Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: An Open Letter To Bill Maher

[QUOTE=sackdance99;2896217]Jay, right out of the gate it needs to be mentioned that you stated "My God"

That's the whole problem. You are creating your own personal god, one that makes you feel comfortable and one that can justify the way you think. That is called idolatry. The problem is, your god doesn't exist except in your own mind. There is no biblical history, documentation, or prophecy of the god you mentioned. The god you refer to is not the God of the Bible. The main problem with such an approach is that it is overly simplistic and based on emotionalism, not scripture. So, let's look at what the Word of God says.

First of all, when God made Adam, He made him good. Adam had the freedom to choose to obey or disobey God. Adam is the one who rebelled. God did not make him rebel and God is not responsible for Adam's rebellion. It would be like a parent having a child knowing that the child would eventually disobey the parent. Does this means that the parent is responsible for the child's rebellion when it occurs because the parent knew it would happen? Of course not. Furthermore, if the parent has more children, does he/she not know that some children may very well turn out good and others bad? Should the parents then not have children because some of them might turn out bad? The skeptic, if he is consistent, would urge parents not to have any children at all lest some of them turn out bad.

But the skeptic might say, "But God knows for a fact who will be bad and good. Why allow the people going to hell to be born in the first place?" But, if this is the case and if God arranged it that no "bad" people were born, then we would all go to hell. You see, Jesus is the only way to be forgiven of our sins. His sacrifice on the cross was necessary in order to make it possible for us to be saved because everyone, "good" and "bad" has sinned. If there were no "bad" people born, then there wouldn't be any "bad" people around who would have sent Jesus to the cross. If that never happened, then we wouldn't be saved from our sins because Jesus would never have been unjustly condemned and His sacrifice would never have happened.

Second, if someone says that it is wrong for God to allow someone to be born who will go to hell, then would he rather have God remove our freedom to rebel against Him so that no one can be blamed for sin? If the critic says he only want those people born who go to heaven, then how are they truly free and how would that fulfill the ultimate plan of God to sacrifice His Son for the redemption of mankind?

Third, God could have reasons for sending people to hell that we cannot understand.

Fourth, God is just and always does what is right. Therefore, sending people to hell is the right thing to do, especially when we understand that God is eternally holy and those who sin against God incur an infinite offense because the infinite God is the one who is offended.

Finally, the Bible simply tells us that people will go to hell. They go there because they are not covered by the sacrifice of Christ. Whether or not they are created or not does not effect the fact that sinners must be punished; otherwise, the holiness and righteousness of God mean nothing.

How do you know what you feel is right? Haven't your feelings ever turned out to be wrong? Are you are saying that what you feel determines truth? If so, then you are putting yourself in the place of God, and looking to yourself for what you "feel" is right.

If religion is whatever you feel is right, then that could lead to chaos. What if some people had a religion where they felt stealing was acceptable? And what about lying and cheating? Would you trust someone who believed in a religion that felt it was all right to steal, lie, and cheat?

Hitler felt killing Jews was right. He was wrong. The Bible says that the heart is deceitful and untrustworthy (Jer. 17:9). If you could come to know truth by what you felt, then the Bible, which is the revelation of God, didn't need to be written. But it has been written, and it has revealed that only God is the Source of truth, not your feelings.

I've never known truth to contradict itself. What if someone felt that something was right, and another person felt it was wrong? Would they both be right? If your statement is true, then how could there be a contradiction like that, if feelings determined truth?

If all religions are different paths to the same place, then why do the paths contradict each other? Does truth contradict itself? Let's review the teachings of just three religions:

Buddhism is pantheistic and says there is no personal God and everyone can reach "godlikeness" on his own. Islam says that Jesus was just a prophet, and not the only way to God. Christianity says that there is a personal God, and that the only way to Him is through Jesus (John 14:6). If these three religions are, as you say, different paths to the same place, then why do they contradict each other? Does truth contradict itself?

Jay, eternity is a long time to be wrong buddy. You get [U]one shot[/U] at this and that's it. I think you should do some more research on the place you will be spending billions and billions of years at when your big day comes. This life is passing and very, very temporary.[/QUOTE]

Epic...I'm never going to masterbate again.

