Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: This year's version of the war on Christmas...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

This year's version of the war on Christmas...

[url]http://www.news-press.com/article/20081125/NEWS0104/811250380/1075[/url]

[QUOTE]Christmas is just 30 days away, but Santa Claus won't be stopping by Florida Gulf Coast University this holiday.

He's not allowed on campus.

FGCU administration has banned all holiday decorations from common spaces on campus and canceled a popular greeting card design contest, which is being replaced by an ugly sweater competition. In Griffin Hall, the university's giving tree for needy preschoolers has been transformed into a "giving garden."

The moves boil down to political correctness.

"Public institutions, including FGCU, often struggle with how best to observe the season in ways that honor and respect all traditions," President Wilson Bradshaw wrote in a memo to faculty and staff Thursday. "This is a challenging issue each year at FGCU, and 2008 is no exception. While it may appear at times that a vocal majority of opinion is the only view that is held, this is not always the case."...[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,456585,00.html[/url]

[QUOTE]New York Christmas Boat Parade Changes Name, Loses Fans
    Monday, November 24, 2008

PATCHOGUE, N.Y. An annual parade of boats on a Long Island river that dropped "Christmas" from its name has apparently lost lots of supporters.

About 1,000 people showed up Sunday for the Patchogue Boat Parade of Lights. That's 500 fewer than usually showed up when it was called the Patchogue Christmas Boat Parade.

Brookhaven-based fireworks company Fireworks by Grucci dropped its sponsorship after the Greater Patchogue Foundation removed "Christmas" from the parade's name. The change was made after some residents complained the name wasn't inclusive enough.

Grucci vice president Philip Butler opposes the secularization of Christmas. His supporters encouraged area residents to stay away from the parade on Patchogue River.

Organizers say the parade still was a success.[/QUOTE]

My guess is we will be able to add to this thread on a daily basis as the Christmas/Hannakuh season approaches.

Swell.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Intolerance... in the name of tolerance.

More gutless politicians.

[QUOTE=Piper;2880689][B]Intolerance... in the name of tolerance.
    [/B]
    [/QUOTE]

You got it.

A "giving garden"? What a joke.

[QUOTE=Piper;2880689]Intolerance... in the name of tolerance.[/QUOTE]

Sad, isn't it?

[QUOTE=Piper;2880689]Intolerance... in the name of tolerance.

.[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of Bill Maher whenever he rails against organized religion. Anyone who believes in God -- Christian, Jew, Muslim -- is automatically "delusional".

Jets Insider VIP
    This is why the United States of America has become a disgrace. I respect and greatly admire the troops whole-heartedly, but that's it. This country sucks. Just wait it's going to get much worse. There is no longer pride in the American flag whatsoever. The American flag should be flown no other way than upside down as this is a country in great distress. You wouldn't know the difference if it was Bill Maher or not making these decisions.

God is no longer for this country and any God-fearing person will recognize that statement as truth. America is on a path to sure destruction, and there is no remedy available to Her anymore. She was once a great nation, like Sodom and Gomorrah, blessed with great prosperity and power not before seen in the modern world. And, like Sodom and Gomorrah, she has spit in the face of God until His wrath has been brought down upon her with fierce anger.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2880781]Reminds me of Bill Maher whenever he rails against organized religion. Anyone who believes in God -- Christian, Jew, Muslim -- is automatically "delusional".[/QUOTE]

They are. Believing in invisible people is often a sign of mania.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Warfish;2880760]Sad, isn't it?[/QUOTE]

Yes. It truly is.

I just keep saying Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays.

I only say Happy Holidays to conservatives.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2880929]They are. Believing in invisible people is often a sign of mania.[/QUOTE]

And not believing in anything that you can't touch is often a sign of being a simpleton.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2880929]They are. Believing in invisible people is often a sign of mania.[/QUOTE]

So is believing in "CHANGE" :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=sackdance99;2880904]This is why the United States of America has become a disgrace. I respect and greatly admire the troops whole-heartedly, but that's it. This country sucks. Just wait it's going to get much worse. There is no longer pride in the American flag whatsoever. The American flag should be flown no other way than upside down as this is a country in great distress. You wouldn't know the difference if it was Bill Maher or not making these decisions.

God is no longer for this country and any God-fearing person will recognize that statement as truth. America is on a path to sure destruction, and there is no remedy available to Her anymore. She was once a great nation, like Sodom and Gomorrah, blessed with great prosperity and power not before seen in the modern world. And, like Sodom and Gomorrah, she has spit in the face of God until His wrath has been brought down upon her with fierce anger.[/QUOTE]

Yikes!

Anyone who buys this war on X-mas would just as easily believe in the tooth fairy or the man in the moon. I wish for five minutes you could see this issue through the eyes of a Jew or Hindu living in this country. Anyway go, run out and buy the next book exposing this conspiracy by a Fox news castaway and have a very Merry Christmas.

