Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: An Open Letter To Bill Maher

All Pro
    [QUOTE=cr726;2904589]Just to Paulie, that's it.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I get it now, you were pro-EY in the recent JI holy war.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=FF2®;2904341]But heres the thing. I don't want you praying for me. That says to me you think I need to come around to your way of thinking. It says to me you think I am missing something or need to be "fixed." And I don't feel that way.

I am a happy, moral, fulfilled person. I don't feel any great void. Pray for world peace, an end to poverty or whatever. Follow whatever you believe but just leave me out of it. I am not hoping you become an atheist.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say I was going to hold your hand and make you sing hymns with me.

How about I just pray that a tornado comes and cleans out the room for you? Is that OK?

Hall Of Fame
    Man, there's a lot of people gettin' pretty bent about religion in this thread. Good thing it's the first time man has ever thought to get "volatile" over religion, huh? :rolleyes: It really is a shame, the walls these beliefs have constructed over the years. I think it may be the hijacking of unassailable and beautiful philosophies by the small and the frightened that turns me off to organized religion.

I'm a Christian, but I'm so often faced with "please get the hell off of my side, wouldya'?" time instances. By contrast, I know a good Christian couple, who are the most giving, caring folks you'd ever meet. You'll never hear one of them berate someone about damnation, to communicate their beliefs. This couple recently came back from Tanzania, to attend the wife's sister's funeral. In Africa, Tim is helping to construct a water pump and filtration system to provide clean water for a small village.

These folks are spreading the word of Christ. They speak, not with their tongues hot with eternal damnation, but with hands ready for the plowshare. They've taken a leap of faith that would pale all of us who sit in our comfortable chairs and tap tap tap away at a computer. Yet these folks would have a few cold beers ready for me when they through parties at their home. (They, of course, do not drink)

I think that's a lot closer to the method Jesus would've used to spread his Good News.

Just sayin'...

It's pretty clear that Sackdance is the PatsfanTX of religious threads. Just goading people into going crazy, a troll by any other name is still a troll.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

this thread sucks btw...

for future reference if someone posts an offensive picture pm one of the mods to remove it...(also better if you don't quote it so I don't have to edit so many posts and read the swill in this thread :D)

thanks

I always thought Jay was jewish like his mentor the Diceman...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=chirorob;2905181]I didn't say I was going to hold your hand and make you sing hymns with me.

How about I just pray that a tornado comes and cleans out the room for you? Is that OK?[/QUOTE]

Ummmmm....you want a tornado to hit my room? :eek:

Just some clean it for me!

All Pro
    [QUOTE=FF2®;2905578]Ummmmm....you want a tornado to hit my room? :eek:

Just some clean it for me![/QUOTE]

I lived in Rhode Island for almost 20 years. Place could use a few tornados.

All League
    [QUOTE=freestater;2905240]Man, there's a lot of people gettin' pretty bent about religion in this thread. Good thing it's the first time man has ever thought to get "volatile" over religion, huh? :rolleyes: It really is a shame, the walls these beliefs have constructed over the years. I think it may be the hijacking of unassailable and beautiful philosophies by the small and the frightened that turns me off to organized religion.

I'm a Christian, but I'm so often faced with "please get the hell off of my side, wouldya'?" time instances. By contrast, I know a good Christian couple, who are the most giving, caring folks you'd ever meet. You'll never hear one of them berate someone about damnation, to communicate their beliefs. This couple recently came back from Tanzania, to attend the wife's sister's funeral. In Africa, Tim is helping to construct a water pump and filtration system to provide clean water for a small village.

These folks are spreading the word of Christ. They speak, not with their tongues hot with eternal damnation, but with hands ready for the plowshare. They've taken a leap of faith that would pale all of us who sit in our comfortable chairs and tap tap tap away at a computer. Yet these folks would have a[SIZE="4"] cold beers ready for me [/SIZE]few when they through parties at their home. (They, of course, do not drink)

I think that's a lot closer to the method Jesus would've used to spread his Good News.

Just sayin'...[/QUOTE]

======================================================

If they would serve me beer in church I might have to become born again.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=MileHiJetMan;2886348]Sackdance99, as a fellow Christian I remind you that the Bible says "Do not judge, lest you be judged in the same manner.[/QUOTE]

Yes. However, you may not understand what that means. It means not to judge unrighteously, it means not to judge using your human judgment, and it means not to judge hypocritically. In other words, don't substitute your judgment for God's, and don't judge other people when you are guilty of impenitently engaging in the same sins (i.e., Don't cast the first stone). However, there are several verses in the Bible where we are told to judge. "Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment" John 7:24. "But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man" I Corinthians 2:15. "Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?" I Corinthians 6:2.