Question though, does God like sore winners?

All League
    [QUOTE=sackdance99;2896217]Jay, right out of the gate it needs to be mentioned that you stated "My God"

That's the whole problem. You are creating your own personal god, one that makes you feel comfortable and one that can justify the way you think. That is called idolatry. The problem is, your god doesn't exist except in your own mind. There is no biblical history, documentation, or prophecy of the god you mentioned. The god you refer to is not the God of the Bible. The main problem with such an approach is that it is overly simplistic and based on emotionalism, not scripture. So, let's look at what the Word of God says.

First of all, when God made Adam, He made him good. Adam had the freedom to choose to obey or disobey God. Adam is the one who rebelled. God did not make him rebel and God is not responsible for Adam's rebellion. It would be like a parent having a child knowing that the child would eventually disobey the parent. Does this means that the parent is responsible for the child's rebellion when it occurs because the parent knew it would happen? Of course not. Furthermore, if the parent has more children, does he/she not know that some children may very well turn out good and others bad? Should the parents then not have children because some of them might turn out bad? The skeptic, if he is consistent, would urge parents not to have any children at all lest some of them turn out bad.

But the skeptic might say, "But God knows for a fact who will be bad and good. Why allow the people going to hell to be born in the first place?" But, if this is the case and if God arranged it that no "bad" people were born, then we would all go to hell. You see, Jesus is the only way to be forgiven of our sins. His sacrifice on the cross was necessary in order to make it possible for us to be saved because everyone, "good" and "bad" has sinned. If there were no "bad" people born, then there wouldn't be any "bad" people around who would have sent Jesus to the cross. If that never happened, then we wouldn't be saved from our sins because Jesus would never have been unjustly condemned and His sacrifice would never have happened.

Second, if someone says that it is wrong for God to allow someone to be born who will go to hell, then would he rather have God remove our freedom to rebel against Him so that no one can be blamed for sin? If the critic says he only want those people born who go to heaven, then how are they truly free and how would that fulfill the ultimate plan of God to sacrifice His Son for the redemption of mankind?

Third, God could have reasons for sending people to hell that we cannot understand.

Fourth, God is just and always does what is right. Therefore, sending people to hell is the right thing to do, especially when we understand that God is eternally holy and those who sin against God incur an infinite offense because the infinite God is the one who is offended.

Finally, the Bible simply tells us that people will go to hell. They go there because they are not covered by the sacrifice of Christ. Whether or not they are created or not does not effect the fact that sinners must be punished; otherwise, the holiness and righteousness of God mean nothing.

How do you know what you feel is right? Haven't your feelings ever turned out to be wrong? Are you are saying that what you feel determines truth? If so, then you are putting yourself in the place of God, and looking to yourself for what you "feel" is right.

If religion is whatever you feel is right, then that could lead to chaos. What if some people had a religion where they felt stealing was acceptable? And what about lying and cheating? Would you trust someone who believed in a religion that felt it was all right to steal, lie, and cheat?

Hitler felt killing Jews was right. He was wrong. The Bible says that the heart is deceitful and untrustworthy (Jer. 17:9). If you could come to know truth by what you felt, then the Bible, which is the revelation of God, didn't need to be written. But it has been written, and it has revealed that only God is the Source of truth, not your feelings.

I've never known truth to contradict itself. What if someone felt that something was right, and another person felt it was wrong? Would they both be right? If your statement is true, then how could there be a contradiction like that, if feelings determined truth?

If all religions are different paths to the same place, then why do the paths contradict each other? Does truth contradict itself? Let's review the teachings of just three religions:

Buddhism is pantheistic and says there is no personal God and everyone can reach "godlikeness" on his own. Islam says that Jesus was just a prophet, and not the only way to God. Christianity says that there is a personal God, and that the only way to Him is through Jesus (John 14:6). If these three religions are, as you say, different paths to the same place, then why do they contradict each other? Does truth contradict itself?

Jay, eternity is a long time to be wrong buddy. You get [U]one shot[/U] at this and that's it. I think you should do some more research on the place you will be spending billions and billions of years at when your big day comes. This life is passing and very, very temporary.[/QUOTE]

I didn't read the whole post, but I imagine it said something like....blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah i'm right and everyone else is wrong BLAH

Pretty much the gist of it, right? Man, this is getting too easy.

