Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Obama's weekly address (Announces plan to create 2.5 million jobs)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2883711]Give it up, Tyler. These guys will never ever give Obama credit for anything he does. Period. Gates was an excellent choice. There are very very few who think otherwise on both sides of the aisle. THat in itself is change. Obama is actually making a decision based on rational assessment instead of blind ideology. If that means taking the guy who worked for the Republican president, so be it. And BB knows damn well that a quality defense secretary who knows the turf and has a handle on it is infinitely better than a new guy, however competent, who has a learning curve to overcome. Time is critical in Iraq.[/QUOTE]At one point, Gates did not have Fed experience. Man, we better find the fountain of youth before he dies or we're all doomed.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Obama has a chance to be a good president, but please, can Obama supporters not immediately bring up the race card whenever someone questions Obama? Race is not an issue. Nobody gives a sh*t what color he is - as shown by the results of this election.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a couple of my thoughts to answer your questions.

[QUOTE=XingDaorong;2874514]Where? And how is this going to be paid for? Toll hikes? Increased taxation? Or is this going to be done by state governments?.[/QUOTE]
    He is going to borrow the money. Just like President Bush did to pay for his war in Iraq.

[QUOTE=XingDaorong;2874514]
    By...fixing leaks and getting new desks? What jobs can you create from this? Here's a hint, the public schools are failing because of a lack of school choice and a closed shop system that the teacher's unions enforce. Obama talked about merit pay and charter schools, but that is legislation to change policy not an agent of job creation..[/QUOTE]
    Construction workers repair and build schools. Factory workers make desks. therefore new jobs. If President-elect Obama is smart he will come down on the teachers unions. Only a Democratic President can do that. In order to do this he may need to hand out some carrots while using the stick.

This is done in factories, where plenty of people already work, what is Obama going to do here that isn't being done already? If people want solar panels on their houses they'll buy them, if solar power is a cost effective alternative to other forms of energy production then it will be tapped. How does this create jobs?.[/QUOTE]
    Sounds to me like the Government is going to subsidize the solar industry this will create jobs. It may also make electricity cheaper in the US than it is for our competiters.

If Obama was the CEO of General Motors then he could do this but how is he going to make fuel-efficient cars as the head of state? Carbon emission caps? Fuel efficiency standards? This doesn't employ the unemployed.[/QUOTE]
    The Federal government owns and uses thousands of automobiles. Many of these cars travel less than 50 miles per day. If the Government was to put out a contract for thousands of electric powered cars the the world automakers would start to build them AGAIN.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]He is going to borrow the money. Just like President Bush did to pay for his war in Iraq.[/QUOTE]

Okay...I don't see what Iraq has to do with a job creation plan but thanks for that contribution. If Obama plans to borrow money to pay for this infrastructure development then won't we go into greater debt? Considering that he said we shouldn't worry about the deficit during his first term I'd imagine so.

[QUOTE]Construction workers repair and build schools. Factory workers make desks. therefore new jobs. If President-elect Obama is smart he will come down on the teachers unions. Only a Democratic President can do that. In order to do this he may need to hand out some carrots while using the stick.[/QUOTE]

That is going to create hundreds of thousands of new jobs? Couldn't you, I don't know...hire existing contractors who need more work or instead not spend money repairing sh*tty schools that under perform and use the money on things that work like vouchers to private or charter schools?

[QUOTE]Sounds to me like the Government is going to subsidize the solar industry this will create jobs. It may also make electricity cheaper in the US than it is for our competiters.[/QUOTE]

Spending billions of dollars on something to artificially deflate the costs of energy production will save money and will create new jobs? Only liberals...:rolleyes:

[QUOTE]The Federal government owns and uses thousands of automobiles. Many of these cars travel less than 50 miles per day. If the Government was to put out a contract for thousands of electric powered cars the the world automakers would start to build them AGAIN.[/QUOTE]

This is getting ridiculous. Why would we put up billions of taxpayer dollars to buy electric cars that aren't competitive or practical and even then how would this create jobs? It would preserve existing jobs in failing industries and would be extremely wasteful, not that fiscal responsibility was ever a part of our government...