Many people use the story of the woman taken in adultery as an excuse to not ever preach to anyone. The simple truth of the matter is that Christ not only preached at the woman, but also at all of her accusers. By saying "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her," Christ was not speaking of someone who was entirely free from any and all sin, as there was no such person other than Christ himself. The law of Moses called for the stoning of a person who was caught in adultery and that stoning had to be done by someone who was not guilty of the sin with which the accused was charged. Who Christ is referring to here is someone who is not guilty of some scandalous sin and more particularly, adultery. Christ called the generation in which He lived an adulterous and sinful generation, meaning, at least partially, that adultery was extremely prevalent. Therefore, as was shown by each of the accusers leaving without casting any stone, each of those accusers was just as guilty of adultery, if not more so, than the woman. He preached to them about their hypocrisy, convicting each one of them of their sins to such an extent that none could stand their own conscience. Also, by the very words "Go and sin no more," Christ preached repentance to the woman. Christ did not say "Go and continue living your wicked and adulterous life and I will grant you salvation anyway".

Further, by telling him that was without sin to cast the first stone, Christ showed to the woman that He was merciful, and to her accusers, he showed that He is the searcher of hearts. Christ, not only by His words, but also by His actions, preached that salvation is by grace and not by works. According to the law of Moses, this woman was fully deserving of being stoned to death for her adultery.

Crying "judge not lest you be judged" or "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" is a favorite tactic among so-called Christians, just like it was among the ancient Sodomites. "And they said, Stand back. And they said again, This one fellow came in to sojourn, and he will needs be a judge: now will we deal worse with thee, than with them. And they pressed sore upon the man, even Lot, and came near to break the door" Genesis 19:9. It really doesn't make any sense to use these verses against someone who is following Christ's command to preach to every creature, because preaching and judging aren't the same things. So if you're going to use these verses, at least use them in context - don't be a typical sodomite and say it just because you're too weak-minded to address the issues.

If you still think that we aren't supposed to judge under any circumstances, then you better not tell me to stop judging. Otherwise, you'd be guilty of judging me.

All League
    [QUOTE=sackdance99;2906404]Yes. However, you may not understand what that means. It means not to judge unrighteously, it means not to judge using your human judgment, and it means not to judge hypocritically. In other words, don't substitute your judgment for God's, and don't judge other people when you are guilty of impenitently engaging in the same sins (i.e., Don't cast the first stone). However, there are several verses in the Bible where we are told to judge. "Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment" John 7:24. "But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man" I Corinthians 2:15. "Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?" I Corinthians 6:2.

Many people use the story of the woman taken in adultery as an excuse to not ever preach to anyone. The simple truth of the matter is that Christ not only preached at the woman, but also at all of her accusers. By saying "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her," Christ was not speaking of someone who was entirely free from any and all sin, as there was no such person other than Christ himself. The law of Moses called for the stoning of a person who was caught in adultery and that stoning had to be done by someone who was not guilty of the sin with which the accused was charged. Who Christ is referring to here is someone who is not guilty of some scandalous sin and more particularly, adultery. Christ called the generation in which He lived an adulterous and sinful generation, meaning, at least partially, that adultery was extremely prevalent. Therefore, as was shown by each of the accusers leaving without casting any stone, each of those accusers was just as guilty of adultery, if not more so, than the woman. He preached to them about their hypocrisy, convicting each one of them of their sins to such an extent that none could stand their own conscience. Also, by the very words "Go and sin no more," Christ preached repentance to the woman. Christ did not say "Go and continue living your wicked and adulterous life and I will grant you salvation anyway".

Further, by telling him that was without sin to cast the first stone, Christ showed to the woman that He was merciful, and to her accusers, he showed that He is the searcher of hearts. Christ, not only by His words, but also by His actions, preached that salvation is by grace and not by works. According to the law of Moses, this woman was fully deserving of being stoned to death for her adultery.

Crying "judge not lest you be judged" or "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" is a favorite tactic among so-called Christians, just like it was among the ancient Sodomites. "And they said, Stand back. And they said again, This one fellow came in to sojourn, and he will needs be a judge: now will we deal worse with thee, than with them. And they pressed sore upon the man, even Lot, and came near to break the door" Genesis 19:9. It really doesn't make any sense to use these verses against someone who is following Christ's command to preach to every creature, because preaching and judging aren't the same things. So if you're going to use these verses, at least use them in context - don't be a typical sodomite and say it just because you're too weak-minded to address the issues.