[QUOTE=sackdance99;2896217] [B]I think you should do some more research on the place you will be spending billions and billions of years at when your big day comes. [/B]This life is passing and very, very temporary.[/QUOTE]

Research??? Are you kidding me? Show us a peer reviewed journal that justifies the existence of any of your fairy tales. Show me Hell, SHow me Heaven. Get it through your head; your the same decomposing matter as everything else on this planet. Your actions are judged no more after death than an ants.

If you have nothing to contribute in regards to football, why are you here?

All League
    [QUOTE=SantanaMoss83;2896447]Research??? Are you kidding me? Show us a peer reviewed journal that justifies the existence of any of your fairy tales. Show me Hell, SHow me Heaven. Get it through your head; your the same decomposing matter as everything else on this planet. Your actions are judged no more after death than an ants.

If you have nothing to contribute in regards to football, why are you here?[/QUOTE]

Clearly, he's a messenger from god sent to guide football fans the right way. And he's failing miserably. I hear god is rather unhappy.

You chastise me for referring to "my God"... then you continue to type and type and type until you write

Christianity says that there is a personal God

Pick a side.

All League
    Psssst....jayjay....use some of that star power to get Sooth to axe this clown, will ya?? :D

I have a question regarding eternal damnation for those that do not accept The Christ...what happened to everyone born BEFORE Jesus was?
    That is a LOT of flaming souls.

you wrote:

"Finally, the Bible simply tells us that people will go to hell."

The Bible also tells us that Lot had sex with both of his daughters.
    The Bible tells us that Moses parted the Red Sea. What happened when Moses UN-PARTED the Red Sea? Hundreds of thousands Egyptians drowned to death. Sooooo, what happened to THOU SHALL NOT KILL?
    The Bible tells us that Jesus said, "I have no mother" on his walk to Galilee. What happened to NOT FORESAKING YOUR PARENTS.
    The Bible repeatedly instructs us that we are to love our neighbors. Many times in the Bible, jesus says his neighbors are " like vipers" and speak with forked tongues. Not very loving.
    The Bible tells us that there was a great flood and Noah built an arc. For 40 days and 40 nights, all of Earth was miles under water...yet science has located puddles on Mars before cracking the magic mystery of the ENTIRE PLANET BEING UNDER WATER!!!

If you are going to throw quotes out and interpret the Bible literally, I suggest you read John Shelby Spong's book called RESCUING THE BIBLE FROM FUNDAMENTALISM.
    For the record, I am a Christian. A Catholic actually. I converted because of my enormous love of Christ.
    I'm not sure where you are coming from but thank you for trying to save my soul. My wife and children find it to be quite clean.
    regards, jj

[QUOTE=jayjay;2896471]you wrote:

The Bible tells us that Moses parted the Red Sea. What happened when Moses UN-PARTED the Red Sea? Hundreds of thousands Egyptians drowned to death. Sooooo, what happened to THOU SHALL NOT KILL?
    The Bible tells us that Jesus said, "I have no mother" on his walk to Galilee. What happened to NOT FORESAKING YOUR PARENTS.
    The Bible repeatedly instructs us that we are to love our neighbors. Many times in the Bible, jesus says his neighbors are " like vipers" and speak with forked tongues. Not very loving.
    The Bible tells us that there was a great flood and Noah built an arc. For 40 days and 40 nights, all of Earth was miles under water...yet science has located puddles on Mars before cracking the magic mystery of the ENTIRE PLANET BEING UNDER WATER!!!

If you are going to throw quotes out and interpret the Bible literally, I suggest you read John Shelby Spong's book called RESCUING THE BIBLE FROM FUNDAMENTALISM.
    For the record, I am a Christian. A Catholic actually. I converted because of my enormous love of Christ.
    I'm not sure where you are coming from but thank you for trying to save my soul. My wife and children find it to be quite clean.
    regards, jj[/QUOTE]

+10,000

All League
    [QUOTE=jayjay;2896471]you wrote:

regards, jj[/QUOTE]

OOOOOOOOHHH, Bernie just got pwned by Jay Mohr!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jayjay;2896455]You chastise me for referring to "my God"... then you continue to type and type and type until you write

Christianity says that there is a personal God

Pick a side.[/QUOTE]

You keep contradicting yourself. It is clear that you have never read the bible nor understand it. The god that you refer to is NOT the same God of the bible, clearly. The God of the bible speaks more about hell than heaven, and that most will go to hell because they have denied the one true God and have created a god of their own to serve. You must accept the one true God or your own god.