All Pro
    It's a shame to see traditions being shattered because of political correctness. This time of the year will always be seen as a holiday, and prohibiting decorations is simply lame.

However, crying about the word "Christmas" not being used is equally as lame. What is it with conservatives harping on the use of key words such as "Christmas" and "marriage?" Our society is made up of many different cultures, and it's a shame people refuse to acknowledge that cultures different from their own should be embraced and accepted.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Piper;2880940]And not believing in anything that you can't touch is often a sign of being a simpleton.[/QUOTE]

Whatever you say, Jack. Why stop at God? Jabberwocky? Santa? The Easter Bunny? The tooth fairy? Harry Potter?

Go back to your idiotic church, drink some magic water and eat the flesh of a Jewish zombie.

Yeah...I'm the simpleton :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=parafly;2881010]It's a shame to see traditions being shattered because of political correctness. This time of the year will always be seen as a holiday, and prohibiting decorations is simply lame.

However, crying about the word "Christmas" not being used is equally as lame. What is it with conservatives harping on the use of key words such as "Christmas" and "marriage?" Our society is made up of many different cultures, and it's a shame people refuse to acknowledge that cultures different from their own should be embraced and accepted.[/QUOTE]

All true.

The disagreement here is that the vast majority do not feel that their celebrations, which have been ingrained in American Culture for over 200 years, should be wiped clean from public view, in order to possibly maybe prevent any number of the small minorities to possably be "offended" over others celebrating their own, and not their, holiday.

Look, no one is less religios-based than I. But I find the ideal today of "all must be equal, or none shal be shown" political correctness to be assinine. Like it or not, the vast vast majority either celebrate Christmas in some form.

To remove all references to it for fear a Wiccan might be pissed off because it's "Christmas Parade" and not "Winter Solstice Parade" is, in my view, assinine.

we have become a country ruled, in almost every way, by the minority.

[QUOTE=parafly;2881010]It's a shame to see traditions being shattered because of political correctness. This time of the year will always be seen as a holiday, and prohibiting decorations is simply lame.

However, crying about the word "Christmas" not being used is equally as lame. What is it with conservatives harping on the use of key words such as "Christmas" and "marriage?" Our society is made up of many different cultures, and it's a shame people refuse to acknowledge that cultures different from their own should be embraced and accepted.[/QUOTE]

So let's ban saying Merry Christmas, which is actually a legal holiday in the U.S., but let's figure out ways to incorporate prayer mats and foot baths into our public places. Great!

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2881065]All true.

The disagreement here is that the vast majority do not feel that their celebrations, which have been ingrained in American Culture for over 200 years, should be wiped clean from public view, in order to possibly maybe prevent any number of the small minorities to possably be "offended" over others celebrating their own, and not their, holiday.

Look, no one is less religios-based than I. But I find the ideal today of "all must be equal, or none shal be shown" political correctness to be assinine. Like it or not, the vast vast majority either celebrate Christmas in some form.

To remove all references to it for fear a Wiccan might be pissed off because it's "Christmas Parade" and not "Winter Solstice Parade" is, in my view, assinine.

we have become a country ruled, in almost every way, by the minority.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, it's all petty nonsense.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=kaol;2881075]So let's ban saying Merry Christmas, which is actually a legal holiday in the U.S., but let's figure out ways to incorporate prayer mats and foot baths into our public places. Great![/QUOTE]

What does this even mean? If you want to say Merry Christmas, by all means say it. No one is stopping you. Just don't get pissed when a company makes a business decision that puts ALL of their customer base into consideration.

I have never come across prayer mats or foot baths in public places, but I have seen plenty of Christmas trees and lights. I think you're going a bit overboard with the hysteria.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2881045]Whatever you say, Jack. Why stop at God? Jabberwocky? Santa? The Easter Bunny? The tooth fairy? Harry Potter?

Go back to your idiotic church, drink some magic water and eat the flesh of a Jewish zombie.

Yeah...I'm the simpleton :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Take it easy there chief, there are people all over this place that devout their lives to organize religon. What i don't understand is why people criticize and take shots at them for it, they are living their lives the way they want to live it. No need to mock their beliefs. I never understood that why people would take shots at that. Thats like people taking shots at others who are middle class because they don't have enough money...its people trying to live their lives and make a living, who cares what they believe or don't believe...and if you disagree with it go ahead, but theres no need to mock them.

[QUOTE=parafly;2881103]What does this even mean? If you want to say Merry Christmas, by all means say it. No one is stopping you. Just don't get pissed when a company makes a business decision that puts ALL of their customer base into consideration.

I have never come across prayer mats or foot baths in public places, but I have seen plenty of Christmas trees and lights. I think you're going a bit overboard with the hysteria.[/QUOTE]

I don't get pissed. I take my business elsewhere. It's not hysteria, it's already under discussion. A recent incident at Shea Stadium triggered significant discussion and made mention of what's to come.