Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: George Washington's 1789 Thanksgiving Proclamation

Jets Insider VIP

George Washington's 1789 Thanksgiving Proclamation

The next time someone says that Politicians should not talk about the "Almighty God" just show them this. One great example why God has turned His back on this backslidden perverted (once great) nation.......

[QUOTE][B]
    George Washington's 1789 Thanksgiving Proclamation[/B]

Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor; and Whereas both Houses of Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me to "recommend to the people of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness:"

Now, therefore, I do recommend and assign Thursday, the 26th day of November next, to be devoted by the people of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be; that we may then all unite in rendering unto Him our sincere and humble thanks for His kind care and protection of the people of this country previous to their becoming a nation; for the signal and manifold mercies and the favorable interpositions of His providence in the course and conclusion of the late war; for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty which we have since enjoyed; for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enable to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national one now lately instituted for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and, in general, for all the great and various favors which He has been pleased to confer upon us.

And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech Him to pardon our national and other transgressions; to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually; to render our National Government a blessing to all the people by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to protect and guide all sovereigns and nations (especially such as have shown kindness to us), and to bless them with good governments, peace, and concord; to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them and us; and, generally to grant unto all mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as He alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand, at the city of New York, the 3d day of October, A.D. 1789.

George Washington (signature) [/QUOTE]

Maybe you should learn something from Washington.

[QUOTE]George Washington and Religion
    Washington gives us little in his writings to indicate his personal religious beliefs. As noted by Franklin Steiner in "The Religious Beliefs Of Our Presidents" (1936), Washington commented on sermons only twice. In his writings, he never referred to "Jesus Christ." He attended church rarely, and did not take communion - though Martha did, requiring the family carriage to return back to the church to get her later.

[B]When trying to arrange for workmen in 1784 at Mount Vernon, Washington made clear that he would accept "Mohometans, Jews or Christians of any Sect, or they may be Atheists." Washington wrote Lafayette in 1787, "Being no bigot myself, I am disposed to indulge the professors of Christianity in the church that road to heaven which to them shall seem the most direct, plainest, easiest and least liable to exception[/B]." [/QUOTE]
    [url]http://www.virginiaplaces.org/religion/religiongw.html[/url]

[QUOTE=cr726;2878252]Maybe you should learn something from Washington.

[/QUOTE]

Your point is.....?

[QUOTE]Whereas [b]both Houses of Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me[/b] to "recommend to the people of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness:"
    [/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=asuusa;2878279]Your point is.....?[/QUOTE]

...that Washington WAS NOT a Christian but a deist.

Thanks.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2878469]...that Washington WAS NOT a Christian but a deist.[/QUOTE]

Banned
    Washington also spoke against political parties, saying they would destroy the country. Prophetic words if you ask me.

[QUOTE]"Without looking forward to an extremity of this kind (which nevertheless ought not to be entirely out of sight), the common and continual mischiefs of the spirit of party are sufficient to make it the interest and duty of a wise people to discourage and restrain it.

[B]It serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another[/B], foments occasionally riot and insurrection. [B]It opens the door to foreign influence and corruption, which finds a facilitated access to the government itself through the channels of party passions. Thus the policy and the will of one country are subjected to the policy and will of another.[/B]"[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=sourceworx quoting Washington;2878518]It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another...[/QUOTE]

Sounds like Washington was a "flip flopper"...

If Washington was alive in 2000 he would have shot Karl Rove in the dome and then buried his fat corpse underneath a cherry tree.

You are not kidding.

[QUOTE=sourceworx;2878518]Washington also spoke against political parties, saying they would destroy the country. Prophetic words if you ask me.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2878469]...that Washington WAS NOT a Christian but a deist.[/QUOTE]

Who claimed he was? The point is that Washington believed in a omnipotent God whose blessings he wanted for America.

GW is the same as me, I am casual Catholic and do not care what other religions people practice.

Amazing.

[QUOTE=asuusa;2879848]Who claimed he was? The point is that Washington believed in a omnipotent God whose blessings he wanted for America.[/QUOTE]

All League
    Dump.

No matter democrat or republican, there is one thing we can allll agree on: SD99 is a sad, sad little man.

Jets Insider VIP
    [B]John 15:18 If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. 19 If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. 20 Remember the word that I said to you: A servant is not greater than his master. If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you.[/B]

:eek:

All League
    [QUOTE=sackdance99;2880339][B]John 15:18 If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. 19 If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. 20 Remember the word that I said to you: A servant is not greater than his master. If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you.[/B]

:eek:[/QUOTE]

Wow. You quoted something that man made up. Congrats!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=ReleasetheAnimal;2880351]Wow. You quoted something that man made up. Congrats![/QUOTE]

LOL, man are you dopey or what. Zero knowledge. Lot's of luck on your Big Day. :fireboy::fireboy::fireboy::fireboy:

[QUOTE=sackdance99;2880363]LOL, man are you dopey or what. Zero knowledge. Lot's of luck on your Big Day. :fireboy::fireboy::fireboy::fireboy:[/QUOTE]

Ya, because Jesus would taunt someone to hell like this.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2880367]Ya, because Jesus would taunt someone to hell like this.[/QUOTE]

:boogie2:

[QUOTE=sackdance99;2880385]:boogie2:[/QUOTE]

He wouldn't, and you know it.

Just sayin'.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=asuusa;2879848]Who claimed he was? The point is that Washington believed in a omnipotent God whose blessings he wanted for America.[/QUOTE]

Deism is the belief that a supreme God exists and created the physical universe, and that religious truths can be arrived at by the application of reason alone, without dependence on revelation. It is in contrast with fideism, found in many forms of Christianity, Islamic and Judaic teachings, which holds that religious truths rely upon revelation in sacred scriptures and upon the testimony of other people as well as reasoning.

Deists typically reject most supernatural events (prophecy, miracles) and tend to assert that God has a plan for the universe, which he does not alter by intervening in the affairs of human life nor by suspending the natural laws of the universe. What organized religions see as divine revelation and holy books, most deists see as interpretations made by other humans, rather than as authoritative sources. Deists believe that God's greatest gift to humanity is not religion, but the ability to reason.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deism[/url]

Banned
    [QUOTE=sackdance99;2880363]LOL, man are you dopey or what. Zero knowledge. Lot's of luck on your Big Day. :fireboy::fireboy::fireboy::fireboy:[/QUOTE]

When it's your time of judgement, St. Peter will surely send you to me.

Just so you know, I'm keeping a very special place.......warm for you.

[URL="http://www.nwpl.new-westminster.bc.ca/database/rte/image/666%20the%20number%20of%20the%20beast.jpg"][B]HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/B][/URL]
    Last edited by Sourceworx; 11-25-2008 at 09:08 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=sackdance99;2878177]The next time someone says that Politicians should not talk about the "Almighty God" just show them this. One great example why God has turned His back on this backslidden perverted (once great) nation.......[/QUOTE]

Me thinks you are going to burn :fireboy:

for being so judgemental.

Try a little Christian charity.

You give people who believe in God a bad name.