Either way people need to get this save the Earth bs out of their heads, because if global warming is man-made and all of Al Gore's predictions are correct then there is no way we can stop it. China, India, Brazil, and the rest of the world are industrializing on gas and coal and will pollute the world exponentially faster than the West can clean it up. Even if all carbon emissions off set right at this moment the greenhouse gases trapped in our atmosphere will not clear for another fifty years. In short, we should "go green" if it leads to our own benefit, not to pursue some environmentalist pipe dream.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=XingDaorong;2884549]Okay...I don't see what Iraq has to do with a job creation plan but thanks for that contribution..[/QUOTE]

I love how republicans just blow off the spending on the Iraq war. OMG OMG OMG! How is Obama gonna pay for stuff! OMG! The same way Bush paid for the war.

Well, what does that have to do with anything. I know we shipped millions and millions in cash on pallets to crooked Iraqi officials and terrorists. I know we spent $1,000,000 every ten minutes for the past half decade...but the view I have with my head firmly up my ass is awesome. nothing bothers me.

[QUOTE]In short, we should "go green" if it leads to our own benefit, not to pursue some environmentalist pipe dream.[/QUOTE]

Run a generator in your bedroom tonight when you go to sleep...and then get back to me about how it's all a pipe dream. Do it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]I love how republicans just blow off the spending on the Iraq war. OMG OMG OMG! How is Obama gonna pay for stuff! OMG! The same way Bush paid for the war.[/QUOTE]

Who said I was blowing off the cost of the Iraq War? I was pointing out that Iraq is completely irrelevant in this discussion considering that it is about job creation.

[QUOTE]Well, what does that have to do with anything. I know we shipped millions and millions in cash on pallets to crooked Iraqi officials and terrorists. I know we spent $1,000,000 every ten minutes for the past half decade...but the view I have with my head firmly up my ass is awesome. nothing bothers me.[/QUOTE]

And we won Plumber, Iraq could have been another Vietnam where our enemies took control and slaughtered everyone who opposed them but that won't happen. I'm not going to justify going into Iraq, because you can't in hindsight, but the end result was a success no matter how liberals want to slice it.

[QUOTE]Run a generator in your bedroom tonight when you go to sleep...and then get back to me about how it's all a pipe dream. Do it.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but if you think that this country "going green" will save the planet I feel sorry for you, because that's as delusional a statement as one could make. China and India have two-fifths, or 2.5 billion of the world's population and they are industrializing on the same dirty, pollutant forms of energy that the West did in the 1800s. They are putting millions of cars on the road every year with cheaper production costs and the growth of their middle class and we, the 'enlightened' masses in the West are going to stop that? We can't. There's no way in hell that we are going to stop global warming if it is man made because other countries are putting their economic needs and wants before internationalism or environmentalism like we did and they are not going to stop. We can break our dependence on oil, but the remainder will be consumed by the developing world who need cheap energy to industrialize. I'm not a global warming 'skeptic', I'm just being realistic about this.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2883711]Give it up, Tyler. These guys will never ever give Obama credit for anything he does. [/QUOTE]

Did you guys ever give W any credit for anything?

[QUOTE]
    Gates was an excellent choice. There are very very few who think otherwise on both sides of the aisle. THat in itself is change.[/QUOTE]
    Both sides of the aisle thought W's choice of Colin Powell for SoS was great too, so was that "change" as well?
    [QUOTE]
    Obama is actually making a decision based on rational assessment instead of blind ideology. If that means taking the guy who worked for the Republican president, so be it.[/QUOTE]
    W chose Mineta, a 'rat, for his '00 cabinet and kept Tenent as CIA director so did he make a decisions "based on rational assessment instead of blind ideology" too? I bet you don't think W made any rational assessments, right?
    [QUOTE]
    And BB knows damn well that a quality defense secretary who knows the turf and has a handle on it is infinitely better than a new guy, however competent, who has a learning curve to overcome. Time is critical in Iraq.[/QUOTE]

Funny, when someone talked about BO's lack of experience compared to McC, that was just laughed off as nonsense, so why not have real "change" and put all lefty rookies like himself in cabinet positions?

Who are his picks so far:
    Daschle
    Geithner
    Jones
    Clinton??
    Gates
    Napolitano
    Holder
    Axelrod

I wonder if J.Jackson is waiting for a call from BO? Or is he still wishing he could cut his n-ts off?