If you still think that we aren't supposed to judge under any circumstances, then you better not tell me to stop judging. Otherwise, you'd be guilty of judging me.[/QUOTE]

:zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz:

Veteran
    [QUOTE=sackdance99;2906404]Yes. However, you may not understand what that means. It means not to judge unrighteously, it means not to judge using your human judgment, and it means not to judge hypocritically. [/QUOTE]

I feel the same way about the electric car. Do not hipocriticly judge it. What about oil addicts? I've got a Ev t-shirt for sale. Proceeds go to nonprofit organization just like church. Do you have a t-shirt about god?
    Last edited by Freeridelectric; 12-11-2008 at 08:17 PM. Reason: puncuation

All League
    [QUOTE=Freeridelectric;2906447]I feel the same way about the electric car. Do not hipocriticly judge it. What about oil addicts? I've got a Ev t-shirt for sale. Proceeds go to nonprofit organization just like church. Do you have a t-shirt about god?[/QUOTE]

I'm more lost reading this post than I am when I read SD99's posts. What are you talking about?

Veteran
    [QUOTE=ReleasetheAnimal;2906468]I'm more lost reading this post than I am when I read SD99's posts. What are you talking about?[/QUOTE]

Sorry. I meant that I have the same conviction and enthusiasm for the electric car as he does about his religion.

About the oil addicts I was asking so to speak what of them? I am a oil addict also. (Burn oil in cars)

About the T-shirt. I am treasurer of the (OEVA) Oregon Electric Vehicles Association. I sell t-shirts for the association. The proceeds go to the nonprofit organization OEVA.

As for the rest I was asking if he had any t-shirts about god. Maybe we could swap or something.

Damn I bet your sorry you ask.:)

Banned
    [QUOTE=freestater;2905240]Man, there's a lot of people gettin' pretty bent about religion in this thread. Good thing it's the first time man has ever thought to get "volatile" over religion, huh? :rolleyes: It really is a shame, the walls these beliefs have constructed over the years. I think it may be the hijacking of unassailable and beautiful philosophies by the small and the frightened that turns me off to organized religion.

These folks are spreading the word of Christ. They speak, not with their tongues hot with eternal damnation, but with hands ready for the plowshare. They've taken a leap of faith that would pale all of us who sit in our comfortable chairs and tap tap tap away at a computer. Yet these folks would have a few cold beers ready for me when they through parties at their home. (They, of course, do not drink)

Just sayin'...[/QUOTE]

:clapper: :clapper: :clapper:

I feel the same way free.

My in-laws are devout catholics (which means they're headed straight to hell according to a$$hole99) They are two of the most decent and selfless people you'd ever meet. They're always volunteering to help with church-organized functions to help the less fortunate. They donate much of their money (which BTW neither of them makes very much to begin with) to charities that help the sick and the poor. There's a frail old woman with no relatives who lives across the street from them that they regularly check up on and talk to. They just live their lives the way Christ wanted us to live. I admire them greatly.

At the same time, I am not much of a religious person. I was baptized catholic, but I rarely go to church or anything like that. My in-laws have never judged me, never criticized my lack of devotion towards religion, and never preach to me. They have their faith and they don't force it upon anyone else. I respect that, and I wish idiots like Bernie would do the same. The world would be a much better place if they did.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;2907083]:clapper: :clapper: :clapper:

I feel the same way free.

My in-laws are devout catholics (which means they're headed straight to hell according to a$$hole99) They are two of the most decent and selfless people you'd ever meet. They're always volunteering to help with church-organized functions to help the less fortunate. They donate much of their money (which BTW neither of them makes very much to begin with) to charities that help the sick and the poor. There's a frail old woman with no relatives who lives across the street from them that they regularly check up on and talk to. They just live their lives the way Christ wanted us to live. I admire them greatly.

At the same time, I am not much of a religious person. I was baptized catholic, but I rarely go to church or anything like that. My in-laws have never judged me, never criticized my lack of devotion towards religion, and never preach to me. They have their faith and they don't force it upon anyone else. I respect that, and I wish idiots like Bernie would do the same. The world would be a much better place if they did.[/QUOTE]

First off, you show me ONE scripture in the bible that says you can or will go to heaven by doing good works. You won't find one. As with most Catholics they have no bible understanding, mainly because they have never cracked one open to see what God actually said. I don't really blame the person who is Catholic but the church who leads them into a false belief system.

