Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SEC Discussion Thread

SEC Discussion Thread

Time to get more discussion pumping about college football and the draft...

-I hope teams don't label Harvin as strictly a WR because he's damn good out of the back-field as well. Nobody in college football has his first step or cutting ability but he also has underrated vision and patience when used as a running back. If teams see him more as a Reggie Bush-like weapon and get over the fact he might not be a prototypical #1 WR, than they'll maximize their return. I don't think teams will and combine that with his injury history and the lack of production by UF WR's in the pros, he could struggle to go 1st round.

-Jeff Demps really surprised me. I knew he was going to be a blurr, but I was worried he'd be more of a sprinter at first and maybe not so much a football player. WRONG. He's been unbelievable and runs a lot tougher than he looks. Chris Rainey dominated in the spring game and was predicted to breakout after he had to redshirt his freshman year due to an injury. Demps almost qualified for the Olympics in the 100 meter and Rainey has outrun Demps on occasion. Speed kills in college football...

-UF might already have one of the best interior OL in college football, even though both their guards and their center are all sophomores. Maurkice Pouncey obviously made a name for himself by handling Glenn Dorsey(albeit he was nicked), and although his brother Mike was forced into playing DT last year(and playing well there mind you), he has apparently graded out higher than his brother this year according to an SI article. The surprise has been SO. LG Carl Johnson, though, who I have discussed. He moved from LT to LG after both the starter and backup went down and he has been nothing short of spectacular. These 3 guys vs. Cody and McClain in the SEC Championship will be a great match-up.

-Carlos Dunlap is tied for the SEC lead in sacks with 9, despite sharing time with Justin Trattou. I still believe he has Mario Williams potential. Massive frame, great athlete, and is already putting up big numbers as a sophomore AS A PART TIMER. Others will catch wind of him next year, guaranteed. Props to Justin Trattou for playing well enough to take playing time from him. He was a highly recruited guy who played DT as a true freshman and actually played well. He doesn't have the sexy numbers Dunlap has but he's obviously doing something right to share time with Dunlap. He's got a non-stop motor. Now just wait for the rest of those 5-star DL come around(Torrey Davis, John Brown, Omar Hunter, Matt Patchan) Look out...

-Brandon Spikes improved big-time in pass defense this year and is probably ready to make the jump. Spikes is obviously an emotional leader and an intimidator in the middle of a defense. He's at his best playing downhill. He can shoot gaps, shed blocks and is a fantastic tackler. He can sometimes get lost when pursuing laterally and although he has made strides in the pass game, he'll still sometimes go for the big hit rather than look for the ball. His play can also be streaky but he has never disappointed in a big game. Spikes brings versatility though as UF likes to rush him off the edge on occasion so despite obviously being able to play MLB in the 4-3, I believe he can play both inside and outside in the 3-4.

-What a difference in UF's secondary this year as opposed the last. Haden was solid- for a freshman- last year but now teams are totally avoiding him. That sucks for opposing teams though because FR. Janoris Jenkins has been just as good, if not better. I think he'll go down as the best CB in UF history. UF also lucked out in a sense with S Ahmad Black. He wasn't supposed to start but was sprung into a starting role due to an injury. He's not the biggest or the fastest, but he's said to be the best wrap-up tackler on Florida's team and might have the best instincts. I believe he's tied for the NCAA lead in INT- he's just always in the right place at the right time.

-I thought Arian Foster was going to break out but he could never fix his fumbling problems. He really disappointed me, just like the rest of Tennessee. The one guy who didn't though is Eric Berry. He was the best safety in college football but on a god-awful team. I wish he was a bit bigger, but he's fast, athletic, and has unworldly instincts and ball-skills. If he keeps it up, he'll be a top 15 pick. Hopefully Kiffin's offense will be conducive for a Brandon Warren break-out next year...

-Alabama obviously has the best running game in the nation. Andre Smith is a top 5 pick at LT. He just moves people wherever. Teams know they're going to run behind him and they still can't stop it because Smith is just so dominant. Coffee's stock has risen big-time this year and Ingram has been a great compliment. I love Coffee's patience- he knows the holes will open eventually but if he sees an opening, he'll get through it in a hurry...

-John Parker Wilson has found his niche this year because he's not asked to win games, just manage them. He plays smart but doesn't do anything amazing. That's good for winning college football games, but he's a mid-late 2nd day guy. I'm not letting Alabama's success fool me, I'm not sold...

-Alabama's TE's Nick Walker and in particular Travis McCall will find homes in the NFL somewhere. Especially McCall- great future h-back who will make his money as a blocker. He won't be some fantastic pro-bowler but he'll fill a niche for some team and have a very nice career.