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=XingDaorong;2885197]Who said I was blowing off the cost of the Iraq War? I was pointing out that Iraq is completely irrelevant in this discussion considering that it is about job creation.[/QUOTE]

Is the money we spend in Iraq any different than the money we will use to attempt to get the economy going again?

No.

Just one of those two expenditures will help the economy and the other pays to leave american goods in the streets and deserts of Iraq.

[QUOTE=XingDaorong;2885197]
    [B]And we won Plumber[/B], Iraq could have been another Vietnam where our enemies took control and slaughtered everyone who opposed them but that won't happen. I'm not going to justify going into Iraq, because you can't in hindsight, but the end result was a success no matter how liberals want to slice it. .[/QUOTE]

Once our military leaves you think the old grudges will be forgotten?
    You think the new hunger for power will be gone?
    If so you are dreaming. In order to keep the peace in Iraq we paid off the Sunni's in Anbar with weapons and training and we segragated the cities of Iraq by building walls. All these folks who want power in Iraq know a day of reckoning is going to come just as soon as our troops leave. They are biding their time and sharpening their knives.

[QUOTE=XingDaorong;2885197]
    China and India have two-fifths, or 2.5 billion of the world's population and they are industrializing on the same dirty, pollutant forms of energy that the West did in the 1800s.[/QUOTE]

So my neighbor allows his dog to crap in the street and he does not clean it up so I should do the same?

The fact of the matter is the many governing bodies in the USA play a large roll in our economy. You may not like this but it is a fact. They all spend a great deal of money paying salaries, hiring contractors and buying goods. With the current economic downturn the private sectors of the economy are sitting on the money the have. In order for the economy to grow again someone has to spend some cash. The only sector that can do this in spite of the market indicating that one should hold their money is the government.

That is what the Obama administration plans on doing.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2874494]Oh yeah, well I'm going to create 3 million jobs.

Does everyone feel a little better now?[/QUOTE]

You suck, I am going for FIVE!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance99;2874460]All a bunch of feel-good crap talk. Nothing more.[/QUOTE]

agreed....... and where is this magical money coming from? Why of course, all those middle class slobs with jobs who continue to carry the burden. Makes no diff who is at the helm folks. No fresh ideas, all the same old names resurfacing on the cabinet. Play it again Sam.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;2886519]
    The fact of the matter is the many governing bodies in the USA play a large roll in our economy. You may not like this but it is a fact. They all spend a great deal of money paying salaries, hiring contractors and buying goods. With the current economic downturn the private sectors of the economy are sitting on the money the have. In order for the economy to grow again someone has to spend some cash. The only sector that can do this in spite of the market indicating that one should hold their money is the government.

That is what the Obama administration plans on doing.[/QUOTE]

But isn't that like paying my mortgage by taking money from my home-equity loan? Sure gov spends a dollar in the economy, but it takes $1.50 from our pockets to do it! That's not really helping IMO!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]Is the money we spend in Iraq any different than the money we will use to attempt to get the economy going again?

No.

Just one of those two expenditures will help the economy and the other pays to leave american goods in the streets and deserts of Iraq.[/QUOTE]

Wow what a relevant point, let me change the subject from Obama's job creation plan to the war in Iraq so that I can justify my president's bad idea by criticizing another one and then come to the conclusion that money spent one place is the same as money spent somewhere else.

How will this help the economy in the long run when none of it will generate even a tenth of the job production that he's saying? Top that with our $34 billion GM bailout package and minimum wage hikes when small business owners are hurting as it is and you have a perfect recipe for a prolonged recession.

[QUOTE]Once our military leaves you think the old grudges will be forgotten? You think the new hunger for power will be gone? If so you are dreaming. In order to keep the peace in Iraq we paid off the Sunni's in Anbar with weapons and training and we segragated the cities of Iraq by building walls. All these folks who want power in Iraq know a day of reckoning is going to come just as soon as our troops leave. They are biding their time and sharpening their knives.[/QUOTE]

They left al-Anbar and the Southern provinces to the Iraqis and just signed a pact to leave all major cities by mid-2009 and the country by 2011 and violence remains at its lowest point since the start of the war with only parts of Mosul and Diyala in insurgent hands. In short, I think the grudges will be there but the democratic process coupled with a booming economy will hold Iraq together for the long haul. If you want to speculate that Iraq will fall and that the war was unwinnable I'm sorry to say that no time machine exists to take you or any other misinformed liberal back to 2006 when you would have been correct. The only troubling conflict we face now is Afghanistan, a nation which, unlike Iraq, has never answered to any centralized government without rebellion and that will be the real test of our nation's military and political strength.

