Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Obama's weekly address (Announces plan to create 2.5 million jobs)

Obama's weekly address (Announces plan to create 2.5 million jobs)

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m17pz0R_qZo[/url]
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 11-22-2008 at 02:35 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    All a bunch of feel-good crap talk. Nothing more.

[QUOTE=sackdance99;2874460]All a bunch of feel-good crap talk. Nothing more.[/QUOTE]

That feel good crap might put some confidence in the market, something it desperately needs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Oh yeah, well I'm going to create 3 million jobs.

Does everyone feel a little better now?

[QUOTE=jetstream23;2874494]Oh yeah, well I'm going to create 3 million jobs.

Does everyone feel a little better now?[/QUOTE]

Obama has a plan, which he stated in the video, what's yours?

So much for giving the guy a fighting chance.

[QUOTE=Tyler Durden;2874499]Obama has a plan, which he stated in the video, what's yours?

So much for giving the guy a fighting chance.[/QUOTE]

What's his plan? Tell me what his plan is cause he didn't.

That's like saying you are going to turn water into wine without explaining how.

Well, water into wine would be cool but how are you going to do it??

Obama is the spitting image of Herm..all rah rah rah and feel good rhetoric with no substance.

[QUOTE=NYJetsro71;2874505]What's his plan? Tell me what his plan is cause he didn't.

That's like saying you are going to turn water into wine without explaining how.

Well, water into wine would be cool but how are you going to do it??

Obama is the spitting image of Herm..all rah rah rah and feel good rhetoric with no substance.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, because he's black and can speak the English language.. therefore he's just like another black person who can speak the English language. Do you realize how stupid and ignorant you sound?

Thank God we didn't elect McCain, we might have had the senile Joe Gibbs running the country. :rolleyes: Yeah.. that's how ridiculous you sound.

[QUOTE]We’ll put people back to work rebuilding our crumbling roads and bridges, modernizing schools that are failing our children, and building wind farms and solar panels; fuel-efficient cars and the alternative energy technologies that can free us from our dependence on foreign oil and keep our economy competitive in the years ahead.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 11-22-2008 at 04:26 PM.

[QUOTE]We’ll put people back to work rebuilding our crumbling roads and bridges,[/QUOTE]

Where? And how is this going to be paid for? Toll hikes? Increased taxation? Or is this going to be done by state governments?

[QUOTE]modernizing schools that are failing our children,[/QUOTE]

By...fixing leaks and getting new desks? What jobs can you create from this? Here's a hint, the public schools are failing because of a lack of school choice and a closed shop system that the teacher's unions enforce. Obama talked about merit pay and charter schools, but that is legislation to change policy not an agent of job creation.

[QUOTE]and building wind farms and solar panels;[/QUOTE]

This is done in factories, where plenty of people already work, what is Obama going to do here that isn't being done already? If people want solar panels on their houses they'll buy them, if solar power is a cost effective alternative to other forms of energy production then it will be tapped. How does this create jobs?

[QUOTE]fuel-efficient cars and the alternative energy technologies that can free us from our dependence on foreign oil and keep our economy competitive in the years ahead.[/QUOTE]

If Obama was the CEO of General Motors then he could do this but how is he going to make fuel-efficient cars as the head of state? Carbon emission caps? Fuel efficiency standards? This doesn't employ the unemployed.

[QUOTE=XingDaorong;2874514]Where? And how is this going to be paid for? Toll hikes? Increased taxation? Or is this going to be done by state governments?

By...fixing leaks and getting new desks? What jobs can you create from this? Here's a hint, the public schools are failing because of a lack of school choice and a closed shop system that the teacher's unions enforce. Obama talked about merit pay and charter schools, but that is legislation to change policy not an agent of job creation.

This is done in factories, where plenty of people already work, what is Obama going to do here that isn't being done already? If people want solar panels on their houses they'll buy them, if solar power is a cost effective alternative to other forms of energy production then it will be tapped. How does this create jobs?

If Obama was the CEO of General Motors then he could do this but how is he going to make fuel-efficient cars as the head of state? Carbon emission caps? Fuel efficiency standards? This doesn't employ the unemployed.[/QUOTE]

Good questions, and I'm sure we'll know the answers and all the details to these plans in the coming months and years.

By the way, I belive Obama is having an press conference on Monday with his economic team.