-Much has been written about Cody. He's obviously a specimen- he not-only will take on double-teams but he'll destroy them and has some fantastic athleticism for a guy his size. 3-4 teams in the NFL are drooling over him. Even if I'm one of the few 3-4 teams with a solid 3-4 NT, I'd take him in the 1st. Supply and demand...

-At the same time, Alabama also the perfect linebackers for the 3-4, especially McClain and Hightower- they're both big AND fast. McClain will be better than Rey Mualuga when he's a SR.

-Rashad Johnson has been a huge playmaker and leader for them. Great football instincts, ball-skills, and he plays faster than he times. I don't think he's athletic enough for the 1st round, but I'd take him in the 2nd...

I'll comment more later...

good read GGI

-harvin as a chris johnson/reggie bush type of player - i can see that. people value playmakers and they value TDs - Harvin brings that - late first pending workouts.

-Im a big buyer on Dunlap, also Cunningham is real deal

- agreed on Demps he's like LSU Holliday but with better football speed.

- coffee is ok but the kid ingram could be excellent

- agree on the alabama TE and rashad johnson, these are guys that get "shady" invites to Mobile senior bowl (i.e. local players getting preferential treatment) but turn out to be very good players - Leron mcclain was such an invite.

Indeed, Ingram will be a stud. I like his build a little better and seems to have more athleticism.

Cunningham has been steady this year. He flashed when teams were focused on Harvey and has had to adjust to being "the guy." He's been playing the run better...

Some other thoughts...

-Ole Miss wins because dominate the trenches, like Alabama but to a lesser degree. Florida's loss to them looks less bad every week because they're a legitimately good team. Oher made the right decision coming back and has definitely improved. Jevan Snead has impressed me. It's his first year stating so he still tries to do to much but he's a playmaker. Good arm, gunslinger's mentality, and can make plays with his feet. I bet he loved sticking it to Florida after the whole recruitment thing...

-As I've said, Peria Jerry doesn't get enough love. He's a first day guy and if he tests well, 1st rounder. Yeah he's always nicked, but he plays through the injuries. Devastating first step- he gets off the ball and into the backfield before the OL are even out of their stances. He'll play over the nose too and hold up at the point. He'll have a fantastic career in the NFL

-I've decided Greg Hardy's a turd. He's a top 5 pick when he wants to play but when is that? College coaches will realize this and he won't go as high as he should. MAYBE late 1st...if he's lucky...a total boom or bust pick. The guy I'm liking now is the guy who has replaced him, SO. Kentrall Lockett. He doesn't have big sack numbers but he has played the run as good as any DE in the SEC already. He'll use his long arms to keep separation from his man at plays at him but also crashes down the line like a missile when he's chasing the play. I hope he continues to get bigger, stronger, faster and works on his pass-rush moves, because he could be a stud.

-LSU's best DL this year? Easy, IMO. Rahim Alem. He's the brother of S Chad Jones so the insane athleticism runs in the family. He's put up some big numbers this year in part-time duty because he's a blur off the edge. He'll get more love once he develops his all-around game his SR. year and isn't overshadowed by the likes of Jackson and Pittman.

-Speaking of the other guys mentioned, LSU's defense sucked in general but Jones hasn't made the steps he should have made by now. He's got elite athleticism and Miles predicted he could be the best S in LSU history his freshman year, but he didn't shine like I thought he would this year. Also, I'm still not a Jackson fan. He'll be like Marcus Spears. He just doesn't offer anything as a pass-rusher. I'll can find 3-4 DE's that can control gaps and do little else later in the draft. If I'm a 4-3 team, I'm trying him at the 5-t in the post-season like Monte Kiffin and the Bucs Staff did with Adam Carriker

All Pro
    Great reads! I will add my two cents about Georgia who I watched closely throughout a tough year for the Bulldogs...

Matthew Stafford has all the tools to be an all world quarterback. He his big, you will see him throw the deep ball as effortlessly as it gets and he has good mechanics. He has also won a certain number of games in the last two years and he has gained a lot of experience in the SEC. With that said, you always have to wonder with him why he doesn't do better with the boatload of talent he possesses. Part of it is that Georgia's is a run based offense first but part of it is also Stafford's inconsistency. He has to do a better job of checking his options and of utilizing the short passing game, something Georgia rarely did throughout the year.

Both WRs for the Bulldogs had solid to good seasons. Massaquoi has finally worked on his drops and his toughness and he has become a strong possession receiver. He's nothing special though in terms of a total package unlike his freshman teammate A.J. Green. He has everything you look for in a number one wideout - size, speed, good hands and the ability to take over a game. If he adds some bulk and gets more comfortable in his routes, he will be a first rounder down the road, there's no doubt about it.