If your in-laws knew the truth they would share it with you but you can see they do not. It's not about religion at all. See, all of those on this forum have been given the truth. I have done more for all of you than your own parents in this way, in most cases. I have been loving and kind enough to tell you that unless you repent and get saved you are without a doubt headed to hell when your big day comes, whenever that may be. I'm not going to lie to you. You think it's harsh but let me ask you: if you were driving and saw a bridge down and cars headed towards that bridge would you sit there and watch or would you warn them with every ounce of energy you had for what's to come? The truth is harsh. I use great plainness of speech, and will not beat around the bush when it comes to someone's eternal soul. Watch out for those people who tickle your ears and tell you what you want to hear - they'll take you to hell with them.

All League
    [QUOTE=sackdance99;2907373]First off, you show me ONE scripture in the bible that says you can or will go to heaven by doing good works. You won't find one. As with most Catholics they have no bible understanding, mainly because they have never cracked one open to see what God actually said. I don't really blame the person who is Catholic but the church who leads them into a false belief system.

If your in-laws knew the truth they would share it with you but you can see they do not. It's not about religion at all. See, all of those on this forum have been given the truth. I have done more for all of you than your own parents in this way, in most cases. I have been loving and kind enough to tell you that unless you repent and get saved you are without a doubt headed to hell when your big day comes, whenever that may be. I'm not going to lie to you. You think it's harsh but let me ask you: if you were driving and saw a bridge down and cars headed towards that bridge would you sit there and watch or would you warn them with every ounce of energy you had for what's to come? The truth is harsh. I use great plainness of speech, and will not beat around the bush when it comes to someone's eternal soul. Watch out for those people who tickle your ears and tell you what you want to hear - they'll take you to hell with them.[/QUOTE]

Oh garsh, how did I ever doubt you? You are such a great person! I want to be like you! Yes, you have clearly done more for me than my parents.....

Now, if you excuse me, I have to go start hating gays and not having any fun in my life! YAY!

[QUOTE=sackdance99;2907373]First off, you show me ONE scripture in the bible that says you can or will go to heaven by doing good works. You won't find one. As with most Catholics they have no bible understanding, mainly because they have never cracked one open to see what God actually said. I don't really blame the person who is Catholic but the church who leads them into a false belief system.

If your in-laws knew the truth they would share it with you but you can see they do not. It's not about religion at all. See, all of those on this forum have been given the truth. I have done more for all of you than your own parents in this way, in most cases. I have been loving and kind enough to tell you that unless you repent and get saved you are without a doubt headed to hell when your big day comes, whenever that may be. I'm not going to lie to you. You think it's harsh but let me ask you: if you were driving and saw a bridge down and cars headed towards that bridge would you sit there and watch or would you warn them with every ounce of energy you had for what's to come? The truth is harsh. I use great plainness of speech, and will not beat around the bush when it comes to someone's eternal soul. Watch out for those people who tickle your ears and tell you what you want to hear - they'll take you to hell with them.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if this is the way you think and act in real life, or you are just postering, but you play the role of old-school prophet very well.

If you think those people are going to hell becuase they don't belive in religion the way you do, and not at all related to the way they act towards others... Well, you certainly stand by your convictions. Perhaps you are right, and we are all going to hell, or perhaps, Your god will let you know that he's more interested in the spirit of the law and not the letter, if there is a god, I'm inclined to believe that he wants us to be moral, not tied to a book word for word that constant contradicts itself, and, by the way, has been translated so many times and for many centuries before the printing press that the original stories are probably not quite what was originally said.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=ReleasetheAnimal;2907457]Oh garsh, how did I ever doubt you? You are such a great person! I want to be like you! Yes, you have clearly done more for me than my parents.....

Now, if you excuse me, I have to go start hating gays and not having any fun in my life! YAY![/QUOTE]

Why do you comment on every single post I make? You are obsessed with me aren't you.

:clown:

All League
    [QUOTE=sackdance99;2907502]Why do you comment on every single post I make? You are obsessed with me aren't you.

:clown:[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I don't know. And now I'm scared, because you're probably right about me being obsessed with putting you down. I've been focusing on negative things too much lately. Thanks for letting me see the light! I'll never respond to another one of your posts....