[QUOTE=Tyler Durden;2874516]Good questions, and I'm sure we'll know the answers and all the details to these plans in the coming months and years.[/QUOTE]

What's bothering me is this continuing trend of politicians who talk in nuances and leave policymaking up to their cronies. When Harry Truman saw waste in the defense sector during World War II he led a Congressional investigation personally and saved the taxpayers millions (billions by today's standards), when Ronald Reagan took office he saw the Soviet Union still standing and did everything within his power to eradicate communism during his eight year term through proxy wars, diplomacy, and covert intervention. Today's crop of "leaders" speak in generalities and don't tell their constituents exactly what they are going to do, hopefully Barrack Obama knows what he's doing or has a halfway decent cabinet.

[QUOTE=XingDaorong;2874523]What's bothering me is this continuing trend of politicians who talk in nuances and leave policymaking up to their cronies. When Harry Truman saw waste in the defense sector during World War II he led a Congressional investigation personally and saved the taxpayers millions (billions by today's standards), when Ronald Reagan took office he saw the Soviet Union still standing and did everything within his power to eradicate communism during his eight year term through proxy wars, diplomacy, and covert intervention. Today's crop of "leaders" speak in generalities and don't tell their constituents exactly what they are going to do, hopefully Barrack Obama knows what he's doing or has a halfway decent cabinet.[/QUOTE]

Give this a read from right leaning Weekly Standard.

[url]http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/015/363utibo.asp[/url]

[QUOTE=Tyler Durden;2874533]Give this a read from right leaning Weekly Standard.

[url]http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/015/363utibo.asp[/url][/QUOTE]

Every politician in America is "pro-free market" when you exclude things like tariffs, handouts, and programs that help their constituents (buy votes); and these two are going to be a small part of Obama's economic plan, but will most likely be drowned out by the inevitable majority of anti-market party liners that will be appointed, sort of like Colin Powell against Rumsfeld, Cheney, and Tenet before the Iraq War.

[QUOTE=Tyler Durden;2874499]Obama has a plan, which he stated in the video, what's yours?

Govt doesn't create jobs...consumers do! How many folks making 8-track tape players or IBM selectric typewriters? Zip!! Why? No demand for them!

A company's sales drop and eventually layoffs happen or vice versa!

How is he going to get folks to buy some alternative fuel auto if it costs them more than gasoline? It takes 10 years to replace just 50% of vehicles so the best he can do is get a few thousand AF cars on the road in 2 yrs unless he's gonna give $5K govt rebates to get folks to buy them!

Flex-fuel cars are a joke! Today the cost of E85 is only 20cents less than gas which means it costs you 17% more/mile than using gas. Who's gonna be that stupid? Sure lots of folks could afford higher fuel costs, but I bet most wouldn't use E85 instead of gas if they had a FF auto!

[QUOTE=Tyler Durden;2874509]Yeah, because he's black and can speak the English language.. therefore he's just like another black person who can speak the English language. Do you realize how stupid and ignorant you sound?

Thank God we didn't elect McCain, we might have had the senile Joe Gibbs running the country. :rolleyes: Yeah.. that's how ridiculous you sound.[/QUOTE]

Haha relax buddy..I compared him to Herm because both talk up a good game but that means nothing. It's all about results and Obama didn't show me a concrete plan to deliver in that little address.

"I'm going to create 2.5 million jobs" - Wow, awesome, but how? Are you going to poop them out? Are we all going to do landscaping at the white house?

"We need both cooperation from Republicans and Democrats" Ok, but again, HOW? During your time in the Senate you voted far left on every single issue. How are you going to get the Republicans to sign on to that?

I could pick out more excerpts but I don't want to listen to another "You play to win the game" speech.

And you don't have to pull the black card. Obama is a mortal and he can be scrutinized and criticized just like every elected official. That's what makes America great. His ass isn't made out of candy and you aren't his boyfriend.

And I didn't vote for McCain either. I guess he would have been a Jim Mora because they're both funny when they flip out :yes:

Yea the plan is tax and spend. Which will cause a financial crisis that will much worse then this!

Jets Insider VIP

He'll get a chance, believe me. And he is fortunate that he'll probably take office when the numbers for this economy can't be much worse. His comps will be incredible. If in 4 years he can't say that Unemployment is lower than when he took office and the stock is at least 30% higher then he'll have some splainin' to do!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan;2874883]Yea the plan is tax and spend. Which will cause a financial crisis that will much worse then this![/QUOTE]

I don't think he'll touch taxes for at least a year. He could prove me wrong but I honestly think that even a liberal like Obama has to hear the voice of reason.

[QUOTE=jetstream23;2874977]I don't think he'll touch taxes for at least a year. He could prove me wrong but I honestly think that even a liberal like Obama has to hear the voice of reason.[/QUOTE]

How will he create jobs? The money has to come from somewhere.

Obama is so full of it. I will believe it when I see it. How did this guy get elected?