We all know Knowshon Moreno and I guess, even as a Florida, Alabama or Auburn fan, you have to respect and somehow like this guy a little bit. GREAT character and personality, always respects his opponents and he just has that certain it you look for in a running back. His character is just one of the great talents Moreno brings to the table. His cutback ability is out of this world, he can run inside and outside, has good vision. Georgia struggled a lot with injuries this year across the Oline which clearly hurt them yet Moreno still had a great year. He could be a little bigger but also added some size from freshman to sophomore year so there's no problem with that. He gives you a complete weapon at running back and he will give you a face for your franchise, definitaly a first rounder.

On defense Georgia is mainly a team that will present perfect fits for 4-3 teams as Richt builds his D around speed, speed and again, speed. The linebackers are outstanding in shooting gaps, getting to the ballcarrier and covering the field from sideline to sideline. Dannell Ellerbe is the most talented and most versatile of the bunch (closely followed by sophomore Rennie Curran who at 5-11 is as tough a LB you will find) and could even fit in the 3-4 in the middle. His best fit looks to be the 4-3 though, he also had some injury issues this year. Georgia's DLine mostly played inspectacular this year, they are quick and agile but can be overpowered by size and strength as some games showed this year. Geno Atkins struggled to raise his stock without Georgia's best Dlineman Jeff Owens out for the season.

The secondary has some interesting names in it, especially Reshad Jones and Asher Allen. Both are as physical as it gets for DBs and are outstanding athletically, especially Jones. Allen doesn't have great size but could excel in an aggressive system that allows him to get physical with the receivers at the line. Jones is lanky but covers a lot of ground and he can lay the wood in run support. Extremely aggressive player, at times plays a little stupid though.

Brannan Southerland is the best FB coming out of college football this season. Big, tough, can pound the ball in the endzone and is extremely adapt at finding the right angle for his blocks. Very experienced and a player that coaches love.

I won't comment on the Georgia OLine as they are mainly freshmen and sophomores. The best prospect here, Trinton Sturdivant at LT, was out for the season and one of the many key injuries the Bulldogs faced throughout a rough year. Their defense didn't live up to their potential, partly due to bad strategy, partly to the loss of Owens and Ellerbe. It's gonna be interesting how the Bulldogs will look next year as Stafford and Moreno both could enter the draft (Moreno is a redshirt sophomore). If they decide to stay, they once again will give Richt one of the most explosive and talented skill player combinations in the entire nation with guys like Green or King added to the mix. Geno Atkins is going to be back and Owens could be a fifth year senior. With him back the Bulldogs and the offensive playmakers returning they would have a chance to be really good next season. They are deep on the OLine and due to a lot of injuries this year have a lot of young but experienced guys. The secondary and LB corps are versatile and deep. We'll see what happens, gonna be an interesting summer for Georgia...

how do you guys feel about Tebow as a pro QB prospect? where do you see him getting drafted?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;2891017]how do you guys feel about Tebow as a pro QB prospect? where do you see him getting drafted?[/QUOTE]

He has some things going for him like work ethic, winner mentality, big body, tough minded and all that. But I just don't like his passing game or him under center. It's just my personal view but GGI might say a bit more as a Gators fan...

Oh and good point about Eric Berry, this guy is just crazy good. They even played him on both offense and defense around midseason which is just incredible these days and considering how nasty the SEC is.

[QUOTE=Flaming Mo;2891630]He has some things going for him like work ethic, winner mentality, big body, tough minded and all that. But I just don't like his passing game or him under center. It's just my personal view but GGI might say a bit more as a Gators fan...

Oh and good point about Eric Berry, this guy is just crazy good. They even played him on both offense and defense around midseason which is just incredible these days and considering how nasty the SEC is.[/QUOTE]

Tebow has the tools to be an NFL quarterback- he's not some scrawny kid in a system that covers up his inability to throw the 15 yd. deep out on a line. He's big, has a strong arm, and has all the intangibles Super Bowl winning quarterbacks have.

He has more tools than Alex Smith, but therein lies the problem. Him being measured next to Alex Smith.

Smith failed coming out of the same system. That's a killer.

Tebow's going to need to be completely reprogrammed. He needs to take snaps under center, dropping back to pass, and going through the progressions while he does this. Although he'll still be a weapon as a runner, he won't be able to run over linebackers at the next level(something he's already preparing for as he's taking a lot less hits), and his throwing-motion will need to be altered because it's so slow that DB's will be able to jump throws.