You claim that you are a Christian, then you say you're actually a Catholic. Which is it? When did you get saved? Do you realize that the two are not at all similar. If you had an understanding of the bible you would pick up on this relatively easy but as with all Catholics you do not read the scriptures. I was brought up Catholic my whole life then when I started comparing the bible to what was being taught I was stunned that I was being fed lies all those years. I didn't walk, I ran from the Catholic church.

You pulled some snippets from the bible but you failed to pull them in their entire context, classic maneuver by those who try to disprove the bible. If you have an enormous love for Christ then you should be very curious about what He said right? Of course!

Come on jayjay stop reading books from John Shelby Spong when you have the Word of God. That man is a Bishop of the Catholic Church so I cannot take his words serious. He believes in Purgatory, yikes! I'll stop there...

Also, regarding your question on all the flaming souls before Jesus came. This is very simple. This is why you should examine the bible because it is one of the most fundamental things of the Old Testament. The remission of sins came through the sacrificing of animals (in short). When Jesus came, He became the blood sacrifice for sins so that you may have eternal life.

Do you believe the Word of God is true? If so then it must be accepted as complete truth. You cannot take things from it piecemeal. This is another fundamental truth of Christianity. You cannot just accept the things that you like and dismiss the things that you don't. So, I ask YOU to pick a side. Otherwise, toss the entire bible into the trash and just continue to do what feels good.
    Last edited by sackdance99; 12-07-2008 at 12:13 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jayjay;2896816]okay.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.faithflashes.com/art/images/Victory%20Through%20Jesus.jpg[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=sackdance99;2896870][IMG]http://www.faithflashes.com/art/images/Victory%20Through%20Jesus.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.tshirthell.com/shirts/products/a1183/a1183_thumb.jpg[/IMG]

All League
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2896907][IMG]http://www.tshirthell.com/shirts/products/a1183/a1183_thumb.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

LMAO!!

All League
    [QUOTE=sackdance99;2896870][IMG]http://www.faithflashes.com/art/images/Victory%20Through%20Jesus.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Don't get all happy thinking you've won. Jay Mohr just finally realized what a kook you are and knew it wasn't worth it to argue with you....

Jets Insider VIP
    Won? My gosh, it was never a challenge to begin with. There were so many holes in the points he made it was atrocious. I didn't even know where to begin. The more he wrote the more I was perplexed by the fact he was resting his eternal fate on his own personal feelings. The poor guy is so confused that I feel sad for him.

All League
    [QUOTE=sackdance99;2899118]Won? My gosh, it was never a challenge to begin with. There were so many holes in the points he made it was atrocious. I didn't even know where to begin. The more he wrote the more I was perplexed by the fact he was resting his eternal fate on his own personal feelings. The poor guy is so confused that I feel sad for him.[/QUOTE]

Sweet.

So really, you didn't answer me before, what kind of TV do we get in Hell? Can I watch Jet games?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=sackdance99;2899118]Won? My gosh, it was never a challenge to begin with. There were so many holes in the points he made it was atrocious. I didn't even know where to begin. The more he wrote the more I was perplexed by the fact he was resting his eternal fate on his own personal feelings. The poor guy is so confused that I feel sad for him.[/QUOTE]

Don't feel sad, he was in Jerry Mcguire.

Jets Insider VIP

Sorry dude...but you should be feeling sad for yourself...we all are. You see, with me...at least I know where I'm going. But you've convinced yourself that you are going to heaven...which you indeed are not. You are the ones that the bible says will be gnashing their teeth...and your torment in hell will be worse than anything I will get....since God doesn't take lightly people who misrepresent him and who take glee and great delight in wishing death upon their fellow man. You will be sodomized for an eternity by demons because of your latent and hidden homosexual tendencies.