 2008.

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,725
    The whole "this offer won't stay on the table forever" thing really worked out for the Yankees last year....



    That front office in the Bronx has been doing some wierd things these past few years.

  16. #16
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Parsippany, NJ
    Posts
    3,705
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    . This is the perfect chance for him to really set himself up for life.

    The hold up is CC said he will make a decision after Thanksgiving I heard. He wants to hear all the offers first. I think the MOST that can be offered is a $120 mil contract. The teams that are in this aren't exactly rich teams.
    So if he settles for $120 mil from a team he'd rather player for is he not set for life? He could sign a 1 year contract and still be set for life.

  17. #17
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by mudcat21 View Post
    So what's the deadline? Why mention a deadline if you aren't going to specify when?
    The deadline is the beginning of the season. The Yankee organization is very cute when they set 'deadlines". Look what the A-rod deadline accomplished. CC, clearly wants to play out west, preferably in the NL. My guess is he is hoping someone steps up and comes close to the yankee offer
    Last edited by Zeebers; 11-21-2008 at 06:55 PM.

  18. #18
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Monmouth County
    Posts
    2,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeebers View Post
    The deadline is the beginning of the season. The Yankee organization is very cute very they set 'deadlines". Look what the A-rod deadline accomplished. CC, clearly wants to play out west, preferably in the AL. My guess is he is hoping someone steps up and comes close to the yankee offer
    Actually he prefers the NL so he can hit.

  19. #19
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadLover View Post
    Actually he prefers the NL so he can hit.
    It's true, typo. LAD or SF are his preferred destination.

  20. #20
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    410
    I don't see SF going for him after the Zito debacle.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us