Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Lee

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

David Lee

Sucks.

Well he certainly doesn't suck, but i can't believe some people want him to be resigned. He's not worth 7-10 million a year, especially not for this team.

A very good bench player/below average starter for us, he needs to be traded while he still has value for cap relief(pair him with Curry). He has no future with this team and needs to be sent packing.

eLOT

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love Lee. He's been one of the few likeable players on this team the past couple seasons. That being said, I agree that he's not worth re-signing at $10 million per. It would be said to see him go, but I would be all for trading him if they could somehow package Curry in the deal.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lee should not get more then Jason Maxiell. Maxiell is a true BEAST who has an effect on the game on both sides of the ball. He's the type of player you want in the playoffs. As much as I like Lee, he's not physical enough and just doesn't do anything on the defense end to be worth what he may get on the open market.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lol, week later Lee has been playing amazing. 9 straight double doubles. He still stinks on defense though.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope we do trade him in a package that gets Curry off the books. That would be awesome.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    Lol, week later Lee has been playing amazing. 9 straight double doubles. He still stinks on defense though.
    It really is something. His numbers have been filthy lately.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJets 4 Life View Post
    I hope we do trade him in a package that gets Curry off the books. That would be awesome.
    That would be ****ing awesome. Getting Curry would really do wonders for the cap situation, even more than the previous trades have done.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can't trade Lee at this point unless your getting something of VERY good value not just cap flexibility.

Hell, Walsh was able to move ZBos 51M over 3 years when everyone said that was impossible. I can see him getting some team to bite on Curry alone.

Also rumor has it that he's trying to acquire a guard via trade exception from denver deal and nuggets deal with mobley potentially retiring and marbury situation.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by elot View Post
    Sucks.

Well he certainly doesn't suck, but i can't believe some people want him to be resigned. He's not worth 7-10 million a year, especially not for this team.

A very good bench player/below average starter for us, he needs to be traded while he still has value for cap relief(pair him with Curry). He has no future with this team and needs to be sent packing.

eLOT
    Any team that's willing to pay Lee $7-10 mil can have him. He's a nice player, blue collar guy but no way is he worth a like that. Giving him that kind of money would be Isiah-esque.

All the people saying there's no way the Knicks can get far enough under the cap to go on a huge spending spree summer 2010 because they're going to resign Lee to a big deal are going to be surprised. When it comes to getting Lebron, Walsh means business.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can't trade Lee at this point unless your getting something of VERY good value not just cap flexibility.

Hell, Walsh was able to move ZBos 51M over 3 years when everyone said that was impossible. I can see him getting some team to bite on Curry alone.

Also rumor has it that he's trying to acquire a guard via trade exception from denver deal and nuggets deal with mobley potentially retiring and marbury situation.
    Curry is as undesirable as it gets. No way Walsh is able to unload him unless he packages him with Lee. Z-Bo and Crawford may have had bad contracts but they're at least serviceable players who can fill up a stat sheet every night.

Eddy Curry just flat out sucks. Nobody wants that guy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

A sign and trade with Lee is inevitable me thinks, Walsh will just match his RFA tender to whoever and try to net something. Much higher likelihood of us keeping Nate, though I'm not sure we'll be keeping either at this point. Someone's going to give Lee a lot more money and years than Donnie is willing to..Nate, maybe (and hopefully) not so much.

Problem with Curry is that he still has another 2 and 1/2 years on the books. He needs to get on the court for anyone to even think about trading for that, and Walsh isn't going to tell D'Antoni to play him simply to up his trade value as that's not his style.

Honestly I think we're stuck with Curry until we get much closer to the summer of '10 as his contract expires after '11, giving him at least some semblance of value.

To tell you the truth, I'm happy with watching both Lee and Nate walk as long as we retain Duhon and net two studs in '10. That's honestly my dream scenario. Duhon is taylor-made for this offense and his selflessness in it would be just perfect to combine with a few superstars. I honestly don't remember the last time I enjoyed watching a Knick PG this much...really.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan View Post
    A sign and trade with Lee is inevitable me thinks, Walsh will just match his RFA tender to whoever and try to net something. Much higher likelihood of us keeping Nate, though I'm not sure we'll be keeping either at this point. Someone's going to give Lee a lot more money and years than Donnie is willing to..Nate, maybe (and hopefully) not so much.