I think he'll be drafted as a quarterback and get some special packages the first 2-3 years he re-learns the quarterback position. Then, if he fails, I think you'll see the team that drafts him move him to TE/FB.

Don't be surprised if the Patriots take a shot at him in the middle rounds and develop him this way- BB will talk to his buddy Meyer and install some spread option packages and use Tebow in short-yardage situations while he develops in a low-pressure situation behind Brady.

[QUOTE=Flaming Mo;2890830]Great reads! I will add my two cents about Georgia who I watched closely throughout a tough year for the Bulldogs...

Matthew Stafford has all the tools to be an all world quarterback. He his big, you will see him throw the deep ball as effortlessly as it gets and he has good mechanics. He has also won a certain number of games in the last two years and he has gained a lot of experience in the SEC. With that said, you always have to wonder with him why he doesn't do better with the boatload of talent he possesses. Part of it is that Georgia's is a run based offense first but part of it is also Stafford's inconsistency. He has to do a better job of checking his options and of utilizing the short passing game, something Georgia rarely did throughout the year.

Both WRs for the Bulldogs had solid to good seasons. Massaquoi has finally worked on his drops and his toughness and he has become a strong possession receiver. He's nothing special though in terms of a total package unlike his freshman teammate A.J. Green. He has everything you look for in a number one wideout - size, speed, good hands and the ability to take over a game. If he adds some bulk and gets more comfortable in his routes, he will be a first rounder down the road, there's no doubt about it.

We all know Knowshon Moreno and I guess, even as a Florida, Alabama or Auburn fan, you have to respect and somehow like this guy a little bit. GREAT character and personality, always respects his opponents and he just has that certain it you look for in a running back. His character is just one of the great talents Moreno brings to the table. His cutback ability is out of this world, he can run inside and outside, has good vision. Georgia struggled a lot with injuries this year across the Oline which clearly hurt them yet Moreno still had a great year. He could be a little bigger but also added some size from freshman to sophomore year so there's no problem with that. He gives you a complete weapon at running back and he will give you a face for your franchise, definitaly a first rounder.

On defense Georgia is mainly a team that will present perfect fits for 4-3 teams as Richt builds his D around speed, speed and again, speed. The linebackers are outstanding in shooting gaps, getting to the ballcarrier and covering the field from sideline to sideline. Dannell Ellerbe is the most talented and most versatile of the bunch (closely followed by sophomore Rennie Curran who at 5-11 is as tough a LB you will find) and could even fit in the 3-4 in the middle. His best fit looks to be the 4-3 though, he also had some injury issues this year. Georgia's DLine mostly played inspectacular this year, they are quick and agile but can be overpowered by size and strength as some games showed this year. Geno Atkins struggled to raise his stock without Georgia's best Dlineman Jeff Owens out for the season.

The secondary has some interesting names in it, especially Reshad Jones and Asher Allen. Both are as physical as it gets for DBs and are outstanding athletically, especially Jones. Allen doesn't have great size but could excel in an aggressive system that allows him to get physical with the receivers at the line. Jones is lanky but covers a lot of ground and he can lay the wood in run support. Extremely aggressive player, at times plays a little stupid though.

Brannan Southerland is the best FB coming out of college football this season. Big, tough, can pound the ball in the endzone and is extremely adapt at finding the right angle for his blocks. Very experienced and a player that coaches love.

I won't comment on the Georgia OLine as they are mainly freshmen and sophomores. The best prospect here, Trinton Sturdivant at LT, was out for the season and one of the many key injuries the Bulldogs faced throughout a rough year. Their defense didn't live up to their potential, partly due to bad strategy, partly to the loss of Owens and Ellerbe. It's gonna be interesting how the Bulldogs will look next year as Stafford and Moreno both could enter the draft (Moreno is a redshirt sophomore). If they decide to stay, they once again will give Richt one of the most explosive and talented skill player combinations in the entire nation with guys like Green or King added to the mix. Geno Atkins is going to be back and Owens could be a fifth year senior. With him back the Bulldogs and the offensive playmakers returning they would have a chance to be really good next season. They are deep on the OLine and due to a lot of injuries this year have a lot of young but experienced guys. The secondary and LB corps are versatile and deep. We'll see what happens, gonna be an interesting summer for Georgia...[/QUOTE]

Thanks for doing Georgia, Mo. Very good stuff.

Stafford's throwing vertically whether it's there or not. He's more stubborn than inconsistent. Like you said, this attitude is never going to completely leave him- like Favre- but he's got to stop "hitting on 20." You have to learn to check down, you have to take your chances only when the time is right.

