Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: George Washington's 1789 Thanksgiving Proclamation

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2880514]Deism is the belief that a supreme God exists and created the physical universe, and that religious truths can be arrived at by the application of reason alone, without dependence on revelation. It is in contrast with fideism, found in many forms of Christianity, Islamic and Judaic teachings, which holds that religious truths rely upon revelation in sacred scriptures and upon the testimony of other people as well as reasoning.

Deists typically reject most supernatural events (prophecy, miracles) and tend to assert that God has a plan for the universe, which he does not alter by intervening in the affairs of human life nor by suspending the natural laws of the universe. What organized religions see as divine revelation and holy books, most deists see as interpretations made by other humans, rather than as authoritative sources. Deists believe that God's greatest gift to humanity is not religion, but the ability to reason.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deism[/url][/QUOTE]
    Deists: Believers too lazy for church.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2880393]He wouldn't, and you know it.

Just sayin'.[/QUOTE]

Yea...I know. You guys are too uptight.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance;2880665]Deists: Believers too lazy for church.[/QUOTE]

Or too smart to engage in silliness.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a non-practicing Catholic I guess but it just seems retarded to kid ourselves about this issue, all of our founding fathers with the exception of a few were Christians:

"You do well to wish to learn our arts and our ways of life, and above all, the religion of Jesus Christ. Congress will do everything they can to assist you in this wise intention."-George Washington

"Let...statesmen and patriots unite their endeavors to renovate the age by...educating their little boys and girls...and leading them in the study and practice of the exalted virtues of the Christian system."-Samuel Adams

"History will also afford frequent opportunities of showing the necessity of a public religion...and the excellency of the Christian religion above all others, ancient or modern."-Benjamin Franklin

"Only one adequate plan has ever appeared in the world, and that is the Christian dispensation."-John Jay

There's no point in fighting over this issue simply because most Americans in those times were practicing Christians of a much more devout and strict way then how we are today. I'm not saying these are my beliefs, as I am fairly liberal socially, but it's stupid to claim that these people were like the "free thinking" atheists who whine about "under God" being on currency and in the pledge on a daily basis.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=XingDaorong;2883758]but it's stupid to claim that these people were like the "free thinking" atheists who whine about "under God" being on currency and in the pledge on a daily basis.[/QUOTE]

It was added in 1954, numbnuts. It doesn't belong there.

Can I add "with mad b*tches" under indivisible and pretend like it was put there by the founding fathers like you "Christians" do?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2884670]It was added in 1954, numbnuts. It doesn't belong there.

Can I add "with mad b*tches" under indivisible and pretend like it was put there by the founding fathers like you "Christians" do?[/QUOTE]

Plumber do you [B]really[/B] care about "under God" being on money or in the pledge or is it just something you like to b*tch about? Christians act like that with the "War on Christmas" and with the alleged persecution of their kids by schools, they're not victims and neither are atheists. Second I'm not a practicing Christian, I just find this whole discussion to be insanely stupid. This is not San Francisco circa 2008 we are talking about it is post-war 1700s America; that right there should end the discussion. People like to think the Founding Fathers were on their side (i.e "th3y W3RnT CHRIZTIANS LOL") because everything today has to be a partisan issue or nobody cares about it. The plain as day truth is that nearly all of them were Christians, do I care if they were? No. Do I support creationism or having it taught in schools? No. But most of them did, and saying that they didn't is stupid. That's my point, not that anyone who isn't a Christian is wrong.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2884670]It was added in 1954, numbnuts. It doesn't belong there.

Can I add "with mad b*tches" under indivisible and pretend like it was put there by the founding fathers like you "Christians" do?[/QUOTE]

The original pledge was written over 100 yrs after 1776 in 1892 so the "founding fathers" had nothing to do with it at all, but do you think any of them would object to "under God" being added?

BTW, "under God" was the 3rd change to the pledge; in 1923 "to my Flag" was changed to, "to the Flag of the United States" and a year later "of America" was added! Since these were added later and the "fathers" didn't put them there, should they be chucked as well?

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pledge_of_Allegiance]source[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2879963]GW is the same as me, I am casual Catholic and do not care what other religions people practice.

Amazing.[/QUOTE]

Is "casual" your way of being PC? You're Catholic b/c you believe it's the true religion, but apparently don't care if others believe a false religion, right? If the Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons come to your door, do you try to show them their error and how your faith is the right one?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=asuusa;2886148]Is "casual" your way of being PC? You're Catholic b/c you believe it's the true religion, but apparently don't care if others believe a false religion, right? If the Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons come to your door, do you try to show them their error and how your faith is the right one?[/QUOTE]

Not to change the subject.. you might enjoy this.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYNwh29d0XI[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Um, no. PC is not my thing, sorry. "Casual" means I am lazy with my religion and therefore I could care less about how or what other people are practicing. I don't care.

[QUOTE=asuusa;2886148]Is "casual" your way of being PC? You're Catholic b/c you believe it's the true religion, but apparently don't care if others believe a false religion, right? If the Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons come to your door, do you try to show them their error and how your faith is the right one?[/QUOTE]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;2886153]Not to change the subject.. you might enjoy this.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYNwh29d0XI[/url][/QUOTE]

Haha, that's kinda funny. Weird how they just happened to have a camera....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gotta hand to those kids, I see them in the heart of North Philly. Crazy.

[QUOTE=ReleasetheAnimal;2886174]Haha, that's kinda funny. Weird how they just happened to have a camera....[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2886177]Gotta hand to those kids, I see them in the heart of North Philly. Crazy.[/QUOTE]

Yup, they're sincere about their belief. I had two come to my house several years ago and I invited them in for a discussion! Usually, one is a rookie and one is experienced and the rookie usually does most of the talking. As we talked I pointed out several contradictions in their belief system and how often they deviated from the Bible even tho they claim its God's word. When the rookie started agreeing with me, the other guy suddenly "remembered" they had another meeting and they quickly left. I bet the rookie got an "F" for his work that night!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those goofy confused Mormons will be riding those bikes straight to hell. What fools. I love it when idiots like that run into people who know the actual truth. Priceless!!!!!!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://deyan.dyankov.name/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/atheist425y.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=sackdance99;2886218]Those goofy confused Mormons will be riding those bikes straight to hell. What fools. I love it when idiots like that run into people who know the actual truth. Priceless!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2886221][IMG]http://deyan.dyankov.name/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/atheist425y.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Hahahahaha, I love it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    “It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.”
    - George Washington

Ran across this quote and immediately thought of the atheists trying to co-opt GW as one of their own. This isn't to say that this is true in 2008, obviously.

And there is no shortage of material documenting GW's Christianity, either - google it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where is the chapter written about GW disliking others who didn't practice his religion?

[QUOTE=sackdance;2893176]“It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.”
    - George Washington

Ran across this quote and immediately thought of the atheists trying to co-opt GW as one of their own. This isn't to say that this is true in 2008, obviously.

And there is no shortage of material documenting GW's Christianity, either - google it.[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2893181]Where is the chapter written about GW disliking others who didn't practice his religion?[/QUOTE]
    Revisionists deleted it from history and replaced it with a video clip of Leo DiCaprio at Harvard, lecturing on the evils of global warming.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, yea I forgot. Thanks.

Ignoring history is a lot better, works for you.

[QUOTE=sackdance;2893222]Revisionists deleted it from history and replaced it with a video clip of Leo DiCaprio at Harvard, lecturing on the evils of global warming.[/QUOTE]