Problem with Curry is that he still has another 2 and 1/2 years on the books. He needs to get on the court for anyone to even think about trading for that, and Walsh isn't going to tell D'Antoni to play him simply to up his trade value as that's not his style.

Honestly I think we're stuck with Curry until we get much closer to the summer of '10 as his contract expires after '11, giving him at least some semblance of value.

To tell you the truth, I'm happy with watching both Lee and Nate walk as long as we retain Duhon and net two studs in '10. That's honestly my dream scenario. Duhon is taylor-made for this offense and his selflessness in it would be just perfect to combine with a few superstars. I honestly don't remember the last time I enjoyed watching a Knick PG this much...really.
    I agree... though i don't see us wanting to cut bait so easily with either Lee or Nate... Also D'antoni has made all the difference first and foremost b4 any player - though i do love our players. He's a damn good coach and it just makes such a huge difference day in and out and year to year. Haven't seen a knicks team -in general- pass the ball like this in quite some time - possibly ever! They have a direction, fire, and are executing. You can almost visibly see the coach's identity pulsating in this team - it's as clear as night and day - i love D'antoni

gotta love his intensity - he's all over players and officials alike -and importantly at the appropriate times - not exactly a loose cannon more calculated and IMO always appropriate but bottom line is he certainly doesn't bite his lip often... he lets the f bombs fly

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JOHNNY JOHNSON View Post
    I agree... though i don't see us wanting to cut bait so easily with either Lee or Nate... Also D'antoni has made all the difference first and foremost b4 any player - though i do love our players. He's a damn good coach and it just makes such a huge difference day in and out and year to year. Haven't seen a knicks team -in general- pass the ball like this in quite some time - possibly ever! They have a direction, fire, and are executing. You can almost visibly see the coach's identity pulsating in this team - it's as clear as night and day - i love D'antoni

gotta love his intensity - he's all over players and officials alike -and importantly at the appropriate times - not exactly a loose cannon more calculated and IMO always appropriate but bottom line is he certainly doesn't bite his lip often... he lets the f bombs fly
    D'Antoni is just effing awesome, really. If there's still any doubt that Nash didn't make him, I'm sure it's gone out the window by now. The fact that he's able to maintain a record around .500 right now with the misfits he started off with and then the roster turnover, THEN combined with all the injuries currently...all while winning his last 2 of 3 against two of the best teams in the East, I mean I'm just so impressed with him. His attitude, the way he dishes out time, it's just such a breath of fresh air finally. To tell you the truth, Donnie could extend him for an additional 5 years right now and I'd weep with joy. The guy's one of the best in the game and I have no doubt that as long as he's provided with the right players, we'll be back to the glory days.

I heart Mike D'Antoni and his mustache. That glorious, glorious mustache.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

If the Knicks sign two studs in 2010 and Lee gets his offer post those guys couldnt the Knicks keep both Lee and still get the guys they want? Id think Lee is a good dirty work guy if you have Lebron and Bosh. Of course things might change with draft picks to where Lee is expendable, but I think in terms of cap once the Knicks sign two big name free agents they wont be able to maneuver under the cap for a long time after that and wouldnt find anything better than Lee with the MLE which is the only money they would have to spend.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason423 View Post
    If the Knicks sign two studs in 2010 and Lee gets his offer post those guys couldnt the Knicks keep both Lee and still get the guys they want? Id think Lee is a good dirty work guy if you have Lebron and Bosh. Of course things might change with draft picks to where Lee is expendable, but I think in terms of cap once the Knicks sign two big name free agents they wont be able to maneuver under the cap for a long time after that and wouldnt find anything better than Lee with the MLE which is the only money they would have to spend.
    Well the thing is that Lee is a RFA next year, which means he'd have to be extended next offseason, can't say I see that happening because if he could have been had at a reasonable price, he would have already. I think Walsh is that adamant about being as clean as possible going into the summer of Lebron. If he was going into that offseason as a RFA I'd say yes, but since it's the year before, I just don't know. Donnie will certainly make the qualifying offer to both, but beyond that it's anyone's ball game. I sincerely believe that someone is going to make a huge offer to Lee that Walsh just won't be able to match.

I think if Donnie was dead-set on resigning him he would have done so before the season. He's stated on more than one occasion how he isn't handing out any contracts whatsoever that go beyond 2010, and let's be honest, Lee isn't a must-keep guy. To tell you the truth I don't think extending Harrington is out of the question considering Donnie's history of being in love with him.

