Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: This year's version of the war on Christmas...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2881352]And this quote actually hits the nail on the head...

We can't touch air, yet we believe it exists. Does that mean all 100 percent of the population are simpletons?[/QUOTE]

This argument is so illogical, I don't even know where to begin.

And BTW, since when can we not touch air? We are touching it constantly on this planet unless in a vacuum.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;2881331]Yes, I agree Christmas is over commercialized, and I fear this could be one of the toughest seasons ever as far as that is concerned in light of the economy. My point is there is more to Christmas than that, and I don't have to be a holy roller or preacher to find it insulting that traditions associated with the holiday are now found to be intolerable due to the fact that not everyone celebrates.

I don't complain during Ramadam, or the Jewish holiday season in the fall, why is the Christmas season so disturbing to so many people? To those that are atheist, fine, that is your choice and I don't begrudge them, I still do not consider myself delusional.

btw, I was not taking you for a bleeding heart, I just picked your post to respond to. :cool:[/QUOTE]

No one is telling you that YOUR traditions, whatever you celebrate with your family and in your church, are intolerable. If you chose to walk down the street and wish a complete stranger a Merry Christmas no one would arrest you. You are still completely free to celebrate as you see fit. I doubt the fact that some obscure college is now calling their holiday celebration by some silly name affects how YOU celebrate your holiday at all. Seriously, have you ever been to Walmart and been wished a "Happy Hanukah"? Do Jewish people get all crazy about that? Celebrate how YOU want to, no one is stopping you from doing that.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=skippy1999;2881451]No one is telling you that YOUR traditions, whatever you celebrate with your family and in your church, are intolerable. If you chose to walk down the street and wish a complete stranger a Merry Christmas no one would arrest you. You are still completely free to celebrate as you see fit. I doubt the fact that some obscure college is now calling their holiday celebration by some silly name affects how YOU celebrate your holiday at all. Seriously, have you ever been to Walmart and been wished a "Happy Hanukah"? Do Jewish people get all crazy about that? Celebrate how YOU want to, no one is stopping you from doing that.[/QUOTE]

You are missing my point. We'll see what else happens in the next few weeks, I expect to see more of this type of thing.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2wkwRJLW84[/url]

Just so everyone doesn't think I am a complete grump :cool:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;2881455]You are missing my point. We'll see what else happens in the next few weeks, I expect to see more of this type of thing.[/QUOTE]

You're missing mine, too. No one is waging a war on your right to go to church, gather with family and friends, wish complete strangers Merry Christmas, I'm sure there are Christmas lights about to be put up all over your neighborhood, I'm sorry, I just don't see the whole "War on Christmas!" angle.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;2881252]Kenny does have a point though........[/QUOTE]

Yes, but when he combs his hair the right way, it isn't too noticeable

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2881045]Whatever you say, Jack. Why stop at God? Jabberwocky? Santa? The Easter Bunny? The tooth fairy? Harry Potter?

Go back to your idiotic church, drink some magic water and eat the flesh of a Jewish zombie.

Yeah...I'm the simpleton :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I think you have made that point many times over.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2881352]And this quote actually hits the nail on the head...

We can't touch air, yet we believe it exists. Does that mean all 100 percent of the population are simpletons?[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://files.turbosquid.com/Preview/Content_on_3_18_2003_22_36_42/atom0.jpgFE06721B-B5C3-4DA3-9D5DDCF34F64CD5F.jpgLarge.jpg[/IMG]

Atom and Eve
    Last edited by PlumberKhan; 11-25-2008 at 03:26 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper;2881484]I think you have made that point many times over.[/QUOTE]

This simpleton is an overachiever.

BTW...God said he doesn't like what's on your hard drive. ;)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;2881420]This argument is so illogical, I don't even know where to begin.

And BTW, since when can we not touch air? We are touching it constantly on this planet unless in a vacuum.[/QUOTE]

Nice twist....

Allright, we can't touch emotions....does that mean they don't exist? You know what the sentiment was...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2881545]Nice twist....

Allright, we can't touch emotions....does that mean they don't exist? You know what the sentiment was...[/QUOTE]

Ask my wife after I backhand her for crying...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2881545]Nice twist....

