Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Churches ordered to turn away homeless

All Pro

Churches ordered to turn away homeless

WOW....just wow.

I don't want to turn this into another Left/Right issue, but this is mandated from a noted Liberal leaning state and city. Okay, how do you justify such nonsense.

[B]New York City orders churches not to shelter homeless[/B]

By The Associated Press

NEW YORK - Twenty-two New York City churches have been ordered by the city to stop providing shelter to the homeless.

With temperatures below freezing Saturday, the churches had to follow a city rule requiring faith-based shelters to be open at least five days a week or not at all.

Arnold Cohen, president of the Partnership for the Homeless, a non-profit organization that serves as a link between city officials and shelters, delivered the news to the churches several weeks ago that they no longer qualify.

As a result hundreds of people now won't have a place to sleep, he said.

The city's emergency shelter network contract requires sites to operate at least five nights a week. The 22 churches have limited resources, since they operate their homeless beds using mostly volunteers.

On Saturday, the city Department of Homeless Services said there is plenty of space at other shelters to accept all those who have been sleeping in the churches. The spaces include four new faith-based sites where the number of beds combined with availability amounts to a greater total number of nights for people to stay, said Homeless Services spokeswoman Heather Janik.

There are now about 250 beds in churches, mosques and synagogues. They're close to drop-in centres where people receive other services, including food, Janik said.

"This city is investing more than ever to make sure people have a place to lay their heads at night," she said, adding the number of faith-based and other types of shelter beds will increase by 50 per cent in the next fiscal year to more than 1,000.

Patrick Markee of the Coalition for the Homeless non-profit advocacy group disputed the city figures showing an increase in beds. He said the city proposes to close down drop-in shelters overnight.

"That's a net loss," he said.

"However you cut it, there will be less shelter for the street homeless at a time when the economic downturn is causing more homelessness."

Janik said drop-in centres provide only "folding chairs," not beds.

"That's unacceptable and we think there are better programs and ways," she said.

Stupid, stupid, [I]stupid[/I] rule.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2874948]Stupid, stupid, [I]stupid[/I] rule.[/QUOTE]

Amazing how silent the boards been on this one, huh Pauliec?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

This is absurd...why should a charitable organization be dictated to on how to distribute its charity?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jetswin;2881401]This is absurd...why should a charitable organization be dictated to on how to distribute its charity?[/QUOTE]

Didn't the article specifically mention "contracts?"

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2881410]Didn't the article specifically mention "contracts?"[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]The city's emergency shelter network contract requires sites to operate at least five nights a week. The 22 churches have limited resources, since they operate their homeless beds using mostly volunteers.[/QUOTE]

ok, I see that, but what does it mean? Are the churches being funded by the city? I really don't see why they can't open on the nights they are able. :confused:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

A perfect example of why we need more government!!

They really know how to fix stuff!!

[QUOTE=Piper;2881489]A perfect example of why we need more government!!

They really know how to fix stuff!![/QUOTE]

Another example where the government is involved where it shouldn't be

All Pro
    Very sad. I'd like to see the people signing off on this sleep outside tonight.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2881866]Another example where the government is involved where it shouldn't be[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I wonder how many of these churches would have any shelters at all but for city contracts to provide the beds.... your comment is incredibly naive.

[QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2881916]Yeah, I wonder how many of these churches would have any shelters at all but for city contracts to provide the beds.... your comment is incredibly naive.[/QUOTE]

What's naive is the state thinking they know how to operate a shelter better than the shelter itself.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=jetswin;2881427]ok, I see that, but what does it mean? Are the churches being funded by the city? I really don't see why they can't open on the nights they are able. :confused:[/QUOTE]

I think that's pretty obvious.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2881866]Another example where the government is involved where it shouldn't be[/QUOTE]

Maybe you should actually wait to finish grow up before shooting off your mouth? Those churches use volunteers, and the City uses it's homeless fund stipend to help those churches (earn money and/or fulfill it's mission). So, the government is not "where it shouldn't be", but actually helping those in need here. To avoid a lot of "grey area" about who and what constitutes a "homelss shelter", the purse strings have rules attached, to ward off the people/organizations that might abuse the systems/people to make a buck.

[QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;2881948]Maybe you should actually wait to finish grow up before shooting off your mouth? Those churches use volunteers, and the City uses it's homeless fund stipend to help those churches (earn money and/or fulfill it's mission). So, the government is not "where it shouldn't be", but actually helping those in need here. To avoid a lot of "grey area" about who and what constitutes a "homelss shelter", the purse strings have rules attached, to ward off the people/organizations that might abuse the systems/people to make a buck.[/QUOTE]

So opening four days a week isn't helpful? They couldn't do something reasonable like reduce funding? All or nothing is a good policy?

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    [QUOTE=jetswin;2881401]This is absurd...why should a charitable organization be dictated to on how to distribute its charity?[/QUOTE]

What if they are distributing their charity in an unhealthy or unsafe way?

[QUOTE=Buster;2882349]What if they are distributing their charity in an unhealthy or unsafe way?[/QUOTE]

Ok, well this law is too broad to effectively tackle that problem.

Doesn't the gov't make laws? The laws have to be bad then, right?

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2882354]Ok, well this law is too broad to effectively tackle that problem.[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=cr726;2882508]Doesn't the gov't make laws? The laws have to be bad then, right?[/QUOTE]

Wow. You really know how to draw a conclusion!!:eek:

Thanks.

[QUOTE=Piper;2882520]Wow. You really know how to draw a conclusion!!:eek:[/QUOTE]