Oh, and extend Duhon. Please. You can't find a better bargain at PG.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well the thing is that Lee is a RFA next year, which means he'd have to be extended next offseason, can't say I see that happening because if he could have been had at a reasonable price, he would have already. I think Walsh is that adamant about being as clean as possible going into the summer of Lebron. If he was going into that offseason as a RFA I'd say yes, but since it's the year before, I just don't know. Donnie will certainly make the qualifying offer to both, but beyond that it's anyone's ball game. I sincerely believe that someone is going to make a huge offer to Lee that Walsh just won't be able to match.

I think if Donnie was dead-set on resigning him he would have done so before the season. He's stated on more than one occasion how he isn't handing out any contracts whatsoever that go beyond 2010, and let's be honest, Lee isn't a must-keep guy. To tell you the truth I don't think extending Harrington is out of the question considering Donnie's history of being in love with him.

Oh, and extend Duhon. Please. You can't find a better bargain at PG.
    I trust D'Antoni and Walsh to make the right decision and extend Duhon. I'm sure they know that he is tailor-made for this offense, especially when you add a couple of studs alongside him.

I was actually going to suggest trying to bring back Harrington. I'm a big fan of the guy and would love to see him back as long as it doesn't have any affect on the way Walsh does business in the 2010 off-season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    I trust D'Antoni and Walsh to make the right decision and extend Duhon. I'm sure they know that he is tailor-made for this offense, especially when you add a couple of studs alongside him.

I was actually going to suggest trying to bring back Harrington. I'm a big fan of the guy and would love to see him back as long as it doesn't have any affect on the way Walsh does business in the 2010 off-season.
    Well the thing is that Walsh has had a man-crush on Harrington since forever and considering the way he's adapting to D'Antoni's style, that's probably not going to change. However, I think he'd have to take some sort of discount since there's no way they'd renew him at $10 mill-plus. Considering their relationship, perhaps he could convince him to take less and compromise by offering more years...who knows. Like you said, I completely trust the guy at this point. He's done everything right thus far.

Though I think we also have to take into account that Chandy is developing into a certifiable starting 3 and Amare's simply better when he's playing the 4. I think where ever he goes he's going to make it clear that he wants it to stay that way, in which case I think we'd be more apt to keep Chandler at SF on the cheap side rather than shift Harrington over and jeopardize the cap and/or getting Amare.

The possibility of a starting lineup with Duhon, Lebron, and Amare gets me all antsy in my pantsy.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by elot View Post
    Sucks.

eLOT
    How about you stick to talking about the Mets around here...

David Lee led the league in Double-Doubles last year with 65 freaking double-doubles!

Dwight Howard was 2nd with 63

Chris Paul was 3rd with 50

Tim Duncan was 4th with 49

He's nothing more than just a bench player, average starter?

If we trade Lee this offseason because we drafted Jordan Hill, it better be for a 1st round pick to a team that finished 10th or below in the standings.

After this year...

(Top 10 pick because of Lee (If we trade him) With...

PG-Kidd
    SG-Wade
    SF-King James
    PF-Hill
    C-Curry

All we would have to do is upgrade the C position, but still, with that starting lineup...That has the Knicks written all over the Championship game vs a Western Conf team.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsChampionships2 View Post
    How about you stick to talking about the Mets around here...

David Lee led the league in Double-Doubles last year with 65 freaking double-doubles!

Dwight Howard was 2nd with 63

Chris Paul was 3rd with 50

Tim Duncan was 4th with 49

He's nothing more than just a bench player, average starter?
    You're right, David Lee is better than Howard, Paul and Duncan, or at least just as good

I appreciate you bumping this thread, i feel exactly the same now as i did back then, and am patting myself on the back after rereading what i wrote.

I would still dump Lee in a S&T if we can get rid of Curry with him and possibly get a mediocre PG/SG prospect too.

The only thing i will say is that if it was possible to get Lee at 7 million(which i doubt), he would be a valuable trade chip.

eLOT

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Both Lee and Nate are good role players but should both be moved by the Knicks in tandem with Jeffries and Curry in preparation for the 2010 FA bonanza.
    Hope D.Walsh can do some sign and trades or get them to sign qualifying offers and move them next year