Allright, we can't touch emotions....does that mean they don't exist? You know what the sentiment was...[/QUOTE]

We can't "touch" emotions per se, but we can definitely define them and understand what triggers them.

We're getting off topic, please move to the "Not Easily Explained So It Must Be God" forum. :P

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did Christmas get banned or something? Guess I didn't get the memo on that one. My desk was too cluttered with memos about gay marriage and Bill Ayers and all the other fake scandals conservatives use to try to fire up their base.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2881244]Your argument is frankly empty[/quote]

The only argument I've put forth here, is that we have allowed America to become a nation ruled entirely by the minority opinion, and the view of the offended.

Political Correctness, the inherant limitations of though and speech PC Stands for, is inherantly unlibertarian.

[QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2881244]unless you feel that because a majority exists for an idea that is offensive to some and likely unconstitutional should prevail because of numbers.[/quote]

I'd be interested as to what aspect of Christmas you belive is "offensive to some", specificly what that offense may be.

But on the question, I am of the view that Christmas (like Marriage) stopped being a religious holiday a long time agao in America, and widened to be a larger and more broad American Holiday. It does indeed mean many things to many people, but that does not change the fact that Christmas has long been an ingrained part of American Culture.

The white-washing of Christmas and Christmas-related things (like songs) from any and every public location is not mere placation of the minority, it's domination by the minority, who seem to have more right to demand what is allowed in public than the majority does.

[QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2881244]Odd that you should be arguing such a majoritarian, anti-libertarian position...[/QUOTE]

And not odd that you would resort to political pigeonholing yet again. One day LiL, you'll realize I am a person, not a party, a person, not an ideology, and that I have my opinions, they are not handed to me by whichever party or idealism I may choose to support from time to time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2881743]I'd be interested as to what aspect of Christmas you belive is "offensive to some", specificly what that offense may be.
    [/QUOTE]

I'm offended by the satanic symbol everybody tops their tree with....

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2881524]This simpleton is an overachiever.
    [/QUOTE]

You got that promotion at McDonalds huh?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The first article is whack, I don't see why they can't decorate. The Christmas people can put up some Christmas stuff the Hanuakka people can put up some Hanuakka stuff, the Kwanzaa people can put Kwanzaa stuff. Everyone's happy.

But I don't see what's wrong with the 2nd article. The people running the parade can do whatever want, all they are doing is trying to get more people involved.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DeanPatsFan;2881765]You got that promotion at McDonalds huh?[/QUOTE]

Yup. The great thing is that even in a crappy economy, fat a**es like yourself still need to clog their arteries....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where does most of the Christmas oppostion come from I wonder? I'm half Jewish, but have celebrated X-mas my whole life, with a little Hanukah thrown in here and there. I've never looked at it as a religious thing but as an occasion to celebrate close friends and family, exchange gifts, and eat well!

I mean, is it very religuous Jews, Athiests, the Kwanza lobby, Wiccans, the ACLU? At least this is one thing we can't blame illegal immigrants for. What got this ball rolling in the first place, the PC movement in general?

Damn, is there any part of this once great country that isn't going into the crapper? We can't even celebrate Christmas anymore? Damn, the men of our grandfathers and father's generations must be so pissed at what we've turned into.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=brady's a catcher;2881771]Where does most of the Christmas oppostion come from I wonder? I'm half Jewish, but have celebrated X-mas my whole life, with a little Hanukah thrown in here and there. I've never looked at it as a religious thing but as an occasion to celebrate close friends and family, exchange gifts, and eat well!

I mean, is it very religuous Jews, Athiests, the Kwanza lobby, Wiccans, the ACLU? At least this is one thing we can't blame illegal immigrants for. What got this ball rolling in the first place, the PC movement in general?

Damn, is there any part of this once great country that isn't going into the crapper? We can't even celebrate Christmas anymore? Damn, the men of our grandfathers and father's generations must be so pissed at what we've turned into.[/QUOTE]

Who's saying you can't celebrate Christmas? I was able to put my Christmas tree up last night and Obama's secret commie police didn't threatent to take down my tree if I didn't call it a "Holiday Tree."

Guess I must be one of the lucky ones.:rolleyes: