Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Does Pacquiao Stand A Chance?

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    4,220
    Post Thanks / Like

    Does Pacquiao Stand A Chance?

    Does anybody realistically think he can win? This would be one of the biggest upsets in boxing history if he pulls this one off.

  2. #2
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Walla Walla, Wa.
    Posts
    759
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hoya's 3-3 in his last 6.

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    4,220
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfrantik View Post
    Hoya's 3-3 in his last 6.
    True, but the size differential is overwhelming! If De La Hoya were a shot fighter, I'd buy your argument. But he has been competitive in his losses.

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Middlesex County, NJ
    Posts
    3,339
    Post Thanks / Like
    De La Hoya made a career out of beating smaller men....He has never been dominant above 140.

    Pacquiao's best chance is to smother De La Hoya and disrupt his rythym....De La Hoya is best when he develops a rythym and uses his superior ring generalship....Pac CANNOT stay on the end of Oscars punches....He has to stick his jab in Oscars face everytime he is set to punch and then get inside on Oscars chest and beat the body....Remember Hopkins? (I know Hopkins was bigger than Pac is, but he only weighed 156 for that fight).

    Another issue is that Pac is a southpaw....De La Hoya knows how to fight southpaws, so Pac needs to watch out for the the hook and the straight right hand....Pac needs to move, move, move and keep his right foot on the outside, circling left away from the right hand.

    EDIT: I just learned that they are using 8 oz. gloves....I don't know if any of you have ever laced up an 8 oz. glove, but they're not much more than glorified mittens....I'm not sure what brand they are using, but if it's a Reyes or a Grant glove, it definately benefits the bigger puncher.
    Last edited by crazyeffinjetsfan; 12-06-2008 at 09:24 AM.

  5. #5
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Walla Walla, Wa.
    Posts
    759
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by simijet View Post
    True, but the size differential is overwhelming! If De La Hoya were a shot fighter, I'd buy your argument. But he has been competitive in his losses.
    I'll take Pacquiao. Needs this fight more than La Hoya. Same reason I'm taking Dallas +3 over Pitt. I also agree with crazyeffinjetsfan in that Pac has got to get inside, and not at the end of that jab.

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    4,220
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfrantik View Post
    I'll take Pacquiao. Needs this fight more than La Hoya. Same reason I'm taking Dallas +3 over Pitt. I also agree with crazyeffinjetsfan in that Pac has got to get inside, and not at the end of that jab.
    I hope you're right. I love Pacquiao and have never been a fan of Oscar's.

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Hoboken
    Posts
    692
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pac man wins.

  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Middlesex County, NJ
    Posts
    3,339
    Post Thanks / Like
    Weigh-in:

    Pacquiao - 142

    De La Hoya - 145

    Pac Man looked healthy and ripped, De La Hoya looked gaunt....The lighter weight may affect Oscar.

  9. #9
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,953
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pac's got a great shot simply due to how naturally talented he is, but everything in this fight favors Oscar (reach, style, and now he's pissed off as well), Teddy picked Pac by decision the other night, but honestly I'm going with DLH, and I think this is going to go down as one of the all-time great performances for him.

    I'll be cheering my ass off for Oscar, though I love both fighters.

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,953
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyeffinjetsfan View Post

    EDIT: I just learned that they are using 8 oz. gloves....I don't know if any of you have ever laced up an 8 oz. glove, but they're not much more than glorified mittens....I'm not sure what brand they are using, but if it's a Reyes or a Grant glove, it definately benefits the bigger puncher.
    I had a trainer once tell me that 8 ouncers were better off protecting your own hands then your face from the other guy. Both fighters have very, very good chins, however when it comes to body shots, light gloves like these are just brutal.

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Middlesex County, NJ
    Posts
    3,339
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan View Post
    I had a trainer once tell me that 8 ouncers were better off protecting your own hands then your face from the other guy. Both fighters have very, very good chins, however when it comes to body shots, light gloves like these are just brutal.
    Agreed, but it depends on which glove....An Everlast for example, has the majority of the padding at the front portion of the glove which better protects your hands and is considered more of a "boxers" glove, whereas the Reyes or Grant gloves have most of the padding placed on top of the glove exposing more of the knuckles and is considered the "punchers" glove....I know Oscar has had some hand problems during his career, but I'm not sure about Pac.

    As for the fight, it's a style match-up which is making it hard for me to choose....If Oscar plays it cute and moves a lot, I give him the edge, but if he's baited into a close brawl (like Duran did to Leonard in '80), I give Pac the edge....I just don't know if Pac is big enough to hurt Oscar....I hope so, because I don't want to see another De La Hoya v. Trinidad track meet....I'd like to see Oscar stretched out, looking up at the lights so there are no excuses.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL..

    De La Hoya didn't stand a chance in this fight. Pac Man was just way way way way to quick.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,237
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes he does.

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    709
    Post Thanks / Like
    "One of the biggest upsets"?
    the fight went off at 2-1.

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    880
    Post Thanks / Like
    was not even one of the bigger upsets of the year.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us