AJ Green and Julio Jones might both be top 5 picks in the 2011 draft. Although it was a bad year for the SEC and it's offenses, they're already two of the best WR in the SEC.

Sturdivant's a stud. Definitely hurt losing him. He's got a good shot at being a 1st rounder. But the guy who replaced him- forgot his name, I'll go back and check- played REALLY well vs. LSU. I'm going to watch Georgia in the bowl and go back and watch some games. Ben Jones, the center, was inconsistent as a freshman but that's to be expected. He's got some athleticism...

Ellerbe's solid, but I don't know about him in the 3-4. That might be a stretch but I won't ssay for sure yet. I can see Curran being the next London Fletcher...

Yeah, I don't know where Atkins was all season. Major disappointment. You only ball when you have another stud next to you? Get out of here...

Agree on Allen and Jones- Jones is rumored to be a 4.3 guy- both good athletes. Allen's ball-skills could be better but he's successful because he's so physical...

I think the difference between Percy and Reggie is that he might be a better pure WR in comparison to Bush.
    Last edited by dogtown123; 12-13-2008 at 11:24 PM.

Also, Pegues didn't have the SR. year I had hoped for as I believe he battled some injuries but I'm still high on him. He's got fantastic instincts and ball skills and can contribute right away on special teams. I hope he doesn't get lost in what is a very strong year for safeties.

LB Dominic Douglas also stood out this year. He was moved inside to take Jamar Chaney's spot, who was injured, and he flew around and made a lot of plays for Mississippi State. I think he's draftable with a chance to move up if he runs well...

[QUOTE=dogtown123;2908972]I think the difference between Percy and Reggie is that he might be a better pure WR in comparison to Bush.[/QUOTE]

Percy's also got really underrated vision and patience as a runner, which is why I hope he gets touches in the run game. He's actually a very natural ball-carrier, and I don't think that many people know that about him.

All League
    How many guys fromt he SEC has Tangini drafted? 1? and he was cut if im not mistaken

[QUOTE=FreshBaked 24 7;2914238]How many guys fromt he SEC has Tangini drafted? 1? and he was cut if im not mistaken[/QUOTE]

Erik Ainge and Nate Garner...2 IIRC. I looked this up the other day as I looked into this very trend as well.

Banned
    If the Lions don't draft Michael Oher #1 they are out of their minds. He's as can't miss as it gets and would fix their O-line single-handed.

As bad as things look for the Lions they have a chance to have both the best WR and the best OT in the NFL a couple years from now.

[QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;2915646]If the Lions don't draft Michael Oher #1 they are out of their minds. He's as can't miss as it gets and would fix their O-line single-handed.

As bad as things look for the Lions they have a chance to have both the best WR and the best OT in the NFL a couple years from now.[/QUOTE]

That'd be just the type of reach the Lions would make.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=gangGREENinsider;2915880]That'd be just the type of reach the Lions would make.[/QUOTE]

Would you consider Oher even the #1 tackle? I'd consider Smith over Oher.

[QUOTE=Jets Voice of Reason;2916003]Would you consider Oher even the #1 tackle? I'd consider Smith over Oher.[/QUOTE]

Nope. Smith> Oher

I'm still in the process of determining if Oher's even the top SR. OT...

" Tennessee Robert Ayers might be the best outside pass rusher I saw all year. His get off quicks were second to none and I predict by draft time Robert will be high on every club’s draft board and runs like a quarter horse. He has got an absolute ton of athletic skills and play making ability. For now I see him as a bottom of the first top of the second selection. Oh and by the way, remember you heard it first on scout.com!"

[url]http://oak.scout.com/a.z?s=66&p=2&c=821834[/url]

Wow, Ayers is a very underrated edge-rusher and was very productive this year but a first round projection is ballsy- I like ballsy.

What think you?

All League
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;2915646]If the Lions don't draft Michael Oher #1 they are out of their minds. He's as can't miss as it gets and would fix their O-line single-handed.

As bad as things look for the Lions they have a chance to have both the best WR and the best OT in the NFL a couple years from now.[/QUOTE]

the Lions have two 1st round picks and from what i understand Tackle is pretty deep this year

if they go QB with their first pick and LT with the other that would be the most progress that franchise has made in probably a decade

now if they were really smart they'd take Duke Robinson in the second or Alex Mack if he falls but lets not go that far just yet ;)

All League
    [QUOTE=gangGREENinsider;2915454]Erik Ainge and Nate Garner...2 IIRC. I looked this up the other day as I looked into this very trend as well.[/QUOTE]

ahhh that's right i forgot about Ainge... thanks for clearing that up