[QUOTE]So my neighbor allows his dog to crap in the street and he does not clean it up so I should do the same?[/QUOTE]

How about a better comparison? Say you live along the U.S-Mexico border and your cross border neighbor, after living for years in poverty, has finally made enough money to buy a car, heat and cool his house, and equip his home with utilities and luxuries. Do you have that picture in your head now? O.K well multiply that by around 100 million anually and you'll see my point.

[QUOTE]The fact of the matter is the many governing bodies in the USA play a large roll in our economy. You may not like this but it is a fact. They all spend a great deal of money paying salaries, hiring contractors and buying goods. With the current economic downturn the private sectors of the economy are sitting on the money the have. In order for the economy to grow again someone has to spend some cash. The only sector that can do this in spite of the market indicating that one should hold their money is the government.

Keynesian economics failed during the Great Depression and during the Great Society programs and they will fail again. This isn't me cinging at the thought of any government intervention, this is just waste on a colossal scale. A rescue package may have restored the flow of credit but these GSEs and federally funded banks have learned nothing and will continue to be inefficient and wasteful. Now the mentality in this country is "where's my bailout?" and our uncompetitive auto industry wants money now to "save jobs". Since when was a job a right and not something you earned and sought out yourself? This is getting ridiculous Buster the entitlement mentality is affecting everyone and you can't blame them considering that $800 billion or more of their tax dollars are being allocated to clean up private and federal mismanagement that could have been avoided.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NYJetsro71;2874505]What's his plan? Tell me what his plan is cause he didn't.

That's like saying you are going to turn water into wine without explaining how.

Well, water into wine would be cool but how are you going to do it??

Obama is the spitting image of Herm..all rah rah rah and feel good rhetoric with no substance.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I could give you the break down on how to turn grape juice, water, and yeast into wine....

However, what I can't tell you is how the U.S. is going to create 2.5 million jobs...sorry.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;2886519]Is the money we spend in Iraq any different than the money we will use to attempt to get the economy going again?

No.

Just one of those two expenditures will help the economy and the other pays to leave american goods in the streets and deserts of Iraq. [/QUOTE]

It's helping the economy? If you haven't noticed, the government has dumped loads of cash on the big banks, and they still won't lend. You can't force a bank to lend when it doesn't want to. Well, considering how the government is becoming increasingly more authoritarian, I can't rule out forced lending in the future.

[QUOTE]

Where does this money come from? It comes from the people who produce and save. If we take it from them to put it where the government wants it to go, they can't use it in more efficient ways. But hey, gotta give handouts to big banks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Setting up for another bust--Stossel

[QUOTE=XingDaorong;2892483]
    Keynesian economics failed during the Great Depression and during the Great Society programs and they will fail again. This isn't me cinging at the thought of any government intervention, this is just waste on a colossal scale. A rescue package may have restored the flow of credit but these GSEs and federally funded banks have learned nothing and will continue to be inefficient and wasteful. Now the mentality in this country is "where's my bailout?" and our uncompetitive auto industry wants money now to "save jobs". Since when was a job a right and not something you earned and sought out yourself? This is getting ridiculous Buster the entitlement mentality is affecting everyone and you can't blame them considering that $800 billion or more of their tax dollars are being allocated to clean up private and federal mismanagement that could have been avoided.[/QUOTE]

:yes::yes:
    [QUOTE] "But doesn't the government have to act?" people ask. "We can't just let financial companies fail!"

I say, Why not?

Jim Rogers, the successful investor and author, puts it well: "Why are we bailing out Citibank? Why are 300 million Americans having to pay for Citibank's mistakes? The way the system is supposed to work [is this]: People fail. And then the competent people take over the assets from the failed people, and then you start again with a new stronger base. What we're doing this time is ... taking the assets from the competent people, giving them to the incompetent people, and saying, "OK, now you can compete with the competent people." So everybody's weakened: The whole nation is weakened, the whole economy is weakened. That's not the way it's supposed to work." [/QUOTE]

[url=http://townhall.com/Columnists/JohnStossel/2008/12/03/government_sets_us_up_for_the_next_bust?page